Grease Live Ratings

Ratings: Grease: Live Beats The Wiz, Rivals Sound of Music in Demo

Grease: Live didn’t soar nearly as high as The Sound of Music, but it walloped The Wiz, based on Nielsen fast nationals.

Fox’s three-hour live performance drew 12.2 million total viewers and a 4.3 demo rating on Sunday night, besting NBC’s The Wiz (11.5 mil/3.4) on both counts. Compared to NBC’s The Sound of Music Live, which did a boffo 18.6 mil/4.6 in December 2013, Grease was off just 6 percent in the demo — yet rated 23 percent better than the Carrie Underwood-starrer with Teens.

NBC’s Peter Pan Live (December 2014) now places a distant fourth with 9.2 million viewers and a 2.4 rating.

In Monday morning’s metered market results, Grease Live woke up to a 7.4/11 primetime average, putting it on par with The Wiz’s 7.9/13 but well shy of SOML’s 10.9/18 .

Fun fact: 61 percent of TVLine readers predicted that Grease would outdraw both Peter Pan and The Wiz. If you were among them, give yourself a pat on the back and 25 TVLine Power User Points (no cash value).

Elsewhere in the ratings….

ABC | Galavant (2.2 mil/0.6) ticked up with its Season 2 finale, to a best-since-premiere rating.

CBS | Madam Secretary (10.1 mil/1.1) fell 15 and 45 percent from its most recent, NFL-boosted outing. Similarly, The Good Wife (8 mil/1.0) was down 11 and 29 percent. CSI: Cyber however was steady, with 6.7 mil/1.0

NBC | American Ninja Warrior: USA vs. The World did 4.5 mil and a 1.4.

Want scoop on any of the above shows? Email and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Alex says:

Definitely didn’t rival in how good the production was. Vanessa stood out in acting and singing. Aaron was miscast and Julianne does not have a strong enough singin voice or charisma for Sandy.

• Carmen L Mercado says:

I don’t know what you were watching because these performers were awesome.

• Mary says:

I’m with Alex on this one. Vanessa was great – Julianne voice was weak but passable. The one cast as Danny was the weak link. I will say the show was enjoyable but not a 10.

• PaisleyPark says:

A 10?!?! There is no way anyone can TRULY say this production deserves a 10. That’s giving it a perfect score, and this production was not a perfect score. Good, sure. Perfect, no

• Piers says:

ITA Aaron was badly miscast. For me all of the T-Birds were a disappointment. They all seemed weak and unconvincing. Musically, the biggest fail was Boyz II men replacing a solo singer as Teen Angel. Their extra off key runs messed up one of my fave songs from this show.

• Mika02 says:

Totally agree

• Jenny says:

Sandy is kind of blah and plain as a character. And Julianne nailed it.

Only one I would say that didn’t pull through yet it was ok, is the guy cast as Danny. Ok performance but travolta has a different style

2. Carmen L Mercado says:

I loved loved the performance. Everyone was awesome. All the actors went well together. I give it a 10 out of 10.

3. noochiect says:

The production aspect was amazing…especially with the rain! They’re all light weights compared to Travolta and Newton John, but it was still very well done and totally enjoyable.

4. SherryB says:

30 minutes in and I turned the channel….Not a fan…

• Carmen L Mercado says:

I don’t know what you were watching because these performers were awesome.

• Rob says:

Agree, misHough is sooo over rated> Stopped watching DWTS because of and her privileged bro!

• PaisleyPark says:

Oh lord. While I agree that Julianne didn’t knock her Sandy performance out of the park, the girl is/was THE best dancer on DWTS and Derek is THE best male pro! They both are AMAZING on the dance floor.

• Gage says:

She can’t act and her singing voice is weak. She ain’t no triple threat, that people think she is.

5. Kidwynn says:

I turned the channel as well after about 30 minutes and watched Galavant. Those musical numbers were more entertaining.

6. Phun says:

Congratulations to the cast and crew for a job well done! WOW!

7. funnibone31 says:

while i enjoyed the production and it was fun and I thought the acting was fine…the dialogue just felt rushed to me…idk

8. Crystal says:

I think Vanessa stole the show, her performance was absolutely outstanding. Her professionalism was astounding seeing that she just lost her dad to the horrible disease that is cancer.

The supporting characters were amazing too! I wasn’t expecting to enjoy this, but it was amazing! They did a great job! I enjoyed it!

9. Brooklyngirl says:

It was good – a cast of thousands and I knew 5! Guess I have to get out more! LOL!

10. CK says:

It was a great production, with a few oddities. The technical aspects were out of this world and definitely raised the bar for other live productions. There were some stellar performances, though none lived up to the best of The Wiz in my opinion, but I thought the leads were terribly miscast and lacked chemistry to the detriment of the story. The supporting characters easily stole the show and completely overshadowed the Danny/Sandy love story that just plodded along and hit every beat. That’s not to say that Aaron Tveit or Hough are bad actors or singers. It happens in musical theater all the time.

11. wrstlgirl says:

Vanessa definitely stood out from the rest of the pack. I was a bit disappointed with Aaron. For one I found his hair very distracting and he looked much older than the rest of “high schoolers”. Still love him though. And Hough’s singing was just not good. Other than that she was okay.

12. Drew says:

It was a great show. The cast did an amazing job. Production value was great. It definitely deserves to get some recognition.
    Also, it was quite a diverse cast, which was nice (unlike The Wiz).

13. Jared says:

Grease Live was probably my favorite of the musicals so far to air on TV. The cast was amazing and Vanessa Hudgens is just a superstar.

14. KC says:

How can anyone say this was “awesome”? At best, it was just OK. No better than a high school show.

15. Chrissy says:

I try not to get my hopes too high because I don’t want to be let down when it comes to shows like this. I’m a huge musical fan, and though Grease isn’t my favorite musical, I was cautiously optimistic to watch. Happy to say it exceeded my expectations! I thought the roles were cast pretty well, especially Vanessa as Rizzo, Ana as the principal, and the t-bird with the glasses (don’t know his name, but WOW!). Aaron and Julianne did a good job, too, though I think Aaron was much much better in the Les Mis movie. The production value, though; My goodness, was that fantastic! Everything just seamlessly flowed! Question, though. Was more of the production supposed to take place outside but had to be moved because of the rain? It just kind of seemed that way. Overall, I greatly enjoyed it!

16. Kim R says:

It was an amazing production! I enjoyed it from beginning to end and felt they all shone in their parts, including Ana Gasteyer as the principle. She was fantastic! And I had no idea that was Eve Plumb playing Mrs. Murdock. :) I can’t say enough good things!

17. Gerri says:

This was way better than any of the other live shows put on TV even if the ratings don’t show it. Aaron and Julianne were both great (They did have tough shoes to fill), Vanessa and Carly Rae were perfectly cast. Camera guys who shot this were fantastic. Bravo.

18. Murica! says:

It was just OK. Vanessa was outstanding though, but the rest of the cast were not very good. Aaron was ok, but Julianne was bad.

19. Gail says:

A new production of a much loved film will never seem as good as the original film . Better they should stick to a musical that was never made into a film or was made into a less successful film like “The Wiz”. Grease was really a live version of the movie rather than the Broadway original. It was a Paramount Production. They made the film. I am sure it was difficult to pull off and they did a great job but its not the film . Say all you want knocking the NBC live shows but they have stayed close to the Broadway source material and have not tried to recreate a film live like Grease did.

20. becky says:

Considering this was a live production moving across a huge campus, with rain in the mix, I’d say it was WAY superior to Sound of Music (which I admit I didn’t finish because it was so boring to me). Live musicals don’t always allow for developing characters like movies do, but I think everyone did really well. Vanessa’s solo was outstanding.

21. Maria says:

Great! My daughter and i enjoyed the show. Grease Live broke the routine of boring Sunday shows.

22. Mika02 says:

The Wiz Production was flawless. Grease not so much. While The Wiz cast worked well as a whole throughout the entire show I felt only the supporting cast shined last night while the two leads only picked up their performance at the end. I will say I enjoyed it though all in all.

23. Barbara Whittinghill says:

the show was super. enjoyed the whole show.

24. LT says:

Sorry haters…that was a MASSIVE production and it was INCREDIBLE!!! KUDOS ALL AROUND!!!

25. PaisleyPark says:

I thought it was a good production. Amazing, Wow!, Excellent… Lol. I honestly think most people are claiming it to be “amazing” more so because of the simple joy of hearing the songs/seeing the dances you associate with the excellent movie. It’s the whole nostalgia thing.

Having said that, I did think most of the actors did a good job. I have never heard of Aaron, and I bought him as Danny, as I did Vanessa as Rizzo. Those two were the best, in my opinion. Vanessa’s acting was spot-on, but what I’m not quite understanding are the rave reviews over her “There Are Worse Things I Could Do” solo. I LOVE that song and it was nowhere near as good as Stockard Channing sung it in the movie. Vanessa sung it fine, sure…but, again, it wasn’t out of this world like everyone’s going on and on about. Vanessa’s voice isn’t some power house, so I’m just confused about why that performance is being hyped at the level it is.

I love my girl Julianne. She kicks butt like nobody’s business when it comes to dancing! However, I don’t think she did that great in her portrayal of Sandy, unfortunately. I mean, yeah, Sandy is supposed to be innocent and pure, but she played it TOO innocent and pure. Lol. Olivia’s Sandy just didn’t seem to be THAT saccharine. And I also felt that Sandy in last night’s production seemed to get lost in the crowd, meaning for long periods of time during the production she wasn’t even the focal point. Like you forgot she was even the lead character because she wasn’t on screen! That was just odd to me.

The movie “Grease” is a classic and nothing will ever match the greatness that it is. Still, I think the gang did a good job with the live production and brought smiles to viewers’ faces because of the fondness we all hold for the movie. I give it like a B-.

26. Rick L says:

Julianne was my only disappointment. There were times I could hardly hear what she was saying and her singing voice was weak. Other than that, GREASE was the best live performance I’ve seen!

27. Kate says:

I thought it was the best of the four live musicals so far, both in casting and in production values. Aaron is a tad too old for the role, as others have pointed out, but his gorgeous Broadway voice and charisma more than made up for it. I was pleasantly surprised by Julianne, and Vanessa was the standout of the night for sure. I was grinning ear to ear for most of the three hours- this really raised the bar!

• ScottJ says:

People complained after some of the other “lives” because they didn’t use Broadway artists. This time they cast a major Broadway star as Danny, and people still complain – although it seems a lot of it is simply sour grapes because they didn’t know who he is. If he was too old and mis-cast then so was everyone on the show. You do not get very often get teens playing teens in shows Its too much of a problem. At least Grease took all the main characters to similar relative ages. Travolta was in his mid 20s and Newton-John was 30 when they did the film, and no-one complained about that.

• Kate says:

Precisely. I’ve been a fan of Aaron’s for six or seven years, and I thought it was a fantastic choice to use a blend of pop stars and more stage-y talent for the cast. Honestly, I like when Grease uses older-ish (by which I mean mid 20s/early 30s) actors because that exaggerates the satirical humor of the show.

28. George says:

It was a big huge fun time!! Wow!!! Amazed at the production. I did not see a weakness. Venessa should win an award for that performance. Actually she will.

29. Boiler says:

I’d take Mme. Secretary’s viewer numbers anytime. Time to start treating the real popular shows better

30. Vicki Fernandez says:

Grease missed out in the South Florida market. Feud between ATT and the local Fox Affiliate kept ATT subscribers from watching the show. In fact Fox has been blacked-out going on 3 weeks now. Sad.

31. Mary-Rose says:

For a number of reasons, I totally missed Grease. Are they going to replay it?

32. Leanne says:

I thought Aaron, Vanessa and Julianne were good and cast very well. Diverse unlike the Wiz which I refused to watch. ( diversity is a 2 way road). Good show for being on a stage.

33. Jennie Clark says:

Julianne was fabulous! Vanessa was fabulous! The rest were just okay but I loved this version of the best movie ever made!!!