Muppets Kermit Denise Break Up

The Muppets 2.0: Grade Kermit and Piggy's Emotional Return to Relevancy

Say it with me: The Muppets are back! And I don’t just mean the ABC sitcom, which also returned Tuesday; I’m talking about the actual Muppets who, after some much-needed tweaking, finally resemble the classic characters we know and love.

In a clever — almost too clever — nod to The Muppets‘ behind-the-scenes changes (a new showrunner, etc.), Tuesday’s episode introduced a branding guru whose job it was so “make old things relevant.” His mission: Make Up Late With Miss Piggy more watchable.

As the episode progressed, our felted friends realized that all their show really needed — and this applies to both Up Late and The Muppets — was more of that classic Muppet zaniness, which they delivered in spades.

But I’m really here to discuss the biggest, most important development: Kermit and Denise are no more. After playing second fiddle to Kermit’s job one too many times — and finally realizing that her boyfriend still has feelings for Miss Piggy — his rebound pig decided she’d had enough.

I’ll admit, it was a little heartbreaking watching Denise oink her way out of Kermit’s life, but the satisfaction of knowing that a Kermit/Miss Piggy reunion is imminent more than made up for the tears.

Speaking of Miss Piggy, she’s no longer the cruel, unlikeable force of nature she was during the first half of the ABC comedy’s freshman season. Her “restorative” trip to Argentina changed her — but not her wardrobe — for the better. She’s still a bacon-scented, self-centered lunatic… but in a funny way.

Talk to me, Muppet Nation: Did you appreciate all the changes made to the show? Grade the episode below, then drop a comment with your full review.

1. Suso says:

So. Much. Better.

2. CMG says:

Frankly, the show didn’t need changing. ABC should’ve gotten the hint from the script, in which a clueless network exec blundered into a show that was working just fine and started meddling with it, only to find out in the end that the people at the show actually already knew what they were doing.

This felt at times very scattered, and at other times like it was trying way too hard, most notably with the Muppet Show theme being wedged in. The sketch in the show-within-a-show was painfully bad.

I’m hoping it gets back to what it was before the suits started meddling.

• anon says:

Except for the fact that numerous people (and not just random commenters online) were unhappy with the show so clearly changes were necessary.

• davey1983 says:

“Frankly, the show didn’t need changing.” — The ratings say otherwise.

One of the biggest complaints was that the first part of the season didn’t feel like the Muppets. The new show was much closer to what the old Muppets were like.

3. Matthew says:

I don’t think it felt all that different. Best scene was the impromptu playing of
    The muppet song. That made smile. The thing I thought would be gone was the testimonials and they were not. The penguin was so cute! Great uncle deadly tonight. P

4. David says:

Kermit and Piggy back together — LET’S GET THINGS STARTED! Denise was an odd character that just didn’t fit it. She was a snooze and so was Kermit. The real muppet humor and zaniness seems to be back on track … finally! The “new” Muppets was fun to watch and brought back the warmth and charm that the entire Hensen ensemble stands for. Good for ABC to make some changes especially putting Piggy and Kermit back on the right track. Looking forward to the rest of the season and for season 2!

5. Steve says:

Felt like the same show to me.

6. N says:

I Enjoy the show, and i’m glad they made the tweaks that they did. I’m just concerned that while the latest episode showed promise, i’m just not sure the overall concept of the show is built for the long haul. The muppets running a late night show is clever but Id rather just see the muppets in a different setting that is more fun, but that’s just me

• jj says:

I agree, I want more of the zany adventures but outside of bits/shorts within the show I don’t know how much of that is possible with the late night format

7. Joy says:

When are the people behind the Muppets going to stop cloning Miss Piggy already? First Annie Sue, then Spamela Hamderson, and now Denise. Jim Henson once said that that key to Miss Piggy’s success is the idea of a beautiful pig. It was an original idea that should have made Piggy the one and only. How many Cowardly Lions are there? How many Reluctant Dragons? It’s a pity that the people behind the Muppets understand so little about one of their signature character’s appeal. They’ve been effing her up for years. Disney ought to fire the lot of them and bring in people with at least a little insight. Beside, all of the clones are gross. Denise especially. That face (shudder).

As for Kermit and Miss Piggy’s relationship…are they even friends? That’s another element the Muppets’ showrunners have effed up. They never even established a friendship between the two, much less a romance, aside from the movies (and the frog is always eager to insist “It was just a movie!” etc.) How can anyone care about that anymore?

This show was badly conceived from the beginning. Making Miss Piggy a bigger bitch and Kermit a bigger jerk just displays the ineptitude behind the scenes. Stick a fork in it, it’s done.

8. Miss Piggy and Kermit are back together now? Yay! :D

9. Mr. Smith says:

This show should NEVER have been done in the first place! If they wanted to make The Muppets “relevant,” they should have taken their cues from the original show and simply remade it. That isn’t to say last night’s episode wasn’t better, because it was. The fact remains it STILL isn’t The Muppets.

10. E says:

When Miss Piggy was twerking I started dying laughing!! I have always loved the muppets and watching them as an adult with my teenager and laughing at the craziness was a nice break to my day.

11. JCPrime says:

It was the same show as always and I had no problem with the first episodes. To this day I don’t get what the problem was with them.

• Thank you. I’m tired of the whining that has occurred about the first episodes. Those were darn funny! I didn’t think they needed changing. I couldn’t even really tell a tonal change between then and now. I swear, people just need something to complain about.

• PaisleyPark says:

TOTALLY agree with you both! People are taking this show WAY too seriously and acting overly offensive. The show is hilarious, and I didn’t think it needed retooling. I didn’t notice much of a difference from last night’s epi compared to the first half of the season, which I am happy about. I’m so sad that the ratings are so low. One of the very few shows I watch on t.v…..

12. Steven says:

I don’t think Kermit and Denise broke up, I think they’re taking a break. At least I hope they are, because I don’t want him to get back together with Piggy. Call me crazy, but I sorta think that shipping Kermit/Piggy is like supporting domestic abuse.

13. NJMark says:

I liked it, but gave it a C because they kept that ridiculous “documentary” format. If this show lasts 5 seasons, are they STILL going to be making the same documentary? (Are these the same guys who followed everyone at Dunder-Mifflin around for 9 years?)

14. Liz says:

I was really happy with the changes they made to the show. I’d like to see where things go from here. If they will keep up with the sketches and musical acts, etc. The best episode in the first half of the season was when they all went out for karaoke. Seeing them sing pop songs, with strange combinations was hilarious. I kept hoping to see more of things like that. Hopefully this keeping moving forward!

15. dancmh says:

They dumbed this way the hell down. No thanks.

16. PCK1977 says:

I didn’t detect a whole lot of change between S1 and S2 but I’ve enjoyed all the episodes thus far. And why the constant crying about the way the Muppets “used to be”? I grew up with the Muppets from the early 80s till now. I like the edgier, adult scenarios from time to time. It reminds me that my beloved Muppets have personal choices and consequences to deal with as well. That ‘gay bear’ bit by Fozzie early in S1 was golden.

As for Denise/Kermit taking a break, I think that opens up some great possibilities in future episodes. But dammit, I really REALLY liked Denise.