Why The Good Wife Needs to End This Season (Listen Up, CBS)

Chances are, you won’t hear a Kenny Rogers classic playing in the background of The Good Wife anytime soon (eclectic as the show’s soundtrack can sometimes be). And yet as CBS ponders the fate of its acclaimed Sunday-night drama in the wake of creators Robert and Michelle King announcing they’ll step down as showrunners at the end of Season 7, here’s hoping they’ll heed the immortal words of “The Gambler” and prove they “know when to hold ’em, know when to fold ’em… know when to walk away, and know when to run.”

Sure, the show’s last fresh episode on Jan. 18 marked a season-high rating (8.1 million viewers and a 1.2 demo rating), but for network brass, this has to be — or at least should be — a decision that’s as much about legacy as it is about numbers.

Imagine, for a second, an eighth book in the Harry Potter series penned by someone other than J.K. Rowling. Or a revival of 30 Rock without Tina Fey in the writers’ room.

An eighth season of Good Wife without its creators seems similarly blashphemous — especially since the husband-and-wife duo have been quoted as saying they always approached the series with a seven-year plan in mind, and are reportedly plotting a season finale that will serve as their idealized series finale.

Titular star Julianna Margulies added fuel to the fire last weekend when she joked at an event honoring the Kings (and chock full of casting directors) that she’ll be unemployed come April. Yet while her remarks kicked off a firestorm of “Is there a Good Wife without the good wife?” conversations, the truth of the matter is this is the Kings’ story — warts and green screens and all. Without their keen eye for backroom politics (both in the office and on the campaign trail), their insight into the Iowamaddening, madcap world of the U.S. justice system and their wicked, wicked wit (that gives The Good Wife a better laughs-per-minute ratio than 90 percent of current sitcoms), it’s hard to fathom the series having garnered a whopping 39 Primetime Emmy Award nominations since 2010.

It would be disingenuous not to note that, since its landmark fifth season, The Good Wife has become an altogether less consistent and less satisfying beast. In fact, as I pointed out in my recap of the Jan. 18 installment, “in the wake of the death of Josh Charles’ Will Gardner, the core characters of CBS’ Sunday-night drama have been doing their best impressions of hamsters on wheels — working themselves into sweaty lathers but winding up exactly where they started their journeys.”

And then, of course, there’s the matter of the show’s alleged behind-the-scenes drama, a point utterly unworthy of mentioning, except for the fact that efforts to keep separate Margulies’ Alicia and Archie Panjabi’s Kalinda ultimately damaged the quality of what was happening onscreen — and resulted in one of the most infuriating/laughable green-screen moments in TV history. (If that last sentence has you utterly bewildered, just click here.)

Fan favorites Christine Baranski, Matt Czuchry and Zach Grenier have been given about as much to do in Season 7 as Ben Carson during a Republican debate about foreign policy. Other characters — Finn! Zach! Robyn! — have fallen from the radar like that Democrat who’s not Hillary or Bernie.

And yet still, for Good Wife die-hards (there are still close to 10 million of us, BTW), hope blazes almost as hot as the chemistry between Alicia and Jeffrey Dean Morgan’s Jason. That’s because the Kings have personally penned the scripts for “Oppo Research,” “Dramatics Your Honor,” “Everything Is Ending,” “Red Team, Blue Team,” “Blue Ribbon Panel,” “Great Firewall,” “Pilot,” (and especially) “Hitting the Fan” (aka one of the great hours of modern television).

So, if the Kings have a destination in mind for Alicia Florrick and all the characters in her orbit, they’ve certainly earned the right to deliver them to that location — without anyone tampering with the GPS at a later date. If that’s not convincing enough for you, consider this: If CBS makes the official cancellation announcement in the next week or two, Margulies, Baranski, Czuchry & Co. will be freed up for Pilot Season 2016.

Do you think The Good Wife should wrap after Season 7? Or would you like more seasons with a new showrunner? Take our poll below, then expand on your thoughts in the comments!

• Z says:

Here’s my Pick: end this season the way the Kings have planned, with the exit of Alicia and the whole Florrick clan.

Then the Good Wife 2.0: set at Lockhart-Agos (or Agos-Lockhart-Lee-Queen or whatever) after Lucca has joined the firm, introduces a new female lawyer (a person of color maybe? mix raced?Asian? Native American?) who may be the new “good wife” (or not?! Diane is married too after all, and I like Gary Cole as a recurring character). This time everybody gets screentime.
      It may only last one season, but I would be ok with that.

• Eurydice says:

Sure, there’s already Chicago PD, Chicago Fire, Chicago Hope, Chicago whatever – might as well turn it into Chicago Law.

• EllenAce says:

Love TGW! However, I believe they should wrap it up. If the writers seem disenchanted and the primary core character is obviously not fully invested, since announcing she’ll be available for work elsewhere, come April, what’s the point?!

It would have been wise for the writers to finally release Alicia from Peter, which would automatically increase screen time for the original cast members to interact with her, (when the show shines), allowing her to gain insight, strengthen family relationships and friendships. After all, Eli is not the true source of her pain/hurt–it’s Peter. This amazing show could have become an award wining contender for seasons to come. It’s a real shame.

• James Butler says:

You may not like Peter’s character but he is the only real help she has. The storytellers pretending that they are still married because she is during Peter a favor is a lie. Every mistake Alicia’s character made, Peter got her out of it. Being divorced from her would have been to his advantage, not hanging on to a falsehood while his wife committed adultery. Photo shoots with the two of them did nothing for his rise from jail to running for president. The only time you see them together is when the script requires he plays the bad person in Alicia’s bad choices. She has succeeded in nothing she tried form the time she first slept with her boss, who, though deceased, seem to be in every episode in flashbacks or conversation

• MJ says:

She not the one who wants the show to end!!!!!

• EllenAce says:

Love TGW! I want to wish Julianna Margulies and her hubby, all the best. It was a great run.

I have already noticed the writers have been disenchanted, for quite some time. The next obvious clue that the show is over, was the announcement from the primary core character herself, (JM), during a congrats speech recently, honoring the Kings, announcing her unemployment, this coming April. Whether this inappropriate commentary was a joke or not, passive aggressive, etc., I got the message, loud and clear.

She’s no longer invested and neither are the writers. Oh well, all the best and it could have been great–for this season and beyond.

1. Mr. Tran K says:

TGW should end after this season whether CBS likes it or not.

2. ABG says:

End it. I still really like it, but there’s no momentum this season.

3. RCD says:

I’ll just say this…Season 7 of Gilmore Girls

• Stacie says:

100% I have watched every episode of The Good Wife and have been a fan, but it needs to end. The show is just overdone. I know it’s still getting ratings, but it’s not anything crazy. It’ll be sad when it ends, but it’ll be more sad if the show continues and the show is even more of a shell than what it already is, ala The Gilmore Girls. Nobody wants that from a show they have really enjoyed.

• B says:

I literally came to the comment section just to make this comment.

• JK says:

I was coming down here to say the exact same thing. Plus I feel like we’re just rehashing old story line, except the presidency, not governorship. they could have kept Alicia’s story going if she would have stayed with Cary & their plans continued. Ugh. So frustrating.

• Mm says:

Not exactly the same because literally nearly every single episode of GG was written by one of the Palladinos, while TGW has more of a writers’ room. Still, it should end with JM, but I still want a spin-off with Cary, Lucca, and Dianne.

• lkh says:

RCD–first thing that jumped into my mind.

• Tony says:

How about Scrubs? Great quality sitcom that went off tracks as near every cast member jumped ship and the show tried to continue with new characters? And DALLAS, which suffered the same humiliation as actors left the show and leaving only Larry Hagman grasping on for dear life to a show that died about five years earlier – and facing a ghostly Joel Grey in a silly It’s a Wonderful Life mockup? Or The West Wing, which just lost its way after Sorkin left and stories just got more meandering and characters more lifeless?

CBS … let the GW go while it is still close to the top.

• Idgie says:

The Gilmore Girls is not really a good example, for how the quality of a show deteriorates after the original show runner leaves. The difference is that Amy Pallidino’s season six was a deliberate act to sabotage the show, because of the animosity between her and the network. Her story lines were insipid and painted the show into a corner. Please…Lorelei and Luke break up over his discovering he had a daughter from a long past relationship is absolutely ridiculous, considering their solid and very loving and trusting relationship while together. Then if that is not bad enough, Lorelei beds Christopher that same night. Comfort would have been one thing, they were always close but SEX. She was absolutely heartbroken. The team that took over for Pallidino were stuck with a mess of a show! Michele King would never do that and would leave the show on solid ground…if it were to continue after her. I am not necessarily saying it should continue, just that using the Gilmore Girls is not a good example. By the way, shame on you Pallidino for being so vindictive that you were willing to destroy the glorious gem Gilmore Girls because of your ego!!!

• Whatevah says:

^^THIS^^

• Pixel says:

IMO the complete sidelining of Cary and Diane characters and the fact they’re a shadow of the characters we loved IS a sabotage. If the Kings leave, AC leaves and even JM is willing to leave and Cary and Diane were turned into special guest stars without a storyline how can that show survive for another season? With Lucca?

• David4 says:

You mean decent finale season after two seasons of the show runners destroying a the characters?

4. Seasons six through 11 of Supernatural — wait, are we listing failures or shows that continued to thrive after the original showrunner left?

5. johnhelvete says:

7 years is a great run, I might not agree with every word of this article but it is time to end TGW.

6. DanielleZ says:

I couldn’t agree more. The Good Wife is awful this season. I gave up after the first 4 episodes. It’s the same old, same old and obviously Julianna Margulies is not the reason I watched the show up until then. It needs to end already!

7. H says:

I hope Margulies walks so CBS won’t have much of a choice.

8. Pedro says:

Is there any chance that someone from CBS reads this? Though it breaks my heart to say it, TGW SHOULD be cancelled. It’s my favorite TV show, but I’d rather have a planned and well-written end than a poorly one from someone who doesn’t know its core like the Kings do.

• Chloe7 says:

It cannot compare (as big shows go) with Blacklist. Americans it would seem are stuck into two wings, left and right. TGW is SO last century politics. If they foresaw Trump and new politics they could’ve done something about their old stade lying politicking genre. It’s gone forever in my opinion. Alicia’s been lying on every public stage, thanks to Eli Gold and it’s so passe in the new straight talk way, Trump talks – I think…

9. JosiahBartlet4President says:

Never known a network to end a money-making, highly rated show until the network bled it totally dry.

• Jennifer says:

Lost.

• rowan77 says:

Not a good example. Not a highly rated show after season 2. They hemorrhaged viewers and money (big cast, exotic locations, with less and less ad revenue each season. They kept it on for the prestige and wanted to know when it was ending back in season 3.

• Adam says:

Lost’s viewership was never really that bad, it just couldn’t maintain the 20 million viewers that it was in the first season finale. It was still one of TV’s most anticipated and talked about shows ranking at its lowest as 31st most popular show in viewership with over 10 million viewers. It’s not like ABC had any reason to rush it to cancelation, but they didn’t want a disaster on their hands.

• xoxo says:

TGW is not highly rated… it is actually very low rated most of the time… yes one Sunday it scored 1,2 but otherwise it has scored a lot of 1,0 and below this year… and it has even hit below 8mio viewers a couple of times… and that is very very few viewers for a CBS show… not to mention beside Margo the show is not really award gold anymore… and basically a lot of critics has been after it this year… TVline is not the only critic site begging for it to end…

• MJ says:

I don’t understand either??!

10. Sandy Duncan's Eye on Network TV says:

I didn’t think it could get any worse than Alicia’s campaign but this season has been bleak, devoid of any heart and has relegated Cary and Diane to little more than guest stars. Kalinda’s absence is troubling and the handling really puts the purported Marguiles “issues” ahead of the core of the show. The last 2 years have not been kind and I suspect that next season would follow that trend if renewed.

11. matty says:

I’m in the 10% that think that TGW should go at least one more season and allow the writers to craft a truly satisfying final season, one that closes up all the loose ends.

12. Kat says:

I like Julianna Margulies as an actress and her work on this show has been excellent. BUT who is she going to listen to once the Kings are gone? Comments that she has made about her Alicia’s relationship with other characters (Kalinda and Finn) lead me to believe that her opposition to potential stories involving those characters undermined the on-screen drama and created behind-the-scene drama. That is my sense from what has been said in interviews and from reading between the lines of what was said in those interviews.

I will watch JM in another show because she is talented. But I don’t think her off-screen input, at least in the instances I mentioned, served TGW well. So when the Kings leave, CBS needs to turn the lights off on the show.

13. NM says:

Seasons 5, 6 and 7 seem to be the same season with just alternative pathways. The Kings leaving now or then is regardless. I think a fresh showrunner could prove positive if The Good Wife was given a revamp for one season (like a trial season) with a time jump included.

14. Jason says:

I love this show but I agree that it’s time to end with dignity. The ratings, even with an uptick, are low by CBS standards so I don’t understand why they would need it back so desperately. If the prestige it brings holds some sway I would think that cache lessened by the departure of the Kings. Frustrated as I’ve been with the storytelling over the last season, it’s their swan song to deliver.

15. Kat says:

I know the Kings have something in the works for after TGW. But I think “Eli and Elsbeth” (my working title) would make a great spinoff series.

• Annie says:

ZOMG YES. That would fill the hole in my heart when TGW ends.
      Though I have a sneaking suspicion that Alicia and Eli are going to end up together, so any spinoff we’d want to see her pop in every so often

• Michelle says:

I don’t understand what comment you are talking about. You did not make a comment about the show. Or I missed it.

• Michelle T says:

I like this season because I like Alicia and Jason together. I thought it was really funny when her husband found out about them. He didn’t like having the tables turned on him. The character I would most like to get another show is Elspeth (not sure if I spelled that right). I think she is the best character on the show.

16. Emily says:

Did we learn nothing from the later years of Gilmore Girls? !

17. Mariah C says:

Even though I try….I can’t let go

18. Donna says:

I don’t think it should continue without the creators. Gilmore Girls failed miserably when they tried this.

19. Jennifer says:

The creators and showrunners of LOST decided to end it on their own terms even though I’m sure ABC would have wanted to keep it going and the series as a whole is better because of it. Also, season seven of GILMORE GIRLS…

• Sally Cat says:

Just think of how much more satisfying the end of LOST might have been if the show had been allowed to go on a little longer? I don’t know about you, but I felt totally gypped.

• Annie says:

Ditto. I would have loved to see LOST continue for like 4 more seasons, whether or not we got more answers (which would have been nice because that ending is the actual worst) or just to watch the madness spread and the show decend into anarchy (which would have been fun in a different way).

20. Jimmy says:

Couldn’t agree more. I’ve been a fan of this series since the beginning and still get quite a lot of enjoyment from watching it. That said, they should heed Kenny’s advice and know when to fold ’em. Another season would do it no justice. Are they going to drag on with Peter’s political story? Are they going to drag on with Alicia and Lockhart Agos Lee always being at war with each other? All of those plots bore me to tears. I’ll still watch because even when it’s mediocre TGW is still great television compared to most of what’s out there.

21. Longmire4ever says:

I love Jeffrey Dean Morgan and is the only reason I continue to watch season 7. When the creators leave the show the network should cancel especially TGW. The. Kings writing is. Top notch and there is no replacing them.

22. Sally McLinn says:

Michael, all they need do is get another baddy client like Lemond Bishop. Get a baddy hedge fund manager. Someone who can carry a long story arc. The clients they have now are super boring.

23. Sally Cat says:

How about this: Do another season. Anyone who thinks it should end, just DON’T WATCH. Let the rest of us have our fun, What’s it to you? You can still have your ending. Then we can have ours (later).

• xoxo says:

You are seriously not getting it are you? that the kings had always planned their end…planned the journey… if they are to leave it open to be continued without certain actors bc neither Alan, CN, nor JMD seems to be coming back hell possible even JM herself… they might need to do things to these characters they had never planned to make sure they aren’t needed to be around for next season… that means it might screw up the end the kings had always planned…

24. abz says:

I’m so torn. On the one hand, you bring up some good points, Michael. But on the other hand, I’m such a die hard fan of this show. It’s definitely one of if not my favourite show that I’ve ever watched. I feel like it could go on for at least one more season. I still enjoy it so much, flaws and all, and I look forward to it every week.

25. pAloma says:

The Good Wife has been awful for a long while. Used to be something I watched live, but it’s past time that it went bye bye.

26. KLS says:

It’s always a risk to replace the original creators/showrunners of a successful show. Look what happened to Castle this year. It may come down to money and what CBS has in the bin to replace it. The salaries, after seven years, may be too high making the production costs not feasible. But, I think this article is about the creative side and will/should CBS risk TGW’s legacy for one or two more years? Reboots don’t always work.

27. Tammy says:

If you are not interested then don’t watch! The easiest thing to do in this world is be a critic ! Get over what you don’t or do want. !!! How many channels do you have ? Change it and use your time for something better than whining ! How about picking a show you enjoy and talk about that in your articles!

• Eran says:

Honestly, what an asinine, immature comment! This is a serious television website where part of the job is to critique television shows, including the ones you’re a fan of and it is common knowledge that MA has championed The Good Wife from day one.
      If you think critiquing is whining then you would be wise to stick to reality television or fan forums where the only currency is blind praise and romantic coupling chatter.
      Only the most loyal of fans could write such a piece with which I agree, 200 percent, having never missed an episode.
      The show is running on empty. It needs to go and protect its legacy. And if you can’t handle a critical discussion then maybe this isn’t the forum for you either.

• James Butler says:

Tammy and all other fans who can’t get enough of a bad thing; “Hang In There.”

28. rowan77 says:

Michael, I couldn’t have said it better. Quality has suffered. Better to end this season on a strong note then go limping off a season or two past its use by date.

29. Kailani says:

I don’t care what TV show it is, when you develop a habit of running the same story lines over and over, it’s past TIME TO GO. TGW is a prime example. It was awesome for a long time, but it’s been a while since that time has passed.

30. Cate says:

Honestly, the show should have ended after season 5. That was the last truly good season. Last season was an inconsistent mess and this season was so bad, I actually stopped watching after sticking with the show for 6 years.

Needless to say, I think it should end this year. They could always do a spin-off series with Eli or Diane and Cary if CBS wants the ratings that badly.

31. Ethan says:

The thing is I don’t know what the King’s endgame for Alicia is. I thought couple seasons back that she would enter politics and rise above Peter. Now obviously this plot ended at the end of last season so I don’t know is Alicia heading toward this season. There doesn’t seem to be a direction to the show and it’s very apparent given that the Kings only wrote the pilot this season and nothing else since then. Given that there is only 9 episodes left this season, can the Kings really wrap things up?

My bet is CBS will renew this with a shorter 13 episode next season to really wrap the series up.

• abz says:

Yeah, nine episodes just doesn’t feel like it’s enough to wrap things up. It feels like Alicia is stuck. She’s losing all the people around her. They have either left her or she has pushed them away. They need to deal with her professional life as well as her romantic life once and for all. She’s miserable.
      I’d love to see it renewed even for a shortened final 13 episode season to wrap things up nicely not just for Alicia, but some of the other characters too. I wish they’d bring back Diane’s judgeship storyline. I would love to see her finally get it this time around and watch how she navigates becoming a new judge. And with Cary, I’d love for him to be finally happy and to have him actually do something real and fulfilling. They give him little things to do here in there, but he just looks unhappy. Very solemn. They need to breathe some life back into Cary.

32. wonderwall says:

It should’ve ended 2 seasons ago

33. peterwdawson says:

I’m a bit shocked, I expected a lot of fans to vote now, but it looks like the ones on this site at least are generally in agreement about it perhaps being time.

34. Liz says:

They should think about Gilmore Girls, and how bad that horrible last season was without the show’s creator on board…

35. cuius says:

Summing up – if you want to become a 14-seasoner with “awesome” poll ratings, stick to the basic six plots/scripts repeated in random order (but with an explosion for the season finale), and the only character change allowed is a new hair style for the lead

36. CBScontinueTGW says:

No, not at all. CBS should continue and hire writers (perhaps they can get some from the first two seasons who jumped ship?) who don’t see this as The Alicia Show – but turn the ship around to its original course and produce must-see quality TV again. Interesting court cases and an ensemble of interesting characters.

Will Gardner was kept on the show way too long and now they bring him up again instead of moving forward. Yawn. I miss Diane and Cary having real storylines. Peter is all but absent and it makes zero sense for Alicia to stay married to him. In fact, it makes her look as bad as some real-life dishonest career politicians. I’ve lost all respect for the current version of Alicia.

TGW couldn’t achieve the quality of the first or even second season in a long time. Here’s to hoping that new showrunners and writers will do better. A lot better.

• James Butler says:

Thanks for saying that. I’ve been saying the same thing for two and a half seasons.

• bellabella says:

I agree, yesterdays show with Alicia’s constant depressed face, moaning for Will, who supposedly has been dead fir 6 years and then the meltdown did it for me. I am done with this show. What a waste of time. I used to love it, it was good legal drama, but now its a soapy soap opera.
      They should get off the air now.

37. Savannah says:

This passive agressive charade must end. This show needs a bitch slap

38. Gwen says:

As much as we still enjoy watching, now that the awful “Peter for President” story line is finished (although thank you for bringing us the wonderful Margo Martindale!), I would like to see Alicia end up back at Lockhart Agos. The series was always at its best when there was the interaction between Alicia, Diane and Cary. And Lucca should go with Alicia. We like her character, too. I agree that this should be the last season.

39. Gerald Christie says:

Honestly, they should just end it because it isn’t any good anymore and not because of the fact that they won’t supervise a possible S7

40. Sabrina says:

End the show. It should go out on a high note in the way the creators intended it to.

41. mark says:

The show’s story line is supposed to take place in Chicago Illinois. They actually filmed it in New York City. I don’t understand why they had to film in New York instead of Chicago.

• KLS says:

So? What difference does it make where they film it?

• xoxo says:

bc JM lives in NY… it was really set to film i think LA or something… but she wouldnt take the role if it meant she had to leave her family… why it was moved to NY… it was however never meant to film in Chicago…

• drhenning says:

It’s filmed in NYC because the actors live there and didn’t want to move. There are several shows like that.. Madame Sec is the same thing… Tea lives in NY and NYC now has the ability to put do shows because of the studios.. Same with The Americans for the same reason.. actor’s desires and infrastructure… Not always true even today.. Castle is filmed in LA… Suits is Canada… I’m not a watcher of the all the new Chicago shows but I presume they are in the Windy City because of the location shooting. Revenge was a big joke to people who know NY geography because they were zipping back and forth from the Hamptons in what seemed like minutes from NYC. It of course was all shot in LA… Beach scenes on that show always bothered me since it showed sunsets you would never get around NY….

42. Pixel says:

That looks like a no-win situation. IMO that should be the last season…but as series final that season sucks and I don’t see how they can reverse that thing with just 10 episodes left. So maybe they should have more time to wrap everything (Cary and Diane’s final storyarcs included). Maybe a shorter season 8? But on the other hand Christine Baranski and Matt Czuchry have already wasted enough time with that show, writers don’t know what to do with them and with the show in general and once the Kings will leave I don’t think things will improve. So a season 8 doesn’t look a good idea anyway.
    As for a spin-off, IMO the only characters who could have had an interesting spin-off are the ones who left or the ones they’ve moved to “guest stars with nothing really interesting to do” status (aKa Diane, Cary & Co.) and in any case right now they are too good to be wasted into a spin-off anyway so I’m not interested in that prospect.

43. Gerald says:

If the creators are writing a series finale that is satisfying then Yes by all means end it. Give that prime time slot to another show like Limitless…. or even Amazing Race.

44. iakovos says:

Well written. I agree. CBS did this show no favors moving it to Sunday and then upending its start times with football overruns. I gave up on it s a couple years back, but revisit from time to time. The acting is sooooooooo good!

45. daysbradypats says:

I’m very curious to know just how much the Kings’ ideal finale story has changed since Josh Charles’ departure.

46. CJ says:

We don’t need another Gilmore Girls on our hands – although I am thoroughly looking forward to a Netflix reunion – wouldn’t it have been great to hear those last words from ASP when they were meant to be heard.
    Good Wife should end the way the creators intended it to end.

47. Antonio Kerty Mota says:

Love the show and I will miss it dearly, but it’s best to end while there’s still some dignity then to wait for it to become a joke – If the Kings themselves already made some, let’s put it this way, very questionable decisions in the last couple of years, I can’t and don’t want to imagine what a different showrunner could do.

48. Pearl says:

Why would you want to end such a wonderful show? Alicia needs a new love interest. She doesn’t need her ex – he lost the election, now she can move on with her life. She needs to get involved with here future away from her ex.

49. Tonya Goode says: