Mandatory Credit: Photo by Gregory Pace/BEI/BEI/Shutterstock (3659665dj)
Finn Jones
'Game of Thrones' Fourth Season premiere, New York, America - 18 Mar 2014

Report: Game of Thrones' Finn Jones Lands Title Role in Marvel's Iron Fist

Finn Jones will trade the iron throne for Marvel’s Iron Fist.

The Game of Thrones actor has been cast in the title role of Marvel’s latest Netflix collaboration. Otherwise known as Danny Rand, the supernaturally enhanced hero wields a mystical force known as the Iron Fist, which allows him to laser-focus his chi and, for example, briefly render his fist superhumanly powerful.

The casting was first reported by The Hashtag ShowMarvel’s Iron Fist is the last of Netflix’s originally announced hero series to take shape, following Daredevil (which releases Season 2 on March 18), Jessica Jones(which recently scored a Season 2 pickup) and Luke Cage (starring Mike Colter).

On Thrones, Jones plays Ser Loras Tyrell, lover of the late Renly Baratheon. At the end of Season 5, Loras was last seen perjuring himself in front of the High Sparrow and inadvertently leading to his sister’s imprisonment.

Netflix had no comment on the casting. In January, the streaming video site’s content chief Ted Sarandos told TVLine only that the search for the series’ lead was “in progress.”

1. Mark says:

UMMM WHAT? Isnt Iron Fist asian?

2. Steve says:

I can’t really picture him as Iron Fist, but I only know him from GoT so I’ll give him a chance.

3. Cris says:

Man, I was hoping for an Asian actor. Oh well.

• Chen Nguyen says:

Ew why, the character is white. Stop pushing your asian schoolgirl fetish on us.

• Cris says:

Let me start off by asking you to relax. I expressed a personal wish, and I wasn’t pushing an agenda onto you. Secondly, I support an Asian-American actor because it would correct a legacy of cultural appropriation, provide a fresh story in a cluttered landscape, would display a lead character for Asian representation and would rake in more from an Asian market. So no need to go all petty and disgusting.

Lastly, considering you found serious enough offence to my personal wish (a 10-word internet comment on a message board) I have a personal suspicion that your name -Chen Nguyen- is meant to convey you’re Asian in support of a caucasian actor, when you’re not. But again, my personal suspicion.

4. Eliza says:

Shouldn’t this have [Rumor] attached somewhere in the headline until officially announced? so far no one from the show or Finn’s camp has confirmed the casting and the site linked to in the article is acting on rumor as well.

5. K. says:

Bummer…apart me was hoping it was going to be Ryan Kwanten

6. Guilherme says:

Great casting, I really enjoyed.

7. Joey says:

If this is true, good for him, since the showrunners have reduced Loras’s character to “gay character that is super gay and his defining characteristics are that he is gay, gay, and also gay.”

8. Lori says:

Yah! Can’t wait for some Luke Cage and Iron fist team up.

9. Mike says:

I’m shocked at some of these comments. Are white people not allowed to practice martial arts or have a magical, iron fist?

10. Ian says:

Such an underwhelming casting. I’m kind of numb with the shock of it.
    Can’t say I care what they so with the series now.

11. Fox says:

I’m happy with this casting, he looks like Danny Rand from the comics. Can’t wait to see him alongside Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, and Daredevil!

This isn’t whitewashing PC crowd, sit down.

12. Jimmy Woo says:

Seems like a good choice. Could be a bit blonder. But, a dye job would be easy.

13. ScottJ says:

The whole point of the Iron Fist character, at least at first, was that he wasn’t Asian.

I hope this doesn’t mean curtains for Ser Loras though. The status of the character in the books is unknown, and it doesn’t look like the show will follow the book storyline for him. He only has a few scenes each year though, so fingers crossed it would be possible to do both shows

14. Jerri says:

Man, the comments on here. Why aren’t people calling for a black Batman? Asian Batman? Because that’s not who the character is supposed to be as per the comics. Same thing with Iron Fist. Read the comics before demanding they cast an Asian actor. Geez.

15. Bh@@$39812 says:

How are people going to claim racism in the marvel movie just because the original line up was mostly white men. News flash! The current Avengers line up is 2 black men a Russian woman a Sokovian woman a purple Android and 1 white guy in Captain America. Marvel has made ENORMOUS strides in diversifying it’s universe to a more modern aspect. (Making Heimdall black, making Jerri Hogarth a woman and a powerful homosexual woman at that. Ben Urich too though he was only around one season. Minor character changes go unnoticed MAJOR ONES like the one you are suggesting make a point of forced explanation. Example is making Johnny Storm black & Sue Storm adopted

16. I don’t like him for Iron Fist i really like Iron Fist and this actor really looks like a wimp. I know need to be more build IMO

17. Milena Lombino says:

Hola soy Milena tengo 13 años iva a teatro. les dego mis datos facebook: Milee Lombino
    Whatsapp: 3516630050
    ¡ESPERO SU MENSAJE!

18. Chen Nguyen says:

Steven Yeun would be a terrible choice. He needs to stick with what he does best, delivering pizzas.