Bones Renewed for Final Season 12

Bones Renewed for 12th and Final Season, Fox Promises Fans a 'Meaningful, Satisfying' Ending

Fox is throwing Bones fans a pretty big you-know what.*

The network has renewed the long-running procedural for a 12th and final season, a move that will allow producers to map out a “meaningful and satisfying conclusion,” per Fox Co-Chairmen Dana Walden and Gary Newman.

TVLine has learned that the final season will consist of 12 episodes, which will bring the show’s final episode tally to a whopping 246.

“We couldn’t be more thrilled to have another season, so we can give the show, characters and fans the end they so richly deserve,” said executive producers and showrunners Jonathan Collier and Michael Peterson in a joint statement. “Also knowing there is a Season 12, we can now write the most rewarding Season 11 finale possible — one we hope will leave our fans excited for what’s to come in this final season of Bones.”

Added series creator Hart Hanson: “In times like these, marked by instability and doubt, it’s comforting to know the world can count on at least one dependable beacon of stability. Apparently, that beacon is Bones. It just shows what you can do with an amalgam of genius cast, amazing crew, cunning writers, stalwart studio, sweat, a tough economy, a mercurial network, determination, luck, magic, miracles and the most loyal audience in the world.”

Bones, meanwhile, will resume its current 11th season on Thursday, April 14 (8/7c) with an episode that picks up two months after the events of the fall finale, which found Hodgins paralyzed.

What say you, Bones fans? This is pretty much the best case scenario you were hoping for, yes? Confirm or deny in the comments!

* A bone. They’re throwing you a bone. Get it?

1. LIly says:

The “final” absolutely kills me because I will never be ready to say goodbye to Bones but I’m super happy the show will get a proper final season!

• TaMara says:

Pretty much what you said, Lily. Good on Fox for treating their fans right.

• brandi says:

Agreed!
        I’m actually ok with this. I think it could be time and I’d rather Fox let them go out with a proper send off than just cancel it out of the blue in season 12 or 13.

• Groovycathers says:

What the ladies above me said – sad it’ll be ending once and for all but at least it won’t be rushed. A fitting end to a wonderful show that stole my heart.

I’d love a proper happy ending for Booth and Brennan (and maybe a spin-off for Aubrey…?)

• Jeri says:

Also agree. I’ll be watching all the reruns.

• Mela says:

I could not agree more lily.. This is so hard to believe.. Bones been part of my life.. Just hope to see more than 12 seasons..

2. heather says:

Thank you for season 12 and a season to say goodbye!!

3. Katie T says:

YES!So glad to hear that the show can get the proper farewell it deserves with a fully mapped out ending

4. 12 episodes seems like a weird number but I’m happy we’ll get a satisfying conclusion!

• John NYC says:

Yes but for some reason, IIRC, that has often been the number of choice. maybe it leashes with a seasonal packing in some way? Get the finale in before the Christmas break or whatever?

Sad that something I’ve enjoyed so long is ending, happy it won’t just abruptly disappear.

• Matt says:

I think they like this kind of number because it allows them flexibility in the schedule for their new shows. They can either run Bones early in the season and then make a small commitment to a new show with a partial season order which covers them from risk if it bombs or they can keep Bones in reserve to plug in after they have already launched new shows in the case that one of them flops and gets cut early.

5. Kay says:

As heartbreaking as it will be to say goodbye, 12 is a good number. And I’m so glad they have time to give us all a good send-off.

And thank you for clarifying the bone joke- I got a good chuckle out of it!

6. Matt says:

Wonder if this means the producers dropped the lawsuit?

7. Brad says:

Wow really nice but sad but at least you get a another season and true end wish castle would do that):

8. Guest says:

I don’t watch the show, but I’m always happy to hear a TV network actually care about the fanbase of one of its shows to give it a proper send off.

9. kmw says:

Its about time. At least we aren’t having to deal with this for the rest of this season. I was hoping they would get to their 250th episode but that is a minor quibble. I am really shocked they got this done now. I am so excited we get one more year!!!! Thank you all for getting this done. Yeah one more year of Bones!!!!

• thisismenow says:

I am sort of shocked they didn’t go with 16 episodes to hit the 250 benchmark. They could have aired 10 episodes in the fall and 6 in January and February. But I am glad they are giving us 12 episodes. Beggars can’t be choosers after all.

• Mary S says:

That’s a great idea…wanting to meet that 250 benchmark…from your fingers to God’s ears!

• Daniel says:

They probably get more $$$ in the contracts of lead actors & producer suing FOX. Better to end it now… With a bare minimum, just under the 250. Most shows don’t get 12, they usually get 6… So Bones should be grateful.

10. Lucille says:

Just love love love Bones!! I can watch repeats all the time and never get bored. Looking forward to the end of this season and a GREAT season 12.

11. Bill says:

I’m glad the network didn’t take out on the fans the legal problems currently going on with the showrunners and the stars.

12. Andrew Hass says:

I’m sad that Bones is ending but after 12 seasons it might be time.Plus now the show has one final season to wrap things up properly and maybe even bring back past characters.

13. EL says:

This means Brennan and Booth will have been together longer than they were apart. Stake in the heart of the Moonlighting Curse, yes?

• Groovycathers says:

Absolutely! For me, it worked just as much when they got together. I just hope for a final scene with them snuggled up in bed, fan-fiction style (OK, may be not *that* much fan-fiction style, otherwise they’d have to put it on HBO :))

14. Arctic Hare! says:

Although the thought of Bones ending causes my eyes to start tearing, I’ve always hoped that they would know their final season ahead of time to write it the way they want to. When you can lead up to it and craft it all together… I’m so glad Bones will get this. It’s meant a lot to me and I wish them all well and you’ll be missed, but I’m sure you will finish strong! And that’s so great.

15. Sarah says:

This is bittersweet and I wish it was a full season…but YAY!!!!!!!!

16. Adviel says:

Excellent news!! I have been a fan since day 1

17. Mary S says:

I have very mixed emotions about this! On the one hand, I am glad to know that Bones is renewed. On the other, I am – devastated is too strong a word – but the only one that comes to mind. With Castle being in danger, too, what will I be able to watch that has all the characters liking/loving each other, working together in harmony, making me smile throughout the show?? There was The Mentalist, but that’s been gone a while, and Warehouse 13, but that’s gone, too, as are White Collar, Perception, and Covert Affairs.
    The things they call sitcoms are, for the most part, not amusing to me at all. I watch Grandfathered, but it gives me a few laughs, though I do like it, and Life In Pieces is tolerable only because it has a good cast and James Brolin makes me laugh out loud EVERY episode. I saw the Paget Brewster, one of the leads in Grandfathered, has signed with another show, which makes me worry about G’fathered…
    Can someone please suggest a show with heart that I might like? The ones that get all the glory do absolutely nothing for me; they seem to be aimed at 15-year-olds.
    Yes, there are other shows I watch and enjoy, but Bones and Castle are unique in the relationships between characters and the smiles they provide….and they are excellent at solving crimes in their own ways.
    Learning of the end of Bones is like seeing your beloved friend in the hospital with a terminal disease. You want to spend every moment possible with them, knowing that soon they will be but a sweet memory….hoping against hope that the doctors will find a cure. HOUSE could do it, but he’s gone, too.
    I’m trying to figure out why and at what point the networks decided that we need shows without heart or soul.

• Mary S says:

Ok, folks, I am deeply grateful that we still have the NCIS franchise and the final CSI show…those do satisfy certain “heart and soul” needs, but there will never be a substitute for Brennan and Booth, nor can there be a substitute for Castle and Beckett.

• Arctic Hare! says:

I agree with you about the shows with characters that get along and work well together. Those are my favorite TV shows, too. I don’t have many recommendations at the moment for you, but one that I just started and have loved is Death in Paradise. It surprised me how much I liked it. :D
      Yes, I do wonder, too… Networks: Heart and soul in a TV show is important! <3 :)

• EL says:

Mary, if you can get Netflix, there are a variety of wonderful shows from both the US and the UK that you can sample and choose ones you like. If you can’t, the ones I find appealing are Elementary and Madam Secretary. The relationship between the McCords in the latter is wonderful.

• Groovycathers says:

Also Amazon Prime – loving “Mozart in the Jungle” and Fox’s Lucifer – that is getting very interesting between Lucifer and Chloe! I’m still enjoying Sleepy Hollow as well, but I think that looks like it might get cancelled, which is a shame. :(

• fatalsin says:

I really love Scorpion and it’s “heart” try it out!

• Lee says:

If you enjoyed Covert Affair and White Collar – then check out Suits, Royal Pains, Burn Notice – I LOVE USA – although they average a 7 season run

• Mary S.: I’m surprised you didn’t list NCIS as one of your favorites… It is the absolute favorite of mine; I’ve watched every episode so many times I could probably recite them all from memory. I, too, love “Bones” and “Castle,” along with all the CSI’s (including “CSI: Cyber”) – anyway, if you need something with a great ensemble cast and fabulous plots, give NCIS (the original) a look-see. I’m sure you’ll like it, and then you can try “NCIS: Los Angeles” and “NCIS: New Orleans.” While I do like those last two, the original is the one that owns my heart and soul.

• Kerie says:

I agree with you and I love the fact that all your favorites you mentioned I feel the say way about. I miss them all! I watch/listen to bones reruns every night on Netflix, to help me sleep. Not because they make me fall asleep or anything but becuase they are so familiar and comforting it’s like listening to a bedtime story, something to concentrate on while I unwind for the day. Although there are a few new ones I like. Lucifer, super girl, legends of tomorrow, the shannara chronicles, the magicians, major crimes, the flash,the blacklist, izombie, the last ship, switched at birth, scandle, the fosters, satisfaction, rizzoli and isles, outlander, Nashville, scorpion, quantico, and blindspot in no particular order. Well lol that’s my list of suggestions for you and I guess it’s more than a few, I hope you at lest find a few there you may like.

18. I am so thrilled that they are giving us a 12th season of BONES. It has become my vfavorite show and I watch it every day.

19. Sandy Holl says:

I am thankful for 12 episodes for season 12, but feel that the number of episodes is so unfair!!! FOX caused the lawsuit and THE ACtors and crew deserve better treatment1!

20. Nancy says:

I am thrilled that amidst legal problems that the show will still get a proper send off.
    I guess all good things must come to an end eventually. I sincerely hope that HH and SN return to write that meaningful ending! Amen concerning the moonlighting curse! Emily and David debunked that. Together they have been wonderful over the years!

21. Ralph says:

Networks should do this more often, especially for longer running shows. A bit of closure even if it’s just 1 extra episode to wrap up. I’m looking at you TNT (Still mad about Dallas). Farewell Bones. Enjoyed you.

• John NYC says:

The challenge can be that for some longer running shows they’ve gotten VERY expensive and if they’re ratings have fallen off a cliff then the advertisers won’t pay for the show at high rates. And television isn’t a charity.

Networks can’t bleed money out for a ratings/financial train wreck.

• EL says:

Fox has made over a billion dollars profit on Bones over the last decade. Somehow I don’t see that return on investment as ‘bleeding’, ‘hemorrhaging’ or any other form of discomfort. Bones has been a cash cow for Fox so giving it a 12th season is hardly a charitable gesture.

• John NYC says:

LOL, for a business any activity that loses money NOW is a challenge so, yes, were a production to lose money on every broadcast it would be the very definition of charity to continue with it. Nice when they do for committed fans, but not something any viewer is entailed to. Just a nice charitable gesture.

And “billion dollars”? I somehow doubt that. Source?

• heather says:

Read the lawsuit, it’s an interesting read :-) It states that Bones made Fox Studio alone 1.2 BILLION dollars (or it could be 1.3) Fox network would be making along those lines too

• heather says:

“Bones has been a cash cow for Fox so giving it a 12th season is hardly a charitable gesture”

I know right? Reading the lawsuit was an absolute eye opener

Bones made Fox studio alone over a billion dollars, it’s a total cash cow for Fox. 💰💵💲

22. Marci says:

I don’t want to say goodbye, but I am glad we get the rest of this season and one more!

23. Hannah says:

This is a best case scenario tbh. I’m glad it will get the chance to end things properly.

24. JenJ says:

Whoo Hooo! Absolutely thrilled at this! With all of the problems going on with the series, I’m so glad that this show is at least being renewed. I can’t wait for its return for the final episodes for this season, as it is. And at least we will get a satisfying ending next season, too.

25. Kathy Baker says:

I’m glad they’re getting a full season to wrap up the series. I’ll be sad to see it go, but it’s had a great run. I still love the show, but when they killed off Sweets instead of working around John Francis Daley’s other committments, they dropped from being in a tie as my favorite show.

26. Marci says:

Thank you, Fox, for giving us fans another 12 episodes to enjoy a proper conclusion to the series.

27. Grey says:

Bones fans are lucky. Last May, ABC was ready to renew Castle without one of its two leads. Bones are promised a meaninful and satisfying ending, Castle fans will be lucky if they get one. Congratulations to you all.

28. The Truth says:

Meaningful and satisfying went out the window a long time ago, even before the lame sleepy hollow crossover.

29. Rick Katze says:

Fox, which cancelled several shows previously totally ignoring its fans, has become a model which all networks should follow. From Fringe to Bones, Fox has been doing right. Too bad the Nothing But Contempt network simply kills shows with no pretense of an ending.

30. Marge Herman says:

I am very, very happy to have season 12 even if it is a half season!! I will take what i can get but I will be sad to see it end at anytime!! This is better news than expected!! I will never have to say goodbye to BONES as long as they have reruns and my valued dvd collection!! I love Hart Hanson’s comments in the above article! He is such a great guy and BONES is his baby!#diehardBonesFan #IloveBones

31. Kim says:

We knew it had to end some time. I wish they had rounded the total to 250 episodes. Give them a great send off. And I wish (and I know it’s HIGHLY unlikely) we could see Zack get a reprieve.

• Groovycathers says:

maybe it’ll be one of those satisfying things for season 12 – they’ve had him behind bars since the end of S3, so that’s got to be time for lenience for some good behaviour!

32. kmw says:

For all of the irritation and anger I have directed to FOX at least they made things right and are giving Bones a proper send off. Its much better to hear a final season than cancelled with no warning. A 12th season can give proper closure and enough time for some of us to let go. David and Emily thanked the fans but I would like to thank them for giving us a very entertaining fun romantic series that managed to do most things right, especially Booth and Brennan being together as a couple. As was stated elsewhere when Bones ends they will have been together longer than they were just partners and that in itself is remarkable in this time when it is the thing to do to split couples to keep them interesting and again we have David and Emily to thank for that even in frustrating years( to some the 6th season for others last season). Its also remarkable it still on the air because of all the shuffling FOX put it thru. So thank you to FOX as well for allowing fans one last ride for Bones and it has been a pretty good one.

33. jj says:

a “meaningful and satisfying conclusion,”

Base on past history of this show, I take this comment with less than a grain of salt.

• DLG says:

I wonder if we will even get one meaningful Booth and Brennan kiss (or love scene) anywhere in this “satisfying” ending? They have a lot of missed “moments” to make up for (as far as I am concerned) in order to make it an actual “satisfying, meaningful” ending for Booth and Bones fans! I hope they don’t give Aubrey 90 percent of the scenes like they have been doing since season 10!

• Phatpharm says:

I was thinking the same thing. It is weird that no one else did. I find I never agree with the “awesomeness” of what’s to come.

34. Ru says:

They listened to the fans for once! Hopefully we’ll get an amazing final season!

35. Jim Lauck says:

This is justice for loyal fans of the Series. As stated above, this will allow for a palatable Season 11 ending, and then the 12 new episodes that are to comprise Season 12 can lay groundwork for meaningful and happy (hopefully) conclusions for all characters.

I am glad to hear that Fox, the Production Company and stars could settle all bickering and grievances like level-headed adults. Bravo!

36. Em says:

This is both really sad news and incredibly satisfying. I practically grew up with Bones – I started watching it as a fairly awkward nerdy teenager with so much identification with Temperance Brennan, and I’ve followed it through thick and thin all the way!! It’s driven me mad more than once, but it’s like an old friend that I’d always come back to. It’s so thoughtful of Fox to end it this way (not dissimilar to Fringe, and that was very kind to all the fans), this was we can get closure. And I’ll be needing closure, I’ve been a Bones girl for so long…

37. considering everyone involved in the show is currently suing Fox, even a really short 12th season is a miracle

38. beergas says:

Great but gonna miss them all. Prob see some elsewhere soon. Read Gellar to do a CNBC “Cruel Intentions” reboot. Not sure what means for Supergirl

39. Kiane says:

They should have ended up with 250 episodes instead of 246.

40. Pat says:

I knew that one of these days the words Final Season was going to be announced. As a long time fan of this show since day 1, I am just happy to hear that we will be getting a Season 12 and I just hope that everyone’s storyline is wrapped up with positive and happy outcomes.

41. Jared says:

I’ve personally never watched Bones but am so happy for the fans that it’s actually getting a proper ending.

42. Curtis says:

Yes. Thank you. A lot to wrap up. Now

43. Terri Sharrow says:

Yes for bones

44. Elizabeth says:

45. Elizabeth says:

I really love Bones and hate to see it end. Wish it could stay on for many more years. I did not like when Sweets died because I loved him with Daisy and Booth. But if it does have to end, I would rather it be proper and not just end if us wondering what happened. Thanks to all the stars and writers for making this such a great show. Wishing you all the best.

46. Jess says:

Glad that we are getting an actual ending instead of it just being canceled

47. vp says:

to bad, wish it would go on a few more years, love, love the show, cast & stories. Will miss it but will watch reruns on TNT love them for having it on .

48. vp says:

Forgot to thank Fox for letting it happen properly. Thanks

49. gret56 says:

Great News!! I hope that perhaps they can bring back JFD (John Francis Daley) if only as a ghost for the finale. I really miss him as Sweets!!