Shades of Blue - Season 1

Shades of Blue Renewed for Season 2

Well, J.Lo and behold — Shades of Blue just landed itself a renewal.

NBC has picked up Jennifer Lopez’s rookie copy drama for a second season.

“We want to thank Jennifer, who is the hardest working woman we know, for her incredible efforts as both the star and producer of this show, as well as well as our other amazing producers and cast for all their tireless work in creating one of the most compelling dramas on television today,” said NBC’s entertainment president Jennifer Salke in a statement. “We’re so excited to find out where this story will lead and have them raise the stakes even higher in what we know will be a fantastic second season.”

Shades of Blue‘s most recent episode drew 5.6 million viewers and a 1.1 rating, down sharply from its strong premiere numbers last month (8.6 million/1.8). NBC notes, however, that the series has improved on the 10 o’clock hour’s pre-Shades, non-sports, non-specials average by 38 percent.

1. Brian says:

I knew it would get renewed. Ratings might have dropped, but it still is an improvement over what was there before, plus J-Lo is such a buzzy actress.

2. Annie says:

Oh that’s wonderful!! It really is an *excellent* show – which, I didn’t really doubt it would be. JLo wouldn’t come to tv for any ol’ thing.

3. Mak says:

Well I can start tuning in… I though it would not see a 2nd season so I had not bothered watching it..

4. Sally McLinn says:

I’m hooked. It’s getting interesting for sure.

5. steven says:

I guess that ratings don’t cost a thing.

6. David says:

So ratings for this are worse then Mysteries of Laura but Laura will get cancelled. Doesn’t make any sense.

• Buzz Raphty says:

…Maybe because you’re assuming things?

• Mak says:

Who said TMOL is getting cancelled…plus like the article states “NBC notes, however, that the series has improved on the 10 o’clock hour’s pre-Shades, non-sports, non-specials average by 38 percent.”

• donholley77 says:

I don’t know where you get your info, but according to this site, Mysteries of Laura is a “sure thing to get renewed! Like with Shades, Ratings don’t tell the whole story of why a show gets renewed/canceled!

• Mike M says:

Traditional ratings (still pumped out everywhere weekly) via Neilsen are now in fact close to meaningless to the networks; they are so out of whack with multiple platform reality.

7. brownies says:

Why???

8. Mike Mickelson says:

I love you J.Lo

9. Carmen L Mercado says:

Awesome

10. B. Johnson says:

I stopped watching it because of the gay stuff! Why does TV have to have homosexuality in almost every show now? I really enjoyed it until they did that.

• John Davis says:

It’s a good show, but you’ve stopped watching because there’s one gay character?

What a homophobic piece of s*it.

• Annie says:

Why does every show have so many straight people. God! They’re everywhere!!

• Lizz says:

I stopped watching after the first episode. JLo is an awful actress.

• Steve Shaw says:

B. Johnson, there are only a handful of programs with any homosexual story line. It is a shame, because homosexuals are all around you each day … improving your life…. and all you can relate it too is something negative. Never mind that Liotta plays a “dirty cop”; that didn’t bother you. The idea his character is “Bi” does. It says more about “dirty YOU” than it does about the bi character. could tell you to talk to your paster/church; but that’s too loaded with sexual predators. Stick to the Hallmark channel. you will find solace.

11. Andrew says:

Is it just me, or does the statement from NBC sound like a, “Yeah, thank you for coming, but we’ll give you a second season to wrap up the show,” kind of vibe?

12. ninamags says:

So what’s up with the Liotta character?? Is he bi?

13. Ric says:

Really glad to see this.Ray Liotta is an excellent actor.

14. Grandma says:

Last night’s episode gets an R rating from this grandma. I did not need to see the man’s penis to know what he was going to do. Please, this is not necessary. We all have DVR’s and can back it up. It was shown. 😡

15. Lizz says:

The ratings may have slipped but, come on, did you really think NBC would cancel JLO?

JLo is the weakest link in the series.

16. GuessWhat says:

I fear they’re going to drag out this ONE storyline for years….uggh.

17. donholley77 says:

The most pleasant surprise of the season! JLo can be “Jennie on the block”!

18. Rosemary Zappia says:

Excellant. Serious and you find your self laughing or smiling. Ray Liotta is fantastic.

19. kirads09 says:

I am very happy. Better show than most are giving credit. The story is interesting and Liotta alone is worth watching it for. YAY!!! I frankly am wondering how much of the hate towards it is coming due to agism. The leads aren’t the 18-29 year olds like CW shows and it isn’t all about the “ships”.

• donholley77 says:

I think of it has to do with people’s dislike of J-Lo! She’s an easy target! I too, had my doubt’s that she could pull this off! But I gave ‘Shades a shot & here we are!

20. MMD says:

I have dvr’d all the episodes but just can’t seem to bring myself to watch even though I am a fan of Ray Liotta. I guess maybe because I figured it would get cancelled. Maybe this will give me the impetus to finally watch it.

21. Jay boy says:

not a show that deserves prime times scheduling .Itd downplays thhe fact most poi?ice are commuted to serving the public and are honest

22. Blue Note says:

Excellent show, with some ground breaking scenes and storylines.

23. Cindy says:

Good show. Happy it’s renewed

24. Kelly says:

I’m loving this show and happy that it is renewed for season two. I’m a big fan of Jennifer.

25. Grey says:

Season two must have been guaranteed in Lopez’s contract.

26. beth says:

I think this show is boring. Its not any different than any other cop show out there. Its only popular cause Jennifer Lopez is in it and she isnt that good in it. Watched the first episode and part of the second, boring!

27. Earnestine Wyatt says:

Love the show and the cast! J Lo is a great actress, please bring it back for next season…..Can’t wait!

28. TIgerLIL says:

This is a nerve racking show keeps your stomach in knots the entire hour….happy about it being renewed, just need some serious marketing but the story line is a crazy as it comes…lol

29. Carma says:

Awesome news!! Love Jennifer and Ray and Warren Kole! I hope something sexy and exciting happens between Harley and Agent Stahl! He is very sexy and they have GREAT chemistry! I think he genuinely cares for her, even though he is fixated on her – hee hee!

30. jennifer U says:

I was so excited to hear shades of blue was picked up for 2 season. I wasn’t sure I would like it when it started, but I’m so hooked!!

31. Kristine says:

I love this show! Also love Jennifer and Ray in it. Wish people would stop being haters on Rays character e in the show. So who cares if he’s Bi?! Geez… I’m hooked on the show!! Excited for more!😃

32. Diane says:

One of my new favorite shows! It’s riveting! I can’t wait to see what happens next week.

33. Julia says:

Fantastic series! J-Lo is such a great performer in all she does! Hope this series goes for many seasons.

34. Gail Belyea says:

I am so happy to see you have renewed this show for next year, the other channels repeatedly cancel shows way too early. I get into a show and before I know it its done, Thank you for giving this show a chance and for others to have a chance at it.

35. I’m so glad it’s coming back. I love the show and all the actors. Especially Ray Liotta and Jennifer Lopez. Great action show. So much better than all the reality stuff on today.. It’s fun to see two great actors doing their thing. Thank you for bringing it back.

36. The commercial earlier today said, “Last two episodes” and not last two episodes of this season. What is up with that?

37. Susan A. Smith says:

So very glad this compelling drama is being renewed. I find Jennifer Lopez a wonderful multi-talented woman and salute all of her highly successful endeavors ranging from actress, dancer, singer, director, producer. I guess if I could meet one famous person in my life, it would definitely be her. Go Jennifer! Susan A. Smith, Boise, Idaho

38. rfootball2 says:

Love this show! I’m so glad it’s coming back. JLo is the draw but what hooked me is the dark and edgy story line! I love that this isn’t your usual goodie goodie cop show. Can’t wait to see what happens next!

39. Polly says:

I’m so happy it’s been renewed. Great show and acting by all! I’m a fan!!!

40. Cheryl Ladd says:

Love this show and I’m elated to have another season.

41. Monty Jones says:

Great show, plot got better and although I love J-Lo, she is wonderful period, I think Ray Liotta really makes the show

42. Steph A says:

I’m a Jennifer Lopez fan but not so much of this show. For me this will probably be the only season I watch.

43. Val says:

I really enjoy this show! Ray Liotta is excellent in his role. His weathered cold look sends shivers up your spine! Of course Lopez is super, as usual

44. Ricky P says:

Love the show so glad it’s coming back keeps you wanting more j lo is great

45. Debbie says:

This is the greatest show EVER!!! Jennifer Lopez is an AMAZING actress!!! I am soooo excited that there will be a Season 2!!! I cannot wait! When will season 2 start?

46. Claudio peca says:

The show is awesome , my wife and I can’t wait till Thursday when Shafes of Blue come on, we try to guess along with the show , I hope it comes back for another 5 seasons

47. Watched every episode and couldn’t get enough. This is one of the best television series I have ever watched. JLo delivers as always, the entire cast was outstanding and kept me in suspense the entire season. I can’t wait till season 2! NBC thankyou for bringing us Shades of Blue Season 2.

48. Linda Pinder says:

Shades of Blue is the best new show. Superior writing, acting and producing. I hope the show and JLo will be up for awards. Keep doing the great job you are and thank you for the refreshing, nail biting and entertaining production. You stepped out of the box, love it!!

49. Chic says:

Good show. One bit of criticism. No cop has fingernails like J Lopez. Makes it look unrealistic.