Scorpion Bosses Tease Toby and Happy's 'Tempestuous' Romance — Plus: How Will the Team React?

Here’s a brain teaser that might stump even the brightest members of Team Scorpion: How long can two emotionally stunted geniuses keep up a romantic relationship?

The CBS drama begins to answer that question on Monday’s episode (9/8c), in which Toby and Happy — who were revealed in the Feb. 8 outing to be officially dating — will have their newfound romance unceremoniously uncovered by their colleagues.

“Let’s say that the reactions will vary throughout the team, but not everyone is going to be thrilled with it,” executive producer Nick Santora hints to TVLine.

Adds EP Nick Wootton: “The people that you think would have been thrilled with it are unexpectedly not thrilled with it.”

Scorpion Toby HappyBut the discovery of Toby and Happy’s big secret will be just one of several obstacles the couple encounters during the rest of Season 2. According to Wootton, the Scorpion writing staff isn’t afraid to throw Toby and Happy into the deep end immediately — even if it did take them months to even share a kiss.

“This is a relationship that can be as tempestuous as we want it to be. Toby is such a livewire, and Happy is not used to making commitments,” he teases. “It’s really anything goes for this relationship, and that makes it very fun to plot out.”

Adds Santora: “When they do have the bumps in the road that any relationship has, it’s going to be different. When two geniuses are having relationship problems, they’re going to deal with things that normal relationships don’t experience, and they’re going to be solved in ways that normal relationship problems aren’t solved.”

And whether or not they intend to do so, Toby and Happy will serve as a trial run for all future workplace romances — something that Walter and Paige will be studying very carefully.

“Toby and Happy being together basically becomes a test case for Walter and Paige,” Santora shares. “It’s a way for them to see how a relationship in the garage may or may not work, from a safe distance. It allows them to consider if something would possibly work for them, but neither of them would ever admit what they’re doing — observing Toby and Happy.”

Scorpion fans, how do you feel about Toby and Happy (finally!) getting together? Hit the comments with your hopes for their relationship.

1. Leah says:

So happy for this, I LOVE Toby and Happy and can’t wait to see them as a couple FINALLY.

2. Mr. Tran K says:

Don’t know which Scorpion couple I’m rooting for – Toby & Happy or Walter & Paige

3. Ben says:

Toby and Happy is my favourite part of this show.

4. Michele says:

I just hope now that Happy and Toby are together, they stay together. I dislike it when a show puts characters together then breaks them up.

5. Tom Evans says:

Love it!

6. Maria says:

This is going to be a blast to watch! This show is so much fun anyway and this will make it even better. :)

7. Carina says:

They so cute together i love Scorpion ,Toby and Happy..

8. fiberlicious says:

I just hope they don’t ruin it. Pretty much every time a show’s star-crossed get together, the show dies a long, slow, boring death.

9. Leah B. says:

Oh my gosh, I was in such a happy (no pun intended) state of shock last week with the closing scene of “Fractured,” I about couldn’t handle it. I’m soooo excited that they’re finally together. It’s going to be a lot of fun watching Happy and Toby go through the motions of trying to really open up with one another, be vulnerable and real in this relationship. Finding a good balance will be the most challenging – and the most fun – part to watch. Just can’t believe #Quintis finally happened!!! Yay!!! :-)

10. Chatty Cathy says:

This show just gets better and better….. Loving that the writers even used the word Quintis…guess they do listen to the fans,

11. Chatty Cathy says:

Love the show…gets better and better….glad the writers listen to the fans….QUINTIS,,,,

12. JC says:

I’m already annoyed that Walter is going to be against this relationship. Dude is just in denial about his feelings for Paige! Happy for Quintis fans and hope we get some Waige soon

13. Scrappy Scorpion Fan😁 says:

Like most others I would like to see them stay together., with a lot of ups and downs. Toby could learn a lot from this realatiobship that’s not read in a text book, and Happy can learn … Something I’m sure( she’s so Awsome as she is… ) the commitment has to be there to fight for it ( to make the relationship work)… From both of them?

14. Angela says:

I so love the concept, I hope the writers stick with this storyline. I also love this show so very much! I enjoy the romantic scenes a lot, and I hope Waige keeps those kissing scenes coming.