Mandatory Credit: Photo by Buckner/Variety/REX/Shutterstock (5577734z)
Viola Davis
The 22nd Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards, Press Room, Los Angeles, America - 30 Jan 2016

SAG Awards: Viola Davis, Idris Elba, Kevin Spacey, Jeffrey Tambor, OITNB and Downton Among Winners

Winners for the 22nd annual Screen Actors Guild Awards were announced Saturday night at the Shine Exposition Center in Los Angeles, in a ceremony that was simulcast on TNT/TBS.

How to Get Away With Murder‘s Viola Davis marked broadcast TV’s lone winner, while streamers Netflix and Amazon combined for four total wins. Orange Is the New Black grabbed two prizes, for comedy ensemble and actress Uzo Aduba.

Fun (?) fact: Excluding the TV-movie categories, William H. Macy was the only 2015 SAG winner not to repeat.

DRAMA ENSEMBLEDownton Abbey Series Finale

Amy Poehler, Parks and Recreation

STUNT TEAMGame-Of-Thrones
The Blacklist
Game of ThronesWINNER
Marvel’s Daredevil
The Walking Dead

On the film side, the winners were: Spotlight (Cast), The Revenant‘s Leonardo DiCaprio (Lead Actor), Room‘s Brie Larson (Lead Actress), Beasts of No Nation‘s Idris Elba (Supporting Actor) and The Danish Girl‘s Alicia Vikander (Supporting Actress).

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Ron says:

Ugh. Call me a purist, but I’m really struggling with the fact that all the TV comedy awards went to shows that aren’t actually comedies. Don’t get me wrong, Tambor and Aduba are fantastic in their roles, but they’re dramatic roles. Sure, Transparent and OITNB have funny moments, but that doesn’t make them comedies. Transparent is, like, 90% (or more) drama. OITNB, while more comedy than Transparent, is still heavily dramatic. One of my main problems with this is that awarding dramas as comedies really devalues the importance and difficulty of actual comedy for a genre that has always been valued more because it has always been seen as supposedly harder.

• jj says:

agreed. I wish they were recognizing actual comedies.

• Igo says:

I’m with you. I feel like now comedy shows, especially on network tv, are being overlook even tho they have some of the best talent on tv right now.

• Spence says:

I completely agree. In my opinion, out of these nominees for COMEDIC acting Amy Poehler should’ve won. Uzo is incredibly talented and deserves awards- but not for comedy. These weird nominations are taking away from actors who have deserved awards and gotten snubbed for many years.

• Ron says:

It absolutely should’ve been Amy, no questions asked. I mean, the clip they showed of Aduba in OITNB was more dramatic than some of the clips for the actual drama nominees. It was a bit of great acting…just not great comedic acting.

• Alicia O says:

I, along with many other people, have been saying this for years. I’d rather have the comedy category be limited to half-hour shows. It’s not fair to put a one-hour show against a half-hour show because, due to the format, a half-hour show is limited in what it can do. If anything, make a dramedy category to reflect those hour-long series which have comedic elements. I think its ridiculous that OITNB competes in the comedy category because though it has its funny moments, at its core it is a serious drama.

• The Beach says:

Totally agree. I like OITNB very much but the Comedy Cast award, IMO, should have gone to Veep. Everyone on there is hilariously good and it is a true comedy.

• PV says:

I have been watching reruns of Frasier and was surprised at how many times I laughed at loud and not just over one or two episodes. There is very little TV that I now watch and I think may have gone to see 4 movies last year. The good thing is that I have started reading a lot more books.

• Angela says:

I’ll always enjoy watching “Frasier” reruns :). To me, a sign of good comedy is when you can still genuinely laugh at it no matter how many times you see it and how well you’ve come to know the jokes and when they’re coming. That show definitely fits that description.

• mario says:

Agree The catagories should be divided between cable shows and network tv shows
      Many good shows and actors on tv don’t get their true recognition because the catagories are lumped together. Plus there is alot more leeway in showing scenes on cable then there is on network tv.

2. Barb says:

Is it just me but are they give all the black nominees awards because of #oscars so white? I hope that is not the case but look at the winners.
    This will be happening next year at the oscars.

• Matt says:

I thought I was the only one that was noticing.

• Alrisha says:

I was thinking the same. Seen a little like compensation for the Oscars.

• Marlene says:

Absolutely what i thought and my husband ask when did i become so racist……
        Ok to have BET awards and Black month Feb.
        Now we have to have race/sex awards requirements just like college enrollments and hiring have.

• Tabularasa says:

Except there is no requirement. The problem with the oscars is that there were deserving black actors/writers/directors who were snubbed in favor of white people. I mean, does anyone actually think Mark Ruffallo is a more deserving nominee than Idris Elba who portrayed perfectly the most complex villain of 2015? It’s actually hilarious how easily the Oscars could have avoided this backlash by actually nominating the people who were deserving and not just the favorites they pick every other year. Out of the people that won tonight, how would you argue those people didn’t deserve it? Had the Oscars not nominated almost every category with white people, these same people would have won, and no one would think anything of it.

There have been many years were a black actor was not nominated and there has been no fuss. The reason there is fuss is there are very obvious deserving people who the academy decided to ignore. Black history month just shows how insane it is that schools and media have to be reminded to teach black history.

• Min says:

Youre wrong. Other than Elba, who else was more deserving? What about asian actors? what about hipanic, latin and chicano actors? Will Smith wasnt nommed, because he was awful!

• Alrisha says:

Hispanic, Latin actors don’t cry for awards. They had won a lot out of merit. Only in directing category they had a lot of Oscar, SAG and more.

• HAP says:

I agree win Min regarding Idris Elba. And Elba got seriously snubbed by the Oscars for his brilliant work in Beasts Of No Nation.

• I’m not sure you should even bother with her. If she’s so simple-minded that she can’t comprehend why there are BET awards and Black History Month, she’s probably not worth your time and she definitely isn’t going to change her racist mind.

• Yoko says:

ALMA Awards, CMA Awards, every other month other than February.

• Leanne says:

what would happen if they had “white awards” along with BET awards. why cant someone be nominated on just the performance, regardless of race/color. This is suppose to be entertainment not politics. I also wish Will Smith who I really like wasn’t so “pussywhiped”

• lame says:

You’ll have to poll the actors, they are the ones who cast votes for their peers.

• Spence says:

Gee, maybe it’s because the SAG awards are actually looking at a large range to find their talented nominees compared to the racist likes of you all and the Oscar voters.

• tvjunkie says:

most Oscar voters are liberals, so you seem to be saying liberals are racists. I would agree with that in many cases.

• Ella Jasper says:

I wonder if Jada is happy now. Who cares what she thinks? Tired of hearing it.

• TJ says:

It wasn’t just you. I actually looked up the voting deadline to see if it was before or after the oscar noms came out. The deadline was Jan 26th. I didn’t have a problem with who won, I thought they were all deserving. Most of the top acting categories for film were still all white other than Elba. The Emmy’s did recognize some of the same television actors at the last ceremony. So are the Oscars being racist? I’ve been saying all along it’s the industry more than the Academy. The studios, producers, directors, casting, etc. They need to make changes. Television has proved that people will watch diverse cast if the product is good. So make a good film with the best possible actors, people will watch. I do think it’s getting better as younger producers and directors get bigger films. But then the viewing public has to spend money on films that show diversity too. They have to make money for the studios to agree it’s a good thing. It’s not just the Academy, everything has to change.

• Weren’t most of the black winners also repeat winners? Or, at least, favorites in their categories? Uzo Aduba and Viola Davis have been winning awards for the past couple of years. Queen Latifah has been touted as the favorite and Idris has as well. I’m not sure I would even insinuate that these wins are meant to quiet the uproar. They were deserved.

• tvjunkie says:

Actually the votes were probably already in for SAG before Oscar nominations were announced

3. Sheila kerwin says:

Odd that if a black actor is in a category they win pretty obvious this is not about acting it is about color

• CK says:

Because #whitesupremacy right? Emmy awards winners Viola Davis and Uzo Aduba definitely didn’t deserve to repeat their win over white nominees, right? Idris definitely shouldn’t have won even though outside of the Oscars, he’s been one of the most consistently nominated performers in the category, right? Don’t even get me started on Queen Latifah who had rave reviews for her performance either. It became about color the moment you discounted their performances and their wins over their white co-nominees.

• Eiraul88 says:

No, it became about color when #Oscarssowhite started trending. Doesn’t feel so great when the shoe is on the other foot, does it?

• CK says:

Shoe is on the other foot? I’m sorry, why should I feel bad? Regardless of what people think on TVline, talented actors won and talent actors will continue to win thanks to the changes implemented by the academy. Do you feel sad that talented black nominees won over other actors in a contest that been voted on for weeks by their peers?

• tvjunkie says:

If you’re going to use that argument here then you have absolutely no argument against the Oscars, unless you are saying you are a racist with a double standard. You can’t have it both ways.

4. H says:

How in the world did Kevin Spacey win over much more qualified performances (RAMI MALEK)??? HOC last season was not particularly good quality programming. It really doesn’t make sense.

5. Kat says:

So when all white actors are nominated, it’s just because white people gave the best performances. But when mostly black actors win, it’s because of their skin color. Not talent. Uh huh. Sure. No racism in that assumption. Not at all.

• Winston says:

Thank you for bringing some Sense to this board. I was starting to get discouraged.

• Eiraul88 says:

These awards were voted on right after the Oscars controversy. This was clear over compensation from the industry.

• jj says:

If it was over compensation, Straight Outta Compton would have won.

• evababy says:

SAG members could begin voting for nominees right after nominations were announced on Dec. 9th. Oscar noms were not announced til January 14th. SAG voters had potentially a month of voting time before the Oscar noms were announced. Sure some probably waited til the last minute, but it is not accurate to think that everybody spontaneously did so.

• tabularasalocke says:

So who you rather have won in these categories? If Will Smith was nominated and won for Concussion, you’d have an argument. Because he would not be deserving for the award, but everyone who won was deserving, not to mention at least 3 black winners have won before for their roles in emmys, before there was an outcry.

• jj says:

And it’s not even mostly black actors that won. Viola and Uzo are repeat winners (having won last year too). Idris won twice tonight, and Queen Latifah. That’s it. No idea why people are reacting negatively to that.

• Ron says:

PREACH! I love how it seems that when black people complain about all white Oscar nominations, it’s represented as black people being whiners and sore losers, intentionally trying to create racial disharmony. Yet when mostly people of color win, white people get to complain without question, denouncing it as some sort of “politically correct” social statement, rather than simply saying they were just deserving. If you’re really going to tell me Viola and Idris and Queen weren’t the best in their respective categories, well…..

• Reggyreg says:

Kat, I could not have said it better myself. It never ceases to amaze me how ignorant some people truly are.

• KCC says:

An overly simplified conclusion. No black nominees = racism, no white winners = reverse racism. There’s no winning. All these awards are popularity contests. Every year there are dozens of performances by people of every ilk that equally deserve recognition. Any one of them could legitimately be a “nominee” or “winner.” Everyone likes to see someone they can identify with acknowledged for their work. It only rises to racism/sexism/etc. for the group in the majority, even though their feels are the same as those in the minority, i.e. “It feels good to see someone like me win” or “no one like me won so there must be something wrong.”
      It comes down to how each individual votes. Hopefully, they vote based on what performances most impressed them. To say a winner/nominee is the result of racism because when all the votes are tallied they don’t accurately reflect a diverse cross-section of the population is negating the whole concept of a popular vote. Elections are not random events that will mathematically produce an outcome proportionate to the population. If those proportions are always the result, it could be argued that everyone is voting along racial lines and there would never be a minority selected for anything. The results are obtained from tallying individual votes. If someone is black and voted for a black person and someone else is white and voted for a white person does that make them all racists? You don’t know unless you talk with them individually. Is the only way to prove you’re not a racist to vote for someone not in your “group”? Isn’t that a form of racism as well?

6. Chris says:

I’m confused. What defines a comedy? Peer pressure and fear of backlash rule the day, not the need for diversity.

• evababy says:

Categorizing something as a comedy or a drama for an award has nothing to do with diversity and everything to do with how the various academies have a hard time slotting in something that doesn’t easily fit within a specifically defined role.

Just this past year the Emmys made rule changes based on what could be a drama or a comedy. Season 1 of Orange Is The New Black competed as a comedy, but last year the Emmy ruled it had to compete as a drama. Meanwhile Shameless on Showtime was considered a comedy. Transparent is considered a comedy but to me it feels a lot like Orange in tone.

Long story, tv shows are changing and don’t fit in neat slots anymore.

7. evababy says:

The SAG nominations were announced in early December a full 6 weeks before the Oscar nominations. So, no, this is not some grand conspiracy to compensate POC for not getting Oscar noms. SAG didn’t have anything to prove. They’d already pretty much already done more than the Oscars simply by nominating people across color lines. And this is even before the whole Oscar outcry.

Uzo Aduba and Viola Davis had already won Emmys for these exact same roles back in September. Again, months before any of this latest Oscar crap.

Notice most of the POC wins are for TV. A medium people have pretty much pointed out over and over again does diversity better than film anyway. Of course, Idris Elba’s win for Beasts is an exception. but since most people point to that specific film performance as one that actually was deserving of an Oscar nom and considered a major upset by oddsmakers, it kinda proves the point of the outcry in the first place….

8. Cora says:

Best award show I’ve watched in years. It was fair and as equal in diverse.

9. lame says:

This was actors voting for performances they admired.

10. Temperance says:

For the life of me, I cannot figure out why there isn’t a rule for these shows that states that, in any category, any show can only win once, and every actor can only win once for any role (in any category). It would make them much more interesting and MUCH more accurate.

• mrmcgee says:

I get what you mean, but that wouldn’t be fair either to someone our some show having a phenomenal season but not being nominated just because they won before.

I just dislike when awards, especially the Emmys, go on autopilot, like with Modern Family for example, or several actors over the years who won year after year.

11. tabularasalocke says:

I love how there’s people on here claiming black actors only won because of the Oscars controversy but are overlooking Spacey winning over Rami Malek (Spoiler alert: Rami’s not white) or how Downton won with a cast of all white people, or how Orange is the New Black won over a sketch comedy show starring two black comedians. Or Spotlight winning over Beasts of No Nation and Straight Outta Compton? If the SAG awards were just being politically correct and cashing in on the Oscar drama, that wouldn’t have happened.

• Annie says:

I agree with you, though I would argue that Orange is the New Black is predominantly a show about people of colour, so it’s win isn’t a “win for white people”. It’s an outlier show (and totally deserving of all its praise).
      And it is frustrating how people just overlook Rami as a person of colour. Ditto Inneritu at the Oscars. There are more racial groups than just black and white. When we talk about diversity and racism we need to be diligent that we recognize that it’s a wide group.

12. John Davis says:

13. Thank You! SAG, Globes and Critics for giving Luther the recognition he deserves.

14. anna says:

There a ten actresses on OITB who are better than Uzo Aduba. It’s baffling why she is always singled out. And SAG/AFTRA’s contuiung fawning over mediocre soap opera Downton Abbey is embarrassing. I guess the voters wish they were brits.

15. Angela says:

Yay, Viola! Always good to see her getting nominations and awards.

16. Arlene says:

I wish the children who starred in Beasts of No Nation had won for their performances.

17. Cody says:

Could care less about the other winners, I’m just so happy that Viola Davis won again for her work on HTGAWM! She’s absolutely amazing as Annalise and the show wouldn’t be the same without her!

18. mArS says:

Now too many black winners.. only to stick it to the Academy

19. MM says:

Viola is great and so is Spacey, but these people already have won once for the same roles. It doesn’t help having the same nominees every year, like with eg. the Good wife. You would think there are only five shows in the entire universe. I was so glad to see some fresh bood like Rami or Alicia being nominated and that’s diversity also!

20. Erik says:

Good for Viola Davis!

21. No offense to Kevin Spacey but Rami Malek deserved to win this award more and Daredevil should’ve won for Stunt Team

22. Belle says:

Am I the only one who is upset that more Network shows are snubbed to make room for the cable shows??? I mean they can pretty much push the envelope on most cable channels…where as ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, and The CW have to keep things pretty PG for “primetime”. Just sucks that there is hardly any love for network shows when it’s awards season. And if a show is more than 30 minutes long, it is in the drama category – true Comedy shows are 30 time slots…so frustrating that year after year it becomes the “Cable” awards show.

• jj says:

It’s not even the “Cable” awards show. It’s the “Streaming” awards. Netflix and to a lesser extent Amazon are the big winners lately.

23. e says:

I’d understand the semi outrage if these actors were not talented. However, Idris, Viola, and Queen Latifah are extremely talented actors. So I’m confused. Why are some of you mad? They were voted for by their peers.

The outrage about Uzo winning best female actor in a comedy is understandable. Not because she’s “black”, but because oitnb like many others have said isn’t a comedy.

• Brooke says:

Don’tcha know? If white people win, it’s because of merit. If people of color win, it’s because of affirmative action. No way non-white people could ACTUALLY be insanely talented. (/ sarcasm)

24. keenen says:

I won’t add to the great statements already made. Idris deserved it for Luther years ago, and I’m still mad he didn’t get the Emmy. Queen Latifah’s performance has been lauded since the movie came out, and then you have two repeat winners. Viola Davis( who has been recognized by the Academy) and Uzo who has been winning everything for 2 years. So….this is not about talent but about race? I agree, Kevin Spacey over some of those other nominees? if you are going to question choices, question all of them, not just those that involve minority recipients. By the way…I agree about Asian and Hispanic nominiees, but no one was complaining when Sofia Vergara was in there every year.

25. keenen says:

How much do I love Michael Keaton…as someone who grew up near Flint and still has family very close to the city…so much!

To add to Idris…I am not mad at any occasion that will get him to show up..and show up looking so fabulous!!! Most of the men looked amazing last night.

26. jose says:

Diversity? Oh i get it, i did not see a single hispanic or asian. I guess this country has only black and whites only. Its only trully diversity when others are represented.

• lechatnoir says:

maybe not here but Oscar Hernandez has been collecting awards and accolades since 2012. every single year.and he was nominated for the golden globe this year ( by the way do you know which roles he got those for ? ). I suggest you look him up. Other latinos who have won big time over the past 2 years were Immanuele Lubezki , Alfonso Cuaron and the other chap , Inarritu is going to win.