Galavant Season 2 Finale Recap: Hopelessly Devoted to D'DEW

ABC’s Galavant wrapped its sophomore staging this Sunday with a war involving not three but four armies, a bit of dark (dark) magic and, when all was said and done, happy endings for some of the heroes.

The closer opened with Chef and Gwynne’s idyllic life in a tiny hovel disrupted as they realized they lived smack dab at the conversion of the three warring armies, from Valencia, Hortensia (wielding pots and pans but no whisks, please) and the zombie horde under Galavant and Richard’s purview.

Gareth meanwhile was disappointed to discover that Madalena wanted the two of them (and Wormwood) to simply observe his “birthday” war from a “luxury skybox.” Eventually, though, Gareth followed his gut and entered the fray, where he was reunited with (and summarily got walloped by) Richard. Similarly, Isabella whaled on Galavant upon laying eyes on him, what with him wishing her to die in a fart  and all. Soon enough, it was “bygones” for everyone, but the truces were interrupted by Madalena unleashing her D’DEW magic, which sicced the zombies on, well, pretty much everyone.

After Gal, Richard, Isabella and Gareth just barely barricaded themselves inside Hortensia’s walls, Madalena paid a visit to warn them of imminent defeat.Galavant Yet when she beseeched her king to leave with her, Gareth firmly declined, visibly breaking what was left of the ice queen’s heart.

Episode 2 opened with the wonderful number that Timothy Omundson told us about, in which Richard dueted with his younger self, lamenting their sad lot in life. With that finished and doom knock-knocking on their door, Sid arrived on the scene with an army of his own, cobbled together from Enchanted Forest beefcakes, giants, dwarves and Princess Jubilee’s posse — though, Sid explained, the budget prohibited including any of the recognizable guest actors.

Mad’s magic trapped Galavant and Gareth inside Hortensia, but Richard and Isabella escaped to face off against Wormwood and the increasingly evil queen, respectively. Wielding the sword of the One True King to Unite Them All — and motivated by the seeming death of Tad Cooper! — Richard easily dispatched with Wormwood, while Isabella fought hard against Mad for the happy ending she deserves (after wearing pretty much the same outfit for two years). With the zombie horde powered down by Wormwood’s vanquishing, Gareth reached out to Madalena to shareGalavant-finale-wedding a life together, but she explained that she had tasted total power and liked it, so she D’DEW’d herself away.

Gal meanwhile had a promise to make good on, having quasi-proposed to Isabella mid-melee, so the two married with Weird Al and the other jazz-handing monks officiating. Richard found his own happy ending as well, racing to stop Roberta from boarding the boat to the Island of Spinsters, cat and chocolate in hand.

Gareth was determined to find his love and rescue from herself, and to that end enlisted Sid for an adventureGalavant-evil-madalena. Madalena though was last seen arriving on the doorstep of the DEL (Dark Evil Lord), to complete her training (after being properly accessorized by his manservant, of course).

Then, as the monks sang of what may be should there be a Season 3, we got a glimpse into the future, where Roberta sent Richard to feed Tad Cooper — who now apparently is a full-grown fire-breather who snacks on sheep: “I’ve got a dragon,” the True King boasts to the camera.

What did you think of the finale, and how much do you want a Season 3?

1. Lysh says:

I don’t know the reasoning behind two half-hour shows, but it makes the episodes feel kind of cramped. But I love the show! I find myself smiling throughout. It’s a good place to end it, but I hope it gets renewed.

2. Johnny says:

The opening and closing songs were superb! A third season would look very different and I don’t know what they’ll do with Tad Cooper, but I would still like to see it.

3. This show is amazing but there is no chance that it will get a Season Three on ABC.

• That’s what everyone said last year too.

• Mike M says:

It’s made by ABC Studios and ABC Network are very fond of it. They have been rather faithful to that combo of shows they own and love regardless of traditional numbers (add American Crime) because those Neilsen numbers are more and more meaningless every year. And this season was even better than the first, so I’d still call it at least 50/50 and I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see it back.

4. VJ says:

That was so great! I knew it would be an awesome finale when the Jester gave the season recap. I missed this song! There were so many great lines and the whole “we won’t die, we have an episode left, this isn’t game of thrones” was funny. I love the meta jokes.
    I think the Reaper (or formerly the Bear) will get them this time around although one can hope. But if this has to be the series finale I’m perfectly happy with it. Just hope the maybe release a DVD box with both seasons. That would be great.

5. irishrose4583 says:

Love this show so much!!! I cross my fingers for a season 3 but at least know that if there is not one( lets be realistic:( ) it provided me with SO much entertainment. Now to go and listen to the soundtrack non-stop…..

6. *chants* Season 3! Season 3! Season 3!
    This is one of the funniest shows. Makes me laugh out loud multiple times per episode, which doesnt happen with every comedy. Its a great story, great songs, funny, and it works well as a 4-5 week alternative to the award shows and sport events that I dont care about.
    Please renew it, ABC!

7. madhatter360 says:

I’m happy for Galavant and Isabella but part of me liked the idea of her and jester getting together,

8. Whimsical says:

This season vastly improved over the first one to the point where yes, this time it should be renewed on merit.

• TJ says:

^^^This! Season two of Galavant was amazing. Funny, snarky, great musical numbers and plot. The inside jokes beg8nning with “season two aka suck it Cancellation Bear” were all gems.

I want a third season! Perhaps the show is cheap enough to make that the fans will get one?

• Mike M says:

Totally agree – it was really good last year with moments of greatness, but there was something extra about the story line and the FLOW this year that really upped the whole thing. Maybe even funnier and crazier in parts as well, but it really found its stride as a production. ABC could definitely have given it a better day / time slot, but I’m very grateful it got a time slot at all. It definitely has proven itself worth renewing again, especially when you compare it shows that are not close to as funny or clever that do get renewed.

9. Jake L. says:

I loved this finale so much. If we don’t get season 3, what a great way to go out. This season was so much better than last year (which I also loved) that I’m excited to see what the show would look like in season 3 and do hope we get to see that next January…but if not, this is a great, great capper to the series, and now all we need is a blu-ray release of the combined first two seasons to tide us over until next year…

10. Eugenia says:

I really hope they confirm a third season, it’s great to see something this kind of different and with such a great quality. And above all is really entertaining.

11. Gail says:

These episodes certainly seem like a series finale. They was no cliffhanger though they left an opening to continue with Mad going to learn how to be all evil. Timothy Omundson as Richard was the star of this season and he was great. I hope we get a season 3 as it is funny show and fits in well as a replacement for “Once Upon A Time”. It’s a shame they couldn’t produce enough episodes to last until Once returns, which is still over a month away.

12. Susan says:

We are ready for season 3!

13. Jake L. says:

The two half-hour shows are because it is a sitcom format. ABC just made the decision to double-pump them every week.

14. MUDZEE d says:

Definately need season 3. Richard is just coming into his own and now he really has a dragon? A dragon would be great! Opens up a lot of possibilities.

15. Carla Krae says:

So awesome!

16. Trevor says:

Please renew for a 3rd season! Wonderful show!

17. Preacher Book says:

Five or six episodes a year is enough of this silliness. Delightfully entertaining junk-food level TV.

18. robandco says:

It was so good. This show is so meta I love it.
    Season 3 could be interesting for sure. Dark Madalena should be fun. And I mean come on, DRAGONS!
    I am still hoping for another surprise renewal because the first one was so unexpected so hey, why not surprise us once more?

19. Eric says:

Tad Cooper. Best. Dragon. Name. Ever.

20. Rod and Diane says:

It is so incredibly silly. How refreshing!!!!!
    We LOVE it!!!! Let’s vote for a season 4 too.

21. Mike M says:

How funny was that double meta meta ending to episode 7 – “there will be no cliffhanger this year” reference and then cutting the episode off dead in mid song… I haven’t laughed so hard since somewhere back during Community.

22. Bree says:

I recorded Galavant last season because I was bored with all the award shows. I thought it looked so goofy I would never watch, but I turned it on for a minute and never looked back. I Love this show, it’s crazy, goofiness keeps me coming back for more. I got my mom loving it too, even though she detests musicals. She heard me laughing out loud every time I watch it, which is soo uncommon for me, the only other thing to ever cause that was early The Big Bang Theory. This finale was wonderful it wrapped everything up in case we don’t get another surprise renewal, yet still left it open for more. But I’ll take more Galavant please!!! Anytime, anyplace!! Long live Tad Cooper!!!!

23. Sharon says:

Season 2: Timothy O. for the win–he was awesome!!
    For Seasons 3–Infinity: how about keeping the same cast, but change the time period: 1492, the 13 colonies in the 1600s, the French Revolution,…

24. Tanyakallio42 says:

This show is beyond clever & totally fascinating. The casting is perfect. Oh please let there be a season 3!

25. Sharon says:

Just good silly fun! That kid who was cast as Gareth’s younger self was dead on. Richard’s got a dragon!!!

26. hopemullinax says:

If there is no season three, this was one of the most satisfying finales I’ve ever seen.

27. Loretta K. says:

Galavant ROCKS! Cast is so talented, writing & music remarkably fresh & funny each episode. COMPLETELY different fom anything else on TV – UNIQUE in a world of copycats & ripoffs. Absolutely MUST have more seasons!!

28. NQ says:

A truly funny and weird show. I hope it’s renewed because there really isn’t anything quite like it on TV right now. Long live King Richard and his dragon, Tad Cooper!

29. Angela says:

This show is fascinating! It’s a modern day Monty Python-esque rollicking good time! Such great sets, singing, and laugh out loud moments. ABC scored with this one, and I really hope the fun continues! Tad Cooper must go on!

30. Jayson says:

The live numbers may be less than what they were last year, however the +3 and +7 DVR ratings have apparently been very good (according to the show’s Karen David). I’m feeling confident that we can get a third season. ABC has to expect that it’s not going to win much during this break when all the awards and sports are going strong. So there’s no reason to pump out something that you’re expecting to beat those in the live ratings.

This season was fantastic and kept me engaged and wanting more each week. I think 10 episodes is the perfect size for a season for this show, and pumping them out two a week helps keep things rolling while not wasting time and running up against the likes of the Oscars or the Superbowl. If we do get a season three, I’m really interested in seeing how the plot will progress and which guest stars they’ll get to make a single episode appearance.

31. Marylyn Macy says:

Yes, it’s silly, but so much fun! The song lyrics are clever and I enjoy the work of all the actors. It is a wonderful hour of escapism from all the death and destruction featured in “cop” and “zombie” shows.
    I do hope for a third season!