MacGyver Pilot CBS

Pilot News: MacGyver Reboot, Drama Based on Dr. Phil Ordered at CBS

What’s old is new again at CBS: the Eye network has ordered a pilot for MacGyver, a contemporary update of the classic ABC ’80s action drama of the same name.

The potential series follows a twentysomething MacGyver as he gets recruited into a clandestine organization where he uses his knack for solving problems in unconventional ways to help prevent disasters from happening.

The project hails from writer Paul Downs Colaizzo and the original show’s executive producer Henry Winkler, with James Wan (Saw, Furious 7) slated to direct.

Additionally, CBS has picked up Bull, a drama pilot chronicling Dr. Phil McGraw’s early career as the head of one of the most prolific trial consulting services. McGraw and Paul Attanasio (House) serve as writers/EPs.

1. JG says:

Don’t need a MacGyver reboot when we got Scorpion. Better show. Fresh concept.

• Daniela says:

I guess you were never a MacGyver fan then if you don’t want to see it again. I love myself a Richard Dean Anderson even though I am quite sure he won’t be in it.

• Kathie says:

I loved MacGyver and really enjoyed the reruns last summer on Esquire network. It will be weird with anyone else in the lead. The only time I’ve seen Richard Dean Anderson in recent years is a couple
        of guest spots on Fairly Legal.
        Besides Scorpion “MacGyver-ing” things, Royal Pains has done it, too. Hank was cobbling a medical tool with stuff at hand and a teenager said, “What are you? MacGyver?” On Bones during the blizzard blackout
        when Booth and Bones were trapped in the elevator, Hodgins and others made electricity out of potatoes, just like MacGyver.

• there is a pilot with Jared Pad…(Sam Winchester) as “Young Macgyver” It never aired but it was on youtube a while back. it was macgyver as a teenager.

• prish says:

The husband liked MacGyver and does not like Scorpion, which I watch on my own. However, he does like Elementary. They should make MacGyver more like Elementary, imho, for a broader viewer range.

• Tom says:

In my house we agree, Scorpion is very MacGyver like. A MacGyver reboot could be welcomed still though.

2. Zeph says:

Should have Richard Dean Anderson as head of organization…or let new “MacGyver” actually be a Junior who learned everything from his dad so RDA can make periodic cameos in the original role….

• dragons3 says:

It’s been a long time since I saw any MacGyver episodes episodes, but wasn’t it revealed in the last season that he had a son? So that would totally work. Anything to get RDA back on my TV screen again!

• Elaine says:

The very last episode of MacGyver revealed his son and their riding into the sunset on their motorcycles. If it’s well-done, I’d love to see a MacGyver remake. I watch the old ones upon occasion on Esquire or Cloo.

3. “Bull” is good a name for anything regarding dr. quack guess censors wouldn’t let them use the second word

4. BrightLight says:

FYI: I read this headline too quickly and thought the MacGyver reboot was going to be based on Dr. Phil and that was officially the scariest thing I’ve read on this website.

5. I really enjoyed the old MacGyver series but I think it may prove challenging to reboot what has become a cultural icon, to keep it fresh without losing what made the original so special. Also very hard to replace Richard Dean Anderson as MacGyver in everyone’s mind as his charisma was very much also part of what made the show so successful. I’d suggest a change up – rather than a very young man, what about someone like Michael Ealy as a combination between MacGyver and the Equalizer, who helps everyone in his neighborhood, stands up to bullies, uses common sense and inventiveness to ‘MacGyver himself and others out of trouble’ and who comes to the attention of the agency and reluctantly gets drawn in to working with them because he just wants to help people?

6. I bet if this goes to series it will have a crossover with scorpion during the first half of season one.

7. Mr. Tran K says:

Would be great if the MacGyver reboot gets picked up as a series for CBS.

8. jay says:

No no no….not MacGyver. Leave it alone.

9. lame says:

Mcgyver, Dr.Phil, I guess there is a dearth of ideas in the industry.

10. Silv says:

Only one MacGyver, trying to shoehorn someone else into such an iconic role isn’t likely to work. Reboots almost always tarnish the shows they are trying to emulate. It was a fabulous show in its day and deserves to be remembered as such.

11. Murica! says:

MacGyver doesn’t need a reboot. MacGyver without Richard Dean Anderson is pointless. Richard Dean Anderson is MacGyver!!

12. CalebFillion says:

Simon Baker as new MacGyver. Make it happen!

13. Murica! says:

“A contemporary update”. This probably means another useless reboot with a black lead instead of a white lead. Apparently there are only white and black people.

14. SherryB says:

Please, NOT another reboot of an old show that was really good….With the exception of Hawaii-5-0, they do not make it…Ironside, Charlies Angels, Bionic Woman, Night Rider,etc…get the drift?

15. Andrea says:

I adored MacGyver! I think I could get behind this IF RDA were a part of it somehow. I realize that he couldn’t be MacGyver in this re-make, but I agree with those who have said that MacGyver is the pop culture reference that it is due in no small part to RDA. I can retcon, wink/nod, or suspend a little belief to get RDA into this. As to a worthy successor, I’d go with Adam Campbell who does an awesome job playing Young Ducky on NCIS. I’d miss Adam on NCIS, but this would be a lead role for him.