Abigail Spencer in Time

Rectify's Abigail Spencer to Star in NBC's Time Travel Drama Pilot From Eric Kripke and Shawn Ryan

Abigail Spencer is making Time for one of pilot season’s hottest properties.

The Rectify actress has landed the female lead in NBC’s time travel-themed sci-fi drama from The Shield‘s Shawn Ryan and Supernatural‘s Eric Kripke, TVLine has learned exclusively.

Time follows an unlikely trio who travel through (wait for it… ) time to battle a brilliant criminal intent on altering the fabric of human history with potentially catastrophic results.

Spencer, who is heading into the fourth and final season of Rectify, will play Lucy Preston, a brilliant, sharp and warm history professor who gets whisked away by the government for the aforementioned top-secret mission.

Ryan and Kripke will pen the script and serve as exec producers alongside The Blacklist‘s John David and John Fox, and Marney Hochman (Last Resort).

1. Annie says:

I love her. Didn’t realize Rectify was ending after #4 – this sounds right up my alley so I’ll definitely check it out if it gets picked up.

2. Mr. Tran K says:

With the casting of Abigail Spencer, really hope TIME gets picked up as a series for NBC.

3. Shaun says:

4. N says:

So legends of tomorrow without the powers??

5. Nance says:

She’s fantastic, Guess I’ll watch

6. Huge fan of Spencer, thanks to Rectify, so count me in if this goes to series.

7. Kevin W. says:

All the people involved make me def interested in seeing this show!

8. Joey Padron says:

Happy she’ll be on TV more this year. It was great to see her on Suits again. Can’t wait to see Rectify’s final season!

9. The plot of this show is quite similar to the tv series from Spain “El ministerio del tiempo” (Ministery of time).

10. Laura says:

I can see similarities with the plot of a Spanish Tv show called “El Ministerio del Tiempo” (The Ministry of time)… That’s suspicious

11. Eran says:

The older I get the less keen I am on these giant premises. “Alter the course of human history.” I agree it’s a fascinating conceit but personally, I would so much more enjoy a time travelling narrative when someone attempts to alter the course of their own family’s history (stop a murder/suicide/get them rich) and then explore the ripple effect. “Human history” over time on a TV series? I easily see that going all over the place in the long haul.

12. Anon says:

“El Ministerio del Tiempo” done it before. Kripke, you better come back to SPN…

13. JG says:

Gee. A show about time travel you mean like CW’s World of Tomorrow? Another fresh idea from NBC Universal.

14. Gayle says:

So they haven’t seen Legends of Tomorrow I’m guessing….

15. I loved Quantum Leap – I’ll tune in – she went to the same high school as some of my kids.