Walking Dead Season 6

The Walking Dead: 5 Things You Need to Know About the Midseason Premiere

Already this season, the survivors of The Walking Dead have endured a walker-dispersal debacle, a blitzkrieg by the Wolves, the fall of Alexandria, Glenn’s “death,” Deanna’s death and enough teen angst to make them feel like they were enrolled at West Beverly High. (Whew.)

But if you think their theme song for Season 6’s second half is gonna be “Things Can Only Get Better,” you’ve got another thing coming. Here’s why you should dread the series’ return (Feb. 14, 9/8c, AMC) as much as look forward to it…

Oh, and need we really warn you? Spoilers ahead, and lots of ’em!

5. Not only will Salem casualty Xander Berkeley be turning up as Gregory, the self-serving leader of the Hilltop Colony, but Jeffrey Dean Morgan will make his much-anticipated debut as the Saviors’ lethal leader, Negan, “one of the great pop-culture characters of the last 20 years,” in the estimation of showrunner Scott M. Gimple. But, as he told Michael Ausiello, “There is a long road to [meeting him]. I don’t want people to expect to see him tomorrow.” To temper all that evil, at least a little, Luck alum Tom Payne will also be joining the cast as good guy “Jesus.” In Robert Kirkman’s comic books, the erstwhile Paul Monroe becomes a tremendous ally to Rick & Co.

Walking Dead Season 6 4. Glenn is almost certainly toast. In the comics, Negan infamously murders him with a barbed-wire-covered baseball bat named Lucille. And, although the series’ plots don’t always mirror the comics’, Kirkman has admitted that “it’d be disingenuous of me to say, from a viewer’s point of view, that I wouldn’t be afraid [for Glenn]. But what am I holding out hope for?” Maybe a reprieve by way of one of the “hard left turns from the comic story” with which he teased EW.com?

3. Whether or not she’s soon to be widowed, Maggie will step up rather than break down. Kirkman has hinted that, in the wake of Deanna’s demise, the congresswoman’s aide “might be changed in [more of a leadership] direction.” And, in the comics, she becomes such a force to be reckoned with that she usurps Gregory’s power at the Hilltop Colony.

2. Against all odds, Carol and Morgan’s disagreement over the Wolf whose life he secretly spared may not result in either of their deaths. As Kirkman has noted, before their confrontation, Morgan was beginning to have doubts about his stance, and when “Carol could’ve pulled the trigger… she didn’t.” Great. So now maybe they can work together to rescue poor, kidnapped Denise…

1. Sam’s big mouth is gonna get someone killed. You’ll recall that, in the winter finale, as he, Rick, Michonne, Carl, Gabriel, Jessie and Ron were sneaking through a sea of walkers while covered in zombie guts, the little boy panicked and called out for his mom. “Yes,” Andrew Lincoln confirmed to EW.com, “there will be blood.” How much? If the series” version of “No Way Out” goes down anything like the comics’ version — the episode shares its title with the 14th volume of the comics — Jessie and (thank God!) Ron are history.

Do you think the show will really let Negan kill Glenn? Who are you hoping survives — and doesn’t survive — the midseason premiere? Hit the comments!

1. wrstlgirl says:

I can’t even think about what’s coming, it gives me horrible anxiety, LOL!!! Excited for the return but gahhhhhhh!!!!!!

2. dave2442 says:

My Negan prediction is that they will mix it up…and have him kill Daryl instead

3. Dizzle says:

Part of me’s hoping that big fake out with Glenn’s previous “death” was setting us up for a greater tragedy, for him to return just to be killed by Negan…. But in reality I think it’s showed their hand a little, and I reckon there’ll be some bizarre twist that saves Glenn while killing off “third villager from right”. The graphic novel is not bound by the same oversight like a TV show is, especially one that now is basically AMC’s saving grace… Whatever the producers wanna do re: killing Glenn, I can’t see the network letting that happen

• AMCs saving grace? How do you figure? AMC has aired nothing but 10/10 superb television for the past 6 years. Breaking Bad, Hell on Wheels, Walking Dead, Better Call Saul, Mad Men, come on buddy.

• Phoenix5634 says:

You could almost tell when Glenn and that showrunner did the interview on Talking Dead after Glenn was revealed to have survived the dumpster scene. They were being very careful with their words, for what I’m guessing is a later twist this season.

4. Osh Tash B'Gosh says:

Good shows allow characters to pass on so the story can evolve. I think Glenn is toast.

5. Kate says:

As to your No. 1 slot, I have doubts about Gabriel’s survival too, basically because timing wise, he was back in LA while I believe they were still filming the end of the season because, in a much more beloved role, Deaton returned to Beacon Hills last week on Teen Wolf.

6. fan says:

Gabriel would NOT be missed.

7. A fan of TV says:

I feel like, after the Glenn Death tease from the first half, the writers need to take a breath of that one. Someone else is likely to take Glenn’s comic death, and if Glenn is almost certainly toast, I think it has to be in s7 or 8 and not now, because if its now people will just continue to whine about the point/controversy over his survival odds, of the tease…basically, they need to leave Glenn alone for now, the odds of his death has already taken up way more discussion than is necessary this year. Let him meet his kid and then legitimately off him seemingly out of nowhere in a year or two.

8. Anon says:

I hate to be this guy, but I hope Negan kills Morgan. He’s gone by this point in the comics, and he hasn’t been around for much of the series, so it wouldn’t feel different without him.

• wrstlgirl says:

The three that I’ve seen tossed around the most in social media have been Daryl, Abraham and Morgan :-)

• Brainlock says:

You left out Gabriel. ;)

set pics teased before the season showed Paul/Jesus with Glenn, Abraham, and I think Sasha? Could be P/J saves the trio from Negan’s gang, then they take him back to Alexandria to rescue their friends?

Mike’s gone back to natural blond as of New Years, but they haven’t been filming TWD in months.

• wrstlgirl says:

You’re right, lol, but he’s easily forgotten. I don’t think it will be Gabriel, no one would care and this death is all about Negan and it has to have an impact :-)

9. Pam osbourne says:

I truly believe the writer are sticking close to the comics this season. Even though I don’t want Glenn gone. As far as Daryl getting killed off. It’s highly unlikely. He’s got a huge fan base. Myself included. I really hope all the regulars make it out alive. Can’t wait for Valentine’s Day!

10. Ray says:

If Glenn doesn’t “meet” Lucielle, then that dumpster narrow death escape is henky tv.

11. Eric Sanchez says:

ABOUT GLENN – I’m still not sure he will be killed.

I think they are going to change things up and have Negan pass by Glenn and beat some other main character to death. I’m hoping for the Reverend. :)

12. Max Whelan says:

The #1 person on my list 4 who negan is going to kill 1st would have to be michonne because she is the least predicted star character 4 who negan will kill 1st

13. Michelle says:

Hoping its Daryl who meets Lucille. I think if it’s Glenn, it would be a bit of an overkill since the show is different from the comics.

14. Spence says:

I’m going to sound like a broken record for anyone who’s seen my comments on TVLine, but I’m still betting Maggie will die at the hands of Negan. The Glenn/Maggie relationship is doomed, but Glenn’s fake-out death has kind of saved him for now, and I doubt they will have another pregnancy on the show like Lori’s, meaning Maggie isn’t so safe… I’m suspicious of Daryl as well, though.

15. Shanara says:

I think everybody should live .

16. Tess says:

Well I hope it’s Morgan by the time Negan makes his appearance. Make him appealing after this big disaster then bye bye when Negan makes his Big appearance!!! That’s my story and I’m sticky to it till I’m not! Lol .it could be father Gaberiel too would not miss him. As far as Morgan he can play out his usefulness by the end of this season easily.

• I hope it’s not Glenn,,I would love to see him and Maggie welcome their baby..If Darryl is killed I just don’t think my heart could take it..I for some reason think it may be Abraham which I like his character and he says some funny phrases…If I were the one to choose whom will be killed I would choose Gabriel,,he’s been a Turd since day 1.

17. Melody says:

I’m calling it now. Abraham will be the one that dies. I think Glen will survive.

• wrstlgirl says:

He is my guess also.

• Phoenix5634 says:

I think Abraham might be in serious trouble right where he is now, but I’m not sure that he’ll be the one to meet Lucille tho.

• wrstlgirl says:

They all look to be in serious trouble right now. None of us know what’s going to happen, we’re all just guessing :-)

• Phoenix5634 says:

In the one preview the guy on the motorcycle says something like ” an usually I’d shoot one of you right now to make a point”… And Abrahams not going to let him shoot Sasha, so my guess is Abraham is about to get shot, or Daryl is about to be taken hostage. Neither of my theories I like lol.

18. 5 – Yay JDM playing an evil character 4 – Please don’t touch my Glenn. 3 – Can’t wait to see more of Maggie 2 Morgan is a moron, and has been a moron from the start 1 – If Sam gets someone killed I hope is himself. Can’t stand the little asshole
    0 – Can’t wait for Talking Dead too!

19. Givmehyourbagel says:

Whoever Negan gets is gonna be some type of a major character. It has to be so that’s eliminating Father gabe or Heath or anybody like that… Every villain that TWD has casted became such hated characters by killing off a good character that has importance.

Shane(if you considered him a villain): Otis (even though he wasn’t a major character he was basically thrusted into his “5seconds of fame” when he shot Carl), and I guess you can also blame him for Lori’s death depending on if you think he’s the dad or not

The governor: do I even need to go down this list? I will just mention the three most noticeable ones. Hershel, Merle, Andrea

The terminus dude…. (I’m having a brain fart and can’t remember his name right now): Bob

They were all beloved characters at the time and had some importance to the show. That’s why we hated them. Nicholas would’ve joined this list had Glenn actually died and this would be his second attempt trying end him but he didn’t. So he’s not. Lol.

Point I’m trying to make is it has to be someone of importance. A beloved character. And (my honest opinion) I doubt it would be a female character because that would be controversial and I can hear it now. Sexism this. Promoting abuse against women that. So no Gabe, and no girls. Which leads me to Morgan, Daryl, Glenn, Aaron, Eric, and Spencer. Oh and I can’t forget about Dwight who’s appearently supposed to be the new Daryl. All depends on how they progress the rest of the season. They could honestly go any which way.

• Killing people in Walking Dead does not make you a villain. You’ll notice the actual villains in TWD are villains because they are psychopaths, not because they kill people.

• Givmehyourbagel says:

I’m going to have to disagree on that one, my friend. Even though, you’re right in a sense, the show isn’t about killing people to get a reaction. It’s about these group of people coming together and doing whatever it takes to survive. But….. Do you think that people would’ve hated Shane if he hadn’t tried to kill Rick? What if he did go through and kill Rick or get him bit? It’d be his fault and people would dislike him more. Hence, the villainous effect. If The governor hadn’t killed and manipulated Andrea, or sent Merle to throw a hungry walker at a helpless Glenn, or even been the one kill Merle himself. We can on and on about what Philip or “Brian” did…. We wouldn’t have hated him as much. Now, if it had been someone not as important we wouldn’t care. I won’t care if Negan bashes in the skull of father gabe or Heath. We’ll say “oh poor dude” or “glad it wasn’t Daryl or anyone like that”. We won’t care or remember the scene. We won’t get to know just how crazy and gruesome Negan really is.

• Jenavie22 says:

Actually Dwight is the original Daryl from the comics. Daryl didn’t exist. And number 2 Negan is totally against harming women and children and does not allow rape from his own or he’ll kill them so it def won’t be a women. More than likely Abraham will be the target. If I was gonna inflitrate a group and make them scared I’m taking pit their biggest guy with the biggest mouth. Who’s their biggest guy with the biggest mouth? Definitely not Glenn who’s easily one of the smallest. That would be pointless. And if he wanted to really hurt them he’d take out their leader.

• Phoenix5634 says:

Doesn’t Negan keep like multiple wives for himself, against their will, by leveraging the resources, and invoking his alpha status? And if one of his “wives” gets intimate with the person they actually have feeling for, Negan melts the guys face in a public demonstration, or kills you with Lucille.

20. Anne says:

Erm.. perhaps this is wishful thinking, but doesn’t it make sense to depart from the comic book plot trajectories at least a bit at this point, as the popularity of the series has also popularised online ‘spoiling’ about what has already happened in the comic books? The producers run the risk of having nothing up their sleeves unless they make a bold statement that they are not following the line, but rather the spirit of the characters. It is wishful thinking, isn’t it.

21. kings says:

If glenn dies the walking dead with die…

22. Sherry says:

The only true safe character’s on the show is Rick, Daryl, Glenn, and Michonne,everyone else could be killed off at anytime. I love Maggie’s character, but her being pregnant is an underlying issue. How can she survive in a world of walkers being pregnant? This situation is totally different than Rick’s wife. If they don’t kill her off, then they will probably make her lose the baby .

23. Natalie says:

I’m already sick of Negan.

24. ihatefanboys says:

Glenn is safe. No way they make us think he’s dead, then be miraculously alive , only to have him really die. Would be lame. I think Negans bat is destined for someone else’s skull. Would be typical Walking Dead TV show vs the comics. Same location and death, but different person.

25. I don’t see Morgan dying without including his romance with Michonne, even if briefly, before he gets bitten.

26. darcy the slutty twin says:

The order in which I want to see the current characters die:
    1. Gabriel
    12. Maggie
    13. Glenn
    14. Carol
    15. Michonne
    16. Daryl

• ihatefanboys says:

Rick is never gonna die. It’s his story.

• TWD says:

Okay, that makes zero sense. Just because Andrew Lincoln is a main character in a TV show doesn’t mean Rick Grimes is a main character in his reality show about a walker-filled world. Just because he is the leader of the group doesn’t mean he’s any more immune to death than anyone else is. Everyone has the same amount of chance as dying whether or not there face has been shown on the television a lot or not as much.

• Angelika GREECE says:

i couldn’t agree more with u…except Rick,because i don’t like him at all..but he’s never gonna die

27. Phoenix5634 says:

Let’s have Morgan be the one who meets Lucille. Please not Glenn or Daryl!

28. missy says:

Not Glenn..I will stop watching…

29. Phoenix5634 says:

So excited for the Jesus character! He better be able to fight like he does in the source material!!

30. Phoenix5634 says:

I’m wondering how true to the source material they’re going to stick when Rick an everyone is leaving that house…

31. Angela love says:

If Daryl dies, how many women do you think will quit watching the show ?

32. Angelika GREECE says:

I want Father G to die… i don’t like him at all! Also i want Mischonne,Daryl and Carol to live because they’re my favorite characters. I hate Ron bcause he’s mean like his father Pit. I don’t like Rick and maybe i’m the only one to say this but i don’t like Carl,too. Abraham is brilliant and Aaron,too. I can’t wait to see what happens after Sam calls his mum at the end of the last episode. I’m very sad that most of the main characters have died.

33. Angelika GREECE says:

I LOVE DARYL :P

34. sierra says:

I want Glenn to stay alive if he is killed off I won’t watch it no more

35. Alicia says:

I hope not. Everybody loves Glenn’s character. There’s enough twists or twists they can create to let him live. Why kill him off? What’s the point? Why follow the comic exactly? We got the scare that Glenn was dead. Now it’s just goofy to then kill him. Making his real death really gruesome is just wrong.

36. N says:

My gut says that just when it looks like Negan is about to off Glenn, Daryl will intervene forcing Negan to kill him instead and sending Norman Reedus off to his new motorcycle series on AMC. Daryl starting to show more compassion, such as going back with the girls insulin, and hes lost his crossbow and bike. Plus Daryl dying at the hands of Negan would have the same resonance wouldn’t be as cruel as killing off Glenn. Perhaps Daryl has always been the creative teams solution to the Negan/ Glenn situation.

37. carol says:

Anyone but daryl can leave the series

38. Kathie says:

It’s getting to the point that you have to not care anymore about the show or anyone on it! What’s the point, they are just going to die. The show runners are all about the ‘no one is safe’ BS! Not realizing that after awhile, you run out of favorites, it becomes easier to stop watching rather then invest yourself in a character only to watch it die. For myself and many others I know of they have started losing viewers, there is no one to have hope for anymore, it’s come down to simply who bites it next, the how of it anymore no longer matters. So kill everyone and call it done

39. Gbob Marley says:

It won’t be Glen or Daryl. They spent too much time teasing us fans about a possible Glen’s demise, only to have him survive. With all the fan back lash, why try it again? It won’t be Daryl, he is even more of a fan favorite and Walking Dead could possibly lose a lot of viewers killing him off. I think it will be Abraham. He is a fan favorite, but not as much as Glen and Daryl.Rick, Carl, Glen and Daryl are safe. For now.

40. Christofer85 says:

I just want Glenn and Maggie to get back together and have their baby.

41. Edna says:

I hope they kill one of the people from alexanderia