Cruel Intentions Pilot NBC

Cruel Intentions Pilot Ordered at NBC; Sequel Will Follow Sebastian's Son

Remember that Cruel Intentions sequel — yes, sequel — we told you about last year? Well, it’s officially happening on NBC.

The network on Tuesday announced that a pilot has been ordered; the drama picks up 15 years after the events of the 1999 film, which starred Sarah Michelle Gellar, Reese Witherspoon, Ryan Phillippe and Selma Blair.

Because no amount of description could do this justice, here’s the pilot’s official logline:

Cruel Intentions picks up over 15 years after the hit movie left off. It follows the beautiful and cunning Kathryn Merteuil as she vies for control of Valmont International as well as the soul of Bash Casey, the son of her brother, who was the late Sebastian Valmont, and Annette Hargrove. Upon discovering his late father’s legacy in a hidden journal, Bash is introduced to a world of sex, money, power and corruption he never could have imagined.

As you’ll recall, Annette and Sebastian were played by Witherspoon and Phillippe — though there was no mention of Annette’s pregnancy in the film, which ended with Sebastian’s death. (Sorry, forgot to say “Spoiler alert!”)

UPDATE: According to our sister site Deadline, Gellar is being eyed to reprise the role of Kathryn, though a final decision has not been made.

Your thoughts on a Cruel Intentions sequel series? Drop ’em in a comment below.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Z says:

is Sarah Michelle Gellar gonna return as Kathryn?

2. Ian says:

Well please tell me they’re reaching out to SMG for Kathryn?!

3. Ian says:

And then just imagine if they could get Reese to do cameos. And if they actually managed to capture the salaciousness of the movie, they could have a hit I say!

4. WatchNLearn says:

I’m down for this if they get Reese and SMG somehow. But that’s highly unlikely.

5. N says:

Anyone other then Sarah Michelle Gellar playing kathryn would make this pointless.

6. Rachel says:

Love it but don’t know if it’s a NBC show

• Ian says:

A 10pm NBC show, absolutely.

• Ashbash says:

I agree with you there. If this show is picking up 15 years after the movie that places the son at around 15 years old and then the show is all about sex, lies, and manipulation; this sounds more like a show for the CW instead of NBC. I don’t know if NBC could do this show justice

7. Steven says:

If SMG is not involved then neither am I.

8. Cas says:

SMG was my favorite part of this movie. It would be awesome if she reprised her role but I won’t hold my breath.

9. johnhelvete says:

Hint for NBC, if you want to get SMG to do the TV show offer to film in Los Angeles. If this is a 22 episode per year show, make her a special guest star and have her do 15-16 episodes.

10. Et al. says:

I assume the final title will be ‘Chicago Intentions’.

11. Cherry says:

I’m with the rest of the comments. Without SMG, then there’s no point. Her return as Kathryn, which has become an iconic and cult part of her career, will actually get people interested because as of now, no one cares for a sequel.

12. Scott says:

i refuse to believe Annette would name her son, Bash

13. Lisa Levin says:

The main character is only 15–that has a huge ick factor. At least make him 18.

• johnhelvete says:

They could at least make him 17 fairly easily if they were to pretend that the movie took place in 1998 instead of the release date of 1999.

14. matty says:

A pretty fantastic premise for a series, but my gut is that casting will determine the fate of this one. They’ll need some terrific actors to pull this off, and I’m not sure if NBC is the right place for this show; with all the sex that Cruel Intentions had in it. It may be a more appropriate vehicle for a cable network.

15. muslv says:

n my honest opinion Sebastian should return from the dead as many other actors have done in the past. To surprise his son and shock others who canceled him as dead. Remember there was no body just a picture. and his excuse could be that he just wanted to drop out of the life of wealth, lies, drugs, most of all destroying peoples lives. faking his death was the only way. Because eventually he would have hurt the true and only one he really loved Annette. With him out of the picture her life would be normal while the step sisters life would be destroyed as she would eventually go a way to never destroy anyone else especially the love of his life Annette. That i feel it should be played out so the son would have no regrets towards his father. I truly love the original. I am a music producer (mustowrld ) on soundcloud and would love to do a new sound track and only with some of the original charters. Expressions say a lot just expressing my self. And lived that type of life be for of wealth, lies, drugs, and played with peoples lives like puppets. I am still alive think god and have ask for forgiveness from all whom i have hurt, witch they did. We were young and stupid.

• Weezy says:

I’m loving the “Sebastian returning from the dead” angle. That would be soo cool. My guess is we might get a few flashbacks of whoever plays Sebastian via flashbacks while the son is reading the journal.

Also did anyone else think that the baby WAS mentioned in the original movie? Perhaps I’m remembering incorrectly, but I thought for some reason Annette mentions it or rubs her belly or something at the very end of the movie.

16. DonJuansRecklessDaughter says:

Guys, this could be everything Ringer promised but failed on every level. We need a nasty nighttime soap now that Revenge is off the air (as long as it’s more 1st season Revenge, please) and this could totally fit the bill. I actually love this as a concept but agree with other commenters that without Sarah Michelle Gellar, there probably won’t be much interest. I doubt she would, but really, she’s mostly focused on her lifestyle brand now and it doesn’t seem like she has much coming her way other than voice work and a guest spot.

But man, can you imagine? If SMG signed on for this, it would be huge. HUGE. Who else could play Kathryn like she can? Can we get a petition going or something?

17. Lucifer says:

Sounds interesting, but even if they can do a great job in the writing, it will be a neutered version of the movie. I wish NBC would stop trying to make ambitious, cable-style shows work when it never happens.

18. SMG doesn’t have a career anymore so she should gladly accept if they offer her the role.

19. ? says:

20. Jooshua says:

It would be hilarious if Mia Kirshner was cast as Kathryn.

21. Bark Star says:

What a waste of… everything.

22. Essie says:

It would be stupid if SMG wouldn’t play Kathryn, it that is not happening then just make the show with new characters.

23. Ruth says:

Great! Then she could make a reboot of Buffy, which would even be better. I can dream can’t I? Lol!

24. Jennifer says:

I think it will flop it will be too much for tv.

25. Annemarie says:

please pick Michelle geller it will not be the Same with out her that was my favorite movie back then and I still don’t ever get sick of it I’m sure a lot of fans would love to see her star in that show good luck

26. tsevca says:

“…there was no mention of Annette’s pregnancy in the film…” Because they were both smart enough to use a condom. It really makes sense for a girl, who wrote articles about irresponsibility of sex of teenagers, and a guy send to therapy for his frequent sex life to accidentally get pregnant after having sex once. She said with irony, by the way.