Good Wife Final Season Ratings

Ratings: The Good Wife Holds Steady vs. The Walking Dead's Return

The Good Wife‘s first episode since the big “final season” announcement drew 7.9 million total viewers and a 1.0 demo rating on Sunday night, holding steady on both counts despite airing opposite The Walking Dead‘s midseason premiere (as well as the debut of HBO’s Vinyl).

Opening the Eye’s night, Madam Secretary (10 mil/1.2) ticked up a tenth, while CSI: Cyber (6.2 mil/0.9) at 10 pm dipped a tenth.

Elsewhere in the ratings….

ABC | That Bachelor special drew 4 mil and a 1.0 aka much less than half what its last, regular episode did. Leading out of that, a special Castle outing (4.1 mil/0.8) delivered series lows.

FOX | Versus their most recent, month-ago outings, Bob’s Burgers (2 mil/1.0) was steady while The Simpsons (2.9 mil/1.3), Cooper Barrett (1.8 mil/0.7), Family Guy (2.5 mil/1.2) and Bordertown (1.7 mil/0.7) all dropped sharply.

NBC | An SNL Valentine’s special did 3.9 mil/0.9, while a Tonight Show special (5 mil/1.4) led all broadcasters for the nightly demo win.

Cable ratings, as always and forever, come in much, much later and are reported under separate cover as merited.

Want scoop on any of the above shows? Email and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Mr. Tran K says:

Looks like Cooper Barrett and Bordertown are on the verge of cancellation soon. Does anyone ever watched two of Fox’s most boring sitcoms? I give both of them thumbs way down.

• Patrick says:

Cooper Barrett is good. Its not great, but I enjoy it. Bordertown is awful. I watch it, but just because at 9:30 there is nothing to switch too, you know? All the other shows are at their mid points.

2. Luli says:

I know Castle was a special outing, and maybe it was not expected for it to get good ratings, but those numbers are depressing.

3. Mika says:

Might be time for Castle to be retired. It’s been like a slow death this season.

4. David Finucane says:

Cooper Barrett is gonna be canceled like Enlisted, Dads, The Goodwin Games and Ben and Kate. I felt like they all deserved another season. It’s like every comedy I like gets cancelled on this network besides B99

• Mr. Tran K says:

Couldn’t agree more as does Bordertown. Forgot to mention Last Man on Earth because at first I started to dislike the series and since then I was totally wrong and it really became one of the funniest shows I’ve ever seen thanks to the outstanding and comedic performance of Will Forte.

• David Finucane says:

I completely forgot about that show. And your right Forte is amazing in the show, even when their isn’t much to work with, with the premise

5. Boiler says:

Nice for Madam Secretary. It has become one of my favorite shows.

6. Sally McLinn says:

Madam Secretary was sooooo good last night. Wow! it could happen here.

7. N says:

I loved Castle…Like old times!

8. kmw says:

Nice that The Good Wife stayed steady especially considering almost everything else fell. I knew Castle would be down but that’s bigger than I thought it would drop. What a bad night for network television

9. DarkDefender says:

No football and TWD returned? No surprise on the regular network ratings.
    As for Castle.. It is clear consideration for a move to Sunday is a no-go. Maybe now they will focus on better writing and advertising to stop the hemorrhage of viewers, if they are still shooting for a Season 9.
    The good news is, Castle is only on episode 10 of 22/23 and there is a ton of time to right the ship. The last two weeks have moved in the right direction.. As a fan, I’m still hopeful – although I may be alone in that feeling.

• Boiler says:

Yea hope Castle will turn things around. I think a lot is over reaction but do need viewers to come back

• kmw says:

Of course they can right the ship but to put Castle on a Sunday night because they would be behind one week? No a terrible scheduling decision and a pretty bad one tonight as well. If this decision was a try out for Sunday night, you are right its a no go. I do hope for better writing but more advertising? Good luck with that. ABC clearly is at a point where they love the money Castle brings in to them but they don’t so much love the actual show anymore that’s why they think they can move forward without one or both of their leads( IMO a big mistake if they do that) I doubt you are alone in the feeling that there is hope and maybe Castle can go back up a little at least to a 1.0 in demo. And you are right no football and Walking Dead are big reasons for bad night. I know The Good Wife and Madam Secretary aren’t comparable to Walking Dead at least with age of viewers but they stayed steady which was alright

10. Jim J. says:

So I’m guessing that, after the 2016-17 season, Sundays becomes a “death slot” for ABC just like it is on CBS? I’m guessing the “Castle” Sunday experiment failed miserably. I’m hoping ABC won’t start moving old veteran dramas to a Sunday timeslot just to die there ust like CBS does.

11. rafael_ says:

Good Wife episode was so good, just like old times. It’s a pity they haven’t done it until now…

12. aaronalbers says:

dont forget they were also going up against the nba all star game and the walking dead which a lot of people watch too.

13. EllenAce says:

Love TGW! Farewell to beloved cast and crew…God’s speed!

14. G says:

I TRULY Hope Jason is not end game for Alicia, but happy if she finally leaves Peter.
    Not Happy the way she is being treated at Florrick Agos. I guess best case scenario is she moves cities and opens up a little law office in a small town and is happy. Maybe opens a practice with George Tucker.
    Castle was a good episode. Glad they are still hooking up in private as a married couple. They really are good together.

15. joy lynn says:

I started watching the good wife when it first aired its a great show I hate that they are leaving now what am I going to watch that was my Sunday night show my family and coworkers talk about it on Monday I’m sorry the show is ending I’m going to miss it I hope they have rerun