24 Legacy Jimmy Smits

24: Legacy Enlists Jimmy Smits

Fox’s in-the-works 24 reboot is making time for Emmy winner Jimmy Smits.

TVLine has learned that the NYPD Blue and Sons of Anarchy vet is joining the network’s 24: Legacy pilot in the series-regular role of John Donovan, a powerful U.S. Senator with higher political aspirations, who is married to the blazing smart former head of CTU (Homeland’s Miranda Otto).

As previously reported, The Walking Dead‘s Corey Hawkins will essentially be playing the new Jack Bauer in the potential series. His character, Eric Carter, is a former Army Ranger who finds himself pulled back into action as his past comes looking for him. He eventually turns to CTU for help in saving his life and stopping what potentially could be one of the largest-scale terror attacks on American soil.

The cast also includes The Messengers‘ Anna Diop (as Eric’s wife) and Masters of Sex‘s Teddy Sears (as the new head of CTU).

“There’s a time jump, a new organization, a completely different story,” Fox co-chairman and CEO Dana Walden teased last week. “It’s a contemporary story about the potential to activate sleeper cells in the United States. There are nods in the pilot to prior CTU agents, but no ongoing characters.”

Fox has thus far only ordered a pilot, which will feature nods to prior CTU agents but no ongoing characters — that includes Kiefer Sutherland’s Jack (although the actor may serve as an EP on the project alongside fellow 24 vets Howard Gordon, Manny Coto and Evan Katz).

“I have said from the beginning that the real star of 24 is the idea, and I mean that wholeheartedly,” Sutherland recently said of the revival. “I have every faith they’ll do something cool and clever.”

The new series would span 12 episodes, similar to the recent, acclaimed limited series.

1. Macontosh2000 says:

2. wrstlgirl says:

Can’t go wrong with the Smits.

3. 24Fan1980 says:

Smits character sounds very similar to David Palmer in season 1 (a US Senator running for President).

4. Mr. Tran K says:

I enjoy Jimmy Smits during his run on NYPD Blue. Excited about his new gig in the upcoming 24: Legacy.

5. Imagecrafters says:

Love Jimmy, but still not watching 24.

6. Christopher Plane says:

So sort of like Bourne Legacy which didn’t have Bourne, 24 Legacy is 24 with no Bauer. Guess I’ll give it a shot but I’m not super “jack”ed about it.

7. RICO says:

I have said from the beginning that the real star of 24 is the idea, and I mean that wholeheartedly, The Sad Part About This Statement Is, You may Actually Believe This! You Don’t Mess With Perfection. You throw whatever BIG Names in this you like, But Without Kiefer Sutherland’s As Jack Bauer! All You Have Is “CTU COUNTERFEIT TERRORIST UNIT (made in exact imitation of something valuable or important with the intention to deceive or defraud): not – Counter Terrorist Unit (CTU)! Dammm It!

8. Matilda says:

Well I am sorry to say that I will not be watching this so call new 24. Call it something else an maybe I’ll change my mind. There is only one Jack Bauer for me.

9. Randy says:

The ending of the last “24”, with Jack Bauer being hauled off to Russia, and that is where he is left? Not really interested in investing time in a new ” hero” if the agency he works for leaves the old “hero”–Jack–to meet an end like that. Sorry, but after all Jack did to save his country, he deserves a better rate.

10. Kathy Felps says:

Jimmy Smits? Count me in! He is always great!

11. Vickie says:

Sorry Kiefer. The real star of 24 is Jack.

12. Brenda Garland says:

Nothing against Jimmy Smits, but as far as I am concerned, there is no 24 without Jack Bauer!!

13. Sheresa Exum says:

Nope…not interested in a 24 show that doesn’t include continuity of characters and especially Keifer Sutherland as Jack Bauer. Regardless of what they say (Including him) HE was the show…Jack Bauer was 24. Not 24 without that. I’ll watch old episodes. This could be a new show…but it’s not 24.

14. Mary S says:

I watched about half of one episode of 24 and never again. But, I love Jimmy Smits, was terribly unhappy when his series Outlaw was cancelled after only 8 episodes. I have never seen Sons of Anarchy or any of the other shows he has been in, other than West Wing (I hated that it was cancelled before we found out if he won the election…no, I just hated that it was cancelled!) and I also liked him in Dexter, another cancelled show!…I have missed him and wondered where he was and what he was doing….guess my viewing tastes are not in sync with his roles…I guess I’ll have to watch a show that I never did like, just to see him again, at least once.

• Mary S says:

Correction: I first saw him in NYPD, which is where my infatuation began…so, I’ve seen him in NYPD, West Wing, Dexter, and his way-too-early-cancelled Outlaw.

• Tollu says:

You’ve not seen 24, sorry you’ve not seen a good tv series… I just keep wondering why all the shows you’ve seen just kept getting cancelled, probably because Jimmy stars in them, I just hope 24 wont eventually gets cancelled after weaving Jimmy into it but in all, no 24 without Bauer cos Bauer make 24 what it is, continuity isn’t something that should be swept under the carpet.

15. Firas says:

Without kiefer there’s no 24
    I prefer calling it 12

16. Trish says:

A new 24 without kiefer Sutherland will NEVER be the same! He makes 24 the amazing show/tv series/ film that it is.

17. Bill says:

Are you kidding me Jack Bauer will not played by Kiefer. . I will not watch it.
    What a waste of time.

18. Sonya van Zantwijk says:

24 was one of my all time favourites, you’ll need to “pull out” something very special to top it! Keeping an open mind.

19. Nicki says:

It sucks to only plan 12 of the 24 hours in the show! It made me angry last time too! Rethink that please!!!

20. Frank says:

It’s not 24 without Jack!

21. janice lowe says:

24 is nothinthing without Keifer Sutherland as Jack Bauer. Do not try to reinvent the wheel. It will flop. Keifer or keep the success alive by leaving it alone.
    Do not get me wrong love Smitt but there is no way he is a Keifer. It is like trying to make Man from Uncle without Robert Vaughn and David Mc callum A FLOP

22. Luqmon Afolabi says:

Know know know hell know 24 wittout Jack Bauer it is not a 24 and it will never be to me or to all 24 fan all over the world you better change your mind about this or you can bring jack back along the way you said is roning to CTU for protection is simple you can said the only agent within the agency that can save him is Bauer and is earl in prison by the Russian if he help break him out CTU will help him with Jacks help I believe that can rite the grong in this series make all the fan happy

23. David Orth says:

That guy is NOT Jack Bauer.
    Count me out.

24. David Nora says:

The character Jack Bauer was awesome – the cast surrounding Jack constantly changed. Now Jack is gone. I have no idea if Legacy will be any good, but the same writers and director of season 1 are back, so yes I will watch. It’s not like they booted Bauer, Keifer left. Mash was never going to be as good either, and lasted how long?

25. Martie says:

I agree that Jack Bauer is 24, however, times change and people change. Time to move on to something new. Jack will never be replaced though.

26. MaryAnn says:

I’m on my second time around of watching NYPD BLUE reruns!.. From the first episode to the last! I watched the original episodes when they aired every week.! Bobby Simone you’re a great cop!..You are fantastic! I’m looking forward to seeing you in a show like this!

27. Carolee says:

24 without Jack – no way.