Chicago Med Renewed

Law & Order: SVU Renewed for Season 18; Chicago Med Nabs Season 2

Dick Wolf’s empire remains intact at NBC.

The network on Monday announced the renewals of fledgeling drama Chicago Med and the long-running Law & Order: SVU (now in its 17th season).

The renewals come as part of the extension of Wolf’s overall deal with NBC.

SVU opened its 17th season with 8.3 mil and a 1.8, and since then has averaged 7.2 mil/1.7, hitting a 14-month demo high on Jan. 13. Meanwhile, Chicago Med premiered in November to 8.6 million total viewers and a 2.2 demo rating, and season-to-date has averaged 8.4 mil/1.9.

Your thoughts on this dual-renewal news? Drop ’em in a comment below.

1. Han says:

YAY! SVU has beem renewed . Love the show =)

• Sam says:

I know, I couldn’t be happier! I’m hopeful that Bob Greenblatt will let SVU break the record held by Gunsmoke that the complete A-hole Jeff Gaspin wouldn’t allow the mothership to do. Law & Order ended after 20 seasons. With 21 seasons, it would have been the longest running drama series ever. Dick Wolf and Bob Greenblatt have a great relationship, so here’s to hoping!

• Melissa says:

Best show EVER. (:

2. Dave says:

Good God. Why? No. MORE. Damn. Chicago. They are all terrible. All of them. And now the possibility of a law version? Blech. They should just schedule all 3 current Chicago shows on a Friday night when no one really cares and give the better hours of tv (Tue and Wed nights) to QUALITY programming. You hear that, NBC? Go for QUALITY.

• Dean says:

now now mind your blood pressure.

• rcb918 says:

While I know you likely won’t listen, you do know how television works, correct? The networks renew shows that get good ratings, which mean people watch them. You may abhor the Chicago shows, but people watch them, so NBC renews them. Maybe you need to track down every viewer of the Chicago shows and convince them to stop watching. Then maybe NBC will cancel them.

• Joyce Smith says:

Perhaps, but SVU has been down in ratings for the last few years. Christoper Meloni was smart to leave.

• JC says:

EVERY show is down in ratings the last few years. SVU is still one of the top performers for NBC. That’s all that matters.

• 'A' Is Alive says:

Lol like JC said, all shows on TV have been down in ratings. Streaming is quite popular nowadays. Also, if you look at NBC’s slate SVU is still one of the tops performers. That’s why they continue to renew it.

• ANDRE says:

i agree, but me personally love law and order and the chicago shows, so to the people that don’t like them, i got three words for ya!!! STOP WATCHING THEM

• Troy says:

I hear that….if it wasn’t a GREAT Show it wouldn’t be renewed for season 18 if u don’t like it, then don’t watch it. I’m SO addicted to this show I think there is something wrong with me…lol Can’t wait to see every episode next season

• Kathie says:

Don’t know exactly what you consider “quality”.I watch Chicago Fire and Med and love both of them. I’ll start watching PD when they get rid of dirty cop, Voight, and put Dawson in charge.
      I agree, there are not a lot quality new shows on now or coming soon. I’m turned off by the previews–too violent and sordid. Now Rizzoli and Isles is soon to be gone. Eventually, I’ll have to rely on Netflix exclusively for TV shows..I still watch:
      Mon. Scorpion, NCIS LA and Castle
      Tues. NCIS and NCIS NO, Chicago Med and Fire
      Weds. Nashville (not back till March, Code Black
      Thurs. Bones-newly back to it after not watching the last few episodes last season with the stupid story line of Booth back to gambling.
      Fri. Hawaii 50 and Blue Bloods, the Nat Geo family of channels, History, Smithsonian and others. There are still quality shows out there, but getting scarcer on Network TV.
      Eventually, i will watch Downton Abbey and Reign on Netflix from their beginnings. I am so glad Netflix picked up Longmire last year–definitely quality.

• Nancy says:

Don’t forget COLONY on Thurs. night 10 p.m. USA It is awesome!!

• DB says:

If you’re willing to give PD a try without Voight, you might want to give a watch with him. The character is much more compelling than the Chicago Fire intro made him. I was “iffy” on the character at first, but came around on him within the first few episodes. I think you’ll find him to be a decently “layered” character.

• Meg Tomlinson-Giedd says:

I actually record all the chicago shows and I still love SVU though I stopped watching for a couple of seasons and Catching up on ION. Plus I like to re-see the ones I watched years ago. PLUS ION started at the beginning.. Where as USA jumps all around and keeps showing the same ones.. I appreciate Dick Wolf’s vision.. I watch pretty much the same shows you do. Castle is definitely ABC best show.

• Will says:

Hm, maybe it’s because I actually watch it…well, 2 of the 3. Oh, and calm the F down. LOL

• David4 says:

I don’t watch any of them, it’s very simple, you just don’t watch it if you don’t want to.

• Lou says:

Chicago Med is a great show. Don’t like the show, then don’t watch it! Bye hater!

• donholley77 says:

Dave, I’m a native of Chicago, I’m thrilled that my city is FINALLY represented by some GOOD TV! You can always watch the NCIS Shows that also air on Mondays & Tuesdays nights! Not too many of them around! LOL

• Roberta says:

I do not agree. Like them all.

• Sydney Shoter says:

look her, I am just a 12 year old girl who reallllllyyyyy lloovvee’ssss this show so there for I want it to keep on going #can’tlivewithout.

3. Dean says:

All 3 Chicago shows have been renewed. Pretty sure that Dave guy is having a stroke right now.

4. Tori Coop says:

NBC needs to come up with some new drama. SVU needs to be disappeared and forgotten forevermore.

• Jeff says:

Your opinion! …. I think that you have got to be young. This show has been through and done it all. Show some respect for what they have accomplished. All of these shows were great. I hope that svu finally takes out gunsmoke. That was the longest running show because their market was not very big. These days it is much more challenging to stay on the networks. Come on svu make it to 21!

• Melissa says:

STRONGLY disagree. (;

5. Phillip says:

Yay SVU!!!!

6. Maron Thorne says:

Couldn’t be more thrilled! Quality television!

7. Peter Allan Ker says:

I hope this is Law & Order: SVU’s Last Season.

8. JEF says:

Wish Chris Meloni would come back!

9. Cody says:

Love Chicago Med, so glad it was renewed – not surprised, but happy with the news!

10. Zoe says:

So psyched about SVU!

11. Ted Witek says:

Love both shows! Out LuLu from GH. IS IN CHICAGO MED!

12. wrstlgirl says:

WhooHooo go MED!!!

13. Nan says:

I love SUV and am so happy it is being renewed but please tell me why you chose to use a picture of Danny Pino (Detective Amaro)?? He is one of my favorites and he is no longer on the show. You got my hopes up when I saw the pic.

14. Carole Pucci says:

I watch Chicago Med, Chicago Fire and Chicago PD. Love them all.

15. Bill says:

Great news on both fronts. Tommy Merlyn lives!!!

16. Jim J. says:

I’ve stated it before, and I’ll state it again: “Law & Order: Special Victims Unit” is the “The Simpsons” of NBC. Will its renewal today be bad news for “Chicago Law”?

17. Dolores says:

Yay SUV but C Med sucks. The acting is so fake, especially the guy in the photo.

18. Joyce Smith says:

Oh goody! More ‘nearly’ rapes of Olivia Benson. I am sick of this show. 18 years is too long for any series to run. Dick Wolf can go with it. Blah!

19. prish says:

The husband says,”SVU lost something when she no longer has a cohesive partner. Nick was the best, but it got too much with his soap opera life. She’s in too much a leadership position, now. The whole dynamic is she’s just an authority. Fin should have been the Sgt if she’s the Lt. Instead they bring in the son of the big boss.”

• Sheila says:

The main thing is that since Stabler left it’s been The Benson Show. Too much about her boring personal life!

• 'A' Is Alive says:

When Stabler was on the show, his family life also dictated the show. Go back and rewatch, Benson’s personal life always came second. Everyone else had little to none about their personal lives. Now, it’s Benson getting that shine with others like Rollins and Amuro (who’s now gone) getting stories.

20. Broadwayfan says:

I saw LAW in my email posting. I was afraid to open the email. I have been prepared for SVU to end. But, I’m very happy to know it will be back.

21. Morris Brown says:

Worse pos on tv…way past it’s prime and the actors suck!

22. Morris Brown says:

Way past time for this show to be sent to the bone yard.

23. Mr. Tran K says:

No official word yet on the status of both Mysteries of Laura and Grimm as does Undateable which wrapped up their season last Friday.

24. JosiahBartlet4President says:

I can’t stand when shows stay around this long because they’re never up to the quality they were in their prime.

25. Jess says:

So glad they renewed Chicago Med. It’s a great show

26. Mary S says:

I saw 4 series listed in the Gallery as coming to ABC-the Absent Brain Cells network- NOT ONE of which holds any interest for me at all. They cancelled an amazingly engaging, endearing show called FOREVER and they think we will watch any of these loser-sounding shows?
    Nope. I will not again become involved with new characters until they are renewed for at least the second season…though, I doubt that any of the described shows will make it that far!
    They just need to bring back FOREVER, put it in a good timeslot, and watch the ratings grow!

27. danoregon says:

I don’t think it was a coincidence they were renewed together. Figure Wolf might have given NBC a better deal for both than he would just SVU.

28. Lydia Green says:

I love SVU and now enjoying Chicago Med and hope it don’t be cancel

29. Lydia Green says:

I love SVU and have been enjoying Chicago Med, which I hope will not be cancel.

30. Mark says:

Happy for SUV but they need to stop these stupid crossovers Chicago, once was okay but no more

31. Walkie says:

More Oliver Platt is always a good thing. Glad Chicago Med got renewed. It’s got potential.

32. I love both of these shows. I am very glad they were renewed.

33. donholley77 says:

As I just said to our friend Dave, as a native Chicagoan, I’m thrilled that we finally have some good Tv in & about our City! Fire & PD keep getting better & better! ‘Med is the best new show in a bad season; Can’t wait for ‘Chicago Law’!

34. Susan says:

YAY!!!! I love both shows!!!!! Have watched every episode of SUV too many times to count and never get tired of it!!!!

35. Leanne says:

Glad they renewed Chicago. They all are great. long with Blacklist best shows on TV. Liked SVU too but none as good as the original L&O

36. JB Smooove says:

im still burnt, STILL burnt, that they let L&O mothership go. What have we gotten out of that NBC??? The slap? other crap that was so crappy that I cannot even remember the show names?

37. Linda says:

Love svu..watch it all the time..and the repeats too!..

Love Chicago pd..and Chicago Fire watch every week…
    Chicago med is good too.

38. I like law and order, what happened to the lady lawyer Freema? I liked her better. Shirley Beaumont

39. Roberta says:

Great !

40. Lydia Green says:

I am glad to hear that, I can watch all three all day.

41. laurie baldridge says:

just wanted to say so very happy on SVU being renewed!!!!!! really like the show now. Was getting bored with it back when it was all about Olivia and Elliot.

42. FlaGuy954 says:

Both are great shows; glad they’ve been renewed. Next, what’s needed is a real reunion on SVU with Benson and Stabler, not just the reunion of Meloni and Hargitay.

43. Rae Mason says:

great love the show have been a fa since Law and Order the original-

44. Steve Holtzer says:

L&O SVU, It’s great that It’s coming back,also Chicago Med,Chicago Fire,Chicago PD,Also great entertainment!!!!!!!!!!

45. Susan says:

Now bring back Chris Meloni!

46. AMCB says:

When I see someone ask the cancellation of SVU already know that these are the Meloni fans. The actor thought that after his departure, the show would not survive. His most ardent fans, do not conform to its output. But it’s been five years and the show remains strong. The truth is that SVU remains excellent, the new cast is fantastic, and Mariska is simply fabulous. It is like wine: the more time passes, the better it is. Meanwhile, Meloni only makes film B, appears as an adjunct in some series and the series starring was canceled after 10 episodes. I hope he does not come back to SVU. The series does not need him. Actor ganacioso.

Sorry, for my English.

47. Nancy P says:

Chicago Med is by far the worst show of all the Law and Order and Chicago shows. Chicago Fire and Chicago PD have great casts, story lines and characters. Chicago Med couldn’t be more boring, and I can’t remember a show that I cared any less about the characters or stories. It’s so stupid it’s amazing to me that this show comes from the same creator, Dick Wolf, as the others. Must be different writers, or a very bland cast that make the difference.

48. Leanne says:

Good. All Chicago shows are great. Keep me coming

49. Donna says:

Never heard of chicago meds. I absolutely love Law &Order SUVI just wish we still had Stabler (Chris Meloni) him and Mariska made the show awesome. Without him itis missing something. Please bring him back and I guarantee you will easily reach 20yrs.

50. Donna says:

Bring Stabler back and you will be here for a 20th season. I love this show but it is missing Stabler. Love that hardnose. They, Mariska, compliment each other. I want to see 2 more seasons for sure. Love it!!!!