Gravity Falls Series Finale

Gravity Falls Creator Previews Series Finale, Doesn't Rule Out Future Special

With just five days until Gravity Falls reaches its too-soon conclusion, fans of Disney XD’s cult hit are dreading the big goodbye — or is just a “see ya later”?

“It’s not inconceivable that one day we may return to this world,” series creator Alex Hirsch told reporters during a press conference Wednesday. “With a little bit of time away from it, it’s possible there might be a special or something.”

Hirsch clarified that there aren’t currently any follow-up plans for the waning series, but promised that fans “will see threads in [the finale] that one could imagine could potentially be addressed in some future form, whether that’s in a comic or a special. … Right now, I am sort of content where it is, but I can’t say what Future Alex might do.” (Side note: “Future Alex” totally sounds like a character you’d find in Gravity Falls.)

Hirsch also explained why he chose to end the series after just 40 episodes: It was his plan all along.

“When I first pitched the show, I pitched it as ‘This thing has only a few seasons. It’s a beginning, middle and end. It’s a book with a certain number of chapters. Once they’re answered, that’s it,'” he said. “That’s how I presented it.”

(Side note No. 2: If you’re looking for spoilers, you’re in for quite a hunt. Hirsch and the gang are keeping even the slightest hints about the series’ final twists under lock and key.)

Gravity Falls‘ series finale airs Monday, Feb. 15 at 7/6. Are you hoping for more someday, or do you agree that it should end on top? Drop a comment with your thoughts below.

1. jasonbres says:

I, for one, am actually satisfied that this show is going out on top. Don’t get me wrong, I love this show as much as every nerd who watches, but, like Alex Hirsch pointed out, this isn’t like Phineas & Ferb where you can stretch out the summer over 10 years. Besides, at least Hirsch is ending it of his own free will, not under pressure from the network.

• powerturtle90sdudemon says:

Also, there are plenty of points where they purposely avoid the series’s main First Dimension Earth summer: Temple of Juatchadoon, Tri-Stone Area, Doof Dynasty, Drusselsteinoween, P&F Star Wars, Tales from the Resistance, and Act Your Age are major examples in different ways.

• Dee says:

I’m with Mabel all the way: My kids got me interested in Gravity Falls, and now I don’t want to see it end. However, the author is the author, so I haven’t got any say in this, but still, I agree with Mabel: Just a little more summer, please!

2. Steve Watson says:

This is hands down the best show on any Disney channel…and I’m a 43 yr. old father of three. This needs to continue!

3. Alexis maldonado says:

Noo! Why does it have to end 😔😭😭😭

4. Mark Mashburn says:

I’m 49 years old and love this show.. I’m a big kid and love cartoons, animated shows however you want to say it. I’ve even got my roommate watching. Hate to see it go but would be awesome if there was a special in case there are questions to be answered. Thanks for a fun mystery filled summer Alex!

5. hopemullinax says:

I know I’m going to be dehydrated from crying for an hour straight as I watch this episode.

6. Sadtoseeitgo says:

Started watching this show with my now 11 yr. Old daughter from the beginning. I absolutely love this animated series and am so sad to see it go. Definitely one of the best I’ve seen and, I’m 47 so I’ve seen a few. I completely understand the reasoning behind Hirsch’s decision. However, it does seem that it might have been meant to go for another season. Maybe Disney stifled him. Maybe he could not come up with enough to make it work. Whatever the reason, the Pines family and their cohorts will be sadly missed in my home. It’s also kind of a kick in the groin to have been made to wait just for the series to end instead of kicking off a final season.

7. Melanie says:

Well hello, umm I think you guys should keep going with the show I LOVE THE show! It’s great I was crying when I saw the finale it was sad but please Alex keep going with the show I really love it I’m not the only one to. Please let all the fans know!!

8. Melanie says:

Also I think you should do it every summer! That will be great

9. Justin Alvarez says:

Alex Hirsch can you keep doing gravity falls I don’t want it to end please I love this show.
    Justin Alvarez San Antonio Tx.

10. Sagar says:

This show’s great and I’d love it if it continued. A special would be good but more seasons would be way better. Please don’t end it for good!!!

11. Tyrone the clone says:

I think that Alex Hirsch has made the write decision on this one.you guys ever seen adventure time or sponge bob. These shows were forced to go on by the fans and where are they now?😕 Lost in a loop with the same ideas every episode. No one wants that to happen Give it some time and it will come back even better (if possible)😃👍😜patience is a virtue and being a douche to Alex is not going to do is crap👌🏻gravity falls will return 😍❤️👌🏻😃😎💕💕💕🤑🤔😛😘😍🤓👏✍

12. alex says:

I think that alex should make more because I was really sad after watching the season finale