Exclusive
Matt Czuchry Returns to Gilmore Girls

Matt Czuchry Sets Gilmore Girls Return

Logan Huntzberger, you’re wanted back in Stars Hollow.

Gilmore Girls fave Matt Czuchry — who played Rory’s last major boyfriend in Seasons 5-7 — has closed a deal to return for Netflix’s four-part revival, TVLine has learned exclusively.

Earlier this week, Gilmore creator Amy Sherman-Palladino told me in Part 2 of our Q&A that, “Our plan is to get as many of [Rory’s] lovely men back as possible,” but noted that deals were still being finalized. “We’re still dealing with who’s going to be in it. We definitely want to see them. And we have storylines planned. I just need someone to tell me they’re going to show up.”

It’s probably not a stretch to say the ex-lovers’ impending reunion will be a touch awkward. In Gilmore‘s series finale on The CW, Logan — reeling from Rory’s rejection of his marriage proposal — jetted off to California to start a new job. And as AS-P teased, when we meet up with Rory again, “She’s dating like any young woman with that face would be.”

It’s not clear how many of the revival’s four 90-minute installments Czuchry (who’s currently shooting The Good Wife on the opposite coast) will appear in.

1. Et al. says:

Never liked him, but thanks for the scoop!

• Piers says:

He’s OK , but Rory belongs with Jess.

• lori says:

Thank you! Totally agree!

• S. says:

Gross. If Rory ends up with Jess, it’ll ruin the entire series for me. That’s how loathsome he is. I don’t think he’s a reformed bad boy as much as he is one that is able to hold it in for Rory’s sake (until someone else angers him in her presence and he gets angry), and people romanticize that too much. He’s never been nice to Lorelei, he tried to break up Rory and Dean even when Rory tried to make it clear she didn’t want him to insert himself. Angry passion isn’t love, not healthy love at any rate. I don’t blame Logan one bit for being territorial with an ex of Rory’s coming around who she’s had a thing for and who won’t respect boundaries. Even if Rory’s not interested, you can’t trust Jess to drop it. Let him go off and find himself. I don’t need him around. I’m sure I’ll have to suffer through this though because I wouldn’t put it past ASP to decide to bring him back. Too many people like bad boys and wanna fix/excuse them. Jess is bad news.

• Crystal says:

S, I totally agree with you about Jess!!! I have actually rewatched all the seasons with the best of intentions to like him. Nope! How can you be with someone who is so rude to your mother?!

• faulknerjer says:

I’ve never liked any of Rory’s dudes, except maybe season one Dean. But at least Jess feels more real and fleshed out of any of her boyfriends. He started out as a basic bad boy trope, but we realized he was more f-ed up than that. And then we saw him mature through the years. I’m not TeamJess, but that did seem to have greater emotional weight than any other Rory-and-dudeFriend story arc. So, if we have to see Rory get back with someone from her past I’d prefer it be him. And considering he’s Luke nephew it won’t feel as much of a contrivance to have him in Rory’s life. Rory being with Dean makes no sense at this point. And I just found Logan too nauseating to be cool with that.

• reesa says:

haha I had to rewatch all the season to. I was 13 back then, so for sure I looooved Jess. But as I grew older, I found Logan to be a much better fit, or at least for that time in her life. But anyways, I hope he grew up as well (and didn’t get married to some bimbo right after him and Rory broke up) and they’ll find their way back to each other *hopelessromantic* lol

• Sarah j says:

I think Jess is hot but of all if Rort’s guys, Logan was her best match.

• Sarah j says:

Stupid iPad typo…Rory

• Hso says:

Well, for me (and many others), the series can’t end any other way than with Rory and Jess together. That’s difference of opinions for you. :)

• Bwhit says:

But the problem with your argument is Jess did go off and find himself. Did you not see when he came back when Rory dropped out of Yale and was living with her grandparents? Jess came back to show her the book he’d written and to tell her she’s part of the reason he got it together. He also met Logan and saw how she was ruining her life. He told her that wasn’t her and she needed to go back to Yale. Then he showed up again living with some other writers and apologized to Luke and thanked him for everything and ai believe gave him a check for helping him all those years. Rory came to that to and tried to use Jess to make herself feel better about Logan. I feel like the people who hate him didn’t watch when he came back in later seasons. So the finding himself already happened.

• LB says:

You took the words right out of my mouth, Bwhit! Thank you! I’m Rory and Jess, all the way. I like Matt Czuchry, and liked Logan as a character on the show, but not for her to ultimately end up with. I always hoped that she and Lorelei would end up with people not from Richard and Emily’s world, because they’ve never truly meshed with that world. Not doubting the love in their family, just that they had different priorities.

• So you blame Logan for Rory dropping out? That was all her. Logan didn’t cause or influence that. Jess didn’t influence or cause her to return. Rory was always the good student, she was always going to return to Yale and graduate. No guy was ever going to change that.

• Bwhit says:

@angie, I never once said Logan was the reason she dropped out nor did I say Jess was THE reason she went back. I said when he asked her what she was doing it was one of the things that set up a chain of events that got her back to Yale. She dropped out and was working with the DAR and she was starting to see it wasn’t right… When Jess asked her what she was doing and told her she wasn’t acting like her, it helped put things in perspective. I’ve watched that episode since this revival was announced. People only think of Jess as the snotty teenager and don’t see what he became in later appearances. I like Logan and who he started to become. Rory’s choices were her own. The person I was responding to said Jess never grew up and was terrible and that is just not the case.

• I only read the first few words of your reply and already am in full agreement with your entire response. I love Logan! Sure he was a total tool in the first season and even had some hiccups when he and Rory were together (yes, some massive hiccups I admit) but he loved her, wanted the best for her, wanted to give her the best, and be the best he could so he was worthy of her. Jess, please stop being crazy people. Sure he finally got his act together after he broke up a relationship, skipped town, treated his family like crap, stole a car, dropped out of high school, and had ZERO goals for his life. But that was all a little to good, way too late. Dean…okay, Dean was the as perfect as perfect can be boyfriend but then he also cheated on his wife and once, always. So he can go. Just go.

• Nicole says:

What car did he steal? Are you talking about the car that LUKE stole FROM
            HIM and then he TOOK BACK?

• juulz67 says:

I agree Jess would be a horrible mate for Rory .

• i_kissed_a_trekkie says:

Yes. Totally. Jess was such an asshole to Emily, Lorelai, Lane and even Luke. It is the same old cliche bad boy trope done in million other shows…once people grow out of high school mindset, they will see that. Logan was the most three dimensional character. He was rich and priviliged but he was also super fun and generally happy. He was nice to Rory’s family. And he was not a door mat like Dean or a creep like Jess. Plus he did go to Yale and was also just as smart as her.

• Lorna says:

As long as he and Rory do not get back together. He did not deserve her. Team Jess. Even team Dean.

• S. says:

Dean’s a cheater, Jess is awful. Team either one is a bad idea–better nobody or a new person than either of them. Logan at least was trying to be a better person. Whether he could escape his family pull is the question. The best of intentions doesn’t mean it’s gonna happen. After years have gone by, I think we’ll find out.

• David4 says:

I agree, but whatever, bring everyone back.

What I don’t get is isn’t the series already filming? They can’t have finished scripts without actors, they forgot to ask Sookie, the whole thing seems poorly planned.

2. Kris says:

So glad he’s going to be back

• Jeri says:

I like Matt but Logan, like all Rorys Boyfriends was kind of a jerk. It will be good to see him though. They all had some good qualities but their flaws seemed more high lighted.

• Jeri says:

Still a Matt fan on TGW where.again his role is under served. Would love to see him in a break-out role.

• Kenisha says:

I agree with your comment so much! I know this whole post is about the Gilmore Girls but I really love Matt C. In The Good Wife and agree his talent is being underutilized. I personally like the Logan and Rory mix. Jess at first was a jerk but that was also because he had those dysfunctional family issues. I think he showed through time and work he could be a better person. I don’t think that means he is the person for Rory. Dean was a great first boyfriend, one that hopefully all of our girls would encounter, even if only ideally. But what came out subsequently was they outgrow each other or, Rory outgrew Dean. It happens. Why I like Logan is he rejected the world he grew up in, just like Lorelei. So I like that tie in. Just my 2 cents. :-)

3. Courtney says:

Expected he would be back. Love Matt as an actor, but I am eagerly awaiting the Jess/Milo announcement. I think it would be good to give Logan/Rory some sort of closure though.

4. aa says:

I don’t really care for him, Dean, or Jess. Give Rory a new guy who actually is good for her.

• Kay says:

Right?? I’m team “None of them”

• Josh says:

Preach it!

• Jimmy says:

I with you on that. Why does she need to be attached to anyone? Can’t she be a happy, successful, single woman?

• S. says:

What’s with the idea that she has to be alone to be a strong woman? People always bemoan that whenever shipping starts happening. Feminism and being in a relationship aren’t mutually exclusive. She can be a happy, successful woman who’s ready to find a long term relationship too. At the very least Rory would need to have come to the realization that she’s a serial dater or a serial monogamist or something, but she’s always seemed like the type to get attached to one person. I haven’t heard her be anti-marriage. She seems like a romantic no matter how hard she tries to just keep things lighter. The idea of her finding a person and marrying them is fine for Rory. Not for everybody, but it fits the character to eventually do it. Makes sense to at least point her at someone for the sake of story resolution. We’re not gonna be around for it long enough to give her time to meet someone when she’s 40. She’s apparently 31 if real time is being observed on the show. It’s fine to have her do this now.

• Lo says:

How do we know a grown up Dean, Logan or Jess isn’t good for her?

• Ben says:

+1 to this. They were all a waaay 2 young when they cross paths.

• Hso says:

True. But I don’t believe ASP would let Rory end up with Logan as pretty much every cast member, including Matt, found Logan to be a d***. And you can’t fight with that, no matter how ‘reformed’ he is.

• Dean was the one I wanted her to dump because he bored me. I’m fine with Logan and Jess. Though I have to say Dean makes a mighty fine Winchester.

• Simon Jester says:

Agreed. The perfect guy for Rory was, of course, Marty (a.k.a. naked dorm guy).

• Kenisha says:

• Kenisha says:

Love that option!! But I didn’t love how he kind of threw her under the bus when he was with that other girl, the theater girl. Still though I like that match up!

• Lucy G says:

Agreed! Logan is my favorite of the three, but I am Team New Guy, or Team Rory is Happily Single!

5. Phillip says:

Such good news!

6. Noo… why? They broke up, why would they bring him back? I’d rather see date rapist Jess returning than that little jerk.

• jj says:

Date rapist Jess???

• Jeri says:

Who/when did Jess date rape??!!

• Lorna says:

Prob means in s3. Jess got mad Rory wasn’t going to have sex at the party when she brought him upstairs. Hardly qualifies as a rapist.

• Nicole says:

She didn’t bring him upstairs, she went upstairs to find him.

Also, he was upset because he found out that he would not be graduating from hs. He took his anger out on Rory ( I have watched this show way to many times lol)

• Yeah and she had to push him away from her because he wouldn’t stop and wanted to have sex. I’m sorry, but that’s at least attempted rape.

• Hso says:

Not justifying any behavior of this kind and trust me, I’ve had it worse in RL. But when considering this is TV and you only see snippets of occourences (meaning, you don’t know anything about how close Rory and Jess got to going at it at other times). If this was a real life couple, like any other teenage couple, they probably would’ve gotten around to at least second base, and Rory did plan to sleep with Jess. ANYWAYS, you can’t consider this attempted rape. You’d be undermining the meaning of ‘rape’ by doing so.

• Nicole says:

Rory told her mom that she was thinking of having sex with Jess… So I am sure they got close

• So just because a girl is considering to sleep with her boyfriend it is okay for him to force her to? She made it very clear to him in that scene that she wasn’t ready and he wouldn’t stop. I don’t care that he was in a crappy mood. Jess was ALWAYS a jerk. He was a jerk to Luke, to Emily and to his own girlfriend.

• i_kissed_a_trekkie says:

People love Jess because he is hot. They don’t wanna admit that. So they make excuses for how much of a jerk he was to Rory and her family. Lol. Its very simple to see through that.

7. Logan is my fav so I’m very excited !!!!

8. anon123 says:

Yess!! ☺️

9. Susan says:

Yay! We never cared for Jess at all. Dean was her first love, but you don’t necessarily end up with your first love.

• S. says:

I don’t care for Jess either. As for her first love, well she did try to end up with him for a minute there. His wife minded… I’d like Logan or a new person provided we get to know and like them sufficiently. On Downton Abbey the suitor situation for Lady Mary worked out well in my opinion. You don’t have to have years of will they/won’t they with a character to sell it. Too little though and relatively new characters won’t work.

10. Bwhit says:

I liked Logan but Jess was my favorite. Yes he was a bratty teenager but it was his later appearances that made him my favorite…. He was part of the push that got Rory back to Yale, plus he’s Luke’s nephew. I’m really hoping to get a similar announcement that Milo will be back too :)

11. Annie says:

Okay but really a lot of people just care about Milo. Jess and Rory deserved a better ending

• i_kissed_a_trekkie says:

12. Siobhan says:

Yay!! He was my favorite of all her boyfriends! Even if she doesn’t end up with him, I can’t wait to find out what his character has been doing all these years!

13. Amanda says:

Awesome! Was and will always be Team Logan.

14. JRS831 says:

There are certain characters that will just make this “gift from the gods” mini-series that much better and Logan is one of those characters. Love Matt in “The Good Wife” and looking forward to seeing him back as Logan!

15. kat newkirk says:

love this news! of all rory’s boyfriends, he was the best. so glad he’ll be back!

16. aph1976 says:

I’m happy about this news and at the same time because i think the show wants to bring back every character they can to wrap everything up and not leave loose ends.Plus i’m wondering if the show will have Logan, Dean and Jess run into each other somehow and have them talk about Rory.

17. Lauren says:

Yay!!!! I liked Logan and love Matt Czuchry so happy to hear this! Waiting eagerly for the Milo announcement!

18. Jessica says:

Yes !!! Great love Matt 😊

19. Mick says:

Slowclap thank you CBS! Even if they don’t get them together. I hated how Rory and Logan ended so hopefully this will offer a better conclusion.

20. karen says:

does this mean that jared/dean is the boyfriend that has gotten too expensive and won’t be in the revival? that bums me out. i always had a soft spot for rory and dean.

• acbl17 says:

That’s exactly what I was thinking. That bit of scoop was either Matt or Jared. Looks like it’s Jared. Bummer.

I don’t want her to end up with Dean, but I’d like to know where he is now.

• c-mo says:

I really wish AS-P’s people could negotiate directly with the “busy” or “too expensive” actors because I have a feeling that most of them would come back regardless of their current rates; most would probably even work for scale. From what I remember the cast got along well with each other. Sure some had their favs but I don’t remember hearing about any Good Wife-level spats.

• B says:

Well, there were no spats at the time, but didn’t Milo and Alexis have an ugly breakup after the series was over? I feel like that could be a hurdle…

• c-mo says:

That’s possible but seeing as she’s married now and it’s been 8 years, I have a feeling they’re probably over by now. I hope they are at least, because I really want Milo, especially, back…although I really like Matt too.

• B says:

I was convinced that was him! Although, did AS-P actually say whoever it was wouldn’t be back at all, or just that they had to cut a storyline they wanted? I could see them all coming back for cameos, but maybe not being available for longer stints.

21. Um … cool? I like the actor, but I just don’t care that much about the character. I think he was fine by the end, but if he never showed up again, I wouldn’t be heartbroken. Mostly, I’m disappointed this is the big casting news – don’t get me wrong, I don’t want to be ungrateful for scoop, but out of all the Gilmore Girls characters I want to get back, and there are so many of them, Logan’s way down the list. I don’t even know if I’m getting any Sookie and Jackson, let alone Miss Patty, I’m really not worrying about whether or not Rory’s college boyfriend made the cut. If I had to pick a boyfriend of Rory’s to come back, I’d go Jess, if only to see some uncle/nephew time with him and Luke. Logan’s pretty … eh.

22. Amanda says:

I’m expecting a Logan against Jess final showdown tbh, which is a very ASP thing to do. #TeamJess

23. Reba42 says:

I’m hoping she runs into Logan with an average wife, and 2 kids living in the ‘burbs, instead of still boozing and womanizing to get over her. Logan was my fav, but she was his miss right now.

24. laffers18 says:

Logan was my guy (sure, could be an ass but he was good for her in the end. Made her experience more of life!) and I adore him in TGW so this has made me v.happy.

25. brandydanforth81 says:

Can anyone tell me please if this will be Netflix DVD or Netflix streaming only?Will all episodes be released at the same time?

• Viviana says:

We dont know yet. They just started filming on Tuesday so its a bit early to know how they will release. ASP said that she wouldnt want all of them released at the same time. She wants one episode a week.

• Andrea says:

@brandydanforth81: I’m no expert, (nor have I ever watched Gilmore Girls), but I do have a Netflix DVD plan. To date, none of Netflix’s original content has started out on DVD. Netflix has usually released the content on DVD, but that’s often been much later after the streaming content has been available for awhile. If you want to see this the very moment it’s available, I’d buy the streaming plan if you’re new to Netflix.

• brandydanforth81 says:

Thanks for the advice.I don’t have Netflix but am going to get it-in a free trial-just for this-I have a 15G limited data plan on my iPad so the streaming won’t work for me as it would probably use all or most of my data allowance.

26. LucyD says:

Yay!!! I am excited for the new Gilmore Girls anyway and I loved Logan (and Matt Czuchry!!) This is great news.

27. jj says:

No. I want Dean/Jared. LOgan/Matt was my least favorite.

28. Colin says:

Yeah!!! Screw Jess

29. Angela says:

Logan was my favorite, and I hope they don’t regress him. At least here they remember he was on his way to a job when he left. (Unlike Matt Czuchry, who said Logan wouldn’t be working – despite him becoming a “work dork” and clearly loving work, once he stopped goofing off)

And if them breaking up was reason not to bring him back, then NONE of them should be back, because Rory isn’t dating any of them. So that is missing some logic there.

30. alex says:

So happy! Logan is my favourite rory boyfriend. I dislike dean with burning passion, and jess was okay, but logan was her best match!

31. Sarah says:

Great news. There was unfinished business with Rory and Logan. The other two, however were done.

• nicole says:

Agreed! It was so out of character for him to be all or nothing all of the sudden when he had been head over heels in love with her. I’m pretty sure a few days later he would have realized that was stupid and not what he really wanted to do. Here’s to hoping they make their way back together in the revival!

32. LT says:

Sadly, he will get more work on this small 4 part show than he has in 7 seasons of a show where he is a regular castmember.

33. Lola says:

Cool! Now we just need Milo to join as well! #teamjessforever

34. Cordelia says:

YAY YAY YAY YAY!!!

35. Shula says:

This such good news !!
    Sookie must come back too, it will not be the same without her !!

36. San Summer says:

This announcement seems to narrow it down to either Milo or Jared being the one who the showrunner couldn’t get back due to budgetary reasons. So it’s pretty much a confirmation that Jared is the one who might not be returning even though there was a storyline that involved his character. :/ Jared is a lead on a long-running show so hiring him is going to cost more. I hope that they can still work something out so that Jared can be part of the revival as planned.

37. John036 says:

Yesssss!!!! I would be happy if Rory ended up with either Logan or Jess, but as long as Jess is even more mature than his later appearances. I would hate for her to end up with Dean though. I hope Rory enters the revival single (she is, right? I haven’t seen anywhere that says otherwise so I’m just assuming). If she doesn’t end up with Jess or Logan, I hope she can at least be friends with them!!!

38. forg says:

College Rory era, I was rooting for Marty over Logan oh well

39. Laura says:

Is it weird I think Logan was just a Tristan dugrey knock off because CMM was doing OTH and would kinda like the original back?

40. Deion says:

I wasn’t a fan of Logan, but season 7 left things so unresolved between them. For the sake of story, Logan needs to be here.

41. Johanna says:

I don’t care what anyone says, I adored Logan. Could he be a colossal jerk at times? Yes, but so did every single one of Rory’s love interests. Dean? Yes (later on). Jess? In the beginning, hell yes. (I loved him anyway, but he could be such an a-hole). Even that guy Marty who had a crush on Rory acted like a jerk when he started dating her roommate.

And other than Max Medina, I’m pretty sure all of Lorelai’s love interests (even Luke) acted like jerks sometimes. It was usually when the writers decided they needed drama, or they wanted you to stop liking a character and like a different love interest instead. I think Logan was really starting to get his act together by the end, but then they made him propose to Rory and it all went to hell. I haven’t been able to watch seasons 6 or 7 since they aired. I never bought the DVDs either.

Anyway, that’s my long-winded way of saying I’m glad that Logan will be back, but with the way they wrote everything in those final seasons, I think Jess is probably the one Rory should end up with. I hope Logan is happy with someone else!

42. creativebugger1 says:

Yes! He’s my favorite out of all of Rory’s boyfriends. I was team Dean until Dean cheated on his wife with Rory and was a total punk about it. Never liked Jess. I didn’t like Logan in the beginning but he grew on me by the time the series ended.

43. Emma says:

YESSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!! Logan was my favorite of Rory’s boyfriends!!!! I liked Dean in the beginning but then when he cheated on Lindsay with Rory and became an annoying idiot I couldn’t stand him anymore. Jess had his moments but I never really liked him. I hated Logan in the beginning too but he grew on me as he became mature. I hated how they ended. Logan giving Rory an ultimatum was so out of character for season 7 Logan. I really hope they end up together or if they don’t we at least get closure. So happy to hear this great news! Can’t wait to see Matt back!!!! ♥♥♥

44. ChrisGa says:

Team Logan all the way. Didn’t mind Dean either but Jess? I can honestly say that when I watched and Milo showed up in the opening credits I let out a verbal “ugh” every time; cannot STAND that character(and it’s nothing against Milo, who I like).

45. I hope they didn’t get back together. Never liked them as a couple. I hope to see Dean too. Even Jesse, which is possible since… yay to seeing Lorelai and Luke together!!! :D

46. faulknerjer says:

TeamSingle, TeamNewGuy or TeamJess if we must go back in the past. I’m just not looking forward to any Rory love triangle, which was never a highlight of the series.

47. reesa says:

my life is complete!

48. LilCece says:

#TeamLogan reporting for duty!! Yippee!

49. Liz says:

So he wasn’t the one who was too expensive then…