Hayley Atwell ABC Pilot

Hayley Atwell Lands Lead in Conviction Legal Drama Pilot at ABC

TV’s Agent Carter is looking to moonlight, on a very different kind of mission.

Hayley Atwell has landed the lead in Conviction, a drama pilot in development at ABC.

The project will star Atwell as the brilliant-but-rebellious daughter of a Clinton-like political family, who is forced into taking a job as the head of Los Angeles’ newly created Conviction Integrity Unit. Along with her team of lawyers, investigators and forensic experts, she has two weeks to examine cases where there’s credible suspicion that the wrong person may have been convicted of a crime.

What does this mean for Agent CarterIn the event that Conviction is ordered to series and ABC’s Marvel drama is renewed for Season 3 (after returning to depressed ratings), TVLine hears that Atwell’s schedule would be worked out so that she could do both roles.

Mark Gordon and Nick Pepper will executive produce the pilot with co-creators Liz Friedman and Liz Friedlander. Friedman wrote the pilot, and Friedlander will direct.

1. Mr. Tran K says:

This could be bad news for Agent Carter if the series gets cancelled.

2. Mark says:

NOOOOOOOOO!!!! I NEED AGENT CARTER IN MY LIFEEEEEEEEE!!##

3. ABG says:

The ratings are awful. I love Agent Carter but we should be thankful we even got a second season.

I love Hayley Atwell, and after The Good Wife ends I need a new lawyer show and this one sounds good.

4. Kate Garner says:

Love her! Will watch Hayley in anything. I want more Agent Carter though. And a time-travel story in an upcoming Marvel movie that brings Peggy to the future to be with Captain American. (Yes, total shipper here.)

5. Katie T says:

Really hoping for an Agent Carter season 3 so glad to already hear that she will be able to do both if it does get renewed. This show sounds like it could be good too though so it would be great to have Hayley leading two shows

6. Steve F. says:

Anything to get more Hayley Atwell – she’s awesome! (Also, fingers crossed that we do get a Season 3 of Agent Carter – why aren’t more people watching?)

7. smartysenior says:

I hope she fakes an American accent for this one, I can’t understand a word she says in Agent Carter.

8. Lysh says:

I’m going to need Agent Carter (with Jarvis and Stark) for the rest of my life, but I’m glad if it’s renewed then she’ll be able to do both roles. It doesn’t really sound like my type of show, but I’m glad Hayley is getting more work and I may check it out because I have a slight girl crush.

9. Gospino says:

The new show sounds awful. It seems very similar to a short-lived series called In Justice that was really mediocre despite the presence of Kyle MacLachlan. I expect cardboard characters with little personality and the same old, same old every week. Atwell deserves a better premise.

• John NYC says:

Never heard of it so I’ll wait to judge what the new show’s people actually deliver before judging this isn’t what Attwell “deserves”.

• JP says:

For those who remember that short lived series, MacLachlan’s appearances were minimal and the rest of the characters were pretty shallow . . . the cases that were investigated weren’t all that interesting which only added to its demise. One can only hope that lessons were learned from that ‘attempt’ .

10. Jake L. says:

Well, obviously if Agent Carter were to be renewed, it would be for the usual reduced amount of episodes as fill-in for SHIELD, so presumably that wouldn’t take as long to film as a standard 22-episode cycle, so she could probably easily do both as long as Carter’s renewal would fit its usual episode count.

11. Paul D says:

The more Hayley Atwell we get to see, the better! She is an absolute knockout with the voice of an angel!

12. john036 says:

Well the fact that the pilot is coming from ABC, I have a feeling that Agent Carter is ending after this season.

13. lshoemaker says:

I think Michelle Fazeekas and Tara Butters are also working on another series in development. I love “Agent Carter ” but I think with this news, we’re looking at the end of the series no matter what ABC says right now. It’s unfortunate, because this has been a consistently good series, with great stories and wonderful acting. I often wonder if this show would have done better had it been given it’s own timeslot this season, (not against the monster NCIS block and made to seem more important by ABC) instead of subbing in for AOS. Oh well, at least we got 18 episodes.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

“Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.”

• lshoemaker says:

I don’t think quotes from Dr. Suess will help here, Matt. But thanks for trying. I just get discouraged when good tv doesn’t survive. “Marvel’s Most Wanted” is probably going to be just craptastic, no matter how good Adrianne Palicki is. Maybe they can cast Adrianne as Hayley’s long lost sister in “Conviction” when that fails. Sorry…when I think about the quality of Marvel shows on broadcast network that are gonna be given a chance versus the one they’re dumping, I get frustrated. (Yes, AOS is better, but think of how good it could be if Fazeekas, Butters and their writers were involved.)

14. Dennis says:

Soooooooook basically Agent Carter is cancelled. But hey, super nice for ABC to kind of ensure her employment.

15. girlieq24 says:

I love her, so I will watch anything she is in.

16. If there is anyone who could pull off two kick-ass shows, it’s Hayley Atwell. This woman could read the dictionary and win an Emmy.

17. Walkie says:

Smart for Hayley to get another job lined up.

18. Robin says:

I like Hayley so even if Agent Carter goes away it would be cool to have her on tv again.

19. R.O.B. says:

Agent Carter is great. What is wrong with people?

20. Cassandra says:

Agent Carter should stay on the air. It’s smart, it’s funny, it has a wonderful cast – and I have no idea why all these things haven’t attracted more viewers. I guess they’d rather be watching The Bachelor or some repetitive crime show that’s been on for fifteen years. I do not understand people at all.

Peggy is one of my favorite characters not only in the MCU, but ever, and to lose her would just be a crying shame. She’s strong, fearless, caring, funny, clever, and intelligent, and we need more women like her on TV and in the movies, certainly not less. If ABC takes her away from us, at least let Netflix save her!

21. Ruth says:

I really like Agent Carter, so I hope it is renewed. They need to advertise more.

22. Kristina says:

So happy for her. I love Hayley Atwell, and this show sounds interesting and different, so I’m in. I’d be even happier if this show got picked up AND Agent Carter got renewed, but that’s probably pushing it.

23. irishrose4583 says:

I’m so torn….on one hand I love Hayley Atwell and want her to be super successful! on the other hand I love Peggy Carter and want to watch it forever!! She’s my fave female marvel character-maybe just fave character!!:)

24. dee says:

they better keep her character british, i would be heartbroken if she does this role with an american accent.

25. kirads09 says:

I am glad to have Hayley in another series but hope this is not a bad sign for Agent Carter. So much fun and a great S2 so far – I’m all #TeamRose :-)

26. lame says:

For those who’ve never seen Agent Carter, it’s a dramaty with emphasis on comedy. Peggy Cater can be badass, difference being she does it wearing skirts. The exception is S2,ep5 which was hilariously hysterical from the scene right out of “Gun a fight At The OK Corral” to the 1940’s song “put that pistol down boy,” to Peggy zapping that Letcher 3 or t extra times knowing it could cause brain damage or the look on Rose’s face looking to take out a second thug.

27. Bernaette says:

I wonder if Agent Carter’s ratings would be better if they aired it in the summer with hardly any competition.