Post Mortems
Suits Season 5 Spoilers

Suits Boss on Who Sold Out Mike, What's Next for Harvey and Donna

Warning: The following contains spoilers from Wednesday’s premiere of Suits

Mike Ross, they’re coming for you — or more precisely, AUSA Anita Gibbs (24‘s Leslie Hope) is gunning for the faux lawyer and his colleagues/co-conspirators following Suits‘ return on Wednesday.

A quick recap of the premiere: While Anita went about building her case, Mike and Harvey were on their own quest to find out who turned Mr. Ross in to the authorities. (“Not I!” claimed Trevor and Scottie.) Elsewhere, ignoring Jessica and Louis’ warnings to stay far away from the situation, Rachel stood by her fiancé Mike, much to her father’s disapproval. (He now knows the secret, too, and he’s mad.) Donna also offered her help to Harvey — and then ended up reclaiming her old position as his secretary!

Below, executive producer Aaron Korsh previews the firm’s new battle, Mike and Rachel’s future and the “interesting scenes” coming up for “Darvey.” Plus, the EP reveals when viewers will discover who spilled the beans about Mike.

TVLINE | At this point, Anita Gibbs doesn’t know that Jessica, Donna, Louis and Rachel are also in on Mike’s secret, right?
I don’t think she knows anything for sure. I don’t know how much she’s looked into any of them. She, obviously, knows Mike was hired and works for Harvey, so once she goes digging, she’s going to start having her suspicions. But she believes somebody knew, and she’s trying to find out how far the conspiracy goes.

Suits Season 5B SpoilersTVLINE | How will her investigation affect the rest of the firm?
Massively. [Laughs] As it would and as it should. As an aside, we did a little research… There was an attorney who basically said, “They don’t want the dealer. They want the supplier.” Their notion is, “It couldn’t have stopped here,” and they’re going to use whatever means necessary to get to the bottom of the truth, and that means applying pressure wherever they can, in whatever way they can, to get anyone who might know something to give it up. That’s going to be the driving force behind the last six [episodes] is, “Can we hang together?”

TVLINE | Was Trevor telling the truth that it wasn’t him who told on Mike?
I believe that Trevor really has turned over a new leaf. So I believe that Trevor means what he says when he talks to Mike in that scene. That does not mean Trevor won’t, possibly, be put in a position to have to do something to Mike.

TVLINE | Will we find out who did turn Mike in?
We will find that out relatively soon after [tonight’s episode].

TVLINE | You could argue that Mike isn’t really hurting anyone by pretending to be a lawyer, but he did break the law. How much will he be struggling with that? Is there a crisis of conscience for him?
Yes and no. He does understand that he did it. I guess in various ways he will have crises of conscience, but that is not going to stop them from trying to make the consequences of this thing be as soft as possible. But I don’t forget, and I don’t think the audience should forget, that we did this. Some of the questions I get are like, “This Anita Gibbs is so tough and ruthless and harsh,” and I’m like, “Let’s not forget, they did this crime. She’s trying to put them away for a crime they actually did.”

Suits Season 5B SpoilersTVLINE | What kind of strain will this have on Mike and Rachel? Is the wedding on hold indefinitely?
They’re probably not going to go out and have the wedding while this is hanging over their heads. On the other hand, life goes on. For the time being, the wedding will be put on hold, but we will not forget that there was supposed to be a wedding.

TVLINE | How does Donna’s father (played by Derek McGrath) fit into this picture?
[Anita Gibbs] would press and try to find out who knew about this thing and who’s willing to say that the person above them knew. One of the places she’s going to start is with Donna. That’s going to get Donna’s father involved in this thing because Donna’s father has a vulnerability, a past indiscretion. That’s going to result in some flashback scenes — not a flashback episode – and a look at Donna’s father’s history with both Donna and Harvey.

TVLINE | What happens to Gretchen with Donna back on Harvey’s desk? Is she out of a job?
I think you can do the math that maybe there’s going to be a little Do-si-do happening. We will answer that in the beginning of [the Feb. 3 episode], and then we have a little twist on it at the end, a little reveal that is pretty cool and juicy.

Suits Season 5B SpoilersTVLINE | Will the dynamic between Donna and Harvey be different now?
If Mike weren’t under investigation, I think their dynamic would be different in the back six [episodes] than it is now. But, then again, if Mike weren’t under investigation, she might never have gone back to his desk. So I would say it’s difficult for them to grow too much in their dynamic because much of the back six is about dealing with the crisis that is in front of them. But they’re back together, and things are going to change a little bit. We’re going to have some interesting scenes with them as a result of it. Certainly, the scene where they get back together is going to be a fan favorite, I hope.

Suits fans, what did you think of the episode? Grade it via the poll below, then hit the comments to back up your pick!

Watch Donna and Harvey’s “reunion” scene below.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Dj says:

What an intense episode. Can an entire cast get a honorable mention for performer of the week.

2. Kevin Fowler says:

Looks like from promo from next episode Donna sold mike out. And if you Harvey and Jessica should tear her to spreads in court and then show her the door.

• xomylifexo says:

Yeah, promos are never intentionally misleading.

• Kevin Fowler says:

Come on you know as well as I that is always someone you don’t expect that does the bad deed.

• GW says:

Gretchen she is the new one on the scene so she would be the one to least expect besides Rachel’s mom

• tvjunkie says:

I don’t recall either of those characters having known about MIke’s secret. It’d be difficult for someone who doesn’t know it to turn him in for it.

• Fluffy says:

Think they tease with promo’s so that one would think so, but I don’t think Donna would ever turn on them. She loves Harvey to much, and Rachel (Well I pray that’s the case). Can’t wait…. BEST SHOW!!!

3. madhatter says:

I’ve been wondering if Mike and Rachel might elope so that they’ll have spousal privilege.

• LW says:

Spousal communications privilege doesn’t apply to communications made before marriage (in most jurisdictions. SCOTUS hasn’t explicitly ruled on it yet). Even if they were to marry, Rachel would most likely still be subpoenaed to testify about anything he told her before they married. Interesting thought, though!

• T says:

Right, but the point isn’t about the spousal communications privilege, it’s about the spousal testimonial privilege. Whether the previous communications are privileged or not, the federal prosecutor can’t compel the wife to testify against the husband in the first place.

4. kerra says:

what if harvey and mike quit the firm and start their own practice with the whole team and compete against jack?

5. Terry says:

Ok, here is my big question. Once they get MIke out of this situation, and you know they will, how does he ever get to practice law again or go back into a courtroom? Can he just take the bar exam without ever having gone to law school? Any ideas?

• Shaun says:

If they win then there will be no proof he was never a lawyer.He can’t just restart unless it’s in another city I’d guess.

• GW says:

They will prove that he is a lawyer amd once he is ftee and clear he is on a mission of seek and destroy

• tvjunkie says:

They don’t have to prove he’s a lawyer. The US Attorney has to prove he isn’t a lawyer and she fails in that then in the eyes of the law he is a lawyer, case closed, he’s free to practice wherever he wants.

• cuius says:

It’s going to be the basis for a new show – The Grinder 2

• Me says:

There is such a thing as “reading for the bar” which takes the place of law school. It is only available in around 2 states. It involves showing a knowledge of the law, and basically an internship for a number of years. It takes far longer then going to law school and is only excepted in those two states. However, an individual wishing to sit for the bar after “reading for the bar” still have to pass a character and fitness background check. Mike would never pass with his past. But hey, the currently only have one person on conspiracy charges which requires at least two people and it’s a tv show… So who knows! But that would be the way you can take the bar without law school.

• tvjunkie says:

Unless the US attorney proves he’s not a lawyer, in which case he ends up in prison, then you question is a moot point. He’s already a member of the bar a far as the records are concerned. Remember someone hacked the system and put him in, just like they did with Harvard.

6. venus says:

Someone please explain to me like I’m seven. Why did Louis fire Donna? How is she supposed to look less guilty if she comes back to work for Harvey now? Sorry, writers…. sorry, world :-(

• Eric says:

He was trying to fire her to orotect her. He knew that if she kept doing what she’. Doing that she’d have a chance to go to prision. But then he realized that Harvey needs Donna now to fix this situation and Louis has hope that Harvey can fix this.

7. MattySi says:

Who else thinks it was Mikes old girlfriend/fling that Rachel went to? I don’t remember the characters name but she was played by Troian Bellsario from Pretty Little Liars and is actually Patrick J Abrams’ real life fiance. Claire, that’s her name. I wiki’d it.

8. Charles g says:

I believe it is the priest. To me it is the only way he can get out of this by stating his admission was a confession and therefore, privileged.

9. Joey Padron says:

New episode was good but so intense. Things are not looking good for Mike, Rachel, Havrey, and others. Glad Harvey and Donna are back to working together again.

10. Bwhit says:

That exceeded my expectations for the season premiere. I love that neither Mike or Harvey even thought of saving their own tails, they started this together and will end it together. I thought maybe Robert sold him out but I’m happy he didn’t because that would have just made everything ten times worse in Mike’s life with Rachel. I have no idea at this point, I feel like Claire and the priest are just too obvious.

11. Gerald says:

SO AWESOME. This show is the best. Dang it. Only 5 more episodes this season.
    WHY is there not more episodes in a season.
    WHY do all these actors not have SAG, Golden Globe and Emmy nominations!!!
    Have to say Loved how Mike was on point with the US Marshal in his cell and the camera serial number from the “Confession” video he was making.
    LOVE IT.

12. aph1976 says:

I think Mike and Rachel will get married soon because they love each other and also because then neither can be forced to testify against the other.I also wondering who did turn Mike in and the motives behind it.Was it to hurt Mike or hurt the firm or even both?Plus i also wonder if Mike is cleared and he’s still able to practice law he decides not to because he may know eyes may be on him from now on.

13. MMD says:

Excellent, excellent winter premiere episode! This show never disappoints and is one of my favourites. It is beyond me why this show doesn’t get more recognition.

I believe that Aaron Korsh said that the person that turned Mike in did it because “it was the right thing to do”. I also think he also said that it is someone well known (like maybe one of main 6) and it is driving me nuts trying to figure out who it is. It is going to be a long time until next Wednesday!

I keep trying to step back and think who would do this for the right reasons but I talk myself out of each character I come up with. Damn!!

14. DD says:

The whole episode was great, and I was at the edge of my seat the whole time waiting for the episode cliffhanger… which never appeared. For an episode that started out so intensely, it was a bit of a let down that things appeared calm by the end. Obviously they still have to deal with the issue, but the immediate flames were put out and no new ones sprung up… at least not until next week!

15. KeithH says:

Interesting that Leslie Hope…AUSA Anita Gibss also plays SECNAV on NCIS where there’s a popular character named Gibbs…

16. Joel says:

Hour went by too quickly. Wanted to see more.

17. HAP says:

I guess I’m in the minority, but although I’m a huge fan of the show, as well as many of the actors in the cast, this episode just seemed to be a bit too soap opera-ish to me.

18. John says:

Whodunit? Mike’s ex girlfriend, a lawyer; she warned him to get out.

19. What was Jessica wearing? Usually she is so stylish but that black thing over her white blouse was not good. Loved the episode and looks like an interesting season.

20. Doris says:

If Gibbs can’t prove Mike isn’t a lawyer and Mike is free then why was the wedding and potential Harvard guests such a crisis? Mike worried that the Dean would be invited and all the publicity? Remember his ex girlfriend knows he’s a fraud too! I don’t see how anyone that knows about mike’s situation can claim integrity or character and support the lie, why doesn’t he just go back to school for gods sake!

21. H says:

There’s quite a few people who know Mike’s secret. Harvey, Jessica, Louis, Donna, Rachel, Robert, Trevor, Scottie, Claire, Jenny. How do you keep a lid on that??

22. Jackie says:

Two suspects: Louis’ ex at Harvard or Harvey’s old professor at Harvard who was caught taking money for passing grades.

23. Seychelle W says:

The show is not going anywhere. I think this was a way for the writers to address the fat elephant in the room. Actually it’s brilliantly set up.. “Conspiracy to commit fraud”, Mike Ross would need co-conspirators because you can’t conspire on your own.. The act requires two or more. The DAs case will fall apart because she won’t be able to prove that Harvey or Jessica or Louis or Donna or Jessica or whomever had full knowledge he did not have a law degree, he was going to pass himself as a lawyer in the future without said degree, he would then be acting for clients as a fraudulent attorney. Here is where the case fall apart, they did not conspire with him to fake his law education, escape only from Harvard, they found out after the fact and helped him cover it up. At best it would be an “accessory after the fact to conspiracy to commit fraud”. But by then the DA looks like an over zealous lawyer (and we know how the courts hate that because it messes with the integrity of the profession) and the whole case falls apart. We chalk it to Trevor, went to make a deal with the DA to get out of prison and made a bad deal to oust his friend.

24. Diane says:

This has to be one of my favorite series. Every character brings something special to the series. I work in a law firm, but my firm is boring compared to this one, lol. Please keep the seasons coming. I look forward the next season, although I hate the wait.

25. If I learned nothing else watching last season of The Good Wife, it’s that AUSA’s and DA’s don’t play, and they will use any and everyone to go after the big fish. Mike had better watch out or he’s going to be the next Cary Agos!