Exclusive
Gilmore Girls Revival Melissa McCarthy's Sookie

Gilmore Boss Eyes Melissa McCarthy for Revival Cameo: 'If She Has a Spare Moment, We'd Be Totally Game'

Sookie St. James, the ball’s in your court.

Gilmore Girls creator Amy Sherman-Palladino wants Melissa McCarthy back for the show’s four-part Netflix revival, even if for just a quickie guest appearance. But given the actress’ jam-packed film schedule, she’s not holding out much hope.

“She’s really f—ing busy,” Sherman Palladino acknowledges. “But the thing I have said [to her team] is, ‘Look, if Melissa is available and has an afternoon free, I’ll write her a scene. Melissa was one of us. If she has a spare moment to run over [to the set] — even if for just a cameo — we would be totally game. And if it’s a last-minute thing, I would write her in and we would figure it out. That’s the way we left it.”

But, as it stands now, the revival does not boast a storyline for Sookie, although the character’s absence will be explained. “It was a character we knew we could not count on in terms of story, because [Melissa] just simply wouldn’t have that sort of time to carve out for us,” explains AS-P. “It simply would’ve been impossible. Planning around her crazypants schedule and her movies and her this and her that and Ghostbusters… I would just be sobbing in a corner for six months. That would be my whole life. But if her people called me up and said she’s free on these particular days or would love to drop by and just be in one scene, we would put her right in.”

Note: Check back tomorrow for Part II of my exclusive interview with Sherman-Palladino (here’s Part 1). Among the hot topics touched on: Rory’s present-day love life and Netflix’s Gilmore revival rollout plan.

1. Lysh says:

I’m glad they’re trying. Maybe we should all tweet at her…or something. Not that I think that will help, but maybe she’ll feel the Sookie love.

• Ben says:

My guess is that she will WANT to find a way to be a part of this, if she can. I don’t think she needs to be convinced. I just think the reality is the stars have to align.

• David4 says:

I’m no sure how true tat is. She could come out and say “I’d love to but busy!” and she hasn’t.

• Sam says:

Yeah part of me wants to believe she’d love to…but she also really hasn’t voiced her support and shooting starts today! Maybe she wants it to be a surprise?

• Ben says:

Why would she come out and say that, though? Especially if she is trying to find a way to make it work.

• Gem says:

I hope she finds a way to do it. Sookie and Lorelai, they need to be together in the revival saying weirdly funny stuff at least once. I really hope she does.

• ? says:

My guess is she’ll be there in some form, and ASP already knows it, but wants it to be a surprise for when people watch.

2. Eileen says:

Please please Please -we need Sookie even if cameo PLEASE!!

3. jimbo says:

Where there’s a will there’s a way. I really hope they can work something out but I’m not holding my breath.

4. TJ says:

ASP’s comments sound a bit condecending to me….. her crazypants schedule? So sorry Melissa hit it big after she did your show.

• Ben says:

I think it’s just you.

• JK says:

That’s just the way Amy talks. I found it nothing but sincere. If you’ve ever watched any extras on the DVDs Amy is a straight shooter. If she didn’t want Melissa back, she would put so much explanation into it. It’s kind of like ER asking George Clooney to come back. He fit it into a hectic schedule. I think if Melissa can, she will.

• Bismark says:

Exactly. This is the way Amy talks. This is the way the show talks. God, it’s like when you meet a crazy old friend that not everybody understands and I’m like, “Welcome the frak back, it’s about goddamn awful time.” I feel like everything’s coming back to me and it’s freaking amazing.

• IR0413 says:

I really think it’s just you. I actually think it was really gracious of ASP to say all of this, recognize her hectic schedule and (in a way) try to make the fans forgive her if she doesn’t make an appearance.

To be honest, I’m not buying it – where there’s a will there’s a way. Bradley Cooper gave Wet Hot American Summer a day to film – I’m pretty sure if he can do that, she can do the same for GG. I’ve just NEVER felt the Gilmore love from her since the show ended. She never mentions it, and when it comes up, it seems like she wants to change the subject. We get that you’re a movie star now, but she must know how important the show and the character are to the fans. It really, really does not sit well with me.

Every other GG actor has spoken of Gilmore and ASP fondly – every single one of them mentions it and seems proud of it. The least she could do, if she doesn’t make it on the revival, is tweet or release a statement about how she’s sorry she missed it or something. Honestly, anything positive from her at this point would make us feel better.

• Brigid says:

I think that it’s just you. You just did the same thing about Melissa that you corrected another for ASP. She doesn’t have to say anything about Gilmore Girls unless asked. She is filming something right now that she is under contract for so unless they are filming next door to each other, give her a break.

• IR0413 says:

Disclaimer: We don’t know how this will turn out yet. It’s possible she does do a cameo or whatever and all this chatter was for naught.

But if she chooses to remain out of it because of her “schedule,” then I expect her to at least address the revival in some public manner and for once, say something supportive of the show and former cast mates. That’s not crazy.

Just speaking on facts – what happens with all that time that she won’t be filming Mike and Molly? The cancellation was just announced and I think GG will be filmed starting today until the end of June. There’s not one day between now and then when she can drive to the WB lot in Burbank? Considering she lives in LA already? My point is – if she REALLY wanted to do it, she would find a way. Like Bradley Cooper did.

Props to ASP for being so cool about it, but as fans we’re allowed to be upset if she doesn’t show up and never mentions it again. I don’t wish her poorly, and I don’t want her career to be ruined. But I am waiting to see how she responds to this revival – and then I will decide whether or not I can still call myself a fan of hers.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Production on MIKE & MOLLY Season 6 was always supposed to end when it did, 13 episodes only — regardless of renewal or not. So she likely scheduled herself for film promos and what not expecting to be free once Ep 13 wrapped.

• IR0413 says:

Matt – I understand that they wouldn’t be filming M&M right now anyway, I’ve always understood that. But when would the next season have started filming? You think she already booked all of that time with new appearances/projects?

Even so, none of these arguments convince me that she wouldn’t have a single day to spare to make a cameo. And nothing negates the fact that many GG fans just want her to show some recognition of the fact that the show existed and it was great. She literally does not mention it.

Like I said – we don’t know what will happen, and this could be a pointless conversation. But fans have been hurt by her lack of enthusiasm since before this revival became a reality, and her silence on the matter isn’t helping.

5. Drew says:

They could always just have a scene where Lorelai is video chatting with her. That way, Melissa could do the scene from wherever she happens to be in the world.

6. forg says:

Make it happen Melissa!

7. Lo says:

Sad but not surprising. I’m glad they didn’t tease us, though. Now, on to Jess…

8. forg says:

Melissa has two movies this year Boss out in April and Ghosbusters in summer. Mike and Molly filming just wrapped so she’ll probably be busy with Boss promo since she co-wrote and produced that movie, she already has SNL booked up as well. I really hope she can find time for this. But reality is she earned like 23M last year, third highest among actresses (behind Jennifer Lawrence and Scarlett Johanson), she has a clothing line now, she’s not our Sookie anymore :( I would be so happy if she can make it

• David4 says:

She hasn’t been Sookie in a long time, now she just plays the same dumb character every movie.

• forg says:

Spy was different and she was great in it. Tammy yeah that was not good. She was fun in The Heat although too much swearing. Identify Thief is not that good but she had one great scene there where she showed the humanity of her character.
        She’s also great in St. Vincent

But Sookie is so different and fun. I hope we see her

9. Nicole says:

Maybe we should all start a go fund me account!!

10. Gertrude says:

Hasn’t the cancellation of Mike and Molly just freed up a whole lot of her time?

• forg says:

She has a movie coming up Boss which she produced and co-wrote (and her husband directing), it’s out on April, she’ll probably do some promo stuff there. Maybe those were scheduled after Mike & Molly shooting ended this week. And that’s what we only know, she still has stuff to probably with Ghostbusters and I read her production company is also developing shows for pilot season (and she has her clothing line), she is indeed busy

11. Joel Maurice says:

I love Melissa McCarthy and I hope she does it solely for her reputation. I feel like a lot of talk about the cancelation of Mike and Molly was about her not wanting to do it anymore and how she has become a diva on set. I think if she does this it will be a nod to her roots that she clearly has grown out of and well beyond and will let some of her haters let up for a little bit.

• forg says:

Articles never said so, but yes if you read the comments on those articles, you will see pointing out that she may not want to do it. Comes with the territory now that she’s so successful. And this will probably add fuel to the fire. Maybe she does not care, maybe she does, we may never know but people will judge her for sure

12. Diz says:

No one is that busy.

13. Mrs. Kim says:

She can say yes to every POS script that’s handed to her but she can’t find time to film one scene for her best role to date? Get outta here.

14. JosiahBartlet4President says:

Pretty, pretty please!!

15. Simone says:

It’s a real shame but I’m very interested in how they’ll explain her absence. I wonder how different Lorelai will be without her best friend ( and sounding board) too

16. jj says:

I really really hope she makes a cameo

17. ninamags says:

Just hope this doesn’t turn out to be like what happened to Michael Rosenbaum when he said he wouldn’t return to the finale of Smallville. He got so much hate everywhere that he just bit the bullet and did it.

MM hasn’t said she wouldn’t do it but she’s had no response at all so far.

18. Vamanos says:

If the lead writer of Empire can make time, Melissa definitely should.
    I meant wth?

19. Lerbert says:

Love the show and I can’t wait for the reboot. These interviews are exciting! It would be great to see Sookie *but* I don’t think Melissa McCarthy “owes” anything to Gilmore Girls. It wasn’t her break-out role. From reading between the lines all these years it does seem like the set wasn’t a great work environment for everyone involved. How many of us would get excited to go back to our old jobs that we didn’t really enjoy?

• Liz says:

Maybe, but the show DID give her work for many years! So YES, I think she owes it, to the fans at least, if not to her ex co-workers.
      In fact, I think it is a shame she has not said anything at all about the return of the show. EVERYONE who was on that show was happy, did the panel etc… But nothing from her. Nice.

20. Weezy says:

I’m just sooo sick of PR speak. Do you guys think it’s really the “busy schedule” or that Melissa is big dogging them? I’ve seen reports of former friends/etc. stating that Melissa has essentially forgotten where she comes from (IE struggling to make it in the business). It seems to be that Amy is really the one Melissa should be thanking for her career, as she would’ve had a tough time making it onto TV without her (IE Amy had to really go to bat to get her cast in the show). I think if she doesn’t show up in the revival (maybe they are just keeping it under raps?) then that tells me everything I need to know about Melissa McCarthy. I like her alot, but I don’t respect people who forget where they came from and who helped them along the way.

21. Liz says:

So she has NO excuse not to do it!

22. misery chick says:

I was extremely moved yesterday when reading Michael’s interview with Kelly Bishop. What an INCREDIBLE CLASS ACT. Her husband is very ill, she wants to spend as much time as she can with him, YET she’s arranged a way to have him taken care of while she’s filming GG. I’m not saying that I could be as strong as Ms. Bishop and make the same choice in the same situation… ALSO, I know it’s unfair to compare Melissa vs. Kelly, but considering MM wouldn’t HAVE a career if not for ASP, and that KB had/has/will have an incredible career in addition to GG…really puts it in to perspective for me. I can see why her schedule may be too crazy for a role, but ONE ten-minute video chat with Lorelai?
    C’MON!!!
    And the fact that she has said not. one. word. shows me what is important to her. Sad shame. Melissa isn’t Sookie, nor a relatable human being.

Of course, if her silence ends up being because she IS in the revival, I say “Sorry, Melissa! No hard feelings 😆”

23. Hb says:

So disappointing. I would never have known or been interested in Melissa McCarthy WITHOUT Gilmore Girls. Seriously. I watch all of her stuff solely because she played Sookie. Otherwise? Doubtful. Her movies aren’t that great aside from Bridesmaids forever ago and M&M? Lame.

I guess there’s no such thing as paying homage to the people that paved the way for your success (which GG and its fans no doubt did).

24. Becky says:

It won’t be the same without Melissa (Sookie)! She was Lorelai’s best friend and business partner. It is going to be hard enough without seeing Ed (Richard) and now Sookie, too!

25. Lish says:

Amy apparently thought Melissa didn’t have time to be fully a part of the revival so she never wrote anything for her. Seems like it was assumed… Amy has only asked Melissa back for a quick appearance, a cameo-appearance or just one scene, so I read. Based on Melissa’s tweet, time wasn’t an issue, she just wants to be really part of the revival, like she should be. Is Amy only willing to give Sookie as little attention as possible?

How about we ask Amy to write a real story about Sookie, small as it might be. This way we’ll know if Melissa truly can’t make it or isn’t willing to AND we’ll know how committed Amy is of bringing Sookie back for us. Given that she’s Lorelai’s best friend and a huge part of the show! We want more than a quick shot of Sookie in the revival, right?! Let’s ask for more Sookie so that there will be an offer on the table that’s really something everybody wants! Hopefully there will be willingness of making that work.

26. forg says:

I hope the issue with Melissa will work out soon, hate to see something negative on such good news for us fans. And we all want the key players to come back again.

27. Leannel says:

She just assumed? Never actually put in a formal request? Sounds to me like there’s only room for one diva in the room. Jealous much, ladies?

28. Barbara says:

Please, please tell Melissa we want, need Sookie to come back. It will NOT be the same without her. We need our Sookie.

29. miya says:

Socki it wont be the same with out her in the new episode’s . I knew she has a great career now and a hit tv show but she will always be socki to me .

30. Allee says:

Saying MM now, after people are upset about it, has an open invitation is different than saying she was invited in the first place. I can see her feeling like she has grown past taking a backhanded, last minute invite. She was a lead on the show and shouldn’t have been an afterthought.

31. CharlieChap says:

I think even if they Skyped her and just filmed Melissa via long distance it would be great! It’d even be funny to have her in a Town Meeting or something with her asking Jackson to hold her higher to see or hear or something and her waving to everyone. It’d just fit for the show I think and it’s not impossible to do either, probably easier than it sounds.