smg-cruel-intentions

Sarah Michelle Gellar Set to Headline Cruel Intentions Pilot for NBC

Cruel Intentions‘ biggest, baddest bitch is officially back.

Sarah Michelle Gellar will be part of the NBC pilot that is a sequel to the 1999 movie in which she starred, the actress announced Wednesday via Instagram.

Per Gellar’s social media post, she’ll reprise the role of Kathryn Merteuil, who in the movie was a vindictive, two-faced, cocaine-sniffing manipulator and stepsister to Ryan Phillippe’s Sebastian.

Picking up over 15 years after the end of the movie, the project follows the cunning Kathryn as she vies for control of Valmont International as well as the soul of Bash Casey, the son of the late Sebastian Valmont and Annette Hargrove. Upon discovering his late father’s legacy in a hidden journal, Bash is introduced to a world of sex, money, power and corruption he never could have imagined.

Per the official character description, Kathryn is every bit as sexy, smart and charming as we remember, and she’s now married to the wealthy Pascal Barrett and is at the head of a laudable youth-rehabilitation movement and involved in a local private school.

Bash’s arrival — and, accordingly, that of his mother — throws Kathryn off her game a bit… though, of course, she never shows it.

Bash will be played by Taylor John Smith (American Crime). Roger Kumble, who wrote and directed the Cruel Intentions film, penned the pilot with Lindsey Rosin and Jordan Ross (of The Unauthorized Musical Parody Of Cruel Intentions).

Gellar’s last series-regular role was on CBS’ The Crazy Ones. Her TV resumé also includes Buffy the Vampire SlayerRingerAll My Children and (lest we forget!) Swans Crossing.

How do you feel about Gellar’s reprising her role? Hit the comments and let us know!

1. Phillip says:

This brightens my day! Ecstatic about this news!!

2. Meg says:

Awesome! Now they just need Reese… maybe Selma too.

• lauren says:

This is why we can’t have nice things. People get greedy/silly instead of just saying “thank you”

• Ian says:

I actually really think both Reese and Selma aren’t impossible gets for appearances if the show is a hit and gets a lot of press. It just depends on if everybody’s talking about it, which it has every possibility of doing with Sarah and Roger onboard. Im so excited.
      But while I liked Taylor’s little role in American Crime, I imagined the son of Sebastian being ridiculously handsome. Not the case with this casting.

• DL says:

Me personally, I care more that he’s 1) a good actor, and 2) physically resembles the actors who play his parents. I haven’t watched American Crime so I can’t speak to his acting ability, but as far as resemblance goes I don’t know if you could do any better than him.

• Tales says:

The problem is that it now seems like Annette will be a major character in the sequel series, so unless Cruel Intentions the series is meant to have shorter seasons chances are Reese Witherspoon is a no-go to reprise her iconic role.

• He actually resembles Ryan P and I think that you are using your own standards when it comes to “ridiculously handsome”. Taylor is a very good-looking guy, in my opinion.

• Yolanda says:

Yeah I think Reese won’t mind having guest appearance or two. She’s still friends with SMG, right? It would be so nice if she reprised her role too. Btw I’m sure Selma will be a recurring character!

• lostom66 says:

No Kim Kardashian and Kathy Griffin.

3. Julia says:

EXCELLENT.

4. Lola says:

Nice. I’ll definitely check it out now.

5. Sats says:

Well that is awesome news!!!

6. Fernanda says:

Please NBC, lets order a full season

7. “Per the official character description, Kathryn is every bit as sexy, smart and charming as we remember, and she’s now married to the wealthy Pascal Barrett and is at the head of a laudable youth-rehabilitation movement and involved in a local private school.”

Basically, she bounced back from the ending of the movie relatively unschated.

8. Ruth says:

I’d rather have an updated Buffy the Vampire Slayer come back. Get Danny Strong (who was on the series) to write it , get Joss back on board, aah..oh well a girl can dream can’t she?

• Annie says:

I’d love to see that. A short 6 or 10 episode mini season set 15 years after the finale; with Buffy running an international Slayer organization. ❤️❤️❤️ (comics will be of course ignored lol

9. Agent 86 says:

So, NBC actively sought Sarah Michelle Gellar to reprise her role as Kathryn in this Cruel Intentions TV series, but they refuse to even entertain the thought of Lucy Lawless reprising her role as Xena in the new, rebooted Xena: Warrior Princess TV series?
    What gives NBC? There are plenty of creative storytelling opportunities which would allow Lawless and Renee O’Connor to reprise their iconic roles as Xena and Gabrielle while also introducing new, younger actors who could headline the TV series on an ongoing basis (hopefully with occasional guest appearances by the original Xena and Gabrielle).

• Sasha says:

To be fair, Xena is going to be a reboot, Cruel Intentions is more a sequel. There is a big difference.

Probably not going to watch both to be honest.

• Guy says:

Because Xena is going to be a reboot, i.e. a new interpretation of the material. Cruel Intentions is essentially a sequel, a continuation of the movie. You should be able to tell what the difference is and why one should contain the original cast and the other shouldn’t.

• Agent 86 says:

Fair points, but WHY does NBC insist on it being a reboot, instead of a continuation? If Cruel Intentions is worthy of a continuation, why isn’t the same true for Xena? Lawless is happy to reprise the role on a limited basis (e.g. the pilot episodes). And the show runner could easily come up with a scenario in which, due to time travel, parallel dimensions, alternate realities or some other kind of magical or godly reason, the original Xena and Gabrielle interact with the new, younger Xena and Gabrielle for a grand adventure before leaving the new cast to continue the TV series.

• tvjunkie says:

Lucy Lawless is a getting a bit old for the action sequences required for that role. She has said so herself in interviews.

10. macemoneta says:

This needs to be on Netflix or Showtime, not NBC. It will end up being so diluted I can feel the disappointment from here.

11. Gary says:

You had my curiosity but now you have my attention.

12. David4 says:

Hell yeah! Some great casting!

13. mika02 says:

Now I have to watch it.

14. Paisley says:

Kimberly, that shout out to Swans Crossing was better than the casting news itself! I was SO there for Swans! I LOVED that show!!!

15. Awesome news! Happy to see SMG back on television too!

16. Annie says:

Awesome!! I hope this means there will be significant focus on her character and not just the son. I’ll be tuning in for her.

17. Jay says:

I had no intention of watching but will definitely check it out now!

18. Jessica Lynn Valure says:

That’s cool I’m just glad she’s coming back to tv great actress and I can’t wait to watch it

19. Scribe says:

She won’t do Buffy but she’ll do this?

20. Raftrap says:

Very smart decision, now I’m interested

21. Matt C. says:

This is the best news ever! Cruel Intentions was (and still is) one of my favorite movies, and SMG was obviously the best part of that movie. This HAS to get picked up to series now!

22. Yolanda says:

Fantastic news! For many SMG will awlays be Buffy but for me It’s Kathryn all the way!

23. Guilherme says:

24. Bark Star says:

Didnt care before. Now I do.

25. tahina says:

Love her, great news! <3

26. Walkie says:

More indication that TV is out of new ideas. Yikes.

27. Dude says:

I’m wondering if they’re recasting Reese Witherspoon’s role or if she’ll just be off camera. Seeing as there’s no way she’d ever sign on for this.

28. Joel Felan says:

Can’t wait for this! I love SMG!!!

29. Cas says:

Best news ever!!

30. lostom66 says:

Please don’t wear any underwear…..

31. Leanne says:

I’m intrigued to see if this will work or whether it will be a one series wonder. The original film was clever with a great soundtrack and a good cast. Hopefully it’s good enough for a British network to air it!

32. kate says:

Well, they are not stupid, no one would watch this thing without her, so it was the only logical casting

33. jenn says:

I am super excited about this!! I loved the movie and cannot wait to see SMG back as Kathryn!

34. OMG! This is the best news I’ve ever heard!! Please let the writing be good on this show cuz SMG is gonna kill this! She’ll be amazing!

35. Fiona says:

i’m in

36. matty says:

I can’t wait to see who they get to play Annette. They’ll have to cast somebody who is equally captivating to watch and who can hold her own against SMG. A tough task but I think it can be done.

37. Grace says:

This is the best news! Can’t wait to see her reprise the role.

38. Jared says:

The only way this series would get a potential order is if SMG reprised her role. Now that it’s confirmed can we get Selma Blair too? This was my movie back in the day lol

39. i would never forget swans crossing. so excited to have SMG back on my tv again.

40. chadcronin says:

I will 100% Definitely watch this so please order this to series!