Muppets Changes Miss Piggy

The Muppets, Revamped: Piggy's New 'Tude and More Post-Hiatus Tweaks

If your biggest complaint about the first 10 episodes of The Muppets was “It’s not meta enough,” you’re going to like what the ABC comedy has in store for its Feb. 2 return (8/7c).

As a nod to The Muppets‘ real-life behind-the-scenes overhaul — a change of showrunner and focus were reported in November — the “network” assigns a branding guru to revamp Up Late With Miss Piggy. More specifically, he’s brought in to “make old things relevant.” (There’s talk of YouTube personalities joining the fold, an Undateable-esque shift to viewer interactivity, etc.)

Fortunately — and I don’t think this is giving too much away — the Muppets discover that the key to pleasing their audience is simply giving it more of what it loves: bits, sketches and viral videos featuring the felted freaks in all their off-the-wall glory. And isn’t that really what The Muppets was missing all along?

Having seen the newest episode, we promise that everything you did like about the series — that particular brand of nonsense that only the Muppets can truly deliver — remains in tact, enhanced by a few necessary tweaks. One crucial shift is Miss Piggy’s sunnier disposition; she’s no longer the irrational, Kermit-bashing lunatic she was in the first 10 episodes, courtesy of a restorative trip to Argentina. (There’s always the possibility that her new ‘tude will prove temporary, so enjoy the calm for now.)

The show also seems to be exploring the Kermit/Piggy dynamic more in its second half — and, honestly, did anyone think breaking them up was a good idea in the first place?

Gather your thoughts on The Muppets, including what you hope to see when the ABC comedy returns next week, and drop ’em in a comment below.

1. Mark says:

kermitflail.gif

2. Mike says:

I just hope they bring the youthful more innocent fun Muppets. You can have adult humor to to a degree, but when the Muppets are characters that act just like every character on other sitcoms in puppet form they are no longer Muppets. They need that child like quality with an adult edge, hope they pull it off.

3. Dennis says:

LOVE this show!! Really, truly hope it survives for season 2!

4. C says:

Tweaks sound good and as long as breakout star Uncle Deadly remains prominent and awesome, I’m totally in.

5. Brian says:

Rooting for this show.

6. Shawn says:

I am hoping beyond hope that this is true. I think they missed the boat on the Muppets. It is family entertainment with a wink to the adult joke. There was a much better way to do this than to make it about dating, etc. Plus the “humorous” adult situations were just not funny. The bit with Gonzo, and other Muppet craziness is what we NEED. As a long time fan I was afraid that this show would make the Muppets irrelevant. Here’s hoping they get back to their roots a bit.

7. dan says:

I like the show. It sounds like the tweaks will help, they made Miss Piggy way too unlikeable the first go around, though … you know, you can’t really not like her. She’s awesome.

8. Ray says:

I thought this show had some pretty great episodes during its initial run, although some were misses. Hopefully the tweaks will only improve upon the quality and *not* do away with the adult humor and double entendres.

• Paisley says:

YES! That’s my main concern, too. I don’t want the writers to dumb the show down. The adult humor and double entendres are what make the show so funny! And Miss Piggy, of course!

9. Pepe "The King" Prawn says:

New Light The Lights Muppet Promo

10. Paisley says:

I’m rooting for this show, too! I’m not a big TV watcher, and this is one of the few shows I actually made it a point to watch live/DVR. I found the first half of the season hilarious and didn’t see the need for it to be revamped. I LOVE Miss Piggy and her attitude! She cracks me up! I don’t want her being nice or toned down. I’m REALLY hoping the show’s reboot doesn’t stray too far away from the tone of the first half of the season, and that I’m still able to love it. Go Muppets!!

11. DavidJ says:

The tweaks definitely sound like what the show needed. I thought the original version still worked fairly well for the most part, but it DID seem to be missing the innocent spirit of the old show and made the characters just a bit too cold and cynical for my taste.

12. Quinn says:

They need to get rid of up late with Miss Piggy and change it to a 30 rock type background like the first series so we can have more of the muppets. There was never enough of the other muppets in the series. I mean gonzo was hardly in it. I like they made Miss Piggy more likable. Get rid of Denise and Fonzie girlfriend is the other thing to do. It was getting better toward the last half of the series. The first show runner quest to make the series real was a mistake. We know its not so why try? The love or the heart of the muppets is what’s missing.

• Paisley says:

Ha! You can NEVER have too much Miss Piggy! And MANY of the muppets had stories the first half of the season! Maybe not the muppets YOU wanted to have stories, but plenty of them did, in fact, have them. I do agree that Denise can go, though. Lol.

13. Bill says:

I really have liked the show so far; I think it’s hilarious. But I can understand some of the complaints, especially about the Piggy character. It seemed every week she was getting into some feud with a female guest-star, and it was getting really old, really quick. But it’s a promising show, and I hope it sticks around.

14. Lik says:

I love the muppets. Ms. Piggy is always a hoot!

15. I enjoyed the first 10 episodes.

16. Leah says:

I still can’t help but wonder: where is Walter? Where are the chickens? Pigs in Space? Those adorable little pink creatures that sing the Manamana song?

But really, WHERE’S WALTER?! Can’t they remove that awful IT guy and put Walter on instead?

17. jody says:

I hope that they bring back Dr Teeth and The Electric Mayhem Band. I loved them playing classic rock songs!!!

18. Jody Bowling says:

I hope they bring back Dr.Teeth and The Electric Mayhem Band.I loved it when they played the classic rock songs!!

19. steve says:

YES! i TOTALLY agree that the show the way it was setup orig lacked the energy&fun we have always loved about the muppets. having piggy&kermit@odds was a BAD idea! i watched a few epp. to give it a chance & HONESTLY….”where were the laughs”? it was very dry. not at ALL what i was expexting. since i know that changes have been made, i will give it a second watch. a suggestion…..ABC needs to PROMO the “new&improved” show for fans that dont have accrss to this info.already.

• Mupp Freek says:

I agree. Four days away from new batch of episodes and i’ve been very disappointed that there hasn’t been more a publicity push. I mean, if one of the main goals of a retooling is to regain lost viewers, there needs to be a blitz geared towards reaching those who haven’t been watching lately. The news & promotion has been out there for those who are current viewers – but without more of an outreach to those not currently tuning in, how are the numbers going to increase which is the ultimate goal? The publicity has been only slightly higher than that of the average regular new episode. I really fear these new episodes will be awesome but the same-day numbers will be disappointing not getting the level of boost they were wanting. Tuesday is one of the most competitive timeslots and i hope if the numbers aren’t as high as ABC’d like, that they at least still renew them for a second season and get them out of doomed-to-fail Tuesdays and into the far more appropriate Wednesday comedy block. (This show is so meant to be paired up with The Goldbergs!)

At least the biggest thing “The Muppets” has in their favor is that they have the highest season-to-date average demos of all ABC’s freshman year shows.

20. Bill says:

Frankly,
    Bringing in someone behind Galavant is the best decision they could have ever made.

Galavant has more in common with the original Muppets than the current Muppet TV show.

21. Mark says:

I liked the show as it was and hope the changes aren’t too severe a shift. Uncle Deadly, Big Mean Carl, Rizzo, PePe, Yolanda have had some of the best moments outside the main characters. My question is where’s Walter? He was featured in the 10 minute pilot, but not in the show at all.

22. Whatevah says:

I didn’t think it was bad to begin with so I’m sure this will be great!

23. janet Smith says:

When you hear Muppets, you think children’s show. The new Muppets Show is not for children but a lot of adults don’t know that and sit their kids down in front of it and it is not appropriate for them. Why did you do this? Their are enough adult venues people can watch if they chose too. You are not on late enough, for adult Muppets.

24. Esther Renee Minor says:

I’m a true Musket Show fan, from way back. The Muppets have made me laugh out loud for many, many years & was very happy to hear that ABC was bringing them back to TV. Bring the old “Muppet-magic” back. Love watching Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie & the rest of the gang!

25. Peach says:

Double entendres and crude humor is not funny…..they are dumbed-down jokes for idiots. No more, please.

26. Gene says:

Anyone know the name of the song Kermit and miss piggy sang on the last episode?