HOW TO GET AWAY WITH MURDER Ratings

Ratings: HTGAWM Stabilizes, While Grey's Slips to Season Lows

ABC’s Grey’s Anatomy this Thursday drew 7.2 million total viewers and a 2.1 rating (per finals), slipping 8 percent and a tenth to its smallest audience since December 2013 and a season low in the demo.

Leading out of that, Scandal (5.9 mil/1.7) dipped for a third straight episode, to new series lows. HTGAWM (4.9 mil/1.5) however stabilized after successive slips to series lows.

Elsewhere in the ratings….

THE CW | Legends of Tomorrow’s visit from the Green Arrows did 2.5 mil and a 0.9, up 9 percent and a tenth. The 100 (1.4 mil/0.6) also ticked up.

NBC | Apocalypse (2.6 mil/0.6) and Blacklist (6 mil/1.3) were steady, while Shades of Blue (5 mil/1.0) dipped a tenth.

CBS | Big Bang No. 200 (15.9 mil/3.8), Life in Pieces (9.2 mil/2.1) and Mom (7.9 mil/1.8) were steady in the demo, 2 Broke Girls (6.6 mil/1.7) rose two tenths to match its season high and Elementary (5.8 mil/1.1) ticked up.

FOX | American Idol (8.7 mil/2.1) was up 6 percent and a tenth week-to-week.

1. Caroline says:

How long is Scandal going to continue to suck? What a huge mess, I don’t see how Shonda works her way out of it, the ratings OR storyline.

• Sj says:

I agree. I’m about to drop it from my dvr. Its gotten ridiculously stupid & doesnt hold my attention. I feel no interest. The best part of last night was a 50 year old shirtless Fitz

• DakotaS says:

Idol has better ratings than Scandal or Murder but you’d never know that from the hype Shinya gets and the crap Idol gets

• Cena Gomez says:

Shonda has turned Olivia into a sex addict. For who? Jake. Nobody is watching for Jake and Liv sex scenes. At least with the Olitz love scenes you had a love story and two sexy actors with chemistry.

2. Tia says:

Grey’s was so boring last night.. first time this season, I was really enjoying s12.
    Scandal ratings OUCH.

3. Brian says:

No one can seriously be surprised by Scandal’s ratings drops. Scandal is just god-awful right now. Which makes me sad because at one time, the show was very good. But now it’s just so bad, I can’t see it ever coming back to being what it once was. Just very baffled by why Shonda Rhimes would ruin this show the way she has, especially when she has a new show coming out soon.

• iakovos says:

Problem is they crammed so many shocks and surprises and told stories so quickly in earlier seasons, they are left to wonder, “Now what?” Shondashows, as many series do, start out with a solid story bible, then they implode and future seasons are weak. Characters first, situations second. Shows today seem to forget that.

• Cena Gomez says:

I don’t think that is the reason. Poor writing of the lead female is at the top of the list. Then you take away the core love story and replace it with booty calls after Olivia had an abortion. Come one…fans aren’t going to watch garbage. People are still angry about 509. It just shows, ABC and Shonda do not are or listen to their fans. Even on Scandal facebook people were not happy with the show. I guess reality is setting in now. Scandal down to 5.88 million viewers.

4. Coach Taylor says:

Yikes, hope HTGAWM doesnt get canceled – sure looks like next season could be it if it does get renewed

• Max says:

Yet Idol got cancelled with better ratings than most of these shows. You have to wonder how hands on Shonda is with all these shows. One person can’t do it all. Her production company helps get it on the air but others are writing and producing. The shows also quickly become so unrealistic that they turn into bad soaps. Scandal just jumped the shark & is ridiculous & boring. Murder, already with a shortened season, is worth watching because of Viola but it can be hard to follow & definitely hard for a new viewer to jump in & understand what’s going on. I don’t think having these shows on 3 month hiatus in the middle of the season is a good idea either. Thats too long a break

• Carm says:

Grey’s, Scandal and HTGAWM have all been renewed already.

5. Whatevah says:

This just goes to show that Shonda cares more about Jackson and April then the viewers do.

• Bigdede says:

Thank you!! April was never a great character to begin with and Japril aren’t a cute or interesting couple. I know I tuned out because I can only take 5 minutes of April

6. Gul says:

Well.. I was pretty certain Grey’s would fall like it has been since the winter finale but the numbers, considering the episode was focused solely on a “side couple that no one cares about” as some say for a show in its 12th season? Pretty good imo. Compared to Scandal & HTGAWM? Fantastic!

7. Sara says:

All that promotion non stop on twitter about Japril the movie wasn’t a huge success, I guess Japril after 5 seasons are not everyone’s cup of tea. A whole episode wasn’t needed at all for them to end up getting divorced. I watched to see if other characters will have something, but I was seriously bored.

8. Mr. Tran K says:

Hope Life in Pieces gets renewed soon because CBS needs a hit sitcom to breakthrough and it continues to have a big boost for a post Big Bang lead-in.

9. ? says:

Looks like the ratings are reflecting the quality of Scandal. I feel like the show had a lot of rope from fans to turn itself around and didn’t, so I’m not surprised that now’s the time for the ratings slide to begin. It’s probably affecting HTGAWM’s ratings, but it’s hard to say with a 10 PM show (and 1.5 is good for 10 PM regardless). Who’d have thought Grey’s would be the highest performer of the night after 12 years though, and in the former ABC death slot, too? Certainly not going to be ending anytime soon, maybe not even if Ellen Pompeo decides it’s time to leave (which she won’t).

10. Libra Dino says:

Grey’s was just way too boring last night with the very confusing flashbacks and the JApril themed episode. For such a great show, last night really missed the mark. But not so much I won’t be back next week. Still a stellar show! Just didn’t hold my interest.

11. wrstlgirl says:

Shades of Blue has really gotten good. I’m glad I stuck with it especially since it’s already been renewed. I didn’t really start enjoying it until about the 3rd or 4th episode. As far as The Blacklist goes I’ve grown tired of the Liz/Red secret connection. Just tell us already, lol.

• Mr. Tran K says:

IKR. After what Liz has been through since the aftermath of last season’s finale, being on the run and now having a baby. Looks like she’s now caught between Red and her rekindled romance with Tom. Can’t wait when The Blacklist returns April 7th.

• wrstlgirl says:

I can’t believe it’s off for a month. I have a horrible feeling that Red is gonna get rid of Tom. I hope I’m wrong because I like him w/Liz.

12. Time to end Scandal. Shonda lost me as a viewer last year. Gotta say I really like the CBS 9pm hour with Mom and 2 Broke Girls.

• Mr. Tran K says:

Already quit Scandal for good. Hope Mom gets renewed soon because the show keeps getting better and better and the same goes for 2 Broke Girls but I don’t know if it gets a proper “final season” next year.

13. Nicolas. says:

Scandal’s ratings are lower and lower since Papa Pope came back.

14. John NYC says:

That 200th was a nice show. Loved the bathroom Penny-Sheldon scene. They always have the best scenes together.

Plus seeing Prof. Hawking was a hoot.

15. I see Scandal is still circling series lows. It deserves it from what I’ve seen. I also think a surprising number of people tuned out after being played over “Olitz At Last” during S5-A.

I just wonder if Shonda will allow her faves to be backburnered to correct Scandal to showcase all the elements that brought higher ratings in prior seasons or will she continue to be blindly stubborn about propping her faves in bad storylines to the detriment of the overall show.

I’m enjoying this season of Grey’s but that Japril-centric episode did nothing for me even though the actors were very good in it.

16. Angel says:

happy for THE 100 :)

17. Leah says:

The Grey’s episode was a waste of time. It wasn’t necessary circling a whole episode all about their relationship. Hopefully the next episodes won’t be focused on them again with this whole pregnancy thing!

18. Boiler says:

Really nice night for CBS. Still don’t know if Life is that good or just people too lazy to change channel after Big Bang. Who woulda thought Elementary would be most watched in its hour. Great for them. Hope this night keeps it going. Maybe Elementary should stay where it is now.

• Mr. Tran K says:

Life in Pieces has done a great job in its post Big Bang lead-in and not only that the premise of the show involving four stories into one big half hour sitcom it’s all because of an all star cast (Colin Hanks, Betsy Brandt, Dianne Weist and James Brolin among others). As for Elementary, how would the last two showings on Thursday help the series move to Sundays starting March 20th?

19. EM says:

Grey’s will go back up next week. A lot of people tuned out because in Sarah’s TV Line interview she said “It’s entirely Jackson and April.” Jesse tweeted “episode is ENTIRELY japril.” People were warned ahead of time they were going to be the focus and choose not to watch. I did watch but it was a struggle. I found the episode to be boring and the flashbacks didn’t flow well.

20. Cena Gomez says:

Josh Malina told Scandal core Olitz fans to go read fan fiction. Shonda Rhimes is always telling fans they are more than welcome to stop watching. I guess those Olitz fans or any former Scandal fans not happy with the show took their advice.

The plot point abortion that will never be explained was last the straw. They went from AtLast to bait and switch. Fans dropped the show and some will never return. OUCH!

21. anoninga says:

I didn’t want to think that Shonda Rhimes was evil and twisted with Scandal and its core fan base for the longest time. We got the first half of season 5 and it was amazing and then that abortion happened and I was sickened. No one wants to see that! What was it Mellie said “Rome can burn?” Well it looks like Scandal is burning and I couldn’t be happier. But everyone on here know this…she’ll try to turn things around…bring liv and fitz together again…make the ratings go up again only to pull the same thing again. All for what? To prop up Scott Foley? That’s her mo and I for one am done.

22. Mona says:

Shonda told us fans to stop watching if we didn’t like the writing, and I for one stopped watching. Have recently stopped watching Greys after what she did to April and Jackson. Can no one have a decent relationship in Shonda land. She should learn from Madam Secretary. Am not watching anything Shonda is involved in. For Olitz I will read fanfiction. Not here for the foolishness!

• anoninga says:

Shonda doesn’t believe in men and women being together. She believes in destroying men to uplift women. But she’s just destroyed any beauty in Olivia’s character. She’s made her a whore, liar, and killer and she’s destroyed the one relationship Olivia had that was actually good for her. Fitz never tried to choke her!!!
      Oh and don’t get me started on what she did to Grey’s Anatomy. I shipped Merder and haven’t watched since that god awful killing of Mcdreamy.
      Good for Shonda for taking her show back from the fans that’s a great strategy lady….the fans are what got her TGIT…now we are the one’s taking it back. Ha witch!