Danny Strong Joins Gilmore Girls Revival

Gilmore Girls Revival: Danny Strong Heading Back to Stars Hollow as Doyle

I can’t believe the Yale Daily News didn’t break this.

Sources confirm to me exclusively that Danny Strong has closed a deal to reprise his role as Paris’ longtime love Doyle in Netflix’s Gilmore Girls revival. His casting would seem to suggest that Paris (Liza Weil, who’s also confirmed to return) and Doyle are still together when the action picks up nearly a decade later.

Strong currently serves as an executive producer on Fox’s Empire.

Amy Sherman-Palladino and exec producer Daniel Palladino (AKA Team Palladino) are writing and directing the entire revival, which will consist of four 90-minute episodes/mini-movies. As TVLine exclusively revealed, each chapter will represent a different season over the course of one calendar year (as such, the episodes will be titled “Winter,” Spring,” Summer” and “Fall”). The revival will be set in the present day, or roughly eight years after the series ended.

1. Babybop728 says:

Yassss! Been waiting for this news! Paris and Doyle are hilarious and perfect together.

2. Yes! I was worried about this and I’m so happy it suggests Paris/Doyle are still together. I love them so much!

3. This is gonna sound stupid … but there are only 4 episodes. I really want those to revolve around Lorelai, Rory, Emily (and Luke). I don’t want the supporting characters to take up too much screen time.

• Jennifer says:

Agreed, but the supporting players played such a big part in Loreli’s and Rory’s lives … they have to be a part.

• Gillian says:

I agree with you. There are so many supporting characters returning and it is only for 4 episodes- how can they have all of these people on the series in a short time and still focus on the main characters? Unless there will be a season 2, if the ratings go well.

• @Gillian: Yeah that’s exactly my point…

• Katie T says:

They can easily focus on Lorelai,Rory and Emily and still have all the supporting characters. They aren’t going to take away from the when most are residents of Stars Hollow and will simply interact in the way they did in the original series. And the others like Dean, Jess, Logan, Paris etc almost certainly won’t be in every episode. It’s also not like they have to cram in everything in 4 normal episodes and account for time for tv ads, it’s 4 mini movies around 90 minutes each so plenty of time to include everyone and tell the story properly

• lauren says:

Did people think the leads would be acting on a stage against a black curtain??? Of course there are supporting characters milling about.

• Bob Gassel says:

Remember that these are 4 NINETY minute episodes without commercials…that makes them twice as long as normal GG eps…so we’re really getting 8 more eps

• Jimmy says:

Completely agree.

4. Jennifer says:

This gets better and better. I also heard (via NY Daily News, so consider the source) that David Suttcliffe also signed on. So then really, ALL the men (except Grandpa Gilmore, may he rest in peace) will be back

Any confirmation?

5. I’m gonna end up having to binge watch this whole show, lol.

6. Elantc says:

Ok, but seriously, if super busy stars like Danny and Jared can make time to come back to Stars Hollow, can’t Melissa?? I know she’s a big movie star and all, but I want to see Sookie! Please, Melissa, please!!!

7. JK says:

I hope Doyle & Paris are married, have a bunch of kids & Doyle is a stay at home dad.

8. Mm says:

Didn’t Doyle and Paris break-up toward the end of the series? So they would have gotten back together off-screen?

• Cp says:

They got back together right before the finale. Doyle wouldn’t let Paris break up with him! She was scared of new horizons and he called her bluff/ stepped up to the plate. It was sweet, actually.

9. Cp says:

I definitely didn’t expect this but am so excited to here it!! Paris and Doyle forever! I saw some compaibfs about the reunion cast getting so large, and perhaps there wouldn’t be enough time to focus on Loralei/ Rory/ Luke/ Emily- but I think that GG isn’t the same without a full cast. Even in the original show, the deep bench was not only a part of the show’s strength- it was necessary to very fabric that made Gilmore Girls what it was. I’m excited!

10. Anya says:

Best news so far!!

11. Frank says:

So glad we get to see Doyle and Paris again. They really were the perfect GG couple. Now just waiting for Zach and Mrs Kim to sign on. I also hope we see Jackson even if Sookie is a no show. I also hope we at least find out what the sex of Jackson and Sookie’s third kid was

12. So excited!!! I was thinking he might be too busy/too expensive these days. Loved Paris and Doyle.

13. jj says:

ecstatic about this casting!

14. Mary says:

I am glad most of the cast is coming back, even all of Rory boyfriends. I don’t want her to end up with any of them but to see them all together will be great. Melissa is probably too expensive so I won’t hold out for her, but I will be pleasantly surprise if she does. Out of all the revivals , this is the one I most want the most.

15. Lyn says:

Yayyyy Doyle. But where is the announcement that Michael DeLouise will be back as TJ? He and Liz are hilarious!

16. Great to hear! I really wasn’t expecting this. Danny Strong has arguably had the most successful post-GG career aside from Melissa. Glad that he or “his people” don’t think a netflix revival is below him. (cough cough Melissa)