Gilmore Girls Revival Jackson

Gilmore Girls Revival: Jackson's Back (But Still No Sookie)

It’s not Sookie but it’s pretty damn close.

Gilmore Girls vet Jackson Douglas — who played Jackson, husband to Melissa McCarthy’s Sookie, during the show’s original seven-year run — is returning for the Netflix revival.

Douglas made the announcement on Twitter on Friday (see below).

Gilmore creator Amy Sherman-Palladino previously told TVLine that Sookie’s absence would be explained during the four-episode continuation — perhaps it’s Jackson who delivers the exposition?

The actor joins a long list of Gilmore grads returning for the revival (click on the gallery below for the most up-to-date cast list).

Sherman-Palladino and exec producer Daniel Palladino (AKA Team Palladino) are writing and directing all four 90-minute episodes/mini-movies. As TVLine exclusively revealed, each chapter will represent a different season over the course of one calendar year (as such, the episodes will be titled “Winter,” Spring,” Summer” and “Fall”). The revival will be set in the present day, or roughly eight years after the series ended.

Production on the tentatively-titled Gilmore Girls: Seasons is currently underway in Los Angeles.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. lori says:

Honestly don’t care if Sookie comes back at this point because I don’t want it to turn into hyper-analyzing what her role is if she is back. Yes, she was important to the series but, ultimately, it should be about the Gilmores’ story, not Sookie.

• Bwhit says:

Agree. Would it have been nice? Yeah, but I’m just so happy this is happening. Every announcement of who is returning is just a bonus for me.

• Joe says:

Couldn’t agree more. I loved Sookie but the show must go on. It’s ultimately Lorelai, Rory and Emily’s story, but you wouldn’t know that with all the press about whether or not Melissa can find the time to make a cameo appearance.

• c-mo says:

Ah the voice of reason sounds so refreshing! I’m so glad I’m not the only one who feels this way, it was awfully lonely on the island all by myself.

• Tee says:

True. It would be nice to have the Lorelai-Sookie duo together, since they were so dynamic in the original run, but her returning or not is overshadowing the revival show. Let’s remember that it is GILMORE GIRLS, not Gilmore Girls Plus Sookie.

• Lindsey says:

I never looked at it that way, but I couldn’t agree more. I liked Sookie as much as anyone, but I don’t see her as an essential part. With all the hype about her, I fear her appearance would overshadow the rest. That said, it’d be nice to see her, but I’m not holding my breath and won’t be disappointed if it doesn’t happen.

• i_kissed_a_trekkie says:

I don’t think they asked Melissa at all. Melissa is telling the truth. ASP was very passive aggressive in talking about Melissa’s ‘crazy schedule’. I think it is ASP’s fault. She has a very big ego, as evident by the fact that she destroyed season 6 and left the show with horrible mess in season 7.

• JosiahBartlet4President says:

Whatever the truth is, something is very fishy….

• Kim R says:

I have to say I was left with that same feeling. Feel like there is definitely more to the story.

• i_kissed_a_trekkie says:

Yes there is more to the story. Why else would ASP say ‘I can write her a scene IF she wants to come blah blah’, instead of saying that they have extended her an official offer. Sookie was in almost every episode of each of the 7 seasons. That is not how you treat a important character. If it was a bit role like Madeline/Louis or even Kirk, I would understand. Seems like ASP and MM have fallen out or something.

• jj says:

I agree, at the end of the day i’m just excited that the revival is happening. After alexis and lauren everyone else is just a bonus

• I agree so much. Maybe I’m an ass for saying it, but Melissa would take all the spotlight away from the story and the G-Girls. Not that she would do it on purpose! It would just happen. Maybe we’ll get a small surprise cameo or a Skype call or something, that’d be nice.

2. Send a camera crew to wherever MccArthy is shooting whatever she’s working on, give her one or two pages of dialogue, dress her up or let her appear in her own clothes, and show that footage on TV in the background of a scene to establish that Sookie is now a world-renowned chef on tour in Europe or whatever. Problem solved.

• Will says:

Whether or not Melissa McCarthy actually appears, I’d imagine that would be the logical route they could take.

• i_kissed_a_trekkie says:

3. Hunter says:

What if they just say Sookie died :0

4. Babybop728 says:

I hope this doesn’t mean Sookie and Jackson split up. :/

5. Et al. says:

So every single person ever involved in this series – including the dog – got the invite, but ‘nobody asked’ McCarthy to participate? Yeah right. It’s become obvious she or her team turned it down.

• Yolanda says:

Of course she turned it down. She’s playing these lovable characters but hearing from people who worked with her on Mike and Molly she’s far from it. She’s a nasty piece of work. But that’s what happens to people when they hit big in movies. But she should know better… she doesn’t want to end up as another Katherine Heigl.

• Ashley says:

Is she really a nasty person in real life? That’s kind of surprising to me if she is and kind of sad too.

• JacksonR says:

“hearing from people who worked with her” Really? And this is how you base all of your information on how a person behaves and acts in life? How well do YOU know her? BFF’s? Know everything about what she says and does? “She’s a nasty piece of work.” Funny, that’s what I think about mindless trolls who spread malicious gossip about people they have NEVER met and NEVER will. How pathetic is a person who hides in anonymous fashion behind a computer screen, spreading malicious innuendos about others? Pretty.Damn.Sad. SMFH.

• I'm not naming names says:

Yep. My best friend was in Tammy with her (an extra but on set for several days) and said her persona of loveable is way off the mark.

6. Hannah says:

Who knows what really happened between them, but MM should really do it. The fans of that show loved Sookie and I was an early supporter of her because of that role. I’m sure I’m not the only one. They should both say bygones and in my opinion MM should do it for the fans. I know scheduling may be a factor but let Hollywood magic handle that. I’ll even take a split screen telephone call.

7. Margo Basso says:

Jackson Douglas is married to Alex Borstein (the original Sookie), right?? So why not just have Alex Borstein play Sookie in the reboot, fun ironic twist, huh?? Then again if there’s ANY chance for MM to come back, PLEASEEEE!!!!

• Danielle says:

I thought that too. It would be awesome and a call out to the true fans. I do love MM, but I think she might steal the focus now that she’s so famous.

8. Todd says:

Maybe Sookie accidentally killed Richard and herself in a kitchen fire?

9. Red says:

No TJ & Liz? I care more about them than Finn, Gypsy or Taylor.

• Simone says:

Right? Miss Patty, Babette and Maury, Andrew, Taylor, Gypsy. TJ(Gary) and Liz, with their daughter Doula. So many people that MADE Stars Hollow quirky and they would be more important.. to keep the feel of the town going in this miniseries :D

10. I think if someone actually asks Melissa, she will come. She posted on twitter that no one asked her. Now that Mike and Molly is over, I really don’t see why she wouldn’t join the revival. I personally loved the character, the friendship with Lorelei and the interactions with Jackson. I will still watch it if she’s not in but I will be disappointed if she’s not.

11. Leila says:

Since Jackson is going to be on the Gilmore Girls: Seasons, then are Jackson and Sookie’s kids going to be on the revival?

12. mac says:

“Where is Sookie”

too expensive for the show to get, too unwilling to return for less

13. Simone says:

Awesome! Jackson was always absolutely delightful as, umm, Jackson. HA!
    I wonder if he still sleeps with the zucchini? :D