Post Mortems
Hawaii Five-0 Abby Spy

Hawaii Five-0's Julie Benz Talks Big Reveal: 'Fans Are Going to Hate Abby!'

The following contains spoilers from this Friday’s Hawaii Five-0.

This week on CBS’ Hawaii Five-0, a Valentine’s Day mystery was solved — as in, why did San Francisco PD inspector Abby Dunn hightail it out of her romantic hotel room rendezvous with Chin and later lie to him about returning to the mainland?

As revealed at the close of Friday’s episode, as Danny was questioned by the FBI about Five-0 tactics, Abby was on the other side of the one-way glass observing, having been planted as a mole to investigate McGarrett’s team.

Here, Julie Benz talks about keeping Abby’s secret (even from her H50 castmates!), who’s out to sink Five-0 and what the twist means for “Chibby” as a couple.

TVLINE | What did Julie Benz Hawaii Five-0know and when did she know it?
They came and told me early on, but I wasn’t allowed to even share it with the rest of the cast. I had to keep a big secret, and I felt terrible about that. [Laughs] [The secrecy was] because they wanted to incorporate shots of me watching Chin and have the audience interpret it in the moment as “Abby’s falling in love with him,” but in hindsight as “She’s observing him.” So if you go back and watch the previous episodes, you’ll see some weird shots where I’m just staring at him.

TVLINE | When your casting was first announced, as a “possible love interest for Chin,” did you almost want to scream, “Oh, but there’s so much more!”?
I didn’t know at that point. It wasn’t until after my first three episodes that they came and told me. I was excited, because every character on the show has some sort of secret, so I was wondering, “What is Abby’s secret going to be? What’s her thing?”

TVLINE | Why did her crisis of conscience come to a boil on Valentine’s Day?
Because I think she’s really falling in love Hawaii Five-0 Benz with Chin. What started off as her investigating and observing and pretty much using whatever it takes to get close, all of a sudden she started developing feelings for him. And then she realizes her own moral ground was broken.

TVLINE | But all of the intimacy, that’s real, yes?
Yes, yes….

TVLINE | Having lied to Chin about being back in San Francisco, is she going to be lying low for a little while, kind of ghosting him? Or would to do that tip her hand?
She’s definitely laying low for a bit, while he thinks that she’s back in San Francisco and is going to come back…. [Laughs]

TVLINE | What sort of inner conflict will we see her deal with?
She’s working for federal prosecutor Robert Coughlin (played by Ingo Rademacher), who has his own personal agenda as to why he wants to take down Five-0. When his agenda comes out, it really puts Abby in a bind because she doesn’t like to be manipulated. She doesn’t want to be a part of someone’s personal vendetta. And she really does feel that what Five-0 stands for, what they’re doing, is great, and she has not observed any abuse of power. She’s put in a really tough position where she has to decide between doing her job and following her heart.

TVLINE | Will it be a few weeks at least before Chin finds out? Make the audience sweat it out a bit?
Yeah, they’ll have to sweat it out. That’s the sad part — the fans are going to hate Abby for a while! [Laughs] It was hard to get them to love her, and now that they do they’re going to be destroyed. [Laughs]

TVLINE | What do you think the odds are of Chin forgiving her in the end?
I think the odds are fairly good. I hope. I think that, ultimately, Abby is trying to do the job that she was hired to do. They will have to work through a lot, obviously, to get to the other side, but I do hope that there’s a happy ending for the two of them. Chin really needs a happy ending!

What did you think of Hawaii Five-0‘s Abby twist?

1. Nero tTVFiddler says:

I’m a fan of Julie Benz, so it has been fun to watch her on Five-0. I do hope she gets to stay on the series beyond this guest arc. I’m not a big fan of the series (was a die-hard fan of the original w/Jack Lord when I was a kid), but have enjoyed watching this season w/Benz aboard.

All the best to Ms. Benz and an Upfront renewal for the series for fall 2016 once we reach May.

2. Joey Padron says:

New episode was really good. Surprised about the reveal at the end. Mess up Abby is betraying Chin & The team.

3. Ruth says:

I’ve been a,fan of hers since Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I hope she stays on and Hawaii 5-O is renewed.

4. Paco says:

I Love a good “Happy Ending”…

5. Brooklyngirl says:

Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice, shame on you. Like Catherine, lying isn’t a good way to handle a relationship. I’m sure Abby had no intentions of falling for Chin ( but who couldn’t, he’s sweet and adorable) but she made her bed … Our guys need honest, loving women not liars. I’m hoping for a quick resolve to this. Let’s see what happens.

6. You had to be dense not to realize there was something else going on with Abbey. My wife and I suspected something like this after the second or third episode. We just didn’t figure the FBI agent with a personal vendetta angle.

7. Murica! says:

Very predictable turn of events. I knew she was a mole.

8. Lori says:

I knew it. I knew something was up with this woman.

9. nina says:

I knew that Danny killing Matts klller back in Colombia and Steve covering it up there were going to be some hard consequences in the future and there were go the consequences had just begun

10. Termy says:

Probably because I wasn’t paying much attention to her character the twist surprised me. Great fight scene at the end of the episode. Seems silly if he walked away from that fall.

11. James Scurry says:

I wish this storyline and others will get Hawaii Five O a final season.

12. JustSayin' says:

Some of us didn’t much are for Abby from minute one… I was grateful that at least she wasn’t under stupid Gabriel’s thumb, at least.

13. BrianR says:

Don’t worry I’m Chin’s crazy ex brother in law will kill her too.

14. Lee says:

Thanks for this interview. It was a huge shock but now I don’t see Abby’s situation as a complete betrayal since she didn’t know Chin and the team when she arrived. She came in undercover to investigate what she was told was a corrupt, rogue task force. I’m relieved to see that she may quickly discover she was misled and do the right thing and tell Chin and the team what is going on. That would have to be a rough conversation to have but the only way to clear the air between them.

I see this as an entirely different situation from what occurred between Steve & Catherine earlier this season as Catherine’s subterfuge has continued over 2 seasons now and involve keeping secrets & lying to a man she knows has been betrayed by lies so tragically in the past.

15. Nicelady says:

I think it’s pretty sad you’re using chan for this woman to get closer to after him losing his wife. He starting to care about her and for her to be an informant not good I do hope she changes her mind 4chan sake

16. Doyle says:

It isn’t the Abby reveal that bothers me, it is the writers thinking we are dumb enough to think Gabriel can take such a beating and get away alive.
    I would appreciate just a little more consideration for being able to think.
    Yes, I’m sure there are plans for a few twists in the story line with him, but that kind of beating plus a landing like that – come on. You can do better than that.

17. Jake says:

I agree with others about Gabriel walking away from that fall (at a minimum, it should have broken his back) but the character has been ridiculous from the start. Hawaii isn’t that big of an island that he could be hunted by the police, the Triads, the Syndicate, and the Yakuza and still operate without any restriction whatsoever. Plus who are these thugs he keeps getting to work for him? None would think of turning him in to the gangs looking for him? Just as ridiculous was the scene a couple weeks ago where he paid a visit to Kono’s husband in jail, and nobody recognized him. The show operates in a fantasy world.

18. Grace says:

I wish ALL the female love interests on this show weren’t liars of some sort. Rachel, Catherine, Amber/Melissa, now Abby… it’s not even confined to the love interests because Doris, Mayor Jameson, and Jenna were liars, too. I love this show but wish it didn’t hate women so much! Kono is pretty much the only one who’s exempt. Anyways, I hope something comes of Abby’s investigation other than Chin feeling like she betrayed him/the team. I love Julie Benz and hope she’s given something good to play other than “doing my job hurt the man I love.” Like Catherine. And Doris.

19. Jim says:

OMG! I just watched the March 11th episode, what a let down. What did we miss?? Last episode Abby is telling Chin she is in San Fran, where is the part that she comes back and Chin says “when did you get back from San Fran”, she walks into his office at the end of the episode like nothing has happened. Expected him to jump up and down “your back!!” this is nuts how could this have been done by the writers. It has ruined the entire series for me. here is no meeting between Abby and Chin on her return.

20. Stanley J Turek says:

Chin deserves a love interest after his loss of his wife; Abby will do a 180 and then join H5O. I miss Katharine a lot! Spicy character for Steve

21. Randy says:

How did Abby get away in Episode 24 of season 6? Also how did they get their Camaro fixed(wires cut) in the big shoot out. Near the end of the show they are driving the Camaro ?????
    No way it could have been fixed.