Ratings: ABC's Disneyland 60 Special Tops NBC's James Burrows and Friends

ABC’s Wonderful World of Disney celebration of Disneyland’s 60th anniversary drew 6.8 million total viewers and a 1.8 rating on Sunday night, besting NBC’s James Burrows tribute special (5.5 mil and a 1.3) and easily leading the Big 4 in the demo.

Over on CBS, Madam Secretary (10.6 mil/1.2), The Good Wife (7.9 mil/1.0) and CSI: Cyber (6.6 mil/0.9) were all steady.

Fox’s Bob’s Burgers (2.3 mil/1.1), The Simpsons (3.1 mil/1.4) and Family Guy (2.7 mil/1.3) each ticked up a tenth, while Cooper Barrett (1.9 mil/0.8) and Bordertown (1.8 mil/0.7) were flat.

1. Emmy says:

I thought it was weird they had them the same night. I watched the first hour of the Disney but went to Burrows at 9. The Disney was okay, nothing speculation. But I could see why it did well.

I was glad that they didn’t treat it as just a Friends reunion. I know it was a marketing strategy. Actually, compared to the rest, Friends were the least interesting and probably the least funny. I don’t know if it was just me but Aniston looked uncomfortable up there. But who knows. And that just might be my opinion.

Loved Sean Hayes through it all :)

2. Guest says:

Saw a lot of comments on here yesterday saying that the James Burrows special would do between a mid 5 and a low to mid 6…not even close. The Disneyland 60th Anniversary beat it ( 1.8 to 1.3).

3. Ninamags says:

Maybe if they had mentioned the other shows a bit more instead of making it about the Friends, more people would have tuned in.

I had every intention of watching but I started with the Disneyland special and before I knew it, it was in the second hour already. I loved it.

• herman1959 says:

Yes, they definitely overplayed the Friends reunion angle, an insult to Mr. Burrows who has been involved with so many great shows over his career.

• i_kissed_a_trekkie says:

Yes, Friends is the most overrarted generic show ever. Jimmy only directed 15 episodes of Friends. They should have focussed more Will and Grace /Cheers.

4. Elizabeth says:

I wish ABC would do an encore of the Disney Celebration. I watched the first hour but then I had to let it go at 9 during ‘Let it Go’ because my DVR won’t let me record 3 programs at the same time and it was time for Downton Abbey and the James Burrows tribute. I loved the Frasier ‘Tossed Salad and Scrambled Eggs’ bit during the tribute.

5. jr. says:

I thought the ABC Disney 60th show was very good! Pentatonix opened it up, singing outside in Disney parade! Thought then had other pop stars perform and put their twists on popular Disney classic songs! Idena Menzil, Elton John, and a appearance by Harrison Ford and a celebration of Star Wars music, with Star Wars clips, as full orchestra performed. Dereck Hough danced as the Chimney Sweep in Marry Poppins, and Dick Van Dyke appeared at the end, and joined in the dance. It was surprisingly a good show. Even Kermits duo, was good!

6. Michael says:

the Friends segment was the least interesting; Kudrow was the funniest one (no surprise, she was on the show); I can’t look at Aniston the same way after that funny SNL sketch the other week on Weekend Update with that cast member (Vanessa?) playing Rachel, being perpetually surprised by everything. Aniston did that a little bit on the Burrows special panel and it took me out of the moment.

Good for Sean Hayes for putting this show together; Burrows deserves the kudos.

7. c-mo says:

Had to DVR both shows but watched both before bed last night and I have to say that I was terribly disappointed in the Disney special. Since when did the entertainers at Disneyland start dressing like Vegas showgirls? I also find it a ridiculous practice to introduce a celebrity to introduce another celebrity. I did enjoy the “ears” that some of the celebrities wore. I’m also glad that I watched Disney first because I got to linger a little longer on the Burrows special; it was fabulous! I loved hearing the little BTS nuggets but thought it was a little sad that the Friends panel was waaaay longer than the others. Don’t get me wrong, I loved Friends but I also loved the other shows and thought they deserved a little more time. It also would have been nice to verbally recognize the casts of his other shows that weren’t featured, or at least show clips.