Star Trek: Bryan Fuller to Captain New CBS Series as Co-Creator, Showrunner

CBS is boldly handing control of its new Star Trek series to the person best suited for the job: Bryan Fuller.

The acclaimed auteur, who launched his career writing for Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and Star Trek: Voyager, will serve as co-creator and showrunner of the Eye Net’s forthcoming reboot.

As previously announced, the new series will launch on CBS in early 2017, with all subsequent episodes then being available exclusively on CBS All Access, the network’s on demand and live streaming service.

“My very first experience of Star Trek is my oldest brother turning off all the lights in the house and flying his model of a D7 Class Klingon Battle Cruiser through the darkened halls,” said Fuller in a statement. “Before seeing a frame of the television series, the Star Trek universe lit my imagination on fire. It is without exaggeration a dream come true to be crafting a brand-new iteration of Star Trek with fellow franchise alum Alex Kurtzman and boldly going where no Star Trek series has gone before.”

“Bringing Star Trek back to television means returning it to its roots, and for years those roots flourished under Bryan’s devoted care,” said executive producer Alex Kurtzman. “His encyclopedic knowledge of Trek canon is surpassed only by his love for Gene Roddenberry’s optimistic future, a vision that continues to guide us as we explore strange new worlds.”

Fuller’s non-Trek TV credits include Pushing Daisies and, most recently, Hannibal.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Michelle says:

OMG IS THIS REAL LIFE?! *happy dance*

• Annie says:

I KNOW right?! I’m so thrilled. He’s just so flippin’ GOOD at what he does, AND he knows Trek. I cannot wait to see what he does with it all!

• S. says:

Well, I just got done shrieking and I think I’m gonna cry (at least on the inside). This was my dream situation. I thought it would never ever happen because when does something that makes this much sense *ever* happen? I said ‘in a perfect world, Bryan Fuller gets this show.’ I’m happy for us, I’m happy for him, this is brilliant.

2. Good, a Star Trek alumni writer who knows the canons of Star Trek.

3. Lee Mejia says:

How will this work with American Gods and his quest to give us Hannibal Season 4?!

• Steveo says:

It’s baaaad news for HANNIBAL, I imagine

• Daniel says:

Hannibal is dead. Move on people.

• Lucifer says:

Yeah, I’d rather it just be left where it ended, though the thought of Bedelia finally being eaten is enticing. While the series was great with character development along with the artistic & psychological aspects, it became literally full of itself with the third season – which happens when one cannibalizes oneself.

4. Eran says:

I’ve admired his work and vision since Dead Like Me and Wonderfalls. There is nothing that man is involved with that I wouldn’t watch! Superb news.

5. Sara says:

I don’t understand the CBS All Access thing. Is that something extra we would have to pay for?

6. Dawn says:

This makes me happy.

7. Mike D. says:

That’s great news for Star Trek fans. We know that Bryan Fuller will shepherd the new show with integrity and a love for the material. If they could steal Manny Coto from the new 24 series for awhile, they would really have a amazing team.

• NotAnselAdams says:

No, thanks. Everyone associated with Enterprise should definitely be avoided like a nuclear fallout zone. :)

• everart says:

Agreed–don’t know how they managed to make the Enterprise series so boring. Glad they’re rebooting it! “Never give up, never surrender!” oops, wrong franchise :)

8. Pedro McManus says:

9. CMG says:

While I’m happy with the selection, I’m not sure how much he can do to undo some of the damage to Trek that the NuTrek movies have done.

• CMG says:

Right. Yeah. Forgot that this would be on CBS All Access. Even if this turns out to be an amazing series, I’m not willing to pay for CBS All Access. Sorry.

• Scream queen says:

ironuc that a Star Trek fan would fight the future of tv watching

• tvjunkie says:

if it’s an internet service then is it really “tv watching?” Plus you don’t seem to be understanding the concept that it’s a pay service with content limited to mainly old CBS stuff.

• DavidJ says:

The original universe and timeline are still perfectly intact, if they wanted to revisit it.

Although my issue is less with the reboot idea than with the rather simplistic storytelling at the heart of it so far. But I think a TV series set in that world could still work really well, if it was written really well.

• Ben says:

What damage is that?

10. DavidJ says:

Great choice. I’m really looking forward to seeing what they come up with, now that they no longer have to be constrained by the producers of the previous Trek spinoffs. And I have no real preference for the time period or universe, as long as they actually make the show seem fresh and exciting and relevant again.

11. Tom says:

This makes me feel a little better!

12. Ash says:

Hopefully he makes it more Deep Space 9 then Voyager. He isn’t my top pick, which have been Ron Moore and Ira Steven Behr together but if Fuller can bring back the awesomeness of the TNG/DS9 era I would be a very happy camper.

13. Roger says:

Come on Captain Ezri Dax. Hopefully it takes place in 2388 since that’s the year after Romulus was destroyed.

• Tom says:

I for one would love Captain Ezri Dax. I’d also like it if they just ignored the nonsense of Romulus being destroyed and let the JJMovies stand as the officially sanctioned fanfic that they are and have no effect on the proper trek verse

• Captain Ezri Dax is just about one of the ONLY ways you could kill off my interest in this show 100%. I’d rather see Captain Worf, or something tying in nicely to DS9, or even a nod to as many series as possible by casting 1 crew from each show on this one, but giving us a new captain. An alien captain would be nice … it’s the only thing we’ve not seen really.

That being said, I hope they cast an actual fan of Star Trek. I love me some DS9 and I always will, but it was so hard to swallow Avery Brooks’ disgruntled attitude towards fans. Kate Mulgrew was an ambassador, and Patrick Stewart became very generous as time went on … those would be great models to pick. :)

• everart says:

I don’t know much about Avery off camera other than he’s a professor, but he sure gave it his all on camera. He was a terrific captain and amazing actor on the show.

14. Man, James Marsters would totally kick butt as a captain! He’s a total Star Trek geek and has incredible acting chops. Something tells me that Anglo Men are not going to be considered. It’s such a shame because he really could actually pull off the depth of a captain and still not be all whiny.

15. Steven says:

I’m not usually a fan of Star Trek series, but the new movies were ok. However, Bryan Fuller is one of my favorite show runners. He has yet to create a show I don’t love so count me in!

16. Zoe says:

17. peterwdawson says:

That’ll do. Probably one of the better veterans they could have picked.

18. Sandy Duncan's Eye on Network TV says:

Putting this on CBS All Access is a mistake. One of two things will happen 1) CBS won’t have enough subscribers for it to be an ongoing success or 2) It will become a hugely pirated show…popping up on torrents within a few minutes of its release…possible both 1 and 2. CBS should do a time limited exclusive on All Access then rebroadcast it on CBS. With CBS’s shows aging, I think they could use a prime time hit.

19. Annie says:

This is a step in the right direction. Fuller is pretty reliable. Im *so* nervous about this new show. Star Trek has been a part of my life since I was born and I’ve been very unsatisfied with the new movies – they just aren’t Trek. I’m worried the new series will be more of the movie vibe than it will be Trek

20. lindsay says:

Boooo! This is not the reboot I want to see Fuller do. Gimme more Daisies, please, Brian Fuller!

21. Drew says:

Great choice! It will be nice to see Star Trek in the hands of a Star Trek fan, which hasn’t happened in a while. I definitely hope that it’s more DS9 than Voyager.
    That said… I’m not signing up for a paid CBS service. Sorry. Just not happening.

22. A. D. says:

Please Dear God move back to the original Universe and set it post-Voyager!

23. Alice Wulf says:

Just give Bryan Fuller ALL the tv shows. That said, he’s going to be doing this and American Gods. Is he planning on getting any sleep?

24. Jalizar says:

Well, I’m glad to hear there will be a new series of ST, no matter what’s it about. What I don’t like is that it will air on some VOD platform which means a far too small number of people watching. And I fear it might mean that people outside the US will never (legally) be able to see it, or only MUCH later on DVD, if they ever decide to do one.
    AND- I don’t like any of the suggestions for Captain. Guys, you need some time to go through the ranks. Most of those actors are (or seem) far too young. Glad that they are only the website’s ideas and not real ones.

Anyway, looking forward to hear more!

• Marie says:

I was thinking the actors on the slide show were too old.

• :-) says:

I had similar thoughts about the captain suggestions. With the exception of Gina Torres they are all too young.

I think they should look to theater actors. Part of what made TNG, DS9, and voyager so great was the presence of the captain. Kate, Avery, and Patrick were all classically trained. Their delivery of simple lines gave chills.

• Prish says:

I think you’re onto something here. Wasn’t Williams Shatner classically trained,also? I read an article about him having a theater background.

25. David P. Graf says:

I enjoyed DS9 and Voyager to a lesser degree. However, a lot of fans of the Star Trek TOS and TNG were not so happy with either show. I just don’t see one new show being enough to convince people to add yet one more bill to their monthly payout.

26. H. Stark says:

Two words for Captain. Lee Pace – Pushing Daisies by Fuller.

27. Ed says:

Brannon Braga and Rick Berman are the reasons why this JJ Abrams movie travesty was made…terrible

28. tannerose5 says:

I can’t wait. I’ve watched every single episode of every single Star Trek series. Can’t even name a favorite. I love them all.

29. Susan Dietz says:

Bryan Fuller is an excellent choice. (I loved Hannibal.) Gina Torres would be perfect as the new Captain. I loved her in ‘Firefly’ and that same type of kick ass character would be great. Richard Armitage would be grand as well. Jeffrey Dean Morgan (who can play anything) would also fit the bill. I’ve been a Trekker since the early 1970’s and would enjoy another Trek series. (Deep Space 9 was my favorite due to the intense storylines and excellent characters). Although I won’t pay to see it on CBS Access (I’ll wait for the DVD) it’s probably a good idea that it’s not on regular TV. Assuming that CBS will have more leeway on their own All Access (in regard to grittier storylines and more character development), a regular TV timeslot would kill the show. Now, if the show on All Access will be the same as on regular TV, what’s the point of making people pay extra to see it beside the obvious reason?

30. Bark Star says:

What a fortunate turn of events ! Fuller is a talented and well established storyteller. Hopefully he will manage to cancel out Kurzmans complete lack of talent. It will be a tough job undoing all the damage that the Abrams movies have done but I am sure Fuller can do it.

31. Kmbrl says:

R.I.P. Hannibal then?

32. Jake says:

Meh, screw CBS – every other network streams their shows on Hulu, but the greedy bastards at CBS want you to pay separately for their shows? They can go pound sand. I make a point of DVRing anything on CBS just to avoid their streaming service.

33. everart says:

Awesome! Hope he brings some of the quirkiness and fun of Dead Like Me and Pushing Daisies to the show as well as the classic Gene Roddenberry juju. The American people need some love and optimism with all the hate and spitefulness towards minorities, gays and anyone different from the current crop of candidates.

My fave captain picks: 1. Gina Torres; 2. Ken Watanabe. Both powerful actors, would bring something fresh to the franchise. Gina has amazing sci-fi chops so would be my first choice. Plus she’s bad-ass!

34. Mr Wiggly says:

I haven’t read all the comments so i don’t know if my question has been asked and answered, so here goes — has it been decided where/when in the Star Trek timeline will the new series take place? THANX if you can answer this. . . . .

35. Prish says:

Star-Trek canon would be to have the show on network TV, giving access to all. I’m hoping Mr. Fuller is pitching that to the suits, for a year or so out.