Exclusive
Sutton Foster on Gilmore Girls

Sutton Foster Set for Gilmore Girls Revival — as Her Bunheads Character?!

Is the Gilmore Girls revival going to give us the final four words to Bunheads, too?!

TVLine has learned exclusively that Sutton Foster — who headlined Gilmore creator Amy Sherman-Palladino’s late, great, painfully short-lived ABC Family dramedy Bunheads — will have a role in the upcoming Netflix continuation.

What’s not known is if Foster will be playing her Bunheads character Michelle or a new role. Here’s hoping against hope (and any intellectual property hurdles) that it’s the former — though we guess that would probably mean Foster would have to do a double-take upon seeing Emily, given that Kelly Bishop played both the Gilmore grandma and Bunheads‘ Fanny.

Foster, who is currently starring in TV Land’s Younger, is the first confirmed member of the revival’s cast who was not a part of the original series.

How do we feel about Foster’s addition to the cast, Gilmore fans? And do you hope she’ll bring Bunheads‘ Michelle to Stars Hollow? Sound off in the comments!

1. Rob says:

Oh how fun! It’s really turning into a delightful little show isn’t it?

2. Wordsmith says:

That would be awesome if she showed up as Michelle, though it does open up a potentially tricky Kelly Bishop doppelganger situation…

3. Mm says:

Love her– I’m betting she is Luke’s current girlfriend or love interest. Or maybe as the replacement for Sookie as Lorelei’s BFF. Either could be powerful.

4. Mike says:

Miss Patty could retire and Michelle could take over!

5. Jem says:

I hope Sutton’s character is Lorelei’s new bff

6. Bill says:

Only 4 episodes. Stick to the original cast members and resolved their stories.

• Kate Donnelly says:

I agree

• IR0413 says:

Agreed. I hate to say it because a lot of people and ASP love her, but I actually find her a little annoying (or at least her Bunheads character.)

• faulknerjer says:

She did seem to do a Lorelai impression, and I didn’t find it charming at all. She is great on the stage

I don’t mind a little winking cameo. But I do worry that they’re gonna try to do too much. Gg was never a plot heavy show. And tons of cameos could easily come off too cutesy/contrived. Having all of Rory’s exes popping up is already stretching it.

• IR0413 says:

Exactly – she never did seem to hit the lines or emotion like Lauren Graham did. And her character was just kind of awkward and irritating to me. It’s not unusual for me to feel that way about tv characters though – I have the same reaction to Jessica Jones and Lena Dunham’s character on Girls. Maybe if she plays a different type of character, it will be fine.
          I
          TOTALLY agree about the gratuitous cameos though. I definitely don’t need Dean back just for the sake of having him back – his story was way over in season 5. And for that matter, the Logan story felt pretty done too. Jess was the only one that there seemed to be some unfinished business with.

• April says:

I think because there are only 4 episodes and each is a different season we probably won’t see Jess or Logan in each episode so I think it will flow fine. They will probably just touch on where her relationships stand with these men in present day.

• faulknerjer says:

I know they won’t be in every episode, but just having both return at all as well as a potential new boyfriend might be too much. I want quality. I’m not interested in who ends up with who or spending half of these episodes relaying the past (which was one of the problems with the Veronica Mars movie). I fear there might be too much fan service.

• April says:

I felt like that too when I first started watching Bunheads. I think I thought of her as a poor man’s Lorelai. But as I continued watching she grew on me and now I like her on Younger as well. I think because her pace and style was like Lorelai it was hard not to compare them immediately.

7. Christopher says:

This is so awesome! Love her, loved Bunheads!

This almost makes up for the terrible, cringeworthy news that Jess will be making an appearance.

8. Kitty biscuits says:

She could be Miss Patty’s new protégé!

9. Deb Daly says:

Nothing at all against Ms. Foster, but they can’t line up Melissa McCarthy and want to add someone who wasn’t even in The Gilmore Girls?????

10. James says:

Considering it would be weird (but stranegly hilarious) if her Bunheads character meets a doppleganger of her mom-in law, it will surely be the latter (new character). :D

11. Kate Donnelly says:

I kind of hope shes not a big role, it will really take me out of the world otherwise I think!!

12. Sarah says:

Yaaay !!!

But how can she be playing Michelle ? Multiple GG alums were on Bunheads as entirely different people.. Baffled. ;p

• Whisperia says:

Multiple GG alums were on GG as entirely different people. Sherilyn Fenn, Marion Ross, and Alex Borstein off the top of my head. I know there were more. Kelly Bishop having played a different character on Bunheads doesn’t pose a problem at all in this universe. Heck, with how far technology has come in the last eight years they could do an Orphan Black split screen thing and have her play both.

13. Lucas says:

She needs to be taking over Miss Patty’s studio!!!

14. Nunya says:

That would be so awesomely fantastic!! I LOVED Bunheads!!!

15. Fanny could be Emily’s twin sister.

16. mooshki says:

Yay! I miss Bunheads so much. Still have an episode saved on my DVR. (‘Istanbul not Constantinople’ dance.)

17. daveedtjr says:

I disagree. No bunheads characters!
    Ruins the purity, that is The Gilmore Girls. I do love Sutton Foster, though!

18. Sheila says:

Yay! I love Sutton Foster!

19. Christy says:

YAAYYYY!!!

20. Alanah Harper-Brecht says:

This is the best news ever. I am a huge fan of Gilmore Girls and an even bigger fan of Sutton. I don’t think she should be playing Michelle from Bunheads because it would be strange but I am beyond excited to see her with Lauren Graham it’s going to be amazing.

21. DramaMomma says:

I could handle a tie in with Miss Patty’s studio, but I am reliving the pain of losing Hubbell all over again. I almost chucked my remote at the tv at the end of the Bunhead premiere.

22. shutuprob says:

Since Gilmore GIrls’ basic cable home of ABC Family (now Freeform) produced/owns Bunheads, I have the sneaking suspicion that Freeform is going to be copacetic about letting Bunheads exist on Earth-Lorelai. Might get the new generation of Gilmore fans to take a look at Bunheads, like they should have the first time around.

23. Lili says:

But Gilmore Girls already has a character named Michelle.

24. LilCece says:

This thing is getting betternbetter!

25. sandra says:

If they give her something to sing, I’ll be happy. She’s my fave Broadway performer

26. IR0413 says:

Really, really not excited about this.

27. Christy says:

Hmm. Interesting. Bunheads was fun so I wouldn’t mind seeing her again. She could keep the dance thing and work for Miss Patty’s dance studio. Which would mean she would probably never have a scene with Emily so that eliminates that problem. Unless they have a quick “Wait, do I know you? Nah…” moment just to be cute.

28. xx says:

Is this why you guys had Bunheads on the cable renewal page for like three years???

29. BrianR says:

How about another Gilmore cousin?

30. Arlene says:

I adore Sutton Foster. So yay, so happy, and hoping too that it’s the miraculous latter … Michelle meets Stars Hollow.

31. April says:

That is great! Sutton was awesome on Bunheads and now Younger! I can imagine a very interesting and fast paced sequence taking place between her and Lorelai!

32. Bink says:

is there an actual reason to think she’s playing her Bunheads character and not just…say, Christopher’s new wife?

33. Simone says:

I never did get to see any of Bunheads, but I am very intrigued by our first non-original cast member. Should be interesting :D

34. Eran says:

There is no reason to assume she’ll be reprising her Bunheads role. The same way Shonda Rhimes has her cast pool which she likes to use and reuse in various projects, chances are the Sherman-Palladinos simply love Ms. Foster (as well they should!) and saw an opportunity to write her into a world where I for one think, she would blend in seamlessly. These are writers talented and capable enough to create something new and worthy of the Gilmore Girls universe and of SF’s talents.

35. Sammy says:

My theory is that she is a cousin or close relative of the Gilmores. She swoops in to comfort Emily after Richard’s death. But she has an ulterior motive and wants everything once Emily dies. Just a wild theory. She does bare a resemblance to Lauren Graham in this pic…

36. Bark Star says:

This had me squeaking like a fangirl. Good thing no one was there to hear it.
    I dont see a problem with the doppelganger factor. Just ignore it. Maybe make a little fun quib but otherwise dont adress it and everyone will accept it.

37. Heather says:

How would that work … she had a son that no one knew about and he too died .

38. Lisa says:

I must be in the minority here– but I am NOT happy about this development. I don’t like Sutton Foster on TV. Didn’t like Bunheads… don’t like Younger… because of her.
    I do believe she’s probably great on Broadway– but I don’t think she translates well to TV– she overacts on the small screen.

I can only hope she will not have a prominent role on the GG reprise. I loved that show, but adding Sutton Foster to the cast dampened my enthusiasm for the new version.

• IR0413 says:

Completely 100% agree. It really dampened it for me.I hope her role is very, very minor.

I haven’t tried Younger yet, but something tells me I would have the same reaction to her as I did in Bunheads. I found her too annoying to even keep watching.

39. Maria says:

Absolutely loved Bunheads! Glad to hear this news…and any other GG news to be honest. Any word on Hep Alien?

40. brandydanforth81 says:

This is great.But why woukd she play her Bunheads character ?Michelle is in Paradise Cali while Stars Hollow,Conn is where everyone is.Plus it would be too confusing to have two characters named Michel/Michelle.

• NJMark says:

“Hey you look like my mother-in-law from California. And you sound like her. And you even SPEAK exactly like her!”

Yeah, it’s OK for a performer to play two DIFFERENT characters, even if they’re written by the same person.

41. chaosrainz says:

I still think Bunheads wasn’t given it’s due and should have gotten another season! Love Sutton on Younger though and it will be fun seeing her in any incarnation on GG. :)

42. Laurie says:

I really liked her AND the Bunheads show so I wouldn’t mind if she showed up as that character. I feel the same as the article though…how do we explain Kelly Bishop being a different person in Stars Hollow? Actually they could have her open a studio in Stars Hollow (wasn’t Bunheads in California?) and if she ever sees Emily Gilmore she could just say “damn, you look JUST like someone I knew in California!” (God, I’ve given this waaay too much thought. I guess I really miss The Gilmore Girls.)
    (LOVE LOVE LOVE Kelly Bishop, by the way!)

43. Kingmose1 says:

Sutton Foster and Lauren Graham on my tv screen at the same time?! Can’t wait! Now if they would only toss out Christopher, Logan and Jess I would be happy.

44. Phil says:

Sutton’s character should prove (eventually) to be Lorelei’s half-sister!

45. Amanda says:

Anyone want to bet she’s married to Christopher?? (Not as bunheads character )

46. luvtheheaven says:

I definitely hope and suspect she will be playing different character.

47. HAP says:

Sutton Foster is an extremely talented entertainer. Think her two Tonys support my thought.

48. i wonder if she is gonna take on the role of Luke’s daughter April.

49. Lisa says:

Omg! This is great! Bunheads was cut too short!

50. forg9587 says:

If she’s going to do her Bunheads character, I need to see a dance number please, preferable with some of the Bunheads girls