AMERICAN IDOL XV: A contestant in the  “Hollywood Round #4” episode of AMERICAN IDOL airing Thursday, Feb. 4 (8:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. © 2016 FOX Broadcastign Co. Cr: .

American Idol Recap: Meet the Top 24!

It’s good to know that 15 seasons in, American Idol hasn’t lost its ability to send me into a teeth-gnashing, plate-smashing, imaginary mascara-running rage.

OK, no fine china was harmed in the writing of my Top 24 Announcement Episode recap — decade-old Crate and Barrel still beats a Dixie paper plate — but still, that’s not to say the “Final Judgment”/”Green Mile” announcement didn’t make me fantasize about the satisfying shatter of ceramic against the living-room wall.

Watching Season 15 standout Jessica Cabral get booted for an alleged lack of “connection” — without so much as five seconds of supporting evidence from her Dolby Theater showcase performance — had me ready to dial 9-1-1 and report a case of felony idiocy.

Hearing Thomas Stringfellow’s trademark squeak at the end of every single line — and then suffering through the judges telling him his special “something” outweighed his questionable vocal ability — had me double-checking The Voice‘s Season 1o return date.

And do I even mention Harry Connick, Jr. waxing about how Manny Torres “looks like a guy you wanna go see a ball game with” — as if that has anything to do with the process of finding a bookend to hold up the legacy of Kelly Clarkson (and all the Idol greats who followed her)?

Sigh. I haven’t even touched on the eliminations of Kayce Haynes and Lindita in the always cruel, end-of-episode, “we’re down to just two guys/girls” showdowns — though at least producers ditched the bloodthirsty singoffs this time around.

Ultimately, though, Idoloonies know this is how the process works. There is joy and pain, sunshine and rain. (Did I just quote Rob Base & DJ EZ Rock? Oh, you know I did!)

That said, there are at least 8-12 vocalists in the mix with the potential to inherit Nick Fradiani’s crown and sash. Naturally, Melinda Doolittle and I will debate ’em to the death on the next episode of Reality Check (posting Monday here on TVLine) — but for now, allow me to break down the “Final Judgment” performances by the two dozen singers advancing to the Season 15 semifinals.

TOP 24

Adam Lasher

Slightly Better Than Expected
Lee Jean

Eliminated
Michelle Marie
Colette Lush
Jessica Cabral — WITHOUT ANY SUPPORTING EVIDENCE TO EXPLAIN THIS TRAVESTY!
Ameet Kanon
Terrian
Zach Person
Chynna Sherrod
Mary Williams
Laurel Wright
Anatalia Villaranda
Isaac Cole
Jon Klaasen (but he looked so good in those red pants!)
Kassy Levels
Andrew Nazarbekian
Malie Delgado
Sara Sturm
Jordyn Simone
Kayla Michelson
Mionne Destiny
Tiffany Lamae
Christian Eason
Ariel Sprague
Kelsie Watts
Shevonne Philidor
Kayce Haynes — even though his “Hold On, We’re Going Home” was so so good
Lindita — even though you cannot tell me her “Mama Knows Best” wasn’t among the 10 best ladies’ Final Judgment Performances

What did you think of the Top 24 announcement? Who are your early faves? Take our poll below, then sound off in the comments — but please, no Top 12 spoilers!

1. Mike says:

Pretty happy except for JCabral’s elimination. I know some spoiler for top 14, anybody want em? :)

2. Christian says:

I would say my favorites are probably La’Porsha, Olivia, Trent, Amelia, and MacKenzie. I also saw the full performances on vevo I and can I just say, Jenna Renae SLAYED. I don’t know why she was montaged.

• Christian, I also thought she slayed and maybe she is being kept as a surprise. I hope

• Terry says:

I was pretty annoyed that 4 singers got montaged. With all the filler in that episode, they had plenty of time to showcase all of the top 24 equally. I mean seriously, 25 minutes into the show they had only revealed 3 of the top 24! Talk about dragging things out. Ugh

• JVee says:

SHOCKED that Jessica Cabral didn’t make it through. So happy La’Porsha made it – wish Lindita had, too. LOVED what they said to each other after the long walk. “You better win this.” Yes, I think La’Porsha winning would be just fine. Woman can SING.

3. John says:

I was stunned. The producers HAVE to bring Jessica back next week. Maybe Kayce comes back for the boys.

• The Beach says:

I knew they were going to pick Mr. Manbun over Kayce even though Kayce is IMO more deserving and much more current. But I was shocked and angry about kicking Jessica to the curb. It’s probably good that I gave up Twitter because my tweets to those three judges for not putting through the most talented contestant of all would probably get me kicked off.

• Miscellaneopolan says:

I mean, god…how bad must Cabral’s performance have been to deny her entry into the Top 24? Because based on her past work, I don’t think anything short of an epic disaster could have justified her being let go.

• Mary says:

Even at her worst, it couldn’t be as bad as Gianna – gosh her song was atrocious and we all know she got in because of her Mom. I believe she was eliminated because TPTB knew it would knock out their chosen one. Boy I was naive here I thought they actually might want a viable winner but I guess they still want the side show.

• S. says:

Jessica tweeted that the Voice has already contacted her.

• Priscilla says:

Me too, John, I was like, this can’t be happening! Kayce had to me much more star recording quality than the other boys.

• drea says:

Agree – both of them deserved to be in the top 24 far more than some that are there. When I saw Jessica was eliminated, I just could not believe that they were so stupid! Shocking! Also loved Kayce far more than Jordan even though I already knew that they were going to chose the latter… Hmph.

• darcy the slutty twin says:

I can’t believe Jordan Sasser advanced. For sure, he’s cannon fodder, right?

I look at him and think he’s a conundrum. On one hand, his teeth are always showing but on the other hand, he also looks like he has no teeth.

4. SaraPo says:

My faves ranked:
    Guys – CJ Johnson – his solo of “Parachute” WOW, INCREDIBLE
    Dalton Rappatoni – the only contestant who i’ve loved every single one of his song choices so far
    Trent Harmon- adorable and extremely likeable personality, also good song choices
    Mackenzie Bourg – has toned down whatever he did with his voice that annoyed me when he was on The Voice

Girls – Jenn Blosil absolutely love her personality and voice! Hands down my favorite girl
    Avalon Young – love love love her voice, so effortless
    Olivia Rox – jax 2.0 minus the arrogance and entitlement and a dash more talent and humility

Still sad over Malie Delgado, Jessica Cabral and John Wayne Schultz!!!

It also irked the hell out of me for the judges to sit there stone faced as Lindita sang “Bang Bang” which was thoroughly entertaining to me, but earlier were all up on their feet hooting and hollering for WhatsHerFace Mc80’s daughter who literally made me wince while listening to her….give me a break…

People I don’t get or are just not my cup of tea: Tristan who in hollywood week came off bratty to me over the song choice debacle, I also think *she* thinks she may be better than she really is, Jeneve, just NOPE. James Dawson the whatever, NOPE, I like Manny Torres, but the fact that he seems to like himself enough for everyone on the entire planet kinda turns me off, Stefany this goes for you too…And lastly, Thomas Stringfellow and his mysterious case of the hiccups/yipping after every single line drove me absolutely insane that I couldn’t even finish his performance.

Can’t wait to see the past idols next week, that is LONG overdue!!! I hope they are not just teasing me with screenshots of David Cook and Haley Reinhart!!!

• Terry says:

David Cook and Haley Reinhart?!?! YES!!!!!

• Tom22 says:

Isn’t it great that they’ll include Haley Reinhardt in addition to “winners”. Her singing continues to impress strangers unfamiliar with the Idol on top of having a cult following among long-time American Idol fans who have stuck with the show(Xtra gum add, viral postmodern jukebox “Creep” and others.. David Cook is a good guy too and he did a great job as a mentor last season.

• MamaLis says:

I love Dalton too. I don’t know what Slezak’s issue is with him, except perhaps he wears his eyeliner better.

• Priscilla says:

Good recap, SaraPo, I’m still in schock over Jessica Cabral not chosen but they chose Mountain girl, Jeneve. She’s good but how will she do outsidew the country genre?

• Sally says:

@SaraPo: Good comments, especially agree w/WhatsHerFace Mc80’s daughter comment.

5. Timmah says:

No wonder this show can’t produce a decent winner anymore. They value back stories and goofballs over people with actual talent.

• Tom22 says:

They have improved SO much on reducing this! What is left is part of their “reality” show niche. They’ve always been more than a singing competition but a slice and glimpse into America. I think they’ve struck a nice balance finally.

• Ben says:

Valuing back stories and goofballs is what idol traded in from the start. If anything, I think idol has failed because it has STOPPED valuing back stories.

6. Gailer says:

so many bad singers put through again by these judges, so sad because it’s the last season

• Andres says:

There are still some good singers in the bunch like La Porsha, CJ, Shelbie, Manny, And Mackenzie and Trent. We just have to vote for them.

• Mary says:

I blame the Producers and Slimy McScotty more than the judges, but if they don’t have backbone to speak up then it is just as bad. I don’t care how much you are being paid integrity should stand above all else.

• Timmah says:

It has to be some sort of producer manipulation because as much as I don’t care for this trio of judges, they are musicians and there’s no way they’re putting through this clown show unless someone is pulling their strings.

• Ben says:

“Producer manipulation”. The producers have always had the final say in who gets picked – the judges get some say but they don’t get all of it.

• Gailer says:

I wonder if because Randy and Simon had a stake in the record company, they actually cared about the talent? I really don’t know

• Priscilla says:

Good point, Galler! I too love this show and I’m partial to it over The Voice. AI is the original one but I’ll be honest Simon could really give back feedback and tell them how they really sounded. I would suggest tuning in to AXS Tv the UK X Factor, now that show is turning out some amazing singers! Look up last year’s winner Louisa Johnson. she will blow you away..I can’t wait for her music to come out!!

• Ben says:

Neither Randy nor Simon had a stake in the record company.

• Owen says:

Dear Galler. Blah blah blah blah blah blah

7. Christian says:

Also btw, Lindita sang Bang Bang not Mama Knows Best ;)

8. Larc says:

I think we didn’t see a number of performances that were clearly better than those of some who got through. Idol had already decided who they wanted. These performances likely didn’t mean much in their decisions. And they didn’t want to provide viewers with strong reasons to give them grief about their casting.

9. Jillette Razer says:

I would trade all the guys for John Wayne Schulz.

10. Tina says:

Overall I’m pleased with this Top 24 except for a couple people. Not a Shelbie nor a Jeneve fan and I don’t think Emily nor Gianna will make it much further.

• Tina says:

Forgot to add that I was pretty bummed Jessica and Kacye didn’t make it through.

• Priscilla says:

Completely agree, Tina, I thought Jessica’s voice was impecable and Kacye to me had more recording star quality..they kept Jeneve to please the country fans?

11. Dan Gill says:

There was one competitor that I told myself I could NOT watch the show if she didn’t make it to the top 24. Jessica Cabral’s voice was phenomenal in both tone and depth. If “stage presence” was the supposed issue, they probably would have cut Adele if she had tried out. It’s truly absurd that she didn’t make it. Just straight up bizarre. They should have put her through on voice alone. Makes no sense whatsoever. Should have been a “no-brainer”

• SaraPo says:

All of her performances i said to myself “I bet she’s going to win this whole season” and for her to not even made the top 24 was absolutely shocking and disappointing to me…

• The Beach says:

I agree totally. To cut Jessica with her gorgeous tone and put through the daughter of that former singer whose tone was so shrill and unpleasant was a travesty. And don’t ever get me started on “Squeaky” Stringfellow…

• HTGR says:

yeah
        I knew there was no way they were not putting BKS’s daughter through though when she had grown up with JLo.

• Puchinsmom says:

Agree Dan. They let Sonika through saying the same thing. And I think Jessica was at least as good.
      I have to give Michelle her due. She was grace itself when she got cut. For someone so young, it was impressive.
      I really feel like we got to see so little of the actual performances. Could we have had more singing, and less, (ALOT less), hearing EVERY single contestant tell us
      “This means the world to me. It will change my life. I want to do this for my family.” We totally get that. But most of us also like to hear singing.

• Mary says:

Sonika is good but she is another Pia. I hope she surprises me but I doubt it. At least Avalon got in she was the other one I liked.

• DW says:

I went into this thinking she was a potential winner and her elimination has thrown me off-track on the season. We’ll see how the next two weeks go.

• merylskids says:

I totally agree! I had Jessica Cabral as the winner from the beginning. So very disappointed and shocked that she didn’t get through. Makes absolutely no sense. I really hope it’s true that The Voice has contacted her.

• Adkhkrs says:

Agree 100%

12. Andres says:

I think we have a solid top 24. As of now I am rooting for La porsha and MacKenzie if I had to pick one of each gender. You guys should check out the full performances on vevo they are good.
    Sad to see Lindita go, she has this sass that I really don’t see in the other girls other than laporsha

13. Erin says:

I agree with Michael about Jessica Cabral! She was good in all the performances we saw. I can’t believe she did that badly on her last one. It’s a real travesty they didn’t show it. I also can’t stand those squeaks of Thomas Stringfellow.

14. Miscellaneopolan says:

I’m upset by some of the unexplained castoffs, too, particularly Jessica’s, but I dunno–I still think there are more than enough strong performers left to make this an excellent season. Sonika Vaid and La’Porsha Renae both combine big vocals with restraint and musicality–I fully expect them to bring it. CJ Johnson and Shelbie Z were really good in a straight-forward way that I appreciated. Trent Harmon pulls weird faces, but he’s got good taste and a fine voice. Olivia Rox rocked, and Avalon Young was the surprise of the night–so smooth and assured! She was fantastic!

Then you’ve got people like Jenn Blosil and Jeneve Rose Mitchell providing the wild card factor. I mean, the top two will be Dalton Rapattoni and Mackenzie Bourg, despite the fact that they were middling to lame tonight, but I expect we’ll all have a great time before then!

15. CK says:

Yeah, I didn’t think Idol could make me so bitter this early in the season. Jessica could have bombed her Top51 performance and she’d still be better than Jeneve or Gianna. That just ruined the rest of the episode for me, because outside of a few standouts (LaPorsha, Jenn Blosil), no one really wowed me and I need to be wowed if you’re going to send Jessica home in the first hour and then act like it makes any sense. She was just better than 90% of the girls. Don’t send Lindita and Jessica home at the expense of some shaky 15 year olds because that makes for a terrible show.

• CK says:

Last sentence should read “Don’t send some shaky 15 year olds through at the expense of Lindita and Jessica…”

• Dan Gill says:

That’s me too CK. You know there are always going to be borderline cases at this stage, and very tough calls for the judges. That’s understandable. But that’s simply not the case with Jessica Cabral. The judges would have to be absolutely tone deaf across the panel to leave her out of the top 24. She was clearly one of the top singers, if not the top singer of the season. Too strange. I have to wonder if the rumors are true that “The Voice” has contacted her to come on their show. No doubt she’d do extremely well…much to the embarrassment of AI.

16. Miscellaneopolan says:

I liked how Harry Connick Jr. was giving the contestants mixed messages.
    To Dalton Rapattoni: ‘You’re inconsistent, so obviously you’re in the Top 24.’
    To Thomas Stringfellow: ‘There are a lot of singers here who are better than you, so naturally you’re in the Top 24.’
    Keep messing with their heads, HCJ! I hope that at least one of those guys leaves before the Top 12 is set.

• Mary says:

I took it as you really aren’t good but the Producers are making us do it. They don’t care if they have a winner who is viable because the show is done. This season has been such a disconnect for me. I feel like I am at a speed date. By the looks of it they are taken it out of America’s hand, especially we don’t have any say until the top 10. I wish they had just cancelled the dam show and maybe do a two hour special on the seasons prior. Thank God that ABC Thursday line up starts next week. This makes my decision easy on who to watch live.

17. I cried with each and no. I don’t get why I’m crying because I don’t personally know these people or care about them personally yet I cry. I don’t get it.

18. That should be yes and no.

19. Omarr says:

Here the judges go again screwing up the Top 24. Jessica Cabral was the best singer out of this whole season! Yes even better that La’Porsha! And I love La’Porsha! Now I just hope Jessica Cabral goes on the Voice and wins and makes the judges look ridiculous for turning her away.

• JoMarch says:

Wishing she wins the Voice is like cursing her to a life of obscurity. What mega stars, or even low-wattage ones has the Voice created?

• Ben says:

+1. I really like La’Porsha but i feel that she give one trick everytime ’till now (ala Caleb Johnson). I thought that Jessica haves a waaaay more potential given her effortless singing… she remind me soo much to Kelly. They ruined the top 24… again… for the last time.

20. What a terrible mistake to axe Jessica Cabral. Tweet #JCABforwildcard

• drea says:

From what I can tell, she isn’t eligible to be a wild card. Agree 100% that her elimination was a travesty and shocking! And stupid!

• Kayk says:

OK, if we’re talking Wild Card, I hope there IS going to be one so they can bring us back the more-than-deserving John Wayne, with or without his lucky hat! (I’m a sucker for a good black cowboy hat, so preferably WITH! )

21. I wasn’t too mad about tonight. I think the expected ones made it through, and the ones who did not won’t be missed. So far so meh.

22. chadcronin says:

I totally agree with everything you said. Very shocked Jessica didn’t make, nor Jon or Kayce. Some of the reasons for not keeping and keeping didn’t match up, exactly like you said. Will be interesting to see if the strongest ones make the top 14

23. webly3 says:

Yet again, La’Porsha absolutely slayed. I love her so much. I’ve never rooted for a contestant so hardcore this early on.

24. lululime says:

Since the judges have full control of the semifinals AND the wildcard, I have a feeling the outrage is only just beginning! I do like most of the contestants and have no idea who is going to win, and that’s exciting. She may perform wildly outdated songs, but I love that Sonika is giving me old school Idol a la Kelly and Tamyra.

• Timmah says:

I agree that Sonika is one of the few bright spots remaining this season, as Jessica would have been if they’d kept her. They killed this show when they started allowing instruments. Now just about everyone has a freaking guitar strapped around their neck or some other kind of gimmick and there are very few real singers to be found.

• danin says:

Timmah, I was thinking the same thing as I was going to sleep last night. I’ve watched since season one and was going through the seasons to remember when instruments were allowed. I think it was season 7. In season six,Blake Lewis was allowed to do beat boxing. Also, up until season 7 racially&by gender things were more equitable. I think I was excited to see instruments introduced back then, but dang…it’s been so one sided since.

• Ben says:

Completely agree there… I think allowing instruments was one of the things the show did wrong.

25. lululime says:

Also is it just me or does that Dalton guy look like Jeremy Renner?

26. Rick says:

Without Jessica Cabral not worth watching anymore. The best singer by far. What planet are the judges on?

27. Luke says:

these judges are so bad at choosing talent… so bad.

28. Omarr says:

Someone please help me understand what in the world is so appealing about Jeneve Mitchell?

• E Rodgers says:

LOL. I agree.

• Tahoe Mike says:

There is some old time country longing and cry in her voice, but oh man does she need to meet the stylist!

• twell says:

Haha, I keep calling family members in to listen to her and asking “is this good, am I just not getting it?”. But I do hear a pretty tone in there sometimes.

• Lois says:

I believe they are literally putting her through for the gimmick factor at this point. The judges hated her solo round, I was surprised they put her through, so I feel like the producers have had a hand in her sticking around.

29. TK says:

Slezak, if you want, full performances of the top 24 Showcase are on vevo.com. No eliminated contestants’ though. Jessica Cabral :(((

30. Lking says:

The standout to me is Dalton. The kid has star written all over him. I understanderstand he has some health issues but if he can keep it all together he has a shot at it all.

• Mary says:

What health issue does he have? Are you maybe talking about Trent with Mono? I haven’t been impress with Dalton at all.

31. Sony says:

Cannot understand why Jessica Cabral was elemenated. She was the most talented of all.

32. Ronnie says:

Don’t understand how Jessica did not get in. And Gianna will go nowhere because her mom, Brenda K Starr, is annoying and forcing her daughter to live her dreams. Viva LaPorscha!!

33. TVAddict says:

Haley Reinhart back on Idol to duet!!! Almost makes up for losing Jessica Cabral.

34. gmason says:

Don’t get all the whining over Jessica Cabral. There’s plenty of talent in the group that’s left, and at least 5 singers who are a dang sight better.
    Typical Slezak hyperbole.

• Luke says:

Except it’s not Slezak hyperbole (like for LaPorsha) most everyone in the comments agree that Jessica not only should’ve been on the Live show. She had the Kelly Clarkson possibility.

• gmason says:

Unlike some folks, I have been paying attention. This is the way I see it.
        Girls
        #1 LaPorta
        #2 Shelbie Z
        #3 Sonika
        #4 Jenn Basile
        #5 Olivia Rox
        Guys
        #1 CJ Johnson
        #2 Dalton
        #3 Trent Harmon
        #4 Kory
        #5 MacKenzie Bourg
        ———
        We’re gonna be able to get through season 15 and she won’t be missed AT ALL.

• Mary says:

LaPorta and Shelbie Z is not everyone’s cup of tea and to be honest not pop star material. Sonika beautiful voice but we already have a Adrianna diva. Jenn is quirky but I don’t see her going to far. Olivia I could see possibly doing well. Tristian to young and will crack under pressure. None of the guys have wowed me yet, but I am sure one of them is the winner considering the demographics of this show.

• Somebody says:

I’m with you. I actually watched all of the full performances on Vevo and there really isn’t a particularly weak singer out of the whole bunch. I don’t understand all of the Jessica Cabral hype. She was fine, but she didn’t really fill any particular niche in the competition. They let through other singers that can do what she did.

35. The Superficial Man says:

every season I root for attractive females on Idol who actually have singing talent. My four favorites are Amanda Eisenhauer, Emily Brooke, Olivia Rox and Sonika Vaid. To a lesser extent I am rooting for Stephany Negrete but that is more for looks than talent. However based on past Idol voting patterns I only think Emily Brooke will make the Top 10. When it comes to women on Idol -voters tend to go more for a non-threatening contestant like Shelbie Z. Let’s face it – women aren’t jealous of a heavier set woman on Idol. Only 2 of the 14 winners have been white women ( Kelly in 2002 and Carrie in 2005 ) and one black male has won ( Ruben ). -therefore I am resigned to a Dalton Rappatoni vs Mackenzie finale

• Timmah says:

It’s a scary thought but I think we are indeed headed for another WGWG winner who will be the answer to a trivia question in a few years.

• Lyn says:

It looks to me that they are pushing for a female to win. 13 girls and 11 guys in the top 24? I love Dalton and see a bit of Adam Lambert in him, but I know “they” won’t let him win, just like Adam.

• Kayk says:

I’m STILL bitter about that!

And I’m going to see Adam on tour next month. I was lucky to see him fronting Queen in Chicago on opening night of that tour 2 years ago… You don’t have to “win” Idol to be the bigger winner in the end, fortunately!

• Lyn says:

Yep. I saw Adam fronting Queen and saw him in concert with Allison and Orianthi. He was great both times.

36. Luke says:

I stopped watching after Jessica Cabral was eliminated. That was ridiculous. I thought she was possibly going to win the whole thing. But I was worried when there was so little of her during Hollywood week. The show isn’t even a shadow of its former self. I don’t even remember names of the winners since Philip Phillips. When you mentioned Nick Somebody from last year…seriously, I haven’t heard or seen anything of him!!

37. The Superficial Man says:

For me personally- Jenn Blosil and Avalon have had their strong moments this season… I actually think their looks ( they are not “trraditionally” super attractive ) will actually help them in getting votes ( see my earlier remark about being non-threatening ). You could also put Geneve in that category as well. You can prety much pencil LaPorsha into the Top 5. Olivia Rox and Amanda and Sonika are destined to join Brooke White, Siobhan, Hollie Cavanagh, Pia, Angie Miller and Jax as favorites of mine who were able to make the Top 12 but I knew had no shot of winning………….oh well- if women have John Wayne Schultz as their crush I can have mine too !!

• Mary says:

I like Avalon so I do hope she goes far, but with the judges picking the top 14 I won’t hold my breath for it.

• Priscilla says:

Thanks, Superficial Man for bring up some of my favorites which to this date, I wonder what could have been: Angie Miller, my God!, the whole package..Siobhan and Pia, always wonder how their music would have been

• The Superficial Man says:

In 2013 I went to the idol concert I’m Rosemont IL. At the souvenir stand there they were selling t-shirts with th e likeness of Angie Miller and Kree Harrison and Candace Glover. In the arena that night I didn’t see a single person ( male or female , young or old ) wearing a Kree or Candace shirt but I did see about 40 or so people in my area wearing the Angie shirt. ). Candace and Kree had no marketability whatsoever . It’s more than the voice – someone young and pretty like Angie if she had won would have created more buzz out in the real world. Yeah Candace and Kree seem like nice people but that doesn’t always create a demand for them in the real world outside Idol

38. Ryan says:

Did anyone else notice there are 13 Girls and 11 Guys in the Top 24? Screentime and spotlight has definitely been on the ladies this year. The girls are stronger than the guys, but it won’t be a Season 12 repeat of all the guys dropping like flies. I do hope a girl takes the crown

• BrittBrat says:

Some of the guys shouldn’t have made it. There were a few that went through and I didn’t know who they were. Not memorable at all! Also I was shocked that Jessica was cut. Bring her back!

39. AEvangelista says:

I haven’t been watching, but I took a look at Jessica Cabral and this seems like a good candidate for a conspiracy theory. But it’s a simple one, that Jessica had some kind of conflict of interest going on.

• Timmah says:

I too get the feeling that there’s something they’re not telling us.

• gmason says:

That she’s not that good. Listen to her on VEVO.

• Mary says:

That is a matter of taste because she is above LaPorsha and Shelbie for me. If there was a conflict then why wasn’t it announced like in the past.

• Timmah says:

She may not be your cup of tea, but she is objectively a great singer. And they have precious few of those this season.

• Mary says:

That is why I said for me. Lets be honest , where do you see them in the music world today, not marketable. If either one won it will be Candice all over, which I do not think was fair.

• Timmah says:

I agree with you Mary, I was responding to the other poster who said that Jessica wasn’t good. I’m not sure LaPorsha or Shelbie are marketable either. Jessica not only had a great voice but a marketable look and style, which makes her elimination even more baffling. Unless they’re planning on saying they made a mistake and bringing her back Melanie Amaro-like so the judges can be seen as heroes and everyone will be happy again.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Blashphemer. Jessica was the best singer of this bunch by a few miles. I don’t understand what happened here.

• Timmah says:

I agree Angie_O, and I just can’t accept that three musicians (stretching it a bit in JLo’s case) decided based on their own ears to send her home. There had to be some sort of producer manipulation going on here.

40. Eliane says:

Sorry but don’t understand why they send almost all the good ones home.

41. Tahoe Mike says:

I’m not really upset with anybody they put through, yet. The WTF eliminations that really irk me are Collette Lush, John Wayne Schultz, and Jessica C.
    ~
    I would have liked to see Michelle Marie go in, even if only as a Mascot for this season. Her attitude, and love of Idol would have added something; and she sings as well as most of them.
    ~
    One of the stupidest things about this show, from day one, is the insistence on Male/Female balance instead of taking the best 24 without regard to gender. Once again, we would have had a better competition without this stupid rule.

• Ben says:

Well, they didn’t go even this time, but they surely would have been better losing three more guys and taking three more girls.

42. Esther says:

I did not expect to like Trent as much as I do now. I thought I’d find his strange faces and stage presence a bit much but it actually works as a whole for him. Not to mention he has a killer voice and I’ve not heard of a wrong note so far. Glad he’s not just a wgwg and can work the stage. His full performance is great.

43. NotAmerican says:

I’m quite more saddened with Malie Delgado more than Jessica with her groups’ explosive performance during the group rounds (with Manny Torres & Christian Eason) and spectacular perf during the solo rounds. Wishing her for wildcard!

44. Adele S says:

I can’t get past La Porsha’s scary hair!

45. Mary Wiggins says:

I want to know what happend to Lindita. She’s the only one out of all of them that gave me goosebumps. Everyone else to me are just the average type of recycled singers and vocals we’ve heard a millions times on these talent shows.

46. quinhilton says:

I stopped watching after Jessica Cabal was eliminated?????

47. Jeanine says:

Eliminating Jessica Cabral was just wrong. Made no sense. My favorite girls at this point are Sonika and Avalon. Favorite guys are Mckenzie and Dalton. Good luck to everyone and thank you Michael for all you do!

48. Why are they rushing this season? Since it’s their last you’d think they’d want to make it last longer. I hated not hearing everyone sing, this episode could have been a two-part with everyone singing and less backstories.

49. RVARGAS says:

Just an FYI, the Joy and Pain quote you gave was originally done by Frankie Beverly and Maze. It’s a whole song believe it or not. Rob Base and DJ EZRock sampled it.

50. Meg says:

Be sure to watch top 24 on Vevo. So many great performances. Sad each entire performance was not televised, including those who were cut.

• Mary says:

They couldn’t do that because many were cut with no justification, yet others who clearly shouldn’t be there stayed.

• Smokey says:

The Judges and Producers work together to “cast” the top 24. Singing ability is only a plus, not a requirement to be in the top 24…………. Some were eliminated because they may have been a strong threat to out-survive certain singers in the “cast” that the Judges/Producers have decided they want to see in the final top-end level of the show. Also if you do some wiki checking, some of the Voice contestants, like Danielle Bradbery,, have sold much more music than the past 2 Idol winners combined. .

• dax says:

sadly you have never had an orgasm otherwise you would not be such a…….