The Good Wife Spinoff

Good Wife Spinoff Eyed at CBS: 'Nothing Is Off the Table,' Says EP

The Good… Attorneys?

News that CBS is adjourning The Good Wife in May has triggered your standard-issue spinoff scuttlebutt, with Matt Czuchry’s Cary and Christine Baranski’s Diane seen as two possible centerpieces of such an offshoot.

During a conference call with reporters Monday to discuss the show’s final nine episodes, Good Wife creators Robert and Michelle King weighed in on the possibility of the franchise living on in some form. Short answer: There’s been talk!

“At this point, nothing’s off the table,” Michelle said. “Sure, maybe, we’re not saying no to anything.”

Added Robert: “What would be fun is to find a way to spin off a [cast member] that wasn’t at the center, who we wish we had more time with. The show always centered around the Alicia character. What’s appealing would be pursuing a different ensemble.”

Regarding the timetable for any new Good Wife series, Robert cited the show’s “infrastructure in New York” as one reason to get a potential spinoff off the ground ASAP, adding, “It would be great not to lose that.”

What do you think? If a Good Wife spinoff were to happen, which supporting characters would be at the top of your wish list?

1. Mary Morrus says:

Love Christine. She is a great actress and can sing and dance with the bedt

2. RDT says:

I want a spinoff with Eli and his daughter. Have him move out of Chicago and run a campaign or be chief of staff in another major city. Call it “The Gold Standard.”

3. Wang-Dong Shan says:

Better idea: bring back Kalinda, add in Ziva, and you’ve got “The Oh-So-Good Investgators” … please, PTB, make this happen #NoImNotSerious

4. Andrea says:

I would totally watch a TGW spin-off with Lockhart, Agos, Lee, some Canning, Luca, plenty of Eli, etc. TGW universe is so large and interesting that there would be plenty of story to tell without Alicia

5. Heidi says:

In my opinion, a spin off of ‘The Good Wife’ might work. However, once Kalinda,(Archie Panjabi), left or got fired from the show due to J.M., most could see ‘the end’ of the original show forthcoming.. I do not foresee a ‘spinoff’ working as Kalinda, (Archie Panjabi), who was instrumental in the longevity of “Good Wife”, has now been signed to her own show, “The Jury” to air on ABC …..

• Stacy says:

Which, to those not in the know, sounds like it could be absolutely awesome. *sigh* I love pilot season.

• Mike M says:

Agreed it could be very good. Based on a 2002 UK show that was led to a 2011 UK show. Both were successful mini series. If it is picked up I guess that would be the big qn – would it be an event or a series? I guess multiple trials is all very possible if they do it well.

6. Dave says:

I would love to see a spin-off led by Christine Baranski. Diane is a terrific character who has unfortunately been sidelined in the last season or two.

• Gail says:

Especially if the got Gary Cole back as her husband. All the great stories between a liberal and conservative who are both likable so that one isn’t branded the enemy.

• Stacy says:

I like them because it results in smart storylines. It offers opposing views but each shown in a light that makes it understandable, even if not agreed with fully. Heck, I think it’s more educational than most mudslinging panels and “libtards” vs “right-wing patriarch” crap people spew so often.

• Ro says:

I’m sorry… I always think of Office Space when I see him.

• Dave says:

Absolutely! Christine and Gary are terrific together and that’s a relationship that we’ve seen develop since the first season (believe it or not). I know Cole is busy as a series regular on Veep, another brilliant series and one for which he was nominated for an Emmy, but they only film and rehearse for a few months each year so I think it’s conceivable that he would be available. I’m already sold on the idea!

7. Marilyn says:

Would love a spin off. Lucca??

8. Emm says:

Can there be an Elsbeth Tascioni spin-off? That would be brilliant. ahahaha

9. daveedtjr says:

If The Closer / Major Crimes can pull it off, then….

10. Stacy says:

Good Wife has always had an amazing ensemble cast. They could easily pursue a spin off that would work well. I would love to see it.

• I would love a spinoff as long as JM is not in it. IMO she ruined the show, made it all about her.

• Rosemary Zappia says:

• Gail says:

The show should be about her . Its called The Good Wife. Its not called Chicago Law.

• abz says:

I roll my eyes every time I see comments like this because they are beyond stupid to me. I love the ensemble cast and they’re great but Alicia/JM is the WIFE in The Good WIFE. It will always be primarily about her and you’re delusional if you expected her not to be the main focus and remain central throughout the show’s run.

• It's a spin off says:

Dear abz: Sorry to bud in here; however, the subject of the discussion is a spin-off from the Good Wife and which supporting characters would be on our wish list to be on the spin off. So the underlying message to me is that the Spin-off would not include JM and as such would spin-off under a different name, Much like The Closer spun-off to Major Crimes when the lead character Brenda, wanted to leave the show.

• abz says:

Yes I am well aware that this board is discussing the possibility of a spinoff, but marigold’s comment went beyond that discussion to saying that JM ruined the mother show by making it all about her which is why I shared my comment. I’ve seen comments like marigold’s a lot in recent years and I personally think it’s a silly/childish complaint. The show is, was, and will forever be first and foremost about Alicia Florrick whether people liked it or not. The supporting cast was amazing but she was the priority. So when people say that she ruined the show by making it about her, i don’t get it. It was ALWAYS primarily about her. Her story, her life, her tragedies, her successes, her emotions. Everyone else no matter how amazing will always be secondary to her story and yeah that can suck sometimes because I too have some faves that are pushed aside sometimes, but Alicia was the main draw for me. It’s The Good WIFE not The Good LAWYERS

• It's a spin off says:

I agree with you. The show is called The Good Wife and it is about Alicia. She is the central character of the show. However, we must remember that after year two, JM gained the title of producer. Now, I surely can not read Marigold’s mind when she made the comment that JM ruined the show, with that said, it could well be that within the role of producer was how the show was negatively influenced.

• abz says:

I will agree that the whole split-screen controversy and lack of screen time with Alicia/Kalinda for multiple seasons gave some credence to the rumors of possible behind the scenes drama that may have hindered the show from being even greater, but what bothers me now is how people have gone off the rails with the speculation. Just read some of the comments online. Some are quite vicious. Some people talk as if they were right there and privy to all of the machinations of the show or how they talk like they know JM in person. They comment things as if they’re fact. I’ve seen multiple comments since the Kalinda controversy that are now blaming her for Will leaving when Josh Charles himself said how she played a role in convincing him to come back for that masterpiece of a fifth season. And there are comments about how JM hates Christine Baranski now and that that’s why they don’t get along much in the show. Where is the evidence? Creating this unnecessary rift between Alicia and Diane feels more like a poor storytelling decision rather than some more speculation of behind the scenes drama. There have even been endless comments I’ve come across saying they hate the show now because JM is a nasty person. Well it must be nice that they know her in person and worked with her for them to be able to make such statement.
            We may never really know how much influence JM may have had on the show whether negative or positive and what happened behind the scenes because none of us were there. It will always be rumours and speculation. Her producer title may be just that, a title for vanity that some actors get when shows get successful or maybe she has offered actual creative input. I don’t know.

• It's a spin off says:

ABZ: I wrote an eloquent response to you; unfortunately it did not post. I know~ pretty lame ~”the dog ate my homework 🤕😪🤐

Alicia is a wonderful actor and I hope we will see no

• abz says:

Yeah that’s one thing that’s frustrating about TVLine ever since they switched to this new white background layout a couple years ago. It happens to me too all the time. My comments are randomly eaten up and not posted on the site and then I just give up lol

• Eurydice says:

This reminds me of the complaints that Buffy the Vampire Slayer was too much about Buffy.

• Becky says:

The show was all about her. It’s called the Good Wife. It’s terrific that the show had so many good characters, but it was about her.

11. Ella Jasper says:

Cary, Diane and Kalinda, maybe Lucca thrown in there too. Or better yet, just have Alicia move away from Chicago and use the rest of the cast.

12. Leejay says:

Two words: Cush. Jumbo. With a side of Marissa.

13. Kris says:

This is my very favorite show. I’m going to miss Eli the most. I would love to see Eli in a spinoff.

14. Gail says:

With only 9 episodes left is Alicia’s end story to divorce Peter and be with Jeffrey Dean Morgan?
    Personally I don’t think Alicia’s end story should revolve around being with a man. I do think she should finally divorce Peter as she now has no reason to be with him. Neither he nor she is going to run for a new office. They no longer love each other. The kids will be in college. She again needs a new start.

• aph1976 says:

I think the series should end with Alicia on her own with no man and her kids off at college.Plus she could decide to leave Chicago because she gets an offer from a law firm elsewhere.As for a spin off of The Good Wife i could see it working because a lot of things may not be wrapped up with some of the characters.

15. Jared Munson says:

I think a spinoff with Louis Canning would be great to see. That way they can still bring Christine and Cary in as recurring roles – I don’t know if they want to continue full time (maybe they do). Seven years is a long time.

16. Brittany says:

An Eli spinoff would absolutely be amazing!

17. robandco says:

The question is will they lean towards a political spinoff with Eli (and OF COURSE Marissa), with maybe a one campaign per season approach, a pure law spinoff, with Diane or Cary?
    Either way I’d watch it for obvious reasons.

• Emily says:

Maybe split the difference? Two 13 episode season shows: one a political drama with Eli and Marissa and one a legal one with Diane and Cary. They could share a time slot.

• Jane Anderson says:

I will take any spin-off any way I can get it. This show is too good, the cast is too great not to continue.

• Mike M says:

Split the difference a DIFFERENT way. In short, every politician has a legal team. As a “for example” there are rather a lot of lawyers running around 1600 Penn every day. So some event would have to happen, and it couldn’t really revolve around Peter as he’s just “done” that, but if Eli got the chance to run some big campaign, or more likely run some already elected office, he could suddenly find a need to hire several lawyers to work with him for the elected person. I’m not nec meaning the White House, but that could be pretty interesting – think a show along the lines of The Good Wife meets The West Wing.

• robandco says:

GREAT idea!! And they could have one episode or more with everyone together to keep things linked.

18. Shellie Cook says:

I would love to see Jason and Kalinda working together as investigators

19. abz says:

I would love a spin-off revolving around Diane’s new life as a judge.
    Or even a spinoff around Diane and Cary.
    Or Marissa Gold since they mentioned how they’d consider doing it around a character they haven’t spent much time with.
    I’ll take anything really.
    I know they said they always envisioned this as a seven season story but this ending feels so rushed. There’s still so much to do. Can Alicia’s story really be resolved in a satisfactory way in nine episodes. What about Cary’s future? Or Diane? And no updates on the state of her marriage to Kurt either.
    And what about Alicia finding out about Peter’s involvement in sabotaging her campaign?
    And omg I need to see Owen and Veronica one more time please. And Elsbeth/Carrie Preston.
    And I always hoped they could bring back Matthew Goode. Oh and Ana Gastayer’s “in your opinion” judge again lol
    Ugh I’m just not ready for this show to end :'(

• hi, i’ve liked the show since it’s beginning…i think you have many character’s whose story has not been used fully. christine is an amazing actor. so is cary, the new man who played the investigator. really that show has an amazing cast. i missed juliana when she left ER too, but many really good actors helped bring ER out to a new & different level. so CBS, i don’t believe you don’t have the resources to rebuild the show. don’t close the Barn door yet!

20. Spin off a show centered around Elzabeth!!!!

21. Gerri says:

Carey and Lucca maybe?
    Judge Diane?

• :-) says:

Cary and Luca in a law firm. Spend the first year with Diane running for a judgeship with Eli as her campaign manager. Marisa should work for Cary and Luca. Maybe spin Diane into her own show as a judge later. Take the time to let us see the process unfold in true Eli Gold style as we Cary and Luca do the case of the week thing. Please please please add Elizabeth in even if only occasionally. I’d also like more of whatever government agency was eavesdropping on them.

22. ludi66 says:

Brilliant idea. I love the 2 characters (Matt and Christine) and Eli and his daughter are adorable! Yes please give us a spinoff!!!

23. Paul K. says:

Love this idea! I hope it comes to fruition. Who is to say that Alicia couldn’t stop by for a sweeps cameo too?

24. I want to see all the characters in a Spinoff. You can leave out Alicia’s hubby though. Please do it.

25. Kristen says:

I would love to see Diane, Cary, and the rest of the firm! I really miss them. Plus add Lucca. Also keep Eli & his daughter Marissa!!

26. rick says:

Good Wife has always had an amazing cast. Would love love love to see a spin-off with as many cast members as you an get. I would love to see it happen.

27. Jared says:

They should spin off either Eli and his daughter who are comic gold or beef up Luca’s storyline within Lockhart/Agos and keep Diane and Cary obviously. Not a huge fan of spinoffs in general but the cast is so strong and could definitely carry the show forward. I actually kind of LOVE Luca lol. Wish we had more time with that character.

28. Monique says:

Som many great characters and not enough of them in the Good Wife. A spin off would be fantastic! Could still be great without Alicia.

29. glenna says:

no one i would like to follow. Kalinda was the best …would not watch it.

30. they did it when the Practice became Boston Legal

31. Arlene says:

I would watch for sure, especially if the Kings were still involved. And Cosh, too. She’s only just shown up, is about to take the stage in Central Park this summer in an all-female cast of The Taming of the Shrew, with the great Janet McTeer. Eli and his daughter, too, please.

32. Rob says:

Two ideas:
    An Eli-centric spinoff wherein he moves with his daughter to DC to join his ex-wife’s (Parker Posey) political consulting firm. Call it “Gold Standard”

A Carrie Preston/Kyle MacLachlan romantic comedy (could be an hour or even a single-cam sitcom).

33. Eran says:

Nope. No thanks. Let these two wonderful actors move on to new, quality projects and create new characters for us to fall in love with.

34. Let the Spin-off begin ~ Please!! says:

PLEASE, Please, please ~ I would love to see a spin-off focusing on the legal system without the political aspirations. I think it is a fabulous idea. I think Christina B and Matt C could easily carry the show. At the end of my wishlist would be that they find a way to write in Alan C and his daughter. Please!!

• Andrea says:

Now see, I’d want some of the political aspirations because a) I get my West Wingish fix and b) Eli is a political operative. But I’d agree that it could be more of a 50/50 law politics split.

• Mike M says:

Just posted on this same theme up a bit – totally with you on the West Wing(y) aspect – if it went I don’t think those advocating straight law etc would realize just how much they actually did miss it until it was not there. So my thinking is – put the lawyers IN Eli’s political office. Not a campaign – an existing office (not Peter’s) where he is “chief of staff”.

35. Mary Bucklew says:

As long as it does NOT include Juliana Marguilies, I’m interested.

36. JosiahBartlet4President says:

I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand the Kings and The Good Wife writers are great. On the other hand, it’s rare that a spin-off is successful.

• Andrea says:

I think this is a different situation, though. The Good Wife has an ensemble and a huge number of guest/recurring characters who have significant chops in their own rights. TGW’s acclaim does not only come from JM. This is one of the most extensive universes that I have encountered in my life of TV viewing. I don’t say this to be unkind, but JM is not needed for a story to continue. Alicia’s story is not the only one that can be told. It just happens to be the only one that has been told. Especially since Will is now dead, it could be interesting to explore the Cary/Diane relationship. I loved the Diane/Will “marriage without the sex,” and their story was never fully told. Totally wasted opportunity, but now Diane is building again. She and Cary aren’t equals like she and Will were, so how is building a firm with someone that you hired and mentored (Cary) different from what she built with Will? And, like others have said, Eli, Marissa, and Luca are awesome. A spin-off might also ensure that Bradley Whittford might guest and do a political scene with Eli. My West Wing loving heart would squee with glee.

I will be so bummed if this spin-off talk is just a tease.

• rgeorgenyp says:

OTOH, Lou Grant went on for several years after the Mary Tyler Moore Show. Frasier went for a decade after spinning off Cheers.

37. I wish there would be a spin-off bringing Cary and Diane back as lawyers.

38. Annie says:

I would love a Diane-centric spinoff. Love love love

39. A Jessica Jones-style Kalinda spin-off, showing the shady underbelly and Kalinda’s wealth of connections. Get Cary back in there too.

40. Ru says:

Something life Better Call Saul but with Eli! <33

41. SG says:

Spinoff with Lucca Quinn!

42. Bette says:

JM is not speaking to CB (Diane) they no longer do scenes together. JM has ruined the show

43. Jean says:

I like the idea of “The Gold Standard” with Eli and his daughter. And Christine and Cary and Luca. DO NOT WANT DAVID LEE AND LOUIS CANNING AND THE OTHER LAWYERS. I also like Elsbeth coming back.

44. Barbara Agnew Dick Agnew says:

So, it’s such a good show and that is why they’re cancelling it? I am fed up with good shows being tossed and nothing of substance replaces them, I hope there is a spinoff. However, this begs the question, why not just keep the proven show, The Good Wife?

• Jennifer says:

The show wasn’t cancelled. The original show runners are leaving and they want to wrap up Alicia’s story, which is what they have said this show has always been about. A spinoff without Alicia with new show runners who want to tell new stories is a great idea, in my opinion.

45. Sandalah Parrish says:

Alicia should put on her leather and ride into the sunset with Jason (on a Harley of course)!♡

46. Jennifer says:

As much as I enjoy Eli’s character, I dislike the political angle of this show. It’s always been the weakest part of the show, in my opinion. I would like to see a spinoff focus on the law firm and court cases. Definitely keep Christine, Cary, and Lucca, and add a few new lawyers. Keep the quirky rotating guest judges and opposing attorneys. Focus on the law.

47. smartysenior says:

Keep the outstanding ensemble cast together and just get another good wife. Lots of deadbeat husbands out there, just put together another backstory and keep everything else going pretty much the same. I never thought JM was that strong anyway, there are great actresses out there that could be the next wife, join the firm, etc.

48. Suzie says:

As long as Mr. J. D. Morgan was involved, Gary Cole and Eli, I’m there.

49. Diane says:

Actually most of the cast I would love to see in a spin off! They work so well together!