The Good Wife Series Finale

Good Wife Creators Preview Final Eps: No Kalinda or Will — But Other Fan Faves, an 'Inevitable, Surprising' End

Ghosts from The Good Wife‘s prior seasons will make their presence felt during the CBS drama’s final nine episodes — but not the two characters whose absences loom largest.

“No, that’s not our expectation,” said series co-creator Michelle King when asked if there’s any chance Archie Panjabi’s Kalinda — last seen at the end of Season 6 — could return. “Kalinda went off deliberately to disappear — and we’re honoring that choice. It wouldn’t make sense for [Kalinda] to come back.”

Similarly, while the deceased Will Gardner has weighed heavily on the Season 7 narrative, don’t expect to see his portrayer Josh Charles back on screen between now and the finale, either. “Alas, Will Gardner’s dead — which is sort of problematic,” said Michelle King, on the subject of whether Charles might show up before the series finale airs Sunday, May 8 at 9/8c.

One other thing Good Wife fans shouldn’t anticipate is a time jump to help wrap up the action. “We’re not gonna do that,” co-creator Robert King said definitively during a conference call with reporters on Monday. “The show was always built on the continuity of the moment.”

Instead, the Kings said they are hoping to explore the fate of Alicia’s personal life (“Where do Alicia and Peter end up?”) and her professional prospects (“How is it going to work with Alicia going back to Lockhart-Agos-Lee?”).

Alicia’s emotional breakdown in the show’s Jan. 31 episode is an “eruption” that will alter the course of her arc because she now has a genuine friend in law partner Lucca Quinn and has realized that “Will is a ghost she needs to put away,” said Robert King.

The Kings said they are, however, reaching out to a number of actors — some of whose characters haven’t been seen for several seasons — to make one last appearance; these include Jess Weixler, who plays investigator Robyn. “We want to see where some of these characters ended up and landed,” Robert King explained.

Can we expect a happy ending? “I like when the ending is surprising and inevitable at the same time,” added Michelle King.

“I like [finales] that end with some resonance — Breaking Bad, Six Feet Under,” added Robert King, “finales that are happy and sad at the same time.”

How would you like to see The Good Wife end? Are you happy CBS isn’t continuing for a Season 8 without the Kings? Sound off below!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. matty says:

I hope this means we’ll see Martha Plimpton again, or Carrie Preston as well!

2. Stacy says:

Carrie Preston’s Elsbeth is at the top of the list. Yes, Jess Weixler. Mamie Gummer. America Ferrera. Final scenes with Peter’s mother. So many great guest stars.

3. Stacy says:

Haven’t fully kept up on the show for well over a year, but I will watch the finale, and maybe some of the other finale episodes. I’m excited for them to tie up some loose ends and have Alicia make some big decisions.

4. JosiahBartlet4President says:

She’ll finally divorce Peter when she learns of the election rigging. She’ll realize she doesn’t need him politically anymore.

• swanjun says:

I just hope she divorces him for any ol’ reason. Not necessarily for political things. She’s done her duty. His political trajectory has peaked, she can now be free and live her own life and never again have to pretend to be a person that she isn’t. That would be the happiest ending I could think of.

• JosiahBartlet4President says:

What’s brilliant about the show is that they have amazing chemistry, so even though Peter is scum, it makes it harder, though not impossible, to root for divorce.

• I just did not feel the chemistry between Peter and Alicia. I hope they do not get back together. I so miss Will…now there was chemistry!!

• Glenda says:

I hope that Alicia ends up with her investigator…. I want her to be happy and in love. She’s been thru so much. It would be so perfect for the show to end with the “great wife” finding love and being happy. By the way…. I’m so so sad that the show is ending… This is my favorite show by far.

5. Sam says:

i got a feeling that mike colter will return.

6. Robb says:

Julianna steps out of the shower to find George Clooney standing in their bathroom…

7. Jared Munson says:

They could find some “home movies” or something that Will was in to bring him back if they really wanted to

8. Beth says:

I hope she finally kicks Peter to the curb and settles into a life with Jason. I also hope that she finally tells Jackie what a POS her son is and that she’s no better.

9. Carol Gallo says:

I’m really going to miss this show and I’m taking heart that they are considering going ahead at some point with the series. Julianna has come such a long way from the “ER” days. She is beautiful and talented. I loved watching her each week.

• pete says:

Sorry to see it end after this season. Peter will die from a heart attach, leaving Alicia’s decision very easy. She will go all out with Jason. She will not go back to the firm.

10. Lorna Downes says:

Disappointing! Looked forward to the show each week. Very few shows that interest me left on TV!! Hope that any new content will be just as great as “The Good Wife”!!

11. Pat says:

Really hate to see this go. After Will left the program off but I feel it has new legs this year,

12. Scott21 says:

It’s a shame they cant invite Archie Panjabi back, because of Julianna Margulies’ ego. I think in the early seasons Kalinda’s character was an integral part of the show’s succes

13. Deion says:

Dylan Baker’s Colin Sweeney. All I need.

14. Roger says:

Very sad to hear that the show is coming to a end. enjoyed it very much

15. Kay says:

So I guess this means the Blind Item from last month is likely not about The Good Wife?

16. Alma T says:

I will truly miss this show. The writing and cast are superb. It’s really a shame it has to end. I do miss Kalinda and Will but I understand why they won’t be returning for the final episodes. I do hope the final episode will not disappoint.

17. Edie Gise says:

Love this show and never miss an episode. The cast is superior. I can’t believe that it’s ending. Is it possible to rethink its demise?

18. karen816 says:

When the show began she was humiliated and begging for work having been a stay at home parent for many years. Many of the bad things that happened to her were a result of Peter’s dishonesty and sleazy behavior. I want to see her divorced and standing on her own two feet. If this show ends up to be all about which man she ends up with it will have been a waste!

• Andi says:

How right you are. I was surprised that she put up with Peter’s demands at all. Surely she doesn’t need a man to complete her. She’s had enough season to stand on her own.

19. Peter has a fatal heart attack and Alicia steps in as governor.

20. Jakay says:

I just hope she finds out about the money David Lee stole. That loose end hasn’t been tied up yet, has it?

21. Rosie Giron -Maron says:

Will should have never been killed, actually I cried for days. Alicia should have been with Will. Once Will was out of the show, I honestly believe “The Good Wife” went downhill. Of course, that’s my opinion only. Alicia is a great actress, as well as the others in the cast. I will miss the show either way. I purchased all the episodes. Thank you.

22. Michael says:

Great story because the first two questions on my mind were ‘will we see Kalinda?’ and ‘is there anyway we’d see Will again?

It’s too bad neither will happen.

23. Jeri says:

Alicia/Julianne has pretty much over played her part and the only surprise would be if she dies somehow. I’m not trying to be morbid, anything else is par for the course. Rich, happy Alicia going on with her rich successful life leaving ruin and heartbreak in her wake. I hope Zach and Grace can overcome and be happy. I guess this does sound pretty morbid. Sorry.

24. MGL says:

Will’s death could have been a plan by some governmental agency to get Peter, and Will is actually in witness protection someplace. He could show up to be with Alicia at the end. We can dream! The show basically died when he died.

25. abz says:

Characters I really want to see one more time:
    -Elsbeth Tascioni (Carrie Preston)
    -Owen (Dallas Roberts)
    -Veronica (Stochard Channing)
    -Finn (Matthew Goode)
    -Patti Nyholm (Martha Plimpton)
    -The “in your opinion” judge (Ana Gastayer)
    -Colin Sweeney (Dylan Baker)
    -would be interesting to see a Glenn Child’s appearance and see what happened to him

• Mike M says:

I didn’t think anyone would beat me to my “add” but you did. That is a truly fine list. … in my opinion ;-)

• Chase says:

I completely forgot about the “In your opinion” judge! Oh she was so awful, I would love to see her back! And yes, this is an excellent list. Patti definitely tops my list, that’s for sure

26. Billy Bob Johnson says:

Margulies would never allow Panjabi to return.

27. bridyyc says:

Robyn! YES!!!

I’ll call it now. New show for 2016/2017 season. Lockhart! A seasoned lawyer, turned judge, rules over her courtroom each week, while balancing a personal life of politics, romance, and drama.

28. laffers18 says:

I’d give my left arm…and right arm too, to get Matthew Goode back for one episode. My adoration for that man knows no bounds and dammit, I miss Finn. (Although JDM has been a very fine distraction).

Dowton Abbey is (finally) done now, right? Surely he can pop back to the old US for a wee holiday? 😉

29. Mary says:

have Finn come back and profess his love for her. they had such great chemistry. I can’t stand the love interest this season. no chemistry and she and Finn could have had a future together .

30. Mary says:

Finn Finn Finn

31. Kate says:

I am devastated … After all – I keep telling my husband the show was named for all the good girls out there ! It’s been one heck of a roller coaster that the King’s created , but it might have behooved CBS and the main actors / stars to at the very least entertain the idea that a change at the helm is not always a bad thing. Thanks to all those behind the scenes as well as the cast for the best show I have watched with complete loyalty since my teenage soap opera days ! Juliana better win an Emmy this Fall …

32. Elaine says:

Her and Peter together

33. Pat Wagner says:

I am heartbroken that “The Good Wife”. is ending. I have never enjoyed so much a show as this. Good acting, No! great acting. The storylines kept me going sunday after sunday waiting for another cliff hanger. Its very sad that a #1 show for eight seasons is ending. What is the real reason for such a successful show is ending? Confused and disappointed.

34. Bill says:

Hoping to see Gary Cole back again, maybe just a shot of Diane and Kurt snuggled up on the couch at home or something. :-)

35. toby grossman says:

You never should have killed off Will Charles. I would have liked to see Alicia and Will end up together. There was never any chemistry between her and her husband. Maybe Will has a twin or brother who looks just like him that Alicia ends up with. In short I want her to live happily ever after….

36. Cliff Voss says:

I am devastated that my favorite Sunday show is ending. I feel like friends are leaving. But I do like some of the possible spin offs. Please don’t lose all our faves on Sunday!

37. Sue says:

I think the heads of CBS are idiots!!! I just don’t understand how these heads of networks even keep their jobs! YOU NEVER LET A GREAT SHOW GO!!!! You DONT drop them when their ratings drop to 15!!! How many millions are still watching?? WHAT OTHER SHOWS ARE ON SUNDAY NIGHT WORTH WATCHING???? NONE!!!! PLEASE KEEP GOOD WIFE!!! ITS NOT TOO LATE!!!!!

38. Juanita says:

Smart television should not portray a president as a a democrat or a republican. You lost me when you mentioned the current “president” in one episode. “Madam Secretary” did the same thing. Even though CBS is a democratic station, “political gender” should be neutral in programming.

39. Miriam says:

Am so sad to see the show end. It was one of our favorite tv show our whole family would gather and watch. The characters played awesome roles. Martha was fantastic, sneaky and played role so well. Gonna miss it. Bought first to seasons guess need the rest

40. Metamar says:

I would like to see Alicia finally divorce Peter, walk out on the firm, and live happily ever after with the hunky investigstor

41. No I would watch Good Wife for another 5 years but I would like to see it get back to the courtroom more. With maybe some new partners at LG for her to battle with. And a couple of different men in her life with Cush Jumbo working with her and Peter gone for good. I love this story all the time but more when she is in the courtroom with a great investigator. JDM could stay forever too. This show has gone off the rails for 1/2 of one season I think but other than that it has been fabulous. I am going to miss it alot

42. David Ko says:

The only way to end this show is to return to the beginning. Peter needs to go to jail but this time, Alicia says she no longer will be the “Good Wife” and she says goodbye.

43. Jeanne says:

If Alicia gets back with Peter I will throw my coffee table through my tv…can’t stand his character and she has much more chemistry with the investigator. But I agree George Clooney would be the best surprise!!!!
    Would love to see her mother (Stokkard Channing) again…the two mothers always played well off each other…always funny.

44. Larry s says:

Inevitable that Peter is indicted and instead of Alicia standing by her man as she did in the beginning she is nowhere to be found.

45. Mia says:

Would love to see Finn (Marthew Goode) back as Finn. I had high hopes for him and Alicia. Any chance he could come back? Loved his character!

46. Jayne says:

Hope it is not a “happy ending”… That would be dull.

47. Peggy says:

I wish it would stay. I like everyone on the show.if I was to pick an ending I would like there maybe a wedding with one of the children and a divorce for Alicia.. Let’s have a happy ending.

48. Claire Lawton says:

I would like to see more of her doesn’t make sense that she doesn’t have a real relationship with him. Also, I would like to see her out of a suit…humor is and go somewhere other than her apartment. Also, put Diane’s husband in an episode and let’s see how those 2 are doing..he’s a hoot.

49. John says:

How about a dream sequence with Will Gardner ?

50. Pam Faletti says:

How about finding out that Peter was involved in Will’s death.