Jared Padelicki in Gilmore Girls Revival

Gilmore Girls: Jared Padalecki Returning as Dean for Netflix Revival

Rory’s dance card is officially full.

Jared Padelecki is set to return to Netflix’s four-episode Gilmore Girls continuation as Dean, TVLine has confirmed. The Supernatural actor’s casting ensures that the upcoming revival will feature Rory’s three most significant love interests (joining Matt Czuchry’s Logan and Milo Ventimiglia’s Jess).

Quick refresher: Dean disappeared from Gilmore when his romance with Rory — rekindled while he was still married to Lindsay — fizzled after he realized the teen sweethearts had grown too different. His final appearances came in Season 5, when he warned Luke against planning a future with Lorelai.

Padalecki is currently shooting Supernatural Season 11 in Vancouver. The fact that both Supe and Gilmore Girls are produced by Warner Bros. likely streamlined negotiations.

Amy Sherman-Palladino and exec producer Daniel Palladino (AKA Team Palladino) will write and direct the entire revival, which will consist of four 90-minute episodes/mini-movies. As TVLine exclusively revealed, each chapter will represent a different season over the course of one calendar year (as such, the episodes will be titled “Winter,” Spring,” Summer” and “Fall”). The revival will be set in the present day, or roughly eight years after the series ended.

Flip through the gallery below to review the current revival cast list (refresh for the latest’ — new names are are being added on a daily basis). And then hit the comments with your reaction to Dean’s return!

1. Lorna says:

So excited he and Milo are returning.

2. “His final appearance came in Season 5, when he warned Lorelai against planning a future with Luke.”

-Strike that, reverse it. He warned Luke while they were working on the Stars Hallow Museum in the Twickham house that Luke wanted for he and Lorelai.

3. Agata says:

Great news!!

4. Yay! But it’s going to screw me up so bad to have to call him “Dean” again. LOL, it

5. aph1976 says:

I’m happy with news but just because Jared Padalecki is returning doesn’t mean he’s going to be in all 4 movies.

6. Reada says:

Now can someone please talk Melissa McCarthy into returning?

7. Wow. I’m Team Jess but I’m excited to see them all! I want closure for Dean and Logan, and something more for Jess ;)

8. Dan says:

That’s awesome. It always felt wrong me that Dean was supposedly still living in Stars Hallow yet we never saw him again after season 5.

9. cnomad says:

Will he finally have to cut his hair? Please, please, PLEASE make that happen.

10. Kirsten says:

I am happy that most of the Stars Hollow residents will be there. Unless ASP says it’s true, I do not believe Melissa McCarthy’s tweet that she wasn’t invited.

• Jeri says:

I think Melissa wanted a very special, personal, invitation. Not a shout out or through her reps, Maybe if shes so picky its just as well if she doesn’t make it. I did love Sookie, though.

• shutuprob says:

McCarthy’s assertion that she wasn’t asked to do the revival never passed the smell test. She, Jared Padalecki and Emmy-Award-Winning Screenwriter Danny “Mockingjay Parts 1 & 2” Strong are the show’s biggest success stories amidst the non-leads. There’s no way that the Palladinos and pretty much everyone else on the show isn’t frikkin’ proud of her success in Mike & Molly and big screen movies, so there’s no way that this would be an oversight. Which clearly makes it about money — and, really, McCarthy’s agent should be kicking her right now for handling it so badly. When it’s about money, you don’t blame the writers of the show, you leave it at scheduling issues, such as “I’ve got a huge promotional tour for Ghostbusters, yadayadayada,” whatever.
      Even if she has some hard feelings about, say, what they wrote (or didn’t write) for her in season 7 — which, of course, wasn’t the Palladinos’ fault (because, duh, they weren’t there) — or whatever, you *don’t* make a passive-aggressive lie like this one. Because, well, it’s a straight-up lie no matter how you try to slice it. And it’s not like there isn’t a flop like Tammy in McCarthy’s repertoire for each hit like Spy. And she and her husband have another one of those coming up soon.

11. alistaircrane says:

I hope this doesn’t mean Supernatural is ending! :-/

12. Jason says:

My hope is that each guy appears in one of the four. These three men had such significant roles in Rory’s life. And although I loved them all, I think it would be interesting if in the end Rory’s first love ended up being her last. I think it would be kind of strange for her to wind up with someone completely new since there aren’t enough episodes to establish a new love interest.

• NarnianLady says:

YES TO THIS. I was always Team Dean!

• Marci says:

I am too, although we seem to be in the minority. I don’t understand why female viewers gravitated to the obnoxious Jess. Even as a teenager, I didn’t like the so-called “bad boys.” I would have loved to have had a boyfriend like Dean, who wasn’t always disappointing me.

• NarnianLady says:

Ikr I didn’t like them either. I thought Jess was the worst of the 3 because he was rude, unreliable, kept breaking her heart, etc. Logan was kinda ok but seemed too self-centered. He was a total peacock. Same regarding having a bf like Dean.

13. brandydanforth81 says:

Yaaay

14. Sara says:

Ugh NO! I’m fine with Logan/Jess/new love interest/Rory as a single but please, for the love of God, not Dean. Don’t ruin this, ASP!

15. orchardist says:

Yes! I want a good closure for Dean. I feel like he’s a Stars Hollow resident who got dumped on the side of the road. His character was better than that.

16. nadialus says:

I’m okay with Rory ending up with anybody but Dean. I hope that his character has had some growth and has done something with his life.

17. I have watched the entire Gilmore Girl series back to back,several times in a row. I can identify with each and every character on that show. Not one actor was miscast!
    I often hoped for an updated version to come around,so you can imagine how happy i am that it’s finally happening. Please keep me posted as to the progress,cause I’m “all in” in this relationship!!!

18. Luis says:

The Triple Crown!

19. GraceM says:

Not surprised at Dean’s return. Jess and Dean together again, lol!

20. Bwhit says:

I see him being the one who remarried, has a couple kiddos and is the soccer dad or something like that. Happy all these actors love this show so much that they are returning.

21. sammy says:

He was always better than Jess (ugh) but he wasnt right for her… in the end I hope he is happy with his ideal person. Rory was too much for him.

22. DonnaG says:

I can’t wait! It looks fantastic!

23. Susan says:

I LOVE GILMORE GIRLS AND I AM 52. LOL I AM WATCHING IT ON UP TV. I LOVE THE WHOLE CAST. I AM EXCITED FOR DEAN TO COME BACK!! I ACTUALLY GOT NETFLIX SO I COULD SEE THE REVIVAL…..I WISH MELLISSA (SUKKI) WOULD COME BACK SHE WAS AWESOME AND THAT WOULD MAKE IT COMPLETE! I PRINTED IN CAPITALS BECAUSE I AM REALLY EXCITED!!

24. Laurie says:

What about Sookie? How could they have it without her? Especially I’d Lorelai still has the inn. I know she’s a big star now, but we need her!
    And what’s with Sutton Foster? I really like her, but where will she fit in? Lorelei’s new best friend if Sookie doesn’t return?

• Jodi says:

Sutton was in an ASP show that aired on ABC Family called Bunheads (she was a ballet teacher) alongoing with Kelly Bushop and cameos of a bunch of other GG actors. No idea how she’s going to fit in but, I can say she can definitely keep up with the quick speaking that Lorelei and Rory are known for.

25. Pia says:

So… was the pricy actor Chad Michael Murray? Lol

26. Drew says:

It will be cool to see him back, but weird to see him called Dean again.
    I hated what they did with his character, as well as Rory’s. That was the point where the show went off the rails, regardless of what people want to say about season 7.
    I do hope the hair people know more about doing long hair on men than the Supernatural people. It’s been bugging me for years. Instead of being all manly and rugged, it looks like he spends two hours with a hair dryer every morning.
    Speaking of Supernatural, part of me feels bad for the Sam side of Jared. He obviously had a Gilmore Girl phobia in season 2.

27. Gail says:

They should do an episode of Supernatural where the boys are in a town like Stars Hallow, the townspeople resemble the Gilmore Girls cast, and everyone keeps calling Sam ‘Dean”.

28. cassie says:

oh look at that. of course there was no ”conflicting schedule” for him, but when it comes to jensen being offered a part on something else, they can’t never change it to acomodate him… what a big bunch of bs & hypocrites. & yeah he was’nt fishing for another job last year when dropped out of cons to ”rest” & went to the gg reunion, right…

• San Summer says:

AAs/Minions truly are bitter whenever Jared has some success. It’s too bad they feel so threatened by him.

• NarnianLady says:

Um. Jared was NOT fishing for other jobs since he has stated repeatedly how much he enjoys doing SPN and wouldn’t quit for anything. Also not everything is some conspiracy to favour one actor over the other. How about learning the FACTS before posting unfounded opinions kthx.

29. San Summer says:

Yesterday, when I saw that Deadline reported “I hear Jared Padalecki also is joining the cast,” I screamed in excitement.

When I saw a confirmation on Jared’s Twitter and here, I didn’t scream as loud because I was expecting him to be returning for the revival but I still screamed a bit :D

30. Frank says:

Wonder if Dean is divorced or if somehow Dean and Lindsey patched things up.

31. Jenna says:

This is such disappointing news! Deans arc was completely wrapped up long before the show ended. Might as well bring back Max Medina as well.
    I understand bringing back Jess & Logan as they could have a place in Rorys adult life, but not him. Rory will be 30 years old!

32. Sabrina says:

OMG this just made my life! I love love love the idea of this and I’m so excited to see it. I hope it doesn’t take too long ♡

33. Jeri says:

Jared was mostly a nice good guy but he did not like it when he didn’t get his way. For instance, when Rory didn’t say she loved him right away when he did. He seemed well brought up but the spoiled boy of the family. ( To me, anyway.) He always wanted things to go his way and got perturbed when they did not. Hope Rory doesn’t end up with him.

34. Linda says:

Yay. I just hope they fix his character since they messed it up. I want him to be in a healthy relationship and not still pining for Rory. (Hey, they could bring in Louise, Madeline or Tristan for said relationship.)

35. sarah says:

Yay ! So excited for Jared Padalecki’s return !

36. tattoorose40 says:

Its such good news & was expected Jared is such a great guy & has skyrocketted in Supernatural that its going to be great seeing him in the show that launched him from Dean to Sam. From taping #SPN to the almost weekly cons & his charity #TWLOHA I hope he doesnt wear out but so excited. Gonna b a great cast. Too bad its not been renewed as a weekly series.

37. John.B says:

Thanks for the article. For those who want to change their Netflix region to get more content, you can use UnoTelly or other similar tools to access the global Netflix catalogue.

38. Alex says:

I heard rumblings around the Web that Melissa McCarthy was a bit burnt out towards the series end and she and Lauren Graham were not so friendly any longer by the series finale
    Since it’s Gilmore Girls and not Sookies story maybe the Palladino’s figured to opt out of having Melissa back