Paul Lee Steps Down as ABC President; Channing Dungey Tapped as Successor

A major shake-up is underway at ABC.

Paul Lee, who has served as the network’s entertainment president for the past six years, has stepped down, ABC confirmed on Wednesday.

According to the New York Times, which first broke the news, Lee “resigned on Wednesday after losing a power struggle with a higher-ranking executive,” reportedly Disney-ABC Television Group President Ben Sherwood.

Channing DungeyThe article posits that Sherwood used ABC’s relatively weak ratings performance to make a case for Lee’s ouster.

Succeeding Lee as president will be longtime ABC development executive Channing Dungey, who makes history as the first African-American to ever helm a major broadcast network. (Fun fact: She’s also the sister of Alias actress Merrin Dungey).

“Channing is a gifted leader and a proven magnet for top creative talent, with an impressive record of developing compelling, breakthrough programming that resonates with viewers,” Sherwood said in a statement. “We thank Paul for his many accomplishments at ABC and his devotion to the ABC brand, and we wish him continued success in the future.”

Added Dungey: “I’m thrilled and humbled that Ben has entrusted me with this tremendous opportunity. And I am truly grateful to Paul for being a valued mentor and friend. I’ve had the great honor of working alongside the talented team at ABC for many years and look forward to starting this exciting new chapter with them.”

Lee’s exit comes as several of ABC’s once-dominant franchises continue to slip in the ratings. Though Grey’s Anatomy is thriving in its 12th season, Shondaland’s Scandal and How to Get Away With Murder both returned to series lows after the midseason hiatus.

Other long-running scripted dramas, such as Castle and Once Upon a Time, similarly have hovered around series lows during the 2015-16 TV season. Midseason filler Agent Carter, meanwhile, fails to merit numbers commensurate with its acclaim, trending down each week since Season 2 opened.

On the plus side, under Lee ABC has won praise for his emphasis on diversity (with shows like Quantico, black-ish and Fresh Off the Boat) and for supporting modest-performing critical darlings (see: Agent Carter, Galavant and American Crime).

“Leading ABC has been a fantastic experience,” Lee said. “I’m especially proud of the incredible team I built and the strategic, creative vision we established and successfully executed for both the network and studio. Together, we’ve transformed ABC into one of the strongest brands in television.”

1. Steven says:

I’m surprised. He’s been a great president for ABC. TGIT has been a huge success and the Wednesday night comedies have been more stable than ever.

• jr. says:

Things new ABC president good do to attract new and happier viewers:
      1. Bring back the official ABC message boards for their shows on their ABC website.
      2. Revive American Idol on their network. Along with a Glee The Next Generation series!
      3. Bring back variety shows. How about a new Carol Burnett and Julie Andrews special!
      Or how about a Pentatonix accappella show.
      4. Bring back daytime game shows like Password, Concentration, You Don’t Say, Match Game, Hollywood Squares, etc., and less talk shows.

• Carla says:

If you’re being sarcastic, my response is LOL.

If you’re serious, my response is, “Why don’t we just add Matlock and The Golden Girls reruns while we’re at it.”

• lindsay says:

@carla So good.

My sentiments exactly.

• JosiahBartlet4President says:

The Golden Girls reruns would be AMAZING. I knocked that show until I actually watched it and realized it is far funnier than a lot of what passes as funny on today’s comedy shows.

• Mary S says:

MOST of the old sitcoms are funnier than anything on today! I used to laugh at some of them until my sides hurt. I gave up on today’s garbage when I realized it doesn’t even merit a grin from an intelligent human being. Children (or childish mentalities) might love them, but there is so much sexual innuendo on most of them that I wouldn’t let my dog watch, let alone a child. I guess I was spoiled by all the great shows of the’80’s, which I can now see on METV and a couple of other networks.
            The shows that bring me laughs are not billed as comedies, but which have some great one-liners or situations that I find funny. I adore Castle and Bones because of the relationships, the love stories and the actors…and because they also solve crimes at the same time. They are “funny” per se, but there is great humor in both of those shows and they bring great pleasure to me.

• Mary S says:

CORRECTION: Castle and Bones are NOT funny per se, but do have a great deal of humor in the writing and acting, which I enjoy greatly.

• Nance says:

Message boards! Yes!

• Bad Samaritan says:

Don’t forget Monday Night Football, because alot of us are sick of paying for cable channels we don’t use!

• shirley says:

Someonhe commented as long as she keeps Agents of Shield.
          I too want to comment. As long as she keeps Castle for another season. I can live with anything she might change.
          Just want to say.

• Z says:

Goodbye Galavant, Agent Carter, Nashville, Castle.

2. ScrubsGuy says:

That is bad news for the diversity push on ABC. Also Galavant.

• Sam says:

My first thought was, yea that’s it for Galavant.

• Yootha says:

“Bad news for the diversity push” as they give the job to an African-American woman *FACEPA:LM*

• ScrubsGuy says:

Comment was posted before replacement was announced. Also, diversity push on shows, not execs.

• James says:

Yeah, because they hired a black chick as his replacement I actually assume they will/expect them to cancel all the “diversity” ie Agent Carter, Blackish, Galavant, Fresh Off the Boat, and maybe even the Goldbergs. Those all will probably be the first things on the chopping block followed by any other mediocre rated show…or the shows themselves will get more network “input”….and probably after a year or so of corporate puppeteering the status quo to “improve ratings” hid behind a black female face(“see we are all about diversity, she is a female and black”) this lady will probably find herself on the chopping block when people complain about the network being white washed lol

• shirley says:

This could be bad newes for many of us fans of ABC programming.
      Guess we’ll just have to wait and see what happens.

• ? says:

Yeah it’s definitely curtains for Galavant now. Bummed.

3. Duke says:

Ohhh crap. *braces self for cancellations*

4. NM says:

Goodbye Nashville.

5. Livus48 says:

Wow now what ???

• Nero tTVFiddler says:

Cancellations are coming. Keep an eye out (TVLine has a great post/list) on bubble shows as we near Upfront in May.

I know many folks will mourn the loss of bubble shows like Nashville and Galavant and Carter/SHIELD, Muppets, etc. But ABC is a third or fourth place network in a four horse race – and it has been in that position during the Paul Lee era.

Can’t go on like that. People say, well if ABC had football, that would make all the difference. But if you look at the numbers from Jan-May each year, when there is no football, ABC still comes in third or forth week to week. The lineup isn’t working. I’m sorry to say that, but it’s not.

• Nero tTVFiddler says:

lol – so true. Can you imagine the office now that Paul Lee has departed? How many of those people in that office were ‘Paul’s guys’.

Change is coming to ABC. Every time I hear Bob Iger (head of Disney) give his quarterly reports on CNBC, the weak link in that otherwise ‘firing on all cylinders’ company is the television division – ABC. Yes, ESPN has a budget/spend concern, but that is repairable. But ABC is at the bottom of the pile at Disney.

Something had to be done… soon.

6. NM says:

Isn’t ABC the second top-rated network? How is a ratings push responsible for a pushout? Good luck to the next person in charge given the declining surge in networks everywhere.

• Sam says:

No. It’s no. 4 in the 18-49 demo only ahead of CW.

• Jess says:

Shonda may get you viewers…but she doesn’t get you the ones that matter.

• Mary S says:

“The ones that matter” are the ones with the money to buy the things and the time to take the trips that are advertised…I know they disregard our value, but by aiming shows at 12-year-olds, they are contributing to the dumbing down of America…and it is scary!

• Nero tTVFiddler says:

Indeed, and that is why Paul Lee has been replaced. Being #4 in a four horse race can only go on for so long. It’s time for ABC to make some changes.

For all of us (and I do enjoy some of the ABC shows as well) who watch ABC bubble shows, enjoy those shows this final three months, because this might be the end of the run for shows like Castle, Nashville, Galavant, Middle, Carter. No show lasts forever.

• ntstar4 says:

wish the would cancel all those silly sitcoms

• Mary S says:

Cancelling them would not be sufficient UNLESS they were replaced by shows with some heart and real humor instead of a series of one-liners….I have not found one sitcom on ABC that could actually make me laugh. Most of them turned me off so badly I couldn’t take more than a few minutes of any of them.

7. lizardladynj says:

Yay! Paul Lee is finally gone! Worst President EVER!

8. Kay says:

Wow, that’s too bad. I love how vague they always are in their releases – what compelling thought provoking content did she create?

• Nero tTVFiddler says:

A little bit of background on Channing Dungey – she is a respected executive who oversaw the development (from a mgmt vantage point) of such ABC shows as Scandal, How To Get Away With Murder, Quantico and Once Upon A Time.

My hope is that she has the background and talent that a former ABC exec (Steve McPherson) had about ten years ago when he was moved in from the production side of the ABC shop. McPherson green-lighted pilots like Grey’s Anatomy, Desperate Housewives and Lost all within a year; he had been in/around the production staffs of those pilots at the ground floor. He knew what was coming, and what might work…and what might not.

Hopefully Ms. Dungey will have that same skill set – seeing what the ABC pilot list looks like, and green-lighting more shows from Shondaland (they do work), Quantico, and hopefully a comedy or two at this year’s Upfront.

• Bad Samaritan says:

As long as she doesn’t cancel Agents of Shield I’m happy. But, I just don’t get any of these Shondaland shows people keep raving about. Seriously, somebody respond and explain it to me! I’ll keep this page in my inbox for a couple of weeks, so help me out a little.

• Nero tTVf says:

Sex sells.. not that there’s anything wrong with that/ kaboom -rim shot. Viewers, particularly in what I think is **THE most important** Demo TV rating (women between the ages of 25-54/70… the ones who really do the buying and decision making) like a little sizzle with their evening viewing. Who doesn’t? So Shondaland brings in the sizzle.

Nothing lasts forever, and often times, that sizzle eventually turns into a slow burn, and then turns into suds and drama (soap opera style)… Grey’s is probably at that final phase now. But Scandal and Murder are both running at near top speed in the sizzle and ‘adults behaving badly’ department. A little nighttime fun, guilty pleasure viewing.

Shondaland has more coming – ‘The Catch’ will arrive at ABC soon, and ABC has at least (at my last count) two more pilots in the pilot-pipeline for Upfront consideration. So for now, while the iron is hot, Shondaland will (and must) continue to strike for ABC.

9. Sarah says:

I’m gonna lose 2-4 shows I love now, aren’t I ? :(

• shirley says:

I feel your pain. I think I’m going to lose one or two also.
      Going to cross my hand and say a prayer that the new person doesn’t go all out and get rid of our programs.

10. Sam says:

It seemed as if he was ‘well-protected’ at the network but let’s not deny the fact that ABC has been falling in the ratings the last couple of years. TGIT is working and the Wednesday comedies are fine but otherwise the network is mostly in 4th place.

And despite the problems it had last season, NBC’s woes were still all that everyone was talking about.

• Nero tTVFiddler says:

Good insights. Everyone is frustrated about losing their favorite series, and I certainly understand that feeling, but ABC has not been well for a long time. Since around 2010/11. Modern Family and Middle on Wednesday are 7 year old series. How much longer for them? Monday nights? Castle and DWTS are in that same 7 year range. How much longer? Sunday nights? OUAT is not what it once was. Friday? Tim Allen’s show is nearing the end. How many of these shows will still be around after another season or two?

So, ABC has Shondaland on Thursday nights, Quantico on Sunday, Goldbergs and Blackish on Wednesday and ‘Boat’ on Friday. Those are the newer pieces Ms. Dungey will build around over the next couple of years. ABC *must* start reloading and rebuilding *now*, while Shondaland is still strong. If that (Shondaland) starts to tip over, ABC then is in really big trouble.

• Mary S says:

“ABC has Shondaland on Thursday nights, Quantico on Sunday, Goldbergs and Blackish on Wednesday and ‘Boat’ on Friday. Those are the newer pieces Ms. Dungey will build around over the next couple of years. ”
        Hmmmmm…..the Absent Brain Cells have me on Thursdays, but I have NEVER watched any of the other shows you mentioned. If those are to be the “building blocks” of a new era, then I am going to be even more grateful for the Food Network.
        I have set my DVR to record 7 out of the about 50 shows on this brainless network. That’s it. When those are gone, so am I. I will not trust them to keep new shows that I might like. They cancelled FOREVER and lost me at the same time. As my favorites get tossed, so do I.

• Nero tTVFiddler says:

True, the pieces that Ms. Dungey is inheriting are not great – that is true. But sometimes you ‘have to deal with the hand you are dealt.’ Her task is to quickly assess what is working, what isn’t, what is near the end, what can be rebuilt on the fly. I share your frustration with the cancellation of FOREVER – a really nice show, great cast, cool story. Paul Lee and co. made mistakes, and now, we see the consequences.

Perhaps somewhere in that list of ABC pilots, there is another Forever, or another Lost, or another Modern Family – that is what Ms. Dungey and her team need to quickly determine. There (I think?) is still time to pull in additional pilots as well before they start filming next month/March and April leading to Upfront.

• Cheyenne says:

Shondaland has already tipped over and is sinking slowly but surely. Grey’s is hanging in there but Scandal is tanking and dragging HTGAWM down with it. Shonda alienated millions of viewers with that horrendous midseason finale. She actually told her viewers “If you don’t like [Scandal] then don’t watch it. Given the decline in the ratings, it looks like a lot a people took her at her word and did just that.

• Nero tTVFiddler says:

You are right – the Shondaland engine is not firing on all cylinders as it did a year or two ago. Success is both a blessing and a curse. Every talented person has their own arc of success. Hence, there are three things that Ms. Dungey and her team will need to do (asap) regarding Shondaland:

1. ‘The Catch’. This new series from Shondaland will debut soon on ABC. How well will it be received? Will it be strong enough to land a slot on Thursday nights? If so, then can one of the current series on Thursdays be moved to another night?
          2. New Shondaland pilot of merit coming this spring (I believe ABC will green light at least one new series from Shondaland for fall’16); also determine what impact the new series might have on the fall/winter/spring 2016-17 schedule.
          3. Find ‘the next Shonda Rhimes.’ Every television producer has their day in the sun, and then it is incumbent upon the networks to find ‘the next’ hot producer. ABC needs to find the next Shonda R. coming along – I would be willing to bet she is somewhere in that list of pilots piled atop Paul Lee’s desk. Ms. Dungey needs to get to that list asap, and she may have already found/met that producer from her work on the production side of the ABC shop.

• Nero tTVFiddler says:

…and just another thought regarding what we might see Channing Dungey and her team do regarding the scheduling of Shondaland shows at Upfront in May. At least for now (2016/17), Shondaland is the engine that drives ABC. No Shondaland, and (literally) no ABC.

So, let’s say ‘The Catch’ does well (I think it will), and let’s say ABC does green light another new drama from Shondaland in May at Upfront. As you noted, perhaps Scandal leading into Murder is not necessarily advantageous right now.

So, perhaps this is the new Thursday night lineup this fall-
          8pm – Grey’s Anatomy
          9pm – How to Get Away w/Murder
          10pm- New Shondaland drama

That allows ABC to go after another night – say Tuesday nights –
          8pm – new drama (I’d move comedies to either Wednesday slots or Friday slots)
          9pm – Scandal
          10pm – The Catch

This allows ABC to go strong and compete on another night (Tues). That’s how networks rebuild and go from fourth to first or second in the ratings – win night by night, one night at a time, Sunday-Thursday.

11. Elizabeth says:

Dearest Netflix, Please save Galavant since it is certainly now a goner on ABC.

12. Phillip says:

So, goodbye Galavant, Nashville, Castle, Agent Carter and possibly American Crime and Agents of Shield.

• NM says:

Won’t surprise me to see HTGAWM given it dropped below a 2.0 this week. Let’s see how cut throat this new chick is. Could be a whole network revamp.

• Tw123 says:

Their going to keep HTGAWM for a third season for sure. It’s an awards darling. Viola Davis’ involvement keeps the show buzzy. They want to keep Shonda Rhimes happy. And, as a block of television, TGIT is their strongest night of the week. HTGAWM is definitely staying.

• Phillip says:

I don’t think they’ll cancel HTGAWM. But I agree, it could be a network revamp.

• John NYC says:

Agents of Shield has major Marvel backing so I expect that’s safe but I agree with the others.

• Agents of SHIELD will likely make it to Season 4 for syndication purposes. Virtually all shows in with a full 3 Seasons do. Even The Mindy Project, which was cancelled by FOX last Season, got a Season 4 for Hulu. Mindy Project wasn’t produced directly by FOX though, while Agents of SHIELD is an ABC Studios show, so it would be in ABC’s best interest to renew it.

• Jennifer says:

And it’s a Disney property. It’ll stay. For now.

• Nero tTVFiddler says:

Agree regarding SHIELD…. it stays…. for now. However, moving it somewhere else for fall’16/final season is probably in order. ABC needs to strengthen its Tuesday night lineup asap.

• Gospino says:

All of those shows except Shield were probably dead if Lee had remained. And they haven’t been cancelled yet, so we’ll see what the new regime does. But dumping some ratings stinkers would be a normal move.

• shirley says:

I am sooo afraid of which of these is going to go.
      LIke I said. I’m going to pray for saving theses shows

• Nero tTVFiddler says:

Yes, I’m afraid so. I’m sorry, but ABC begin to reload their network with shows that might be on the way up, rather than on the way down, on the backside of the arc.

13. Courtney says:

Interesting that they’re saying ABC is doing poorly when I think it has great buzz and TGIT is huge for ratings. I hope HTGAWM and Nashville are safe. I’m not worried about Grey’s Anatomy.

• ntstar4 says:

Just need Nashville. If they would promote it and give it a better time slot I believe it would do better. The talent of the cast is wonderful and the show is my favorite.

• Nero tTVFiddler says:

Sunday night… that is Nashville’s destination. That or cancellation. But that 9pm slot on Sunday night looks to be about the best option for Nashville. See my note upthread on Tuesday night revamp lineup. No room other than Sunday for Nashville…and possibly SHIELD. I’m assuming ABC will keep Quantico at 10pm Sunday. If so, perhaps SHIELD is a better lead-in.

So ABC might have OUAT-SHIELD-Quantico for Sunday night at Upfront in May. If so, there simply may not be a spot for Nashville on the fall’16 schedule.

14. lame says:

Lee was the driving force behind the renewal for Castle’s 9th season. This might be the death knell.

• shirley says:

I’m just hoping for a 9th season of Castle.
      Now with Lee out my hope will, well let me just say, I hope.

• Joey says:

I hope Mr. Dungey can see that one of the biggest problems with Castle this season was the show runners. He needs to work on that problem and fix it, first step should be stop the separation of Rick and Kate asap.The two main actors Rick and Kate have won a lot of PCA’S over the years and need a shot at a 9th season. Bring Kate home so the fans that supported this great show can come back home.

• Mary S says:

It would help if you read the article and look at the accompanying pic…Channing is a woman…and will hopefully provide at least a couple of shows that women like. Castle is one and so was FOREVER. Bringing shows back that were cancelled too soon is not an unheard-of event, so I can dream a little, can’t I?

• Nero tTVFiddler says:

Yes, you are allowed to dream here at TVLine! I do as well. ;) But here’s something to consider, and perhaps Ms. Dungey will do the same: What is the ‘brand’ of ABC? Is it a network for women-centric shows, or family-centric shows? Men-centric shows?

Is that strategy working? Does that ‘women-family’ strategy work for ABC? I’m not sure, but the network is in fourth place, so something isn’t right.

Watch Quantico and pilots like Quantico as we near Upfront. This is one of the few ‘male-centric’ shows on ABC at this time (I watch the show, and it is what brought me back to ABC after they canceled ‘Forever’… which was a mistake, yes). Ms. Dungey has her fingerprints on Quantico – she oversaw mgmt. of that program this past year.

With Ms. Dungey at the helm, more shows from Shondaland, more shows like Quantico, and probably less shows like Galavant, Muppets, Wicked City, Superfun NIght, Man Up!.

Just my guess, but I think that is where we are headed. Paul Lee has left the building.

• Mary S says:

“I think there are plenty of shows for women on ABC – OUAT, DWTS, Castle, Nashville, Shondaland, the Wed. comedy lineup, Off the Boat, 20/20.”
            Of the shows you listed, DWTS, Castle, and Shondaland (TGIT) are the only ones I watch. I occasionally see 20/20, but not often. I also watch Agent Carter and Agents of SHIELD and special events like the Oscars. But that’s it: my total involvement with the Absent Brain Cells network. Some idiot cancelled FOREVER and that was it for me.
            I will not even bother trying to get involved with new shows, because they may be cancelled out from under me. I do not trust the intelligence of the execs here, at all.
            Maybe this change of management will get me back, but the only thing that will truly get my attention is if they bring Dr. Henry Morgan and his son back to life. Otherwise, as other shows I love get cancelled, so will my continued viewing time of this network.

15. danoregon says:

You could say outside of Thursdays – the 10 p.m. slot has been disaster. Or you could say outside of 10 p.m. – ABCs in pretty good shape. It’s a tough network to program – you kind of have to skew female because the suits don’t want you to compete with ESPN for male eyeballs. Figure the current development season is a wash.

• jazzyt2u says:

I thought Quantico had good ratings. No??? I hope that’s safe!!!

• Nero tTVFiddler says:

Quantico is safe, and I agree with what you both (danoregan and jazzy) just said – ABC is ‘female-skew’ programming. Nothing wrong with that, but once Lost ended, the men (such as myself) left the building. Quantico is what brought me back to ABC (that and Forever – and the cast of Forever).

Expect more Quantico-like programs coming in the Dungey era at ABC. Ratings are pretty good, and *growing*. That is rare at ABC. Dungey oversaw ABC development of Quantico, as well as some of the Shondaland series.

16. Carmen says:

Paul Lee struck me as a good head for the network. As others have mentioned, under him TGIT and the Wednesday block of comedies both bloomed. As well as Fresh Off the Boat. He also was an industry leader in the recent television diversity push, both on and off camera. I very sad to hear of his leaving. And very worried what that means for future relationship between diversity and ABC..

• John NYC says:

Given who ABC replaced him with, Channing Dungey, I expect “diversity’s” relationship to ABC should be just fine.

17. ndixit says:

So much for Castle season 9 and its spinoff rumors. I hope they give the execs enough heads up to end the show. An eight season long show deserves that much at least.

18. Kat says:

Let’s hope she can fix Scandal, which has been a complete mess and needs to go back to its core story line of Olivia Pope the fixer and Tony Goldwyn as the President.

19. James D says:

I’m shocked quite frankly. I was under the impression Paul Lee was very popular. It was also my impression he basically saved ABC with hits like Modern Family. I guess we shall see how this plays out.

20. Chris says:

The new ABC president Channing Dungey is black, so I don’t think that anyone will have to worry about lack of diversity on ABC!

21. Brian says:

Please let this mean Scandal gets fixed.

22. Alicia says:

What does it mean for Agent Carter? Is there even a slim chance for renewal? I know the ratings are bad but it has a vocal following and the critics seem to like it a lot. ABC messed up with the marketing here…

23. kmw says:

This comes as a little bit of a surprise but when you think about ABC this year, yes they have TGIT and their comedies on Wednesday are doing fine but really what other day are they doing well. OUAT and Castle have declined, even their reality shows aren’t as big as they used to be, and Tuesday is a mess. A change might be good for ABC.

• Sam says:

Exactly. ABC hasn’t done that well outside of those 2 nights. Same as last season. But ofcourse we all focused on NBC’s ratings woes and those 2 nights distracted everyone from the apparent problems.

But Paul has done a rather good job.

24. Eli says:

Please keep
    Castle, Murder, Muppets, Galavant, Once, Nashville, Shield and Carter. I am not asking to cancel the other ABC shows since others love them, but I want these to continue.

25. Summer says:

Wow…dreading cancellations. I hope Nashville is safe. Please somebody save Nashville!

• Nero tTVFiddler says:

Gotta hope ABC/Dungey find room for Nashville on Sunday nights. Maybe for short-order final season of 9-12 episodes. I don’t think there will be room on the other nights if it does move off Wednesday 10pm (which I believe it will).

Tuesday nights are a mess currently for ABC – that whole Tuesday lineup will be blown up. And ABC will want that post- DWTS slot that Castle will vacate for a new drama, I assume.

What’s left? Sunday at 9pm perhaps? Maybe Nashville and SHIELD can share that slot for final short order seasons for both?

26. Nicole says:

Poor Galavant. It’s going to be cancelled I know it…

27. Winter says:

So there goes Galavant and Nashville probably. Well crap.

28. bob says:

rip castle lets hope it gets a true ending

29. BM says:

Now I’m worried for Castle and OUAT. Castle showrunners have already said they plan to tie it up like last season, so if Castle ends without notice, it should be okay. (Hopefully). Hope that Once gets a heads-up or the showrunners are prepared in case it doesn’t get renewed. Hate when shows end on a never-resolved cliffhanger.

• Amanda says:

OUAT should be fine. It’s still their top rated Sunday drama and Channing helped develop it. But probably does mean the end for Castle, Agent Carter, Galavant, Nashville, and The Muppets at least. I could see Netflix though taking on Agent Carter since they have at least 6 Marvel shows already.

• Winter says:

They do have Marvel shows but Carter does not mesh well with the Netflix brand of Marvel which is much grittier and darker than Carter.

• Nero tTVFiddler says:

This^^^ Amanda, you’ve got this 100% correct. Carter is a great candidate for an OTT streaming service pickup – Netflix, Amazon, etc.

OUAT is fine – as you noted, Channing helped develop it, and she and new staff may give OUAT some ‘notes’ to try to refocus the series a bit more towards some of the basic themes that made the show so successfully at the start.

Castle will get a great finale send-off in May, Galavant has already completed production, so their end may not be so clean. Muppets may come back from time to time as a holiday special, that sort of thing. Nashville? Sunday nights at 9pm for a short order in fall’16 is all I can see – otherwise, not so good for Nashville.

30. Murica! says:

So, Goodbye Castle and at least 3 other shows I watch and Hello other pointless remakes with an all black cast.

31. KLS says:

Castle’s chances look pretty slim right now for a S9.

32. Tonya Chiles says:

Bring Back The Soaps All My Children And One Life to Live!!!

33. Amy says:

This news makes me nervous considering I love Galavant and Agent Carter. Sigh.

34. ljd213 says:

This guy let “Forever” die and has allowed “Castle” to slide, maybe the new PTB will do a little better even by taking a step back and bringing shows back like “Forever”.

35. Annie says:

RENEW GALAVANT!!

36. Joybagg says:

1. Bring back “Forever”. Was so much better than lots of the present programming.
    2. Kill any Castle spinoff. Especially if Gerald McRaney is in the cast.
    3. If Castle isn’t renewed, resurrect “Firefly” or work with Andrew Marlowe on his new Derrick Storm series.
    4. Say “yes” to anything That the brilliant Shanda wants to do.
    5. No game shows at night!
    6. Hold Jon Stewart for ransom until he agrees to do a Dick Cavett-like interview show for those of us with a brain who actually can think.
    7. Keep Agent Carter. Amazing cast and lots of escapism entertainment.
    8. Actually promote your shows!
    And
    9. Hire me to carry these ideas out!

37. Susan Homig says:

After he cancelled forever and put crap sin city in its place he deserves to go

• Mary S says:

I couldn’t agree more! I’m down to watching only 7 of the nearly 50 shows they air.
      So far I have not enjoyed any of the replacement shows that were supposed to win me over when something I loved was cancelled…trashy reality shows, humorless sitcoms (potty humor and sexual innuendo are not funny to me) or poorly written or acted shows cannot hold my attention: I’ve been watching tv for over 60 years and I know the difference. I’d rather watch reruns of MASH, Golden Girls, Columbo, House, CSI: Miami, CSI, and CSI: New York than most of the junk they call quality programming these days.
      Until they bring back FOREVER, I will continue to think of them as the ABSENT BRAIN CELLS network.
      If they cancel any of my seven shows, I will be tempted to send them a plastic brain, since that would be more useful to them than the ones they are currently using. I am hoping that Channing has more programming sense than the idiot she is replacing.
      Thank heaven for the Food Network!!

38. barbara says:

Bring back Patrick Dempsey

• Butter says:

OMG I was waiting for someone to say that!

• Nero tTVFiddler says:

Just to let all the Patrick Dempsey fans know – he has a feature film coming out later this year – I believe a follow-up to Bridget Jones Diaries? Enjoy! He may be busy with his racing and feature films for now – maybe sometime down the line, he returns to series TV. :)

39. FormerCastleFan says:

I was not impressed with Paul Lee, given some of the things that have happened at Castle, not limited to, but especially 6×23 and season 8. Given the current direction I don’t care whether or not Castle gets a season 9. However, with the change at ABC I now have hope that if Castle is renewed, it may actually be worth watching….good riddance to Paul Lee.

40. Rob says:

Yes, TGIT is doing well but it could be better, the fall hiatus is just too long.

41. Ahahah says:

So no P.I Castle/Alexis spinoff ? 😃😃😃

42. Lizw2020 says:

They are going to cancel shows that appeal to an older demo. The problem with that is this is the only demo loyal to network tv.

43. Robin says:

the reason why the network ABC, has ratings problems, is because they give up too soon on cells that are actually good. where you are someone who likes to watch good Sos, you become stretchy about committing to a show, if you believe that the show will not last because you can’t trust ABC not to cancel it. I have gotten wrapped up in about 4 shows. And sometime they just ruin shows like castle we waited so long sir Castle and Kate to come together and when they did, the writers just ruined it it’s just painful to watch.

44. lululime says:

I hope Fresh off the Boat isn’t cancelled. ABC has done a great job establishing the best network comedy brand.

45. Plecodave says:

Unless Hawley and Winter are deaf, the fat lady is getting ready to sing!

• LindaG says:

I fear you are right Plecodave…..the numbers are not there.
      With that said I hope they either tie it up like last year or give it a shortened s9 to tie things up.Why did they wait soooo long for this to happen,maybe they could have worked to turn things around earlier.

46. Shaun says:

They should give Castle a reduced episode season to wrap it up,13 would be fine.I love Nashville but even I see the writing is repetitive and should be cancelled.Galavant should end since the finale was decent as a bookend,and Carter should be okay to stay.Should really shut down OUAT though and Quantico.Maybe can that Mockingbird show too.

• ntstar4 says:

Nashville has never been repetitive. What show are you watching never missed an episode and have the DVD’s so have watch repetitively and never seen anything repeat.

47. I certainly don’t think the long winter hiatus times have helped any of ABC’s prime time shows. You would hope if they take that long a break that they might run a little longer into the spring? Just speaking for myself during the long hiatus I found other shows to watch on other networks. I’m greedy though and very happy I have a DVR so I can watch some and tape others, but people without that capability just might not go back to the ABC shows. I love most all of those shows that take the long breaks and hope they can continue but the people who make these decisions are burying them!

• herman1959 says:

BTW, speaking of the FallWinter hiatus, isn’t ABC (and Lee) the network that invented them? As they say, karma is a b_ _ _ _.

• Nero tTVFiddler says:

ABC may want/need to rethink the ‘winter-break’ concept. I DVR, tape, you name it, all kinds of content off the networks throughout the Sept-May season, so I can adapt, but my parents really get stuck when shows go on hiatus – my mother lives for DWTS!! lol

The other issue is that in order to attract top notch talent, sometimes they would prefer to avoid the 22 episode weekly series grind. I think HTGAWM may be chartering this territory (Viola Davis has film commitments in parallel to her TV series work), so some shows have to be creative in how they film a ‘full season’ of episodes.

Honestly, I think the solution is to just hold back some of the series until January and run them straight through to May (HTGAWM may be a case in point). That said, I know it helps series (and networks) to have them debut in late Sept at the ‘official’ start of ‘the season’ and all the promo that goes with it.

48. Mary S says:

If he is the idiot with Absent Brain Cells who cancelled FOREVER, then this ouster comes a few years too late! Maybe Channing Dungey will be clever enough to figure out a way to bring that marvelous show back to us!!