Arrow Recap: A Tale of Two Felicitys — What Do You Think of Her Code Name?

The CW’s Arrow this week offered a tale of two Felicitys as she who typically watches over the field team came to terms with her new “ringside seat” to the rest of her life. Would she be able to rise to the occasion when some nasty A.R.G.U.S. business darkened the Diggles’ doorstep?

Though in Oliver’s company Felicity did her best to put on a brave face — (unsuccessfully) lobbying for a “Hot Wheels” code name — she couldn’t help but question her immediate value to Team Arrow. “What I do bring to the team is my mind,” she agreed, “and there’s a lot on it.”

Indeed, once alone and cycling through her painkillers, Felicity is visited by her younger, Goth self, an uninvited guest to her “pity party.” “You used to be me — a strong, confident brunette,” the hallucination taunted. “But you wasted it all away to play superhero.”

Despite wanting to eventually ease back into her role running comms and such, Felicity is sought to offer ASAP cyber-assistance when Oliver, Diggle et al storm a free port being used by the A.R.G.U.S.-hating Shadowspire organization. Alas, with her Goth self looming large and offering the precise opposite of moral support, that dry run almost goes terribly sideways when Felicity accidentally entraps Oliver, leaving Diggle briefly captured.

Later at the loft, Felicity expresses to Oliver her sense of guilt, as much as he tries to dismiss it. After all, he knows he pushed her to get involved when she was signaling she was not ready. But will she ever be ready enough for so intense a duty? “There is no going back to normal,” Felicity fears. “I can no longer be a part of the team… [because] I can’t do the one thing I’m supposed to be able to do.” When Oliver attempts to console his distraught love, GothFelicity pesters and pesters, to the point that the blonde snaps, seemingly ordering Oliver away.

Working out some of his frustration by sparring with Laurel, Oliver also shares his worry that Felicity’s setback is payback for when Barry Allen/The Flash tinkered with the timeline during their crossover face-off with Vandal Savage. Felicity meanwhile spars with her Goth self, demanding: “What do you want to tell me?!” The hallucination reminds that when boyfriend Cooper “died,” Felicity resigned herself to “never rely on anyone else ever again,” that it was her “against the world.” Instead, she wound up playing superhero — “and look what it got you, arrow-oliver-felicity-wheelchaira ringside seat to the rest of your life.

“You thought you were such a badass,” the brunette scoffs as a final jab.

But for all Goth-licity’s rudeness, she roused something in her older self, who later puts in an appearance at the lair (lack of ramps be damned). She admits to Oliver that she had been mired in pity, until she realized that her younger self was too angry to ever help people. But now, in this phase of her life, she is not. Nor should anyone let the paralysis keep them down. “I’m here to tell you it wasn’t your fault, or mine,” Felicity assures Oliver. Instead, the sole blame falls on “one man with an extremely on-the-nose, alliterative name, who we are going to stop — because it’s what we do, it’s who we are.”

At episode’s end, Felicity shows to Oliver —and then symbolically torches — a photo of that “rebellious brunette hacker who didn’t listen anyone’s rules but her own.” Oliver then shares his own measured hope for the future, convincingly noting, “I’ve seen people speed and shrink and fly, come back from dead…. That is the world we live in now. So I will not stop searching it until we find away to make you walk again.”

Offering a framing devicearrow-season-4-photos (17) for Felicity’s struggle was the assassination of one of Lyla’s A.R.G.U.S. old colleagues, which brought her, Dig and Amanda Waller head-to-head with Shadowspire. (In flashback, we learned that during their Afghanistan tour together, Diggle and Andy were wooed by ER‘s Malucci to skim some off the top of a commandeered opium cache. We also see that Oliver’s oneday island nemesis Reiter is Malucci’s superior.) Now,  Malucci is a Shadowspire lieutenant, and he wants Waller’s codes for something called Rubicon. When Waller makes clear that no threats to her team will make her break, Malucci offs the boss lady herself, leaving Lyla in charge.

Getting wind of Shadowspire’s infiltration, Diggle plots with Andy, who’s being held at A.R.G.U.S. With help from Oliver, Laurel, Thea and a re-energized Felicity — code name OverWatch (“I thought about Oracle, but it’s taken,” Oliver asides) — the Diggles and Lyla best Malucci and his men, then toast to the fallen Waller.As testament to how far the brothers’ fractured relationship has come, Diggle invites Andy to crash with him and Lyla — and meet his niece Sara.

What did you think of “A.W.O.L.”?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Gary says:

“I thought about Oracle, but it’s taken,” (Starts slow clap) Well done Mr Queen.

2. A says:

This was the best episode I’ve seen thus far this season! Loved Emily’s work in the scenes with Goth Felicity and LOVE her codename. Oliver’s words about finding a way for her to walk again certainly answers some questions, too.

Also, really liked seeing the Diggle brothers working together. Plus, the flashbacks this episode didn’t have me bored and checking my phone.

3. Jeff hunter says:

Looooved this episode like crazy,killing off “TV”Waller was a smart move and it maybe just the fanboy in me but the Oracle comment has me thinking CWs up to something down the Line!jeff

• TvPeong says:

I was surprised that they killed her. I liked this Amanda Waller and hoped that they had kept her longer.

• ? says:

I wish I had felt they had killed The Wall for any other reason than that she’s about to be in a movie. I don’t understand why the executives in charge of these things think people won’t be excited about seeing the characters in a movie if they can see them on TV. Of COURSE we will! Anyway, best episode of Arrow in a long, long, long time. Though “Overwatch” is pretty meh.

• Gail says:

Well The Flash is going to be in the Justice League movie at the same time as the TV series. I don’t think the TV series will be finished by then.

• The obvious choice for a code name would be “the IT girl.” But I guess that is too sexist or 1930’s Hollywood. And who heats up their dinner at 425 degrees? Even if it is for meals on wheels?

• Cory says:

I think so green arrow is to appear in a upcoming episode of legends of tomorrow with the goatee and one arm and we will see Conner Hawke. From Stephen Amell his self

4. Ben says:

Felicity in a wheelchair just… I can’t stand it. I really don’t like this creative decision.

Each to their own, I know, and it is very rare that I ever criticise a creative decision because I believe writers should have the right to choose the direction of their own show. But I can’t help but vent on this one, because it just doesn’t seem right at all to me.

• Lizzie says:

I don’t like the wheelchair storyline either. It didn’t feel right with her in it. Praying forever that it’s only temporary. They gave themselves an out in this episode so hopefully they find something that helps her.

• Lauren says:

This is a joke right? People complaining about a PARALYSIS storyline after ONE episode?? Is this because, what, precious Felicity won’t get flawless gauzy love scenes? What a fandom.

• Ben says:

No. I’m not a ‘fandom’ and don’t care about ‘gauzy love scenes’.

I just don’t like the storyline in any way. It could be the most amazingly executed paralysis storyline of all time, and I still don’t like it. I just find it very tough and it seriously hurts my enjoyment of the show. PS – I felt the same way before ANY episodes. The content of the episodes themselves are completely irrelevant to my opinion. If Felicity doesn’t get fixed, it will ruin Arrow for me. I’m just one person. I’m just giving my own personal opinion.

• Gaia says:

Yeah, introducing real-world problems to a show really kills my love of it too.

• Winter says:

I don’t know I kinda hope she doesn’t get fixed at least not right away. This type of work has danger and consequences and I think it’s good to show it. I also don’t think Felicity’s paralysis makes her of any less value. Let’s make her a bad ass who also happens to be in chair because I’ve met some pretty bad ass people in chairs before.

• Lizzie says:

Not at all. I just don’t want to see her in a wheelchair. I think its unfair that the only one without a mask has lasting consequences with an injury. Don’t put words into my mouth. You literally don’t know me or what I think. Bye!

• tvjunkie says:

Um, it’s one episode. Sara was dead for quite a while. I’d say that was a pretty lasting consequence until they learned about and used the pit to bring her back. I don’t know why some people like you are so impatient

• Lizzie says:

@tvjunkie, Emily is still filming in the wheelchair. They’re filming episode 16. So I’d saying that’s a very lasting consequence and more than one episode. Thanks now.

5. Terra says:

Couldn’t they just get the nanobots from Ray to fix her spinal cord?

6. Megan says:

I am SO GLAD I am not the only that still refers to him as Malucci! Excited for Felicity’s code name!

7. wonderwall says:

This was probably the best episode of the season! Emily Bett and David Ramsey were both outstanding.
    Loved the character moments. This episode was everything I love about Arrow

8. Sg. Grant says:

Overwatch is Watchtower.

Oliver Queen lives the blonde nerdy chicks, whether here or in Smallville.

9. wonderwall says:

G.reen Arrow

I see what the writers did there :p

10. Carla Krae says:

DC as usual. Have to kill off Waller before Suicide Squad comes out because the movie and TV divisions can’t share toys. Lame…..

• John036 says:

They actually ended the whole “can’t share characters” thing. If they didn’t that means The Flash, Green Arrow, Black Canary, and others will have to be killed off too.

Killing off Waller was for the story, not because they had to

• Carla Krae says:

Sorry, but they’ve taken away every character that is in the Suicide Squad movie.

• dancmh says:

I don’t think you’re totally wrong but Katana is supposed to make a re-appearance this season. Of course, it could be just to kill her off….

• Eric says:

Warner Brothers has officially stated that the DC TV and Movie universes are seperate. So they are not killing characters to free them up for the movies. Otherwise the Tv Flash would be dead already.

11. Roger says:

Diggle is going to the Flash to help with King Shark. Money is that he comes back with Velocity 6 and injects Felicity. Obviously no speed force but enough to make her body heal faster.

12. GirlvsTV says:

I enjoyed that a lot more than last week. The show has really excelled this season when it focuses on the characters first. Both Felicity and Diggle’s stories this week were great. EBR and DR always do such great work.

13. Lizzie says:

Brilliant episode! Absolutely loved every second. Focus on Diggle and Felicity, making this a character episode, is where Arrow always excels.

Loved learning more about Diggle and his brother, the bond and the difficulties. Such a sweet ending when Andy met his niece for the first time. I feel like he’s gonna betray them though.

Loved the linking of the flashbacks to the present day with Shadowspire. Awesome! I hate that the guy killed Waller but I guess they had to because of the Suicide Squad movie. Shame.

Felicity was absolutely incredible in this episode. EBR was the MVP! The hallucinations were so clever and I think we learned so much about her character through that. Love how strong she is but I also liked seeing her struggle a bit.

Olicity were wonderful. They shined in their scenes tonight. So much chemistry, love and affection. Wow. They’ve never been better.

• Lizzie says:

I forgot to add how much I enjoyed Lyla. She’s so badass and I like how she’s always so calm and takes everything in her stride.

The small Diggle/Felicity scene was wonderful too. I’ve missed them. It was long overdue. They keep forgetting that friendship exists and I’d like to see more of it.

• safistikaytdlayd says:

I forgot about the Diggle/Felicity moment!!! So sweet!!! Their friendship is so nice and I agree with you, their friendship should be addressed more!!!

• safistikaytdlayd says:

I agree with you!!! Such a great episode!!! The Felicity/Goth Felicity scenes were great!!! EBR really shined in this episode!!! I loved the storyline with Diggle and his brother and while I love the scene with Andy meeting baby Sarah, I too think he might betray them!!!! I hope not but…

14. I thought she’d become Wheels and he’d be the Legman.

• datdudemurphy says:

I approve!

• datdudemurphy says:

Brunette Felicity was more entertaining than Blonde Felicity has been in nearly 3 seasons

• Drew says:

Seconded. I wanted them to keep the imaginary version.

• RAD says:

I’m a Felicity fan but I agree. They flushed a good storyline, squandered opportunity.

• RAD says:

I’m a Felicity fan but when they flushed the Gothlicity storyline they squandered a good arc.

Waller will be back. She’s the head of Argos. There is definitely a plan.

Andy is playing John again (the war scenes). He fought Joyner (please use character names from Arrow ep flummoxed by ER ref).

After they fought did we see Joyner’s body or in cuffs? Andy went behind John’s back to work with Joyner before. Don’t recall Andy’s lines, but he told John that he saw what he wanted to see. This presents up a new opportunity for Andy to betray John.

15. steven says:

As a brunette, Felicity looked like Bitsie Tulloch.

16. Felicidad says:

If The Calculator is Felicity’s dad, I’m guessing he will do something to cure his daughter. He’s a doctor right?

17. Michelle says:

I am sorry but Felicity should stay in the chair. While yes it is a superhero show, it would feel like a cheat if she’s healed. I actually figured that’s why they got rid of the Lazarus Pit.

• Gail says:

They are allowing themselves an out with Oliver’s talk about the world they live in. I think she will recover one day. We couldn’t tell if she was recovered in the flash forward.

• Lizzie says:

I want her to be healed. How is it fair that everyone else heals quickly but the one person who doesn’t wear a costume or a mask is stuck in a wheelchair for life and deals with the consequences? So unfair. I’m fine if they keep her in the chair for a few episodes but I don’t want to see it beyond this season.

18. herman1959 says:

The episode was action packed, which was great, but MAN, they killed off Amanda Waller in cold blood. On the up side, baby Sara is so big now (and so beautiful). Excellent episode.

19. Drew says:

Lyla. She is a good character and if they killer her off, I will be mad.
    Oliver and Laurel sharing a scene about their friendship and not about some sort of clash between them.
    Felicity having something to do outside of her relationship and her horrible, horrible CEO job.
    Still not sure why they brought Andy back. It hasn’t been justified.
    Hate Felicity’s nickname. So many better options… Heck, Computergirl would have been better.
    They rushed her homecoming and settling into life. There should have been more rehab time, learning how to get by in her new situation.
    But they’re already backing away from the paralysis, which I expect to be undone at some point. I don’t get why they went there if they didn’t want to commit.

20. Linda says:

Gee, I’m surprised they didn’t just call her WatchTower.

21. N says:

While I won’t miss her, Do you believe Amanda Waller getting killed off the show was do to the Suicide Squad movie, much like when they killed off Deadshot last season and how they couldn’t use Harley Quinn on the show.

• Drew says:

Doesn’t bode well for The Flash, does it?

• herman1959 says:

Drew, they are NOT killing off Grant Gustin’s Flash because Ezra Miller will be showing up for 5 minutes at the end of Batman v Superman. Now, for the actual film, The Flash, there could be an issue. Maybe they’re hoping the TV series will have been cancelled by 2018, but I wouldn’t count on it. Anyway, they have time to figure it out.

• Drew says:

Yeah, I wouldn’t expect it just for his BvS appearance, but the studio is capable of some very stupid decisions and I worry that they will sacrifice a successful series in favor of a movie. Maybe Wally West will take over at that point?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

That would be a wise speculation ;)

22. Dj says:

Since Oracle was taken which kind of confirms Batman can we get Nightwing next season.

• Drew says:

Nightwing would be cool. I’m hoping to see Terry McGinnis show up on Legends of Tomorrow next year.

• ? says:

Fox probably has dibs on anything and everything to do with Batman on TV, which is why Oracle is off the table. It’s a shame that a terrible show like Gotham means we can’t have Felicity as Oracle, Harley, or Nightwing on Arrow/Flash/Legends.

• TayMads says:

I don’t think Oracle is off the table because of Fox, I think Oracle is off the table because she is already a character in another DC Comics series. Barbara Gordon IS Oracle. There is no other option and it’s silly to have her on Green Arrow when she is so closely related to Batman.

• sladewilson says:

I’d like to see Nightwing esp. since Roy and Dick were Titans together. Maybe here Ollie and Dick are buds. That would be interesting to see how they “refer” to The Dark Knight….

23. Dj says:

So is Andy free now. I’m not sure if thats a smart thing because I still dont trust him

24. KatsMom says:

Amanda Waller, concerned about a leak in her organization, learns one of her agents is dead and that he’s been tortured, including having one eye gouged out. Waller is never one to make mistakes or be sloppy, and yet, the writers expected viewers to believe that she was stupid enough to leave the dead guy’s clearance codes in the system so a tactical team can come waltzing in and take over…kill a few more agents…by simply using that eye they gouged out. Sorry, no. I know there needs to be a certain amount of suspended belief when watching this show, but, c’mon now.

Also, I hated Felicity’s mental break and am not a fan of the code name. I know Overwatch is an apt term, but it’s so militaristic and Felicity’s just not.

In my attempt to not complain endlessly, I’ll say that I did like the Diggle brothers’ backstory. Seems like there may actually be a flashback to the island with a real purpose in the near future too with the big reveal that Andy worked for Reiter. Also, it was quite the surprise move to kill off Waller. I liked that there was actually something in this episode that took me by surprise and didn’t make me roll my eyes. But, I love to hate Waller. I’m disappointed that I’ll only get to do that in flashbacks now. Whoops, back to complaining, better end this…

25. Rachel says:

I love lyla. She is so effing badass.

26. James D says:

I love Lyla, I sense Andy being back in civilian life (so to speak) will not end well for all involved, I was very pleased Oliver and Laurel got a conversation that wasn’t them jumping down each others throats. I didn’t like anything else. I don’t care for her code name. not really a fan of her arc in general this season. this show desperately needs to re-prioritize and try and find that magic it had in Season 2 because I’m not feeling it right now, Sorry.

27. when he said the oracle line i was so hype like some form of batfamily show coming soon maybe?

28. Shadow says:

Her code name is not bad I could get use to it.

29. DarkDefender says:

I do love this show. Happy to see Waller gone. Still don’t trust little Diggle. Nice shout out re: Oracle, but Felicity’s code name is horrible.

30. peterwdawson says:

What a pointless way to kill of Waller. Didn’t like the character but random badguys of the week after a mcguffin of the week? Weak.

31. Stephen says:

I liked codename “Hot Wheels”

32. Emily Bett was BRILLIANT in tonight’s episode….The way she portrayed two distinct phases of her life was amazing. We got to see 3 shades of her character, one the angry and mocking Goth Felicity, second the one where Felicity is having a “pity party” and is not her strong self and finally the one where she herself rises to being her badass self and being strong and guiding the Team and even pep talks Oliver into seeing whts really important and all these 3 parts were played with absolute perfection by Emily.
    P.S. Love her codename Overwatch <3

33. peterwdawson says:

Curious if the reason Waller so randomly died was due the Suicide Squad movie coming out so they had to basically kill off any chances of seeing them again or due to the fans hating her so the decided to do it in a random plot of the week just because they could.

34. Michelle says:

Felicity was so much better as a brunette. It’s too bad Evilicity couldn’t stick around. Though we could be wrong and she can hallucinate again.

Does anyone think that Felicity could still be in the grave and Oliver is imagining her? I’m only thinking that since he’s hallucinated dead friends and lovers before…

• A says:

Wendy Mericle, one of the EP’s has confirmed that Felicity is not dead. She was in the flash-forward so that people would know it wasn’t her.

35. Steven says:

When Goth Felicity first turned up on screen, I did a double-take. She looked exactly like Death, from the Sandman comics.

36. BeckyBoo says:

That was an amazing episode – one of the best of the season definitely. The focus on Felicity and Diggle was wonderful, the flashbacks more interesting than the others this season. Diggle and Andy, and Felicity and ‘Felicity’ both went through meaningful, well paced, moving journeys throughout. EBR gave a fantastic performance as both Felicitys – love GothFelicity, I’d be happy for her to be around more often! Felicity is such a strong, formidable woman – such a pleasure to watch her come into her own. EBR and Amell continue to have some of the best and most believable and moving, chemistry on TV. They can move me from laughter to teary within the course of a small scene. The Diggles – John, Andy and the ever-badass Lyla, were awesome. That final scene with baby Sara got me good. Just, more of all of this please Arrow! This is the show at its BEST.

37. nashieb says:

Didn’t they already give that name to Diggle in 319?!! So how is overwatch original?

38. Joey Padron says:

New episode was good. Felicity’s code name is good. Surprised they killed Amanda on the show. Guess she’ll be only shown in flashbacks from now on. Glad Diggle’s brother Andy help him & the team stop Shadowspire. Like the ending of the episode.

39. jayeola says:

Season 5 is not the last of Arrow is there a season 6? or how many season that it have?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Nobody knows.………. …… ellipse.

• Katie T says:

Stephen’s signed til at least 2019 so that would suggest at least 7 seasons, unless some reason comes up to cancel it,like a huge ratings drop.

• Lizzie says:

I don’t think ratings will ever drop. They’re holding a 1.1 demo at the moment. I bet the CW is very happy with that. But this show shouldn’t go beyond 6 seasons.

40. Luis says:

An interesting choice to kill the TV Waller when “Suicide Squad” will be hitting theaters soon. A desire, perhaps, not to have dueling Amanda Wallers in the public consciousness, so as to avoid comparisons? As for Diggle and Andy’s reconciliation, I can’t help but think it’s a really bad omen.

41. Love the codename. If Oracle is taken, Overwatch works just fine for me. So glad to see Felicity Smoak finally getting story for herself. Emily Bett Rickards will do such a great job (as always). Loved seeing Diggle and his story with his brother getting more play, and Oliver/Felicity were, as always, amazing. Stephen Amell and Emily Bett Rickards just make it look so easy.

42. Luis says:

Just so long as the “new” Olliver doesn’t start humming “Someone to Watch Over Me” on missions

43. Brigid says:

Not my favorite episode this season. Those scenes between the 2 Felicity’s were bad. Poorly acted and cliched at best. My husband and I both yelled terrible. The code name was good and the other scenes with Emily and Stephen were much more enjoyable. Totally surprised that Amanda Waller was killed but so glad Lyla was spared. Any chance we can get rid of Diggles dumb helmet? How can anyone see anything out of that thing? Looking forward to getting back to Damien Darhk!!

44. The Carpooler says:

OverWatch. I like it. Reminds me of “God” from Navy Seals.

I try and stay positive on these posts, it’s all for entertainment. But why use Malucci vs his character’s name?

45. G says:

I think I’ve decided I am a Height-ist. I could not look past the dramatic height difference between the two brothers. If I was casting this show I would have got a brother somewhat closer in stature to Diggle. I also just don’t buy that he could be a physical threat. I know there are plenty of kick ass little guys out there, but in the comic book world I expect them to be larger than life. Not smaller than average.

46. adrian says:

Loved the episode don’t like that arrow has felicity in a wheel chair feels too much like batman. Love the oracle comment earlier season he said something about theas ex being off with a friend of his in bloodhaven which is nightwing. Hopefully there’s something for the future.

47. Maria says:

Loved this episode! Emily is an amazing actress and her work as both Gothlicity and Felicity was so cool to watch! Also loved the Diggle family feels, and Stephen makes me cry with his portrayal of Oliver and his deep care for Felicity. Here’s to many more episodes like A.W.O.L!

48. Elena says:

I loved this episode!! EBR was amazing and make me love her dark side even being a b**** and i really loved the focus on Diggle & Felicity these two with Oliver are my favourites of this show. I really enjoy the Olicity scenes, were adorable and Emily and Stephen’s chemistry don’t have words, is insane.

49. Deb Tasker says:

I don’t like Felicity in wheelchair, a really stupid decision. Unless she becomes a super hero with some kind of awesome ability that’s okay but if it’s a permanent wheelchair, it sucks. Oliver is tall and this just makes it look stupid and she can’t save herself in a chair.. … Bad enough they made weak weepy Laurel the canary. i still can’t get used to it. She just doesn’t suit the tough kick ass part. She’s more suited the weaker role. But the chair needs to go as fast as possible before the show losers fans.