melissa-mccarthy-host-saturday-night-live-recap-poll-video

Melissa McCarthy Hosts SNL: Watch Video of the Best and Worst Sketches

Melissa McCarthy’s fourth go-’round as Saturday Night Live host got off to a dubious start this week with a nearly laugh-free monologue set to the tune of Patrick Fernandez’s 1978 disco classic “Born to Be Alive.”

Thankfully, the Mike & Molly had several chances to deliver the LOLs over the subsequent 90 minutes, even if her absence from both digital shorts and all of “Weekend Update” left me scratching my head almost as hard as I did during Kanye West’s musical performances. (Am I completely past my pop-cultural expiration date, or was this a legit case of the emperor being butt booty-naked?)

While you ponder that question, let’s recap the week’s best and worst:

BEST: THE CUL-DE-SAC
McCarthy went disgustingly buckwild as a zany member of a focus group screening a horror film, throwing her soda around the theater, violently vomiting, pulling off Pete Davidson’s shirt and peeing her pants in a fit of abject terror — then agreeing to take a $250 payment to let the movie studio use footage of her meltdown in their ads. Hey, being on TV always trumps hanging onto your dignity, right?

BEST: LESLIE JONES DISCUSSES VALENTINE’S DAY
Jones’ list of qualities she’s seeking in a dream man got more and more absurd as her monologue went on, leading to a tirade against cut flowers (aka “a bag full of death”), some speculation on the impressive size of her genitals (had she’d been born a man), and an implied brutal criticism of “Weekend Update” anchor Colin Jost’s steak-cooking skills.

HONORABLE MENTION: THE DAY BEYONCE TURNED BLACK
Kudos to SNL for tackling the hysterical response to Beyoncé’s “Formation” video and Super Bowl performance being an ode to #BlackGirlMagic and the #BlackLivesMatter movement. Fortunately, at the exact moment I wondered if the digital short was taking bold enough risks, there was Kate McKinnon, preparing to smother her son with a pillow and an “uh-oh uh-oh uh-oh oh-no-no.”

HONORABLE MENTION: EXPLOSIVE BUS RIDE
McCarthy and Jones rewarded viewers who stuck around after “Weekend Update” with a bit about a clueless white woman musing about “black movies” and her desire for an all-white remake of Roots and the trying-hard-to-be-polite black woman realizing that snagging a coveted rush-hour seat wasn’t all it was cracked up to be.

WORST: RAP BATTLE
Kyle Mooney brought fewer laughs than a test of the Emergency Broadcast System with a bloated, incredibly irksome digital short about how the fictitious rap career he put on hold to join SNL could be revived by defeating musical guest Kanye West in a rap battle. Call Mooney aggressively unfunny if you must, but at least the dude is consistent!

WORST: OPENING MONOLOGUE
McCarthy’s aforementioned ditty – which morphed into a song about having hosted SNL 4 1/16 times (due to her participation in the 40th Anniversary special) — reached its comic crescendo when Kenan Thompson (dressed as a glittery No. 5 costume) presented McCarthy with a banana in a suit jacket. And with that damning bit of testimony, the prosecution rests.

Your turn. What did you think of this week’s SNL? Take our poll below, then sound off in the comments!

1. powerturtle90sdudemon says:

VANESSA BAYER AS JENNIFER ANISTON/RACHEL GREEN. Amazing!

2. Bob says:

If you think Mooney is unfunny, the problem is you and your bad taste. Not him.

3. Guy says:

Nothing was worse than Kanye West’s obnoxious performances. I was embarrassed watching him.

• colig says:

the reason he has so many people on stage with him is because he is so bad and untalented he has to have all the fanfare to deflect from his performance.Kind of like how a magician has a beautiful assistant to draw attention from the magicians hands. also,did you see that asshole at the end when he was trying to show his robert kardashian shirt and he kept trying to watch himself on the monitor to make sure he was in the shot. asshole.

• So agree with you here. Can’t figure out how he got where he is today except riding the Kardashians coat tails.

• Sara says:

I find Kanye completely ridiculous and obnoxious, but to say he got where he is by riding the Kardashians’ coat tails is absurd. Before he got with Kim he was a critically acclaimed and quite famous rapper. He has gone off the rails since his mom died and he got in bed with the Kardashians.

• The Beach says:

Kanye West is the reason I didn’t watch last night’s show. I decided to skip it and catch some of the skits online. Can’t stand the guy.

• Billy Bob Johnson says:

His talent and brainpower went South after his mother died.

4. Bubba says:

Whiskers R We was funny too…short, landed some good jokes, no breaking character.

5. Amber says:

Wait…are you making fun of the hashtags? Or beyonce? At a time were my people are literally getting shot for just being black, we need celebrities like her speaking and making people uncomfortable so maybe some changes will start to happen.

And black girls are magic. There’s just something awesome about us. Sorry bout it if you guys can’t take it.

• KH says:

They’re making fun of the people overreacting to the music video and Super Bowl performance, not the movements or Beyonce. Hysterical doesn’t always mean funny when used The use in this case is a reference to said overreaction by certain people.

• Lauren says:

Uhhh I think you took this the wrong way. Hysterical as in the Hysteria supposedly caused by Beyonce’s song. Did you watch the video?

6. A. D. says:

Kyle Mooney is atrocious! He has never been funny and do not see that changing. ugh!

7. Mr. Tran K says:

I give the Melissa McCarthy episode of SNL a B. The Kyle vs. Kanye rap battle was last night’s big disaster and in my opinion, Mooney is still the worst if not one of the worst SNL cast members in recent years. Really hope that McCarthy should do a whole lot better as she’s closing in on joining the Five Timers Club sometime in the near future.

• Patrick says:

I actually liked this one more than some of her others. Previously, it seemed to me like all her characters were OTT “fat, sad-sack, losers.” It was more nuanced this time. It wasn’t OTT, and it worked better.

8. stevieweevie says:

Leslie Jones made me laugh very hard. Great bit. Melissa, as usual gave her all in her sketches, which I appreciate. The Beyonce vid was spot on. As for Kanye, the first # was totally lip synched. C’mon, auto tune was done by Cher in 1999. The second # wasn’t even him, just standing on the side laughing. Kanye blows.

9. Shaun says:

Enjoyed the Hillary Clinton bit and the Beyonce freak outs.Wasn’t very good sketches otherwise.

10. AngelWasHere says:

I like the Beyonce skit and the bus one. :)

11. Carrie says:

What about the opening sketch?!?! That, and Vanessa Bayer’s Jennifer Aniston impression, were clearly the best parts of the entire show. The Beyonce sketch was pretty clever, but everything else was so disappointing.

• jericho says:

Yes, I enjoyed the Cold Open as well. McKinnon used to bug the living $#@$ out of me, but her Hilary is comical. While I enjoyed Bayer’s Aniston, I feel the opportunity was light on content. I guess the old saying “leave them wanting more” is apt here, because I wanted to see where she could go with it. The bit didnt go far enough. The Beyonce bit was spot on.

To continue to not have real quality political humor on SNL during the Primary Season just feels wrong. I know they dont want to put too much so we get dulled on it, but come on. Bring it.

12. jello says:

I really love Melissa McCarthy but I did not find any of the sketches particularly funny. Sorry.

13. DarkDefender says:

The cold open was the best sketch… And way many good ones v. Bad. Kyle Mooney is really bad. I don’t get why he is on the show. His digital shorts have all been misses.

14. Brandy says:

I LOVED the opening. Also, I know he gets nonstop hate on here, but I actually enjoy Mooney’s digital shorts. His rap battle and that old footage of him cracked me up.

Is it just me or is Leslie doing Weekend Update monologues every other episode at this point?

15. Mamalis says:

I’m gonna get killed. Luckily no one is here. I really like Kyle M. I dig all his shorts, the random weirdness of them, the humor therein. My kid really likes him too.

16. bill says:

I have not found Kyle’s digital shorts at all funny. Maybe part of the reason is they can’t compare to the ones done by Andy Samberg

17. cyclone says:

“WORST: RAP BATTLE” probably because Kyle Mooney is one of the worst cast members to grace the 8H stage (the other being Pete Davidson).