Vampire Diaries Spoilers

Vampire Diaries EP Talks Caroline's Due Date, Damon's 'Custom Hell' and More

Damon’s in for a rude awakening (“You’ve been dead for three months!”) when The Vampire Diaries returns tonight (The CW, 8/7c), which is kind of a recurring theme in the back half of Season 7.

“This is Damon’s story of the chicken coming home to roost,” executive producer Caroline Dries says of the elder Salvatore brother, now trapped within the Phoenix Stone. “He had unresolved emotional issues with his mom; he basically spat on her while she was dying. Now it’s time for him to have a mirror held up to him and [see] what happens when you don’t have remorse. It’s a custom-made hell for him.”

As always, fans can also expect more flash forwards, soon to feature we have yet to see in any previous time jump: Matt Donovan!

“We’ll start to understand why we haven’t seen [him], and what’s been going on with him three years into the future,” Dries teases. “We also start to get little peeks at this force that’s been after Stefan all of this time. We’ll slowly but surely … start to piece together this mythology we’ve been building with the sword and the stone and why that’s been the spine of the season.”

You can also look forward to a lot of the season’s background elements bubbling up over the next few weeks. Bonnie and Enzo’s “bickersome relationship,” for example, will start to grow legs. Says Dries, “We need to see them in more scenes together before we can start to build them out romantically.”

And then there’s Caroline, who’s “getting more and more pregnant,” Dries notes. “Those babies have to come out at some point.”

Your hopes (and fears) for Season 7B? Drop ’em in a comment below.

1. Gul says:

All i care about is Steroline and these showrunners are hell bent on ruining them so i couldnt care less about these dumb storylines..

• Mandy says:

All I care about is NO steroline and hope they are really broken up for good. The sibling duo need to stay friends. Please let Tyler stay on so he can get back with Caroline.

• Maryann says:

Well, that’s not ALL I care about, but I certainly would rather see Caroline and Tyler than Caroline with Stefan — and I definitely like having Tyler on the show. As for Stefan and Caroline, the two of them together romantically make me cringe. Zero chemistry.

• Gul says:

Ugh stop with the sibling stuff, makes you sound 5.. but i did like Tyler/Caroline too till they completely threw them under the bus for the ridiculousness that was Klaroline.. So i dont think they can really go back there.. At this point, i dont really care about who ends up with whom. None of it would seem organic anyway.

• CJ says:

As opposed to you sounding like your two. Good to know. And yes it is like watch siblings, they were best friends and should have stayed that way. If they had the chemistry to pull off romance then I would be all for it. The chemistry wasn’t there along with the horrible writing.

• Kim says:

Sterozzz remind me of siblings too. They have zero chemistry and at least Forwood has it! I’ve always thought that SC were more brother/sister friendship than anything ever romantic.

• Kate says:

Can Damon please have character development after this man pain fest? I’m sick of him and all his man pain. End it and develop his character. Damon needs to man up after 170 odd years, grow a pair, get over his Mommy abandonment and Petrova obsession and move the heck on!! I want more for Damon’s character.

• Dany says:

So him having legitimate emotions is “man pain”? I don’t get it. You want character development but don’t want to explore Damon’s issues? And he’s not going to get over his “Petrova obsession” seeing as Elena is the love of his life. Get used to it.

• Lauren says:

AGREE Kate! Damon is still stuck on S1 and has never left. There is nothing different about his situation which makes makes Elena nothing special. I guess that’s why the writers kept having Damon and Elena say how toxic they were.

• zed says:

what a great post Kate! yes and yes to Damon finally growing up and yes to moving on especially from the Petrova obsession – #bamon-

• Bianca says:

LOL, you nailed it Kate! I’ve been saying this for seasons. Damon needs to wake up and realize that his Mommy and Daddy issues have ruined his outlook on love. He needs to realize what real love is and it’s not an obsession with any version of Katherine. Elena is just the Katherine that he could finally have.

2. Lisa says:

My hope has always been a Klaus and Caroline scene. It’s been two years, pleeeeease.

3. Ian says:

Wasn’t Bonnie supposed to have another love interest before Enzo? He just got done slobbering Lily.

• Karen says:

Yeah I thought I heard that before s7 even started. It may have just been Enzo and it’s taken this long for them to write it. Unfortunately I’m not interested in a Benzo romance because I find Enzo useless. What was with him and Lily? I don’t want him anywhere near Bonnie. She deserves way more than what the writers are giving her.

4. spindae2 says:

Watched the midseason premiere, it was outstanding. Sadly no flashforwards, but the episode was so good that I didn’t even notice until I read this.

• Richard says:

Yea, it was very good right, the twist in the end was relatively clever, Damon is literally mad right now…I would love to see Sefan’s reaper dream

5. Maryann says:

Why on earth put Enzo and Bonnie together? Ick!

6. Sharon says:

Just waiting for romantic Steroline to end. Caroline deserves more.

7. Richard says:

I watched the mid season primere before it came out and it was to good, a time came when I was so confused, like is this real

8. Beba says:

how they are building up bonenzo makes so little sense, MM is missing for 3 episodes in a row plus the one Kat miss, they aren’t interacting for 5 episodes in a row like wtf

9. Dany says:

I like Bonenzo so far but they’re not doing enough with it. The writers need to give them way more screen time before we catch up to the flash forwards.

10. Haddie says:

The Steroline “romance” does need to end, and it will (flash forward made that obvious).. My question is with all these Fast Forwards they had, hinting at Caroline being engaged (obviously not to Stephan) and Rick being engaged… What exactly are the odds of it being the two together. I mean she is technically having his twins… >.> I could potentially see something there. Its definitely not Tyler though. Caroline and Tyler ship sailed when they brought in Klaus. Granted with it’ll be really weird seeing Rick & Caroline together if that is what they are doing.

11. diana says:

the show is going awesome I don’t care who ends up with who I love to watch and see what happens isn’t that whats its supposed to be about anyways. Well I love the show and don’t want it to end so make many more seasons please!!!!

12. lyle says:

What channel is CW?
    On dish network.

• AnnieM says:

They are usually tied in with CBS affiliates, I think, so yours should be grouped with your local channels on Dish. That’s how ours are, anyway.

13. Funmilayo says:

Pls there should be no relationship between Caroline and Alaric. Anyway I can’t wait for the crossover and Klaus reaction to pregnant Caroline. As for Hailey and Elijah it is only a matter of time before they get together. Camille should pls come back to her normal self a little.

14. gz says:

Damon is the best thing ever it makes the whole show however I know what episode I saw his head flip forward I saw a big bald spot on the back so sad