Big Bang Theory Recap: The Object of Sheldon Cooper's Affection

Sheldon’s Meemaw paid her beloved Moonpie a visit on Thursday’s Big Bang Theory, which found two of the most important women in his life at odds.

Dr. Cooper’s frequently-discussed-but-never-before-seen grandmother (as portrayed by Oscar nominee June Squibb) arrived from Texas in the aptly titled “The Meemaw Materialization,” and it wasn’t long before she and Amy were at each other’s throats.

The reason, you might ask?

The otherwise endearing Meemaw has an axe to grind with Shelly’s girlfriend over her decision to break up with him last year. While she has no trouble supporting the career-driven Penny and her marriage to Leonard, she worries about Sheldon and how marrying someone who has the ability to hurt him might impact his career and overall wellbeing. Of course, Amy isn’t under the assumption that she and Sheldon are anywhere close to marriage, but Meemaw lets it slip that Sheldon has her engagement ring at the ready for when he eventually decides to pop the question.

Meemaw’s betrayal and continued dismissal of Amy causes Sheldon to speak up (albeit reluctantly) on behalf of his girlfriend and their renewed commitment to each other. His heartfelt affirmation puts Meemaw at ease, who gives Sheldon her blessing should he choose to give Amy her ring.

Amy, excited by the prospect of a proposal, taps Sheldon on the shoulder to see if he has anything he’d like to add, but his agitated response — “I just gave you my virginity, woman. Cool your jets!” — would seem to indicate that he’s a far way off from asking for her hand in marriage.

Meanwhile at Stuart’s comic book store, Raj meets a beautiful woman named Claire (Caprica vet Alessandra Torresani), an aspiring screenwriter who leaves him her phone number to collaborate on a children’s sci-fi film. Howard suspects Claire is hitting on Raj, and gets it in his friend’s head that she might be interested in him romantically, thus causing him to question his loyalty to Emily.

For once, Howard is right, as Claire admits to Raj over an awkward phone conversation that they did in fact share a vibe. And while she promises that things between them will remain totally platonic as long as he has a girlfriend, he can’t help but fantasize about their eventual life together (with two kids!) when they meet to work on her script.

Needless to say, this storyline appears far from over.

What did you think of tonight’s Big Bang? Will Sheldon ever get around to proposing to Amy? Are Raj and Emily in trouble? Sound off in the comments.

1. Yep! says:

June Squibb rules!

2. Luli says:

Hilarious ep! I liked this Claire character… I’m excited to explore this storyline with Raj.

3. Less than 20 minutes of actual show. Before its over it’ll be 15. I look forward to the show, based on historical experience, and have less than great feelings after. I feel Amy is doomed, doomed to see her relationship through with Sheldon only to wake up and one day see what a horrendous pain in the butt she took upon herself. Raj is doomed to never grow up and never have a mature relationship. I feel Leonard and Penny are going thru the motions. I don’t know where they can go with this program. At least in Jane Austin romance novels she knew when to say The End.

• Nichole says:

Obviously, the words “comedy sit-com” is lost on you… “Doomed”? Perhaps, you should say “The End”, and watch something more suited for your taste–whatever the Hell that is.

• Catherine says:

It’ll end when the advertising dollars dry up and/or one of the major characters refuses to return. I agree – it’s beginning to be not worth sitting through 11-12 commercial minutes for a very short play.

• Hawk says:

Question is: Which woman wouldn’t? Sheldon isn’t an easy or ideal mate. No woman in her right mind could be blind to the fact he’s a challenge. What makes it fun is that both he and Amy keep trying.

• Jeri says:

Change the channel. We like the show, and, everyone is right, it’s a comedy!

• Boiler says:

The less than 20 minutes ain’t the fault of the show, it is CBS trying to pay the ridiculous salaries thru more commercials. If the show is raking in huge dollars why more commercials??

4. c-mo says:

June Squibb killed it as Meemaw! Can she move into Penny’s old apartment? Favorite line was definitely Sheldon’s “I just gave you my virginity, woman. Cool your jets!” But I also loved Meemaw’s “I wanted to fill his pockets with corn and send him out to feed the pigs.” or something to that effect.

5. Pat says:

Love seeing June Squibb and she plays the perfect Meemaw for Sheldon. Also, anxious for next week. What could the big surprise be? Could Amy be getting that ring on her finger or could it be, that one of the ladies is expecting????? My guess is Amy and with that she also becomes engaged.

6. Joyce says:

D—- it I missed it! Waited all day to enjoy it then fell asleep minutes before. Other channels replay new episodes later why can’t TBBT get a replay sometime the same week? I’m also annoyed by the 20 some commercials (count ’em) every week but writers manage to start and finish subplots at a good point most weeks. Do episodes replay somewhere on the net for free?

• RC says:

The episodes are always posted the next morning (around 4 or 5 am Eastern) on CBS’s website (CBS.com). It doesn’t cost anything to watch them there.

• Joyce says:

TU so much for the CBS site information : ) No commercials, either, but then when I thought it was half over during Raj’s ‘family’ daydream, it was really over. Nearly 19 minutes, wonder how it compares to others? I like Meemaw : )

7. lostom66 says:

I was hoping she was going to be a Racist.

8. lostom66 says:

Funny this is Odd that they don’t have one gay person in this group? Minus the episode with the drag queen who lived in Penny’s apt. You would think the LGBT would have gone off on this.

• Joyce says:

So are you a disappointed racist? As for other types characters, it would make sense to get to know other neighbors in their building…

• dman6015 says:

Oh, I forgot. Every group of friends has one African-American, one Asian, one Latino/a, and one LGBT in real life. Hate to disappoint you, but most friendships don’t run that way.

• NJMark says:

So EVERY group of 5 or 6 people has to match some mythical pie chart?

9. Sharron A Lindsey says:

I loved the episode but then again I love all episodes. I think series will end when Shamy gets married, Raj finds his future wife (I don’t like Emily– maybe Clair?), and Howard and Bernadette get pregnant. (I have so much difficulty understanding Bernadette. Is it only me or do others have trouble? I know I am missing a lot of jokes, As for Penny and Leonard, I don’t know where that is going. I liked the old clue-less Penny better.

10. dman6015 says:

According to imdb.com, the Claire character is in one more episode this season. That could be extended depending on reactions to these episodes. Let’s hope. I’m not a big fan of Emily.

11. jr. says:

I was disappointed with June Squibb as MeeMaw She just sat on the couch, and she very much appeared she was just an actor acting. The other actors tried to revolve around her to make her shine. But she never became “MEEMAW” a character like the actors who became Sheldon and Leonard’s mother. IMO

• Lyn says:

I was hoping for maybe Vickie Lawrence as Mee Maw. I found Ms. Squibb disappointing.

• suzi says:

I was a little disappointed as well, she just wasn’t the MeeMaw I expected. As Jr pointed out, there was never an real character shown.

• Lori says:

I’m glad I’m not the only one who was disappointed with this episode. What frosted my cookies was that we were forced to wait severeal weeks, and the actors just weren’t that funny… It almost felt to me that “Meemaw” just wasn’t that cute.. Compared to the two ladies that play Sheldon & Leonard’s mothers, Meemaw was a big let down.

12. TeeshaWills says:

Don’t get me wrong I like (not love) Shammy BUT… this show has focus WAY 2 MUCH on their relationship! I get that the two actors won awards for the show but seriously, the whole season was more focus on them than any of the other characters. I still feel like I don’t know much of about Raj and Emily. What about Howard and Bernie, dealing as newlyweds? Or seeing Penny and Leonard wanting to live on their own without taking care of Sheldon? AND THE GUYS DON’T EVEN HANG OUT 2GETHER ANY MORE! The writers need to fix this and bring back the dynamic of the nerds ruling.

• jenni lennox says:

I really love Bernie and Howard the most. Nobody can beat Bernie’s zingers. I’d love to see more of these two.

• Joyce says:

I think how much you see of which couple or actor depends on how much they are getting paid. Seems I remember reading that Cuoco, Galeck and Cooper are highest paid. Yes, Sheldon’s actor’s name escapes me at the moment!

13. buster says:

I know you like the show but come on its not funny any more Sheldon has lost his innocence Come on ladies would you really let your boy friend treat you that bad.

• Hawk says:

Ironically enough, it wasn’t Sheldon doing the damage here. He was fairly supportive of both, took his girlfriend’s side when forced to pick one and made clear that wasn’t going to change just because they had slept together.

14. hopemullinax says:

I have to give BBT some massive nerd cred for mentioning Saga. While I dislike it was reduced to being a boob joke, that’s a pretty massive nod to the critically acclaimed comic. I hope it brings more people to read it.