Riverdale Archie Cast K.J. Apa

The CW's Riverdale Pilot Casts Archie

Ladies and gentlemen, meet Riverdale‘s big man on campus.

K.J. Apa, who hails from New Zealand, has been cast as Archie in The CW’s Riverdale pilot, our sister site Deadline reports.

The potential series from Greg Berlanti (Arrow) and writer Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa (Supergirl, Looking), is described as a “subversive” take on the famous characters and the darkness and weirdness bubbling beneath Riverdale’s wholesome façade.

The 18-year-old actor will play the potential series’ lead character, a “conflicted” high school sophomore who has recently bulked up (thanks, summer construction work!) and is interested in 1) girls and 2) writing and performing music, much to the chagrin of his dad (played by Beverly Hills, 90210‘s Luke Perry) and football coach.

Apa is best known for appearing on the New Zealand soap Shortland Street.

Newcomer Ashleigh Murray also was cast as Josie — of the Josie and the Pussycats comics — who is incredibly driven and completely disinterested in recording any song Archie pens.

Also on Wednesday, per Deadline,  Riverdale added newcomer Madelaine Petsch as Cheryl Blossom, a rich redhead and mean girl whose twin brother died in a mysterious accident.

Thoughts on the new face of Archie? Hit the comments!

1. Suso says:

Hello sexy.

2. sd says:

not a bad choice, he looks the part

3. “writing and performing music” should we expect a subversive, dark, and weird cover of Sugar, Sugar?

4. Riana says:

Did they really need to save money with the show? They could have gotten someone that people have heard of. I’m not sure if Archie will work the same way Arrow did with selling the show on the brand alone.

• Annie says:

Naw, I like they cast a new comer. Allows us to come in without bias. Plus, I suspect Mr Lodge will be a rather recognizable casting decision.

• Tai says:

Agreed. Archie is in high school. I’m glad they picked someone at least close to high school age and a fresh face. I loved Archie comics growing up. They already got me as a view based off brand alone. Throw in Greg Berlanti and I’ll give it at least five episodes. Which is more than I give a lot of shows.

5. Lysh says:

I always thought new comic Archie looked like Colton Haynes. He looks CW cute though.

6. BB says:

If this show goes to series, how long do you think it will take for them to introduce Sabrina the Teenage Witch and spin her off onto her own show?

7. Marco says:

Wait… rich evil redhead whose twin brother died in a mysterious accident… Archie is a redhead (or not, guessing from the picture). Is anyone pondering what I’m pondering?

8. Kiane says:

Just what the heck is it with these studios casting European actors and actresses in these roles? Archie is as American as you get and a New Zealander as an American character?

• Ro says:

New Zealand isn’t in Europe. Also, there are other non-American actors playing American rolls (Alan Cumming – Eli from The Good Wife – is Scottish, Alex O’Loughlin – McGarrett from the new Hawaii-50 – is Australian, etc). Maybe they’re more qualified.

• Angus says:

If you haven’t noticed most of the superheros actors are not American, live with it. CW is rife with them, aussies, brits and canadians.

9. Okay Dude says:

Cast?
    Did I miss something?
    IS THIS LIVE ACTION?

10. J says:

I need this show in my life..plain and simple.

11. L says:

If they’re going to do a dark, subversive turn, they should definitely bring in Sabrina the Teenage Witch sometime. Didn’t she used to pop in Riverdale in the comics and cause havoc?