Muppets Reboot Ratings

Ratings: Muppets Returns to Lows

Maybe it’s time to end the music?

ABC’s The Muppets launched its midseason “reboot” on Tuesday night with 2.8 million total viewers and a 0.9 demo rating (per finals), sliding 29 and 24 percent from its most recent episode to hit series lows. TVLine readers gave the episode an average grade of “B+” (versus the series premiere’s “B-“).

Leading out of that, Agent Carter (2.8 mil/0.8) ticked down to new series lows.

Opening ABC’s night, Fresh Off the Boat returned to 5.2 mil and a 1.4, up 33 percent and two tenths from its last episode.

Elsewhere in the ratings….

FOX | New Girl (2.9 mil/1.4) rose two tenths, Grandfathered (2.5 mil/1.0) ticked up and Brooklyn Nine-Nine (2.2 mil/1.0) was steady. A terrific episode of The Grinder (1.7 mil/0.6) slipped to series lows.

THE CW | The Flash was rock steady at 3.7 mil/1.4, while iZombie (1.4 mil/0.5) added a few eyeballs.

CBS | The Super Bowl’s Greatest Commercials (11.4 mil/2.0) drew its largest audience ever and topped Tuesday in both measures.

NBC | Game Night (4.1 mil/1.1) and Chicago Med (7.5 mil/1.6) each dipped a tenth, while Chicago Fire (8.2 mil/1.8) was steady.

1. Mr. Tran K says:

Looks like it may be the end of the Muppets’ world as we know it.

• ABG says:

And Agent Carter as well :( But we should be thankful we even got a second season of that.

• Ben says:

And the Grinder. All three shows that I would have liked to progress (Muppets only on the new terms, though… it was its own fault that it is doing so poorly to begin with).

2. Boiler says:

I am still surprised at myself that I watch Fox for 2 hours. All 4 shows continue to be great. Too bad for Grinder.

3. LIly says:

America, why aren’t you watching The Grinder?

• Tina Fey says:

Lily: Because the acting is terrible and the storylines are non-existent. Had a hard time deciding who is worse, Rob Lowe or Fred Savage, before saying sayonara several eps back.

• Ron says:

I think The Grinder suffered from its pretty terrible pilot episode. It really wasn’t that good. I always encourage people to stick with shows for at least 4 or 5 episodes, just to be sure. But most people hit the road if they don’t like the first episode. I think this might be one reason it doesn’t do well in the ratings. I hated the first episode, but it clearly has gotten so much better. But the people that left after the first episode don’t know that…

• DavidJ says:

It’s a really good show, but honestly after the first two or three episodes I pretty much had my fill of it and didn’t feel the need to see those characters again. Or to see all the different ways in which Rob Lowe’s character will magically save the day at the end.

4. wrstlgirl says:

Chicago Fire was incredibly intense last night. And a bit disturbing :-) Med was good too.

5. Guy says:

Brooklyn 9-9 and The Grinder are the far superior Fox comedies yet do worse in the ratings than the mediocre shows preceding them. Sigh.

• Simon says:

I know right?! Can’t believe B99 numbers are so low and why hasn’t the grinder clicked with viewers, it’s great

6. Sjl says:

How did American Crime Story OJ do?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Cable ratings famously come in much, much, much later and as warranted are reported under separate cover.

7. PaisleyPark says:

My poor muppets! Ugh! One of the few shows I make it a point to watch, and the ratings are so bad. How can you not love Miss Piggy?!?!?

8. iZombie is knocking it out of the park in S2. It’s doing an excellent job of mixing “story of the week” with longer show arcs/mythology. It’s also slips between comedy and drama effortlessly. Last night’s episode had multiple laugh out loud moments and genuine misty-eye feels scenes. My #1 recommendation for new “shows to adopt”.

9. KC says:

I agree, The Grinder is a great show!

10. Gerald says:

Umm did anyone else get basketball on the CW last night? Buffalo area? I taped Flash and iZombie and was shocked to see basketball. Fortunately I am in Canada and could catch Flash in a later time zone on a different channel. Couldn’t get iZombie. But I thought that would have effected the ratings. Seems it didn’t…
    Agent Carter was great again. Hope the DVR numbers keep it alive again for a 3rd season.
    Muppets was good, but I didn’t get a great sense of retooling. Seemed the same to me. Piggy was just a happier pig.
    Teen Wolf was intense. Seemed very much like a part one of two for the Lydia break out.

11. Jeremy says:

No wonder Agent Carter’s ratings are so low. It’s lead-in (The Muppets) is doing abysmally in the ratings. It didn’t help the first week had a clip-show and then repeats last week.
    Does ABC not want this show to survive?

12. Chris says:

Too little too late it seems like. A good fit for Netflix maybe? But I think since most of the viewers who were turned off during the first run probably aren’t aware of the changes and don’t plan to come back.

13. b.g. says:

Izombie and the grinder are great. I like grandfathered but the grider is even better! What is wrong with the viewing public?

14. Kristina says:

Those Agent Carter ratings hurt. Like a lot.

15. Hipper says:

Wow. That’s a lot of shows not breaking 3M viewers last night. Good to see ‘Fresh Off The Boat’ did well after the break.

16. ABC made a mistake succumbing to a vocal minority by revamping the muppets.

17. b.g. says:

“what is wrong with the viewing public?” i was just joking. i know that everyone does not like the same programs.( nothing wrong with that) i can always wish that these shows will gain more viewers, so that there can be hope for additional seasons,

18. Alicia says:

Agent Carter:-( Nooooooonoo

19. e. says:

Lets be honest. The muppets isn’t ending because no one likes the muppets, the muppets are ending because aiming the muppets at young adults and taking all of the childhood mirth out of them is a hilariously bad idea. Also the only time the word Hilarious has been used to describe something involved in this show.

20. BarryFlash says:

I think this season will be it for Agent Carter. I think the first season was far superior to this season. I will watch the whole season and hope it improves.

21. Dr. M says:

People not coming back after the break isn’t a surprise. The show wasn’t very good. I think the biggest problem is ABC failed to promote that the show was being overhauled.

22. BillyBobJohnson says:

So much for Fox’s big Tuesday night comedy experiment. Let’s see if Fox does the usual Fox thing and cancels all four shows.