Hamilton Grammys 2016 Performance

Hamilton Cast Performs at Grammy Awards 2016 — Grade Their Big Number

The cast of Broadway’s Hamilton did not throw away its shot Monday, turning in a crowd-pleasing Grammys performance of the musical’s opening number, “Alexander Hamilton.” (The original cast recording is up for best Musical Theater Album.)

Creator and star Lin-Manuel Miranda and his cast — including Renee Elise Goldsberry (One Life to LiveThe Good Wife) and Leslie Odom Jr. (Smash) — sang the title song live via satellite from New York’s Richard Rodgers Theatre, where the buzzy show chronicling the founding father’s life is currently in residence. (The Late Show‘s Stephen Colbert introduced the number.)

What did you think about the Hamilton cast’s performance? Rewatch it below, then vote in the poll, then hit the comments with your review.

1. Judith says:

Amazing talent!👌🏽 Beautiful performance! 👏🏼💯

2. S. says:

To whomever graded that an F, I wanna tell you what I really think but TVLine doesn’t allow cursing so I’ll just give a Hamilton-appropriate insult: “You are worst, Burr.”

3. Lolo says:

It was amazing, I just wish they did a song that Renee Elise Goldsberry solos in :)

• S. says:

So Lolo, you’re saying you’ll never be Satisfied with the amount of Hamilton in this year’s Grammys? I think we’re gonna need a rewind… ;)

4. sev619 says:

I was typing the same thing ;-)

5. Heather Caito says:

Wow amazing!!!!

6. bob says:

Not a fan of the type of music, but the content was decent. Beat the crap out of that hideous Compton crap. Freakin’ totally racist.

7. Tarbosh says:

BS you deleted the comment about how you called Leslie Odom Jr. Lamar Odom.

8. ALo says:

Amazing!! 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

9. sntindall says:

Ugh I’m still crying over it. I love the entire cast and crew so much. Amazing.

10. I just want to get a ton of peanut butter and yell “AARON BURR!”

11. Zoe says:

Is there a grade higher than A?

12. Maggie says:

Fantastic! I was lucky enough to see the show two weeks ago, after obsessing over it for nearly a year. I’m so thrilled that here are new people who were introduced to it last night. Lin-Manuel Miranda wants all of the songs in all of the heads and ears and to bring everyone together that way. AND HE’S KILLING IT. Whoever voted for “F” is sending out a cry for help. My prayers are with you, poor soul.

13. Jennifer says:

I love Broadway. Let me say that. I’ve seen more shows than I care to count – both in NY and on various tours. Can someone please explain the appeal of this absolute drek? Hip Hop history? Really??? What is this crap?

• jazzyt2u says:

Obviously not something you like but others do?!?! So thank goodness it’s not up to you who and what people create. Don’t like it? Don’t spend your money on it. See how simple that is. smh

• Will says:

You should add the idiom “It’s not my cup of tea” to your repertoire. Just because you’re not a fan of the genre doesn’t make it crap or drek. Newsflash: other people are allowed to like things you hate.

• ninergrl6 says:

Have you listened to the cast album? Though I’m not usually a hip hop fan, I am a Broadway aficionado (I see about 10-15 shows a year) and a history buff, so of course I wanted to know what the Hamilton hype was about. The whole cast album is so compelling and fascinating that I’m completely oblivious to the style of music. I’ve been listening to it practically non-stop (pun intended) for months. Give it a try if you haven’t yet. The whole thing. It’s 2+ hours, (almost) the entire show. You can stream all of the tracks online for free. I hope you’ll get swept up in the story regardless of the style of music like I did.