Exclusive
Gilmore Girls Revival Paul Anka

Gilmore Girls Raises the Woof, Retrieves 'Paul Anka' for Netflix Revival

The Gilmore Girls revival is going to the dogs.

TVLine has learned exclusively that Lorelai’s idiosyncratic canine companion, Paul Anka, will be returning for Netflix’s four-part continuation.

As Gilmore faithful know, Lorelai adopted Paul Anka in Season 6 to help fill the Rory-sized void in her life (mother and daughter were going through a bit of a rough patch, you’ll recall). He remained by Lorelai’s side through the show’s seventh and final season.

Paula Anka, who will once again be played by dog-actor Sparky, joins a long list of Gilmore vets returning for the revival (click on the gallery below for the most up-to-date cast list).

Series creator Amy Sherman-Palladino and exec producer Daniel Palladino (AKA Team Palladino) are writing and directing all four 90-minute episodes/mini-movies. As TVLine exclusively revealed, each chapter will represent a different season over the course of one calendar year (as such, the episodes will be titled “Winter,” Spring,” Summer” and “Fall”). The revival will be set in the present day, or roughly eight years after the series ended (making Paul Anka about 120 in dog years).

Production on the tentatively-titled Gilmore Girls: Seasons is currently underway in Los Angeles.

1. C says:

Awww, Paul Anka!

2. aa says:

Oh. Paul Anka was one of the things that, starting in season 6, signaled the decline of the show for me. Just too much weirdness for me, and it kind of took me out of the show.

3. T.w.123 says:

For some reason, and I have no idea why, I always think that Paul Anka died in the show. Obviously that’s not true. Still, whenever I engage in a re-watch of GG on Netflix, I find myself genuinely surprised that he makes it to the end. I’m glad to know that he will keep on surprising me in that way for the reboot as well :)

4. Chadwik3 says:

Well Michael you did it, you found out the information i was tweeting about. Paul Anka the dog will be back. Glad to see it is all coming together greatly.

5. Annie says:

I’mma skip right over the unfortunate canine life expectancy reality implicated by this news and move straight into YAY! PAUL ANKA’S COMING BACK TOO!

6. Amy says:

I love Paul Anka!!! Hopefully age has not diminished his weirdness.

7. c-mo says:

I love this! The dog can make time in his busy schedule but apparently others have become too big for their britches…

• Simon Jester says:

Hey, who are you calling bitches?!?

;-)

• Connie says:

Some were simply not asked. Like when Taylor made posters of Rory as ice cream queen

• Tracy says:

Amy says that’s not true, so it seems it’s a “she said/she said” situation. I do know this: Unlike most of the cast, MM has never really spoken of the show or any particular fondness for it, and she was about the only one who missed the reunion at the ATX Festival last year. It could be she’s just not interested, and they know it…or maybe they don’t like her and never did. (Kidding! Though possible…)

8. Brad Gilmore says:

Can we get 4 episodes a year?! Pleasssse!

9. I’m sure Lauren is thrilled (not). She famously did NOT like the dog.

• Simon Jester says:

I hate to shatter the Magical Illusion of the Business called Show for you, but Paul Anka will probably not be played by the same dog.

• DL says:

Seems pretty logical to me. Though it’s sad to say, what are the odds that the original dog is still alive? And if he is, how likely is it that he’s healthy enough to spend long days on-set?

• wgsecretary says:

According to this article, it is the same dog. We don’t know how old the dog was when he started on the show. Dogs are technically adults around 1-2 years old. He could have been only a year or two old and now roughly 10. Plenty of dogs are perfectly healthy at that age. Plus, he probably has better care than your average dog. He probably gets plenty of exercise and mental stimulation, the best medical care, and food. I’m glad it’s the same dog.

10. Sl says:

Do you know if Sam Phillips is back on music? Will the town troubadour be back??

11. Sabrina says:

Yea, Paul Anka! Where is Suki?????

12. Bonnie Doyle says:

Please bring Sookie back! I cannot wait for the return of this show, but it just won’t be the same without Melissa.

13. Marcie says:

Is Zac, Laine’s husband, coming back?

14. lkh says:

Please, please, please! don’t make one of the episodes about Paul Anka dying :[

15. Sophie says:

TY MIKE FOR THIS WONDERFUL NEWS :)

16. Luis says:

Long live Paul Anka!

17. Elissa says:

Is there anyone other than Sookie not returning?

18. Karen says:

Has AMY Palladino said anything since Melissa McCarthy ‘s statement that she was hurt by not being asked

• Tracy says:

Did she say she was hurt, or did she just say she wasn’t asked? Amy said she was asked. I’m starting to think there’s more than meets the eye here and we’ll never really know the back story, not that it’s any of our business.

• i_kissed_a_trekkie says:

No she said nothing. It seems MM is telling the truth, otherwise ASP would have corrected/clarified MM. Its annoying that they are bringing new characters and even a dog, but they can’t bring back Sookie and also Dave..aka Adam Brody. He was my favorite GG guy.

19. Summer says:

I just finished the final episode on Netflix , I’m so excited to see the cast again!

20. Simone says:

Yay! I would of missed Paul Anka terribly, if they hadn’t found a way to include him. He was such a unique and odd dog. LOL

21. tsevca says:

How old is that poor dog?