Post Mortems
The 100 Nia Dies

The 100 Boss Talks [Spoiler]'s Defeat: What Happens Next?

Thursday’s The 100 put a surprising spin on the old “two men enter, one man leaves” fighting mantra.

For starters, it wasn’t two men that went sword-to-sword this week, but rather Lexa, defending her place as Commander, and Roan, fighting in his imprisoned mother’s stead. And despite Lexa being declared the victor, both she and Roan exited the battle alive. Queen Nia, on the other hand, wasn’t so lucky. (“Blood must have blood,” and all that. You know.)

Meanwhile, tensions flared in Arkadia over the attack on Mount Weather, an opportunity which Pike seized to become the new Chancellor. Meanwhile, Lincoln powered through the pain of a recent injury and Monty told Jasper exactly what he thinks of all his moping.

But getting back to that fight for a minute…

“First of all, Nia’s death makes her son — the abandoned prince of the Ice Nation — suddenly the king,” executive producer Jason Rothenberg reminds TVLine. “He goes from banished bounty hunter to king in four episodes. In many ways, it begins to heal what had been a threatening of an inter-clan war between the Ice Nation and the Tree Crew. Nia’s death puts that on the back-burner; she was the one who had been pushing that.”

And if you’re at all bummed about Nia’s brief time on the show, you’re not alone. In fact, that was kind of intentional.

“In thinking about who should play that part, I wanted was to cast someone who had a known name; you weren’t thinking we were going to introduce and kill Brenda Strong in the same episode,” Rothenberg admits. “She and I never really spoke about the terms of the role, so she didn’t know how brief her time with us would be. I had to have that conversation with her when she got the script for Episode 4, which is always a hard one to have. She loved that character and the whole world, but she embraced it, and she was so great in the episode.”

Your thoughts on this week’s 100? Hopes for the future? Drop ’em in a comment below.

1. Lindsey says:

Ugh, Bellamy, why???? How is he ever going to come back from this??

I LOVE LEXA. Man, I hope she doesn’t die. The Polis stuff has been great these past two episodes, but I’m really feeling uneasy about the Arkadia/Pike storyline.

• ? says:

Lexa’s gonna die. The actress isn’t available beyond this season (Fear the Walking Dead is filming 15 episodes per season now, so that doesn’t leave enough time). I hope she gets to appear in most of this season first though. OR I hope she gets eaten by zombies!

• Amber says:

I’m tired of Jasper, the city of light, and Bellamy’s poor decisions.

• Tami says:

Agreed! Jasper needs to get over it, Bellamy needs to pull his head out and Pike and all who joined him need to answer for the deaths of innocent people. Blood must have blood. Make it Pikes!

2. Sawyer says:

I was pretty divided on the shippers, after tonights episode I am team Clexa. I thought for sure Lexa was a goner.

3. sigh says:

They rushed Bellamy’s arc, and as much as I enjoy Clexa (though I am a Bellarke shipper), they’re rushing those feelings too. I’m just going to quote Mo Ryan’s excellent Vanity Fair review, because I’m so disappointed in my favorite show that I can’t find my own words.

“When it’s working, “The 100” helps viewers understand why its characters make decisions that are sometimes quite gruesome and ruthless. Not so with what transpires with Bellamy and Pike.

“…when moments like this work on “The 100,” those choices have sprung from strong character foundations and have added to the shadings of that individual’s personality going forward.

“In my view, “The 100” rushed through every single element that was supposed to get me to understand his decision to join Pike’s faction. We barely met his forgettable girlfriend, who ended up being an unfortunate instance of “fridging” in a show that has generally avoided such regrettable tropes.”

And then, nailing it totally:

“As I wrote at the start of the season, at times, “The 100” just gets ahead of itself and doesn’t give character trajectories and decisions enough convincing weight and believable momentum.”

4. Sawyer says:

Great episode. Go Lexa and Clarke! Bellamy really you definitely need Clarke to talk sense into ypo.

5. Angel says:

I love that this show surprises me so much, I was expecting and dreading Lexa’s death in this episode so that was number one. Then, never ever imagined the Ice Queen would die. Finally freaking Pyke being the big bad instead of the Ice Nation…next week baby

6. T.M. says:

I love this show so much. Bellamy poor life choices :(

7. Mark Watney says:

A little irrelevant but where is Wick? We haven’t seen him since the premiere.

8. Luli says:

Attacking the army of Grounders that is there to protect them is a completely wrong move, how could Bellamy side with Pike? Blood must have blood, and Pike should be the first in line. And I thought that Jaha was a pain in the ass… (he still is, but damn I hate Pike).

I’m loving the Clarke and Lexa progression. I think those two characters are the strongest and most interesting part of the show, may them be together or apart. Individually they are great. I need more screen time from them. Lexa is a badass. That whole fight scene was incredible, I’m glad they didn’t kill of Roan.

Jasper has graduated to the most annoying character in the show. Who would have thought that at the beginning of the show?

9. G says:

They got me really good. I thought having Brenda Strong as a villain (and listed with 11 episodes on IMDB!) meant she’d be with us all season. I actually gasped when Lexa killed her. This show is easily one of the most shocking on tv without compromising their story. I feel like it would get so much recognition on any other network, but I need to seriously THANK the CW for keeping it renewed for so long.

10. J says:

I enjoy so many things about this show (the fight scene and spear to the queen was fun to watch), but Bellamy siding with Pike seems totally out of place given Bellamy’s behavior to date. Putting his apparent lust for blood aside, wouldn’t he still at least be concerned with the implications of Pike’s killing spree on Clarke? (He knows she’s all by herself at the capital and wouldn’t he be worried that the grounders might kill her given the blood for blood mantra we know so well? And I’d think Abby would bring that up to stop Bellamy as well?)

If Bellamy really kills 300 grounders sent to protect them, I’m not sure how Clarke could ever forgive him. At that rate, I’d give a Roan/Clarke hookup higher odds than a Bellarke one. Here’s to hoping Bellamy tells Pike they’ve gone too far before all those people get killed and then Pike goes and does it on his own and I can continue to hate just Pike :)

• Sarah says:

So is the “big bad” this season coming from the sky crew?? And is Clark going to side with Lexa against them?? Is that the direction the writers are taking the show?? I can’t easily believe Bellamy would go against Indra and Lincoln’s clan after everything they’ve been through based on losing a 10-second girlfriend, being hoodwinked by someone he must clearly know was working with Ice Nation (Echo) or even for feeling betrayed by Clark for choosing to stay in Polis. I just thought there was much more to his character by now. But Pike, he is a massive douche who needs strapping to a pole and made to suffer the deaths of 300 Grounders sharpish!!!

11. Naenae says:

Characters behaving like idiots just to push a predefined plot makes me angry, thus for me the only acceptable solution is:

Bellamy is secretly working with Kane. They set the whole thing up to get rid of Pike, because they knew he will cause huge problems down the line.
    Pike and his few troublemakers will march into a trap (Indra has been informed of what they are planning and will happily await and take care of them. Not necessarily kill them, but at least capture them and take them away)

That’s the only thing I accept as not jumping the shark in terms of character behavior.
    Kane, Bellamy and even Abby can’t be as stupid as they got portrayed this episode. It just doesn’t work after how they have been shown so far. Not that they ever were geniuses or anything, but they did grow into their leadership roles. And it was pretty obvious what Pike is after, they must have seen it coming a mile away.

• Ashlee says:

Honestly that’s what I assumed too, that they were in on it and it’s a setup for Pike’s downfall. I think they saw that he was a liability to the coalition.

12. cat says:

So happy we finally got to see Lexa fight :) That was awesome!!!!

• Sarah says:

The fight scene was ok, I just don’t buy Lexa beating Roan and I wonder if he went easy on her to be honest. Maybe there was some plot to make her look good to improve her weak position and kill Queen Nia at the same time setting Roan up as the new King to forge a better alliance with the Ice Nation?? I’m sorry, I have to think there is more to it than what we saw because I don’t just believe Lexa, however well-trained she may be, would beat Roan in combat on any day ending in ‘Y’!!! And Clarke is such a rubbish would-be assassin. This is he second time Roan as conspired with her of sorts to get rid of someone and both times she’s failed miserably. Clearly, Wanheda is destined only to engineer large-scale death.

13. haideryo says:

STOP ***KING POSTING SPOILERS! Can I not do a simple google search without massive spoiled deaths popping up?!?!?!?

14. Sarah says:

Is Bellamy the ‘major character’ that is going to be killed off???

15. Shaw says:

My only question for the stupid ppl in the sky crew is how do you expect someone that couldn’t keep half of the number that you all amount to alive how.is he gonna help keep.you alive..

16. Lisa says:

Will lexa and Clarke be in a romantic relationship

17. BrianR says:

Come on Clarke you know you want to do Lexa so get it on FGS.

18. Amber says:

Pike new what he was doing luring Bellamy in. I’m team Clarke and lexa. I was so hoping lexa stayed alive. Wonder what’s going to happen when pikes poor leadership comes to play slaughtering the innocent there to protect them.

19. T says:

Team ClaRoan! Im hoping Clarke and Roan hook up. Cmon writers. Make it happen. It would make for some hot scenes!

20. Cwilson says:

Pike and those involved (minus Bellamy) need to be handed over to the coalition. Blood must have blood. The messed up part about that is Monty’s mom will have to pay also. Monte will be in pain but maybe him and Jasper will make up and help each other through it. At the end of “boss talks” I have to say I was pissed off! Then I realized how invested in the show I really am. I hope the show continues to draw me in as it has since episode 1. My new favorite show! Oh yeah, let’s see more of Lexa and Clark! You can see in their eyes that they are in love with each other. Come on writers make that happen!

21. Helpme says:

Can you please tell me how much are you sure that lexa’ s gonna die ?

22. Kayser says:

Hey look another black guy cool….wait he is a bloodthirsty mindless bigot who killed hundreds based on no evidence and is most likely a one season throwaway antagonist?

Its ok, at least we have Jaha. Oh wait, he is shaping up to be an antagonist too? He is being led by some shady AI who’s final plan looks like something out of the Matrix?

Par for the course The 100, guess I know why I stopped watching.

23. jendowoz says:

How Will A.L.L.I be defeated and when? I am getting a little fed up with all the negatives with not a glimpse of hope for Clarke and the others ever showing through. It is great to have all the tension etc., but with week after week we are only seeing all the failed attempts with no chance of every getting on top of things. A little success every now and then would not go astray. I’m almost ready to stop watching it because of this.

24. jendowoz says:

Will ALLI ever be defeated? I’m getting fed up with all the negatives without any glimmer of success or hope for Clarke and the others. Week after week all the viewers are getting is more deaths, with not even a glimpse of progress for them in any episode. A little taste of hope would not go astray and keep us watching. As it stands now I’m almost ready to stop watching it even though I’ve stuck with it from the beginning.