Lauren Graham Talks Gilmore Girls Revival

Lauren Graham's Emotional, Heartfelt Gilmore Girls Revival Reaction: 'It's What I Hoped It Would Be'

Lauren Graham is out of breath. She just came from Friday’s table read for the Gilmore Girls revival’s debut installment, titled “Winter,” and she’s a ball of frenzied excitement and firing endorphins.

A similar scene has been playing out in the social media-verse in the hours since Netflix officially confirmed that Amy Sherman-Palladino’s beloved dramedy would be returning with all-new episodes.

Below, Graham takes me through the nostalgic whirlwind that has been the past 72 hours, before answering the $1 million question: Is the revival going to be worth the wait. (Short answer: Oh, hell yes.)

TVLINE | How was the table read?
Let me go back a day or two ago, when I walked onto the set for the first time. We had to do a camera test and… the house. [She gets choked up] It’s on a different stage but it’s… the house. Alexis [Bledel] and I walked onto the set together and — I feel super emotional about a lot of it and I’m afraid I’m going to start crying at every turn — but walking onto that set really felt like something. It felt like a lot of time had passed and it felt like we were just there. It felt amazing.

TVLINE | I can only imagine.
And then, today, to be in that room with everybody [for the table read]. It was just really emotional. I don’t know what I’m allowed to say. [Laughs] There’s a line [in the script] about how time has passed and how that feels… and hanging over all of it is the absence of Ed [Herrmann, who played Gilmore patriarch Richard], which, obviously the [revival] addresses. But that’s where we’re all starting from, and it feels so real. It’s hard to be here without him. You notice so many friendly faces and then a few that are missing. But more than anything, we just can’t believe it. All of the things that had to happen for this to happen.

TVLINE | Netflix had to happen!
Netflix had to be invented. The fans had to want it badly enough that they didn’t stop asking. The outpouring of enthusiasm and joy is just completely humbling and so appreciated. I sound like some terrible self-help guru, but I feel so full of appreciation. And then I look at the schedule, which is, like, 40 days of night work, and I’m like, “Oh, yeah! I remember this job!” [Laughs] But I’m even excited to do that. And just so excited to do this material. Amy sent me the scripts and I gobbled them right up. It’s all the positive aspects of running into someone you used to go out with with none of the downside. [Laughs] It’s like, “Hey, old friend! I’m happy to see you.”

TVLINE | Have you read all four scripts?
I haven’t read the last one. We just got it. They’re looong. [Laughs] I read “Winter,” “Spring” and “Summer.”

TVLINE | Are fans going to be happy?
[Pauses, adopts a serious, thoughtful tone] For sure. For sure. I read a scene with Kelly [Bishop, who plays matriarch Emily] today… and it was just completely alive. We have some really nice story together. And there’s definitely some resolution that we didn’t get [at the end of the series’ original run].

TVLINE | Lauren, you have the final script in your hands. Which means you are in possession of the final four words…
[Calmly] Correct.

TVLINE | Did you skip ahead and read them?!
No. Amy already told them to me.

TVLINE | When?!
She didn’t realize that I didn’t know them. It’s actually been helpful not knowing them, because people ask me and I tell them I don’t know — because I really didn’t know. You know? So I asked her, “Who says them?” And she says, “Both of you.” That’s all I can say. It’s not, you know, in unison.

TVLINE | It’s an exchange.

TVLINE | Just hearing you talk about it gets me really excited.
Me too, Mike. I was completely satisfied with these scripts. It’s what I hoped it would be.

TVLINE | Twitter is exploding now that the news is official.
I haven’t seen anything because I’ve been in the table read and now I’m decorating my trailer here on set. I’m involved in throw pillows now — I’ll look at the Internet in a little bit. [Laughs] I’m really glad. It’s a treat to be at this point in my life and experience. I’m not like, “Oh, this probably happens all the time.” I have full appreciation and respect for what this moment is and I’m going to enjoy it as much as possible.

1. stopthestatic says:

2. Laurie says:

That makes me extremely happy, and all the more excited.

3. Elizabeth says:

Why am I so emotional reading this!! So happy and freakin excited! Lauren sounding so enthusiastic and emotional makes me anxious for this!! My mom and I have already started planning or viewing parties!

4. Brandi says:

I can’t frakking wait!! This is so awesome!

5. Christy says:

YES YES YES!!! I was a tiny bit scared that ASP would hold to her stubborn stance of never realeasing the 4 words (except hopefully to Ausiello on his deathbed). SO glad they are in here.
    And Lauren’s talk of the house had me choking up. I need this to air like NOW!

6. Stacie says:

This is great. Luckily, I didn’t really watch Gilmore Girls on its original run, I caught all the episodes in a row about 3 years ago, so it’s not as long of a wait as some of you guys who have been waiting 7 years. This is awesome for all of you, and as a relatively new Gilmore Girls fan this is perfect.

7. Natalie says:

I’m going to cry! (happy tears) If Lauren is happy with the scripts and the plot, then I think I’m going to be happy. I remember she said she think Luke and Lorelai would have gotten married and that’s the one thing I want the most, so I’m really hoping we’ll get that. I am so excited!

8. Lori says:

I am excited and can’t wait for a date when it will be on Netflix

9. Carolina says:

10. Nicolas says:

4 words: “Nine season is coming”. (A guy can dream, right?)

11. Jesse says:

Only thing is, I still will want more. 4 long episodes released each season over a year is not enough. I would rather have a full season. 20 something regular episodes. But anything is better then nothing. I’m a newer fan that just finished watching the original seasons a couple months ago on netflix. It was a fantastic journey watching all of it and can’t wait for the reunion. But I really wish they would just bring it back full time. I can never get enough, it never gets old. I could watch this show forever.

12. Linda says:

4 words–Gilmore Girls Are Back…

13. Drew says:

I love that Netflix and other networks are doing this. Rather than just make a new show with the same plot as an old show, why not bring back characters that we already know and love? I am excited to see what happens in the future (Veronica Mars! Chuck! Sliders!).
    I’m looking forward to this. I hope that Rory has outgrown whatever she was going through in the last couple of seasons.

14. Linda says:

4 Words– Gilmore Girls Are Back..

15. Jay says:

Oh man, I’m so excited. This is not like when Gillian Anderson was interviewed about the first X Files revival script and she described it as ‘functional’. This is going to be good!

• ericcartman23 says:

Sorry but she didn’t describe as functional in her first interview and Gilmore Girls will never be in the same sentence as The X-Files. We’re talking about the second greatest TV-Series ever made after The Wire. Also, The X-Files event series it’s the best thing that’s been on television since the end of Treme back in 2013, the second episode in particular(Founder’s Mutation) was absolutely amazing.

• Regi Copado says:

I love The X-Files, but I completely agree with Gillian Anderson, the first episode was ‘functional’ and slightly awkward. It was almost like a pilot (introducing characters, where they come from and what’s happened with them) with characters we already love. I liked it, but for a second I felt weird about it.
        However, episode 2 was one of the best episodes of a TV show I’ve seen for ages and it felt like the old X-Files, like if time hadn’t passed. So I cannot wait for the rest of the season.

16. Miranda says:

I’m so pumped!! Always loved the show but never felt truly content with the ending!! I liked it but it felt open ended to me.. I love a long ending with scenes of happiness & resolution. A direct future set in motion. The interview was sweet & honest I love her humility! I’m excited!!

17. When do we get to see the 4 shows? And will we get to see them in Australia?

18. Et al. says:

winter, spring, summer, (or) fall.

Final four words “you’ve got a friend”.

19. Kellie says:

I’m in Australia & I don’t have Netflix- will have to hope that a free to air network can buy the eps…

20. I’m crying right now!! I can’t believe it’s FINALLY HAPPENING

21. Midnight Smartass says:

(Too early?)

• Bravelittletoaster says:

I don’t feel like Parenthood needs a reunion, it ended about as perfectly as a show can. The Gilmore Girls ending was sub par due to Amy Sherman Pallidino not being part of the final season. I’m so excited for this I can barely contain myself ☺️☺️☺️

22. Joanne Rosson says:

I love gilmore girls. Even though im happily married i want ny relationship with my daughter to be like that of the famous Rory And Lorelei Gilmore. I idol Lor!

23. Michelle Ruch says:

Can’t wait. I love this show and still watch the reruns. This truly makes me happy.

24. alexandra says:

<3 <3 <3

25. Liz says:

I CAN’T WAIT!!!!

26. Lauren says:

I still can’t believe this is real! I love this age of tv and I love Netflix. The only thing I need now is the air date so I can time my rewatch accordingly!

27. Dragonfly says:

Do we know when it will be on Netflix? Any episodes this year?

• mkfan64 says:

I bet the first one will air this coming winter, since she was talking about the winter script and then go through spring, summer and fall 2017.

28. AJonesy says:

I can’t wait! Favorite show. I’m still watching reruns!

29. Em says:

30. A3rynSun76 says:

Middle of the night. dead tired. can’t sleep. Spent the last two minutes stifling a squeal of joy. #gilmoregirlsrevival

31. AnneHFreeman says:

good artical

32. Lola says:

This makes me ao happy! I grew up with that show and I’ve learned so much from it. Can’t wait for it to return. Thank you Amy, Daniel, Lauren, Alexis, Kelly, Netflix and everyone involved for making this happen!

33. Aimee says:

I’m so excited for Gilmore Girls to come back, this was one of my favorite shows. Lauren and Alexis are perfect Mother and daughter.

34. sharonhilton says:

I can’t wait! Lauren’s portrayal of Lorelai and this show got me through the toughest time in my life! It means so much to me that it is coming back.

35. rantonio says:

last 4 words… Lorelei: I do. Luke: I do. Give me a Luke & Lorelei wedding!!

36. margaret says:

Thank you for this interview! It’s so great to read! It’s very exciting & I’m glad this is happening. I hope they sell the boxed set!!

37. Christy Farley says:

I don’t have Netflix or really know how to get it. I love Gilmore Girls and watch the re-runs everyday on tv. Any chance you will air this on tv? In the mean time I will be looking into what I have to do to get a Netflix account. My love to Lauren and the gang. So excited!!!

38. Christina Reynolds says:

So excited, Michael! So glad to have you in our corner.

39. n8ball78 says:

Never watched a single episode of this show, and probably never will. I’ve heard many different people over the years beg and plead for a revival. I’m so happy their finally getting their wish. I hope it’s everything theyve always wanted.
    This is the great thing about Netflix. It bringing shows back (Longmire) or giving them a chance to have a proper end (The Killing) even if it’s not perfect it’s something better than nothing. It gives a little bit of hope to every series cancelled to soon or gone to long.

I hope this is a success just to give the long rumored reboot/continuation to the series “Jericho”. It doesn’t have the mass appeal but has a very big cult following and needs to happen.

• misery chick says:

That is so sweet of you, n8ball78! Appreciate your kind words. Never EVER EVAH thought it would happen.

I hope the same happens for you and “Jericho”…

• Jinq says:

In a culture where I read so many comments by people who don’t like/don’t watch a particular show but feel compelled to comment on boards and trash it and trash its fans, your comment was a breath of fresh air – so classy and kind! It warmed my heart and give me a little more faith in humanity. I’ve heard of Jericho but really am not familiar with it – what is it about? Maybe I’ll check it out.

• Regi Copado says:

For a second I thought this was going to be a hate comment. Thank you for being lovely and understanding how good this is for us fans :)

40. rmh8402 says:

So freaking excited :-)

41. Such a great article. Thanks for being the best at what you do, Michael! I’m so excited, and more than that, I am so happy that Lauren and the rest of the cast are this excited.

42. Edward Trant says:

Fell in love with Lauren the moment she came on screen. I taped every show and saw every repeat many many times. She is without a doubt the most iconic woman ever to lead a show. She is also multi-talented as a singer and dancer. She never had to show skin to get your attention. She was strong when she had to be and vulnerable when she didn’t have to be. When did Lauren become Lorelie, or when did Lorelie become Lauren?

43. Nanette says:

Wish I were that fly on the wall!!!

44. Ari says:

I’m glad this is a condensed season. I think it will make the quality a lot better to not have to fill 22 hours. I’m really looking forward to this but please tell me Mrs. Kim is back too! It wouldn’t be the same without a trip to her store!

45. Kristina says:

I’ve waited for a moment like this!!! Absolutely positively excited!!!!

46. Trish M says:

Hubby & I did Gilmore Nights for the season premiers & finales. Tiaras, boas, pjs, drinks in our light up margarita glasses and plenty of junk food. We hope Lorelai would be proud. Can’t wait for this!!!😍

47. So happy!!! says:

Can’t wait!!!! This is AMAZING! How often does one one get to have their FAVORITE show “come back” like they always hoped. This place, these people exist in some alternate amazing universe for so many of us. To get to see where they are now is an indescribable gift!

48. Libby says:

It sounds absolutely perfect!

49. Lizzy says:

I am so happy that this show is back. I love both you Lauren and Alexis as actresses, but Lorelie and Rory are parts that were made for the two of you. It’s perfect. This show has been my favorite for awhile. I’ve probably watched the entire thing 5 times. And I’m always just as sad when it ends as I was the first time. There are not many shows that impact people the way Gilmore Girls has impacted so many. It is near and dear to my heart probably as much as it is to the returning cast. I actually always said that it would be brought back after Obama leaves office, because that’s where Rory decided to go. Not sure if that has anything to do with the decision on when to start up, but it was alway pretty awesome that Gilmore Girls predicted the president! Anyways just wanted to say that I am one of those fans that never gave up and a return and I’m glad I didn’t.

50. Jaime Fio says:

This is the most fantastic news in such a long time! I watch reruns daily and can think of NO BETTER WRITTEN SHOW! It’s a dream for so many viewers!!!