Legends of Tomorrow Spoilers

DC's Legends: Wentworth Miller on Taking a 'Spice Character' Further, Canary Flirtation, Big Rip Questions

What becomes a Legend most? Can a cold gun-wielding maniac/thief become some semblance of a hero?

DC’s Legends of Tomorrow (Thursdays at 8/7c, on The CW) raised that question from go, when Leonard Snart aka Captain Cold was among the more unlikely recruits for Rip Hunter’s assemblage of time travelers. (“I ain’t no hero,” Snart snarked at the time.) Nor does Wentworth Miller ever wish to see his alter ego don a “pristine white hat.” But becoming a Legend, somehow, some way? That’s an intriguing proposition, for both actor and character.

Here, Miller elaborates on how Legends‘ Leonard differs from the one we’ve spent time with on The Flash, the baddie’s suspicions about Rip and the prospect of shipboard romance.

TVLINE | How have you tweaked your performance as Snart on Legends versus the glimpses we’ve had of him on The Flash? How would you say he’s different?
I would say that comparing Snart on Flash versus Legends, it’s not a question of a tone shift but an expectation shift, for me as an actor and for the writers as well. On The Flash, I thought of Snart as a spice character — I get to come in, do a little dance, be funny and exit. flash-lisa-leonard-snartOn Legends, we’re spending a lot more time with him, so the question becomes: Well, what else is there? And how do we supplement the charisma and the edge and the menace and the humor without telling me so much that all of that dissipates?

TVLINE | In Episode 3 (airing tonight), Snart runs into his childhood self. Is that the most emotional beat you’ve gotten to play?
So far — and it speaks to the core of the character’s journey, which began on The Flash, as far as his introduction into this universe. I think Snart was a model of a certain kind of man. He makes certain choices, this is what you can expect. Signed, sealed and delivered. Snart is Snart. And I think Snart has thought of himself in that way — “I’m a criminal and that’s all there is to me and for me.” On Legends, the door opens a crack and he realizes that maybe redemption is possible, maybe change is possible, maybe growth is possible. Washing your hands clean after you’ve committed X number of crimes, maybe that, too, is possible.

TVLINE | I can’t imagine you’d want full-on redemption, though.
I’m not talking about Snart wearing a pristine white hat. I hope that never happens, because I love him where he currently lives and breathes. I’m talking about Rip’s invitation to join this journey and become a hero. Snart rejects that, immediately, because he can’t conceive of himself as a hero. He doesn’t feel that that’s available to him. Yet he likes the idea of being a legend — that seems appealing and within his grasp. This adventure, bringing down Savage and saving humanity, is a noble cause — perhaps the noblest. And if Snart decides that he can be a part of that and help facilitate that, maybe redemption is possible.

Legends of Tomorrow

TVLINE | Which dynamic outside of Snart and Mick (played by Miller’s Prison Break bro, Dominic Purcell) have you found most interesting to explore?
I think Snart is focused on White Canary (Caity Lotz), for sure. I think he respects her as a badass, but he also sees that she’s got a code, and she’s wrestling with her own demons in a way that he can relate to. But he’s also intrigued by Rip (Arthur Darvill). Rip rubs him the wrong way A) by calling himself “Captain” and B) Snart’s not used to be being told what to do.

TVLINE | Rip is very much about rules, Snart not so much.
Exactly. And C), Snart sits in his shades of gray, and I think he sees that in Rip as well. So he begins to wonder: What is Rip willing to do, what is he willing to sacrifice — who is he willing to sacrifice — in order to take down Savage? Snart certainly doesn’t want to be one of the casualties.

TVLINE | Regarding White Canary, do you see the basis for anything romantic there?
I don’t know…. We’re having fun with the flirtation of it. They’re both primal characters in their own way, so that will be what that will be.

TVLINE | Then again, we haven’t seen a hint of a romantic bone in Snart’s body.
Right, we haven’t spent enough time with him to see him in that mode. I’m interested to explore that — if not with White Canary, then with some other character.

Want more scoop on DC’s Legends, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. JCPrime says:

Thanks Matt. I’m hoping for a Snart/Sara hook up.

2. rinaex says:

I love Wentworth Miller so much, so glad to see him working again!

• Bwhit says:

Ditto! I was downright giddy when they announced this show would be happening. I love how he plays Snart and have since his very first scene on The Flash.

3. Sarah9 says:

Thanks for the interview and i can’t wait to see more of Snart! He is one of my favourite alongside Sara :)

4. Elouise says:

I would be SO down with a CaptainCanary hookup. I hope they make that happen.

5. LT says:

Hands down my new favorite show!

6. Drew says:

If wonder if Rip and Snart are flexible … but I presume SnartRip (RipSnart?) would be out of the question. I’d pay to see that romantic liaison brought to life.

• ninamags says:

I’d prefer Snart and Palmer. They are so totally opposite that there has to be chemistry there. There is, actually.

7. Bwhit says:

All the characters are great but Leonard is my favorite. It sounds like Wentworth Miller is having a lot of fun playing this sort of character. I wouldn’t mind a Snart/Sara fling but I don’t really care if he pairs with anyone…. I just enjoy him on his own.

8. Jake says:

After reading this interview, I gained tremendous respect for Wentworth Miller. What a smart man !

9. Azerty says:

I kinda like the bromance between Snart and Palmer. Now that Hawkman is dead the weakest link for now is RIP. He doesn’t have the charisma to be the leader of that team.

• Ruby says:

I think that’s on purpose, though. He’s trying to lead a group and maybe not the best fit for that role in a group of very strong personalities that don’t necessarily accept him as their leader. It’s possible Ray, Len and/or Sara would all be better leaders than Rip if they committed to that. It’s just one of the things that make the show interesting and different from anything else on TV. Captain Cold is the best character, though, no question.

• Azerty says:

You are right. Beside it’s only episode 3 Rip will probably rise as a leader later on the show. Captain Cold (and Sara) are my favorites.

10. Michael says:

If Sara winds up hooking up w/ anyone, it’ll probably be Rip.

11. Dewey S Fischer says:

I love Wentworth Miller’s Capt Cold His attitude make him one of the more enjoyable villains on TV. Mr Miller and Robin Lord Taylor of Gotham make these 2 shows immensely enjoyable to watch especially when they are featured.

12. Gail says:

Is Legends always going to be about stopping Vandal Savage? That would mean the team will always fail in their main goal until the last episode. If Vandal can be killed as is was in tonight’s episode but then can come back he is like the Hawks being reincarnated except that he comes back as an adult and they are reborn as children. They said tonight he was next spotted in 1986. Does that mean he did not exist between 1975 and 1986 or he just kept a low profile.

• lrdslvrhnd says:

I would say kept a low profile. I see him as mostly being behind the scenes pulling strings (a la Kingpin) and only coming out in the open when necessary… like to sell a nuclear weapon. Of course, he should also have a whole slew of aliases to hide behind so finding “Vandal Savage” is difficult. I’d guess his appearance in 1986 would have some kind of visual recording that Gideon found an archived copy of or something.

13. Phoenix5634 says:

New episode of LoTs is on right now after Super Bowl! Boba Fett lol (Cronus) caught up with them again!

14. Erin says:

I am so incredibly happy that both Wentworth and Caity would be down for something with Snart and Sara, no matter what it would be. They’ve got incredible chemistry and I really would like to see anything, no matter what it is, happen between them.

15. Mike says:

I don’t know, I’d rather they gave Wentworth an opportunity to play an LGBT villain/anti-hero because he seems very excited to bring more LGBT rep to the show. It’d be a waste to have such a great actor who is very open with his sexuality play a totally straight character.