Mirando Otto Joins 24

24: Legacy: Miranda Otto Cast as Female Lead in Fox Reboot

Homeland‘s Miranda Otto is staying in the spy game, joining Fox’s 24: Legacy pilot as the female lead, TVLine has confirmed.

The actress will play Rebecca Ingram, the smart and confident former head of CTU who is having second thoughts about her decision to vacate her post. Also of note: She is married to a senator (casting for that role is underway).

Otto is 24: Legacy‘s second major hire, following Monday’s casting of Corey Hawkins as the show’s new leading man.

The quasi-reboot centers on a military hero (Hawkins) who encounters a troubled return to the U.S., compelling him to ask CTU for help in saving his life, and stopping what potentially could be one of the largest-scale terror attacks on American soil.

Fox has thus far only ordered a pilot, which will feature nods to prior CTU agents but no ongoing characters — that includes Kiefer Sutherland’s Jack (although the actor may serve as an EP on the project alongside Gordon, Manny Coto and Evan Katz).

“I have said from the beginning that the real star of 24 is the idea, and I mean that wholeheartedly,” Sutherland recently said of the revival. “I have every faith they’ll do something cool and clever.”

The new series would span 12 episodes, similar to the recent, acclaimed limited series 24: Live Another Day.

1. Mr. Tran K says:

Very excited about Miranda Otto returning to the spy world after an amazing run on Homeland. Hope her new 24 character may or may not be the same as her Homeland counterpart Allison Carr.

2. I don’t think I’ll ever be able to see her as anything than an evil, greedy see you next tuesday thanks to homeland

3. Phil says:

Sure… this’ll stick. How many projects have ended up recasting her?

• Eve says:

I don’t know. How an average reader could now? Please tell us and give examples.

• ABG says:

Yeah, I’m intrigued. I like her on Homeland and LOVED her character on Lord of the Rings, but don’t know much else about her.

• Dysturbed says:

She filmed the Westworld pilot, but was either replaced when the show “reconceived her character” which lead to her joining the cast of Homeland, or she left to do Homeland on her own accord. Different articles have different stories. Beyond that I’m not sure what he’s referring to, but he will hopefully clarify.

4. Jeff says:

I will not watch this. No Jack Bauer, no me, 24 is not 24 withoutJack, I don’t care what Kiefer said, it is so much better with him.

• Dysturbed says:

better with him doesn’t automatically mean that it will end up being bad or horrible without him.

• Jeff says:

Yes it does. Just by looking at the cast so far shows this is going to be a train wreck.

• djariya says:

They’ve cast 2 people so far. One is a very well known veteran actress (Otto) and the other is a Julliard trained actor who was in one of the biggest box office hits this past summer. I’ll reserve judgment until it’s officially picked up and footage is available.

• Dysturbed says:

No it doesn’t. It means that it has a chance of being bad due to being so different, not that it absolutely will be bad. In other words there’s a difference between it sounding bad (depending on opinions) and actually being bad (which can’t be fully determined yet beyond assuming, but will of course also be based on opinions). Regardless, you’ve said you’ve made up your mind, which is of course your right.

5. DanielleZ says:

Excellent. She was terrific in Homeland this season. Last week I discovered that she portrayed Marty Bell in the Terrence Malick film The Thin Red Line, the woman in Private Bell’s flashbacks throughout the film. I’ve seen the movie several times over the years but did not become familiar with Miranda Otto until she appeared on Homeland.

6. Carlos Lee says:

I know this is too late, but they should have casted Michael Jai White instead of the dread locked dude from the Walking Dead.

• Dysturbed says:

I think he’d have been a great choice, if not for the fact that they specifically wanted someone around Corey Hawkin’s age to play the character, and there is a 20 year age difference between him and Michael Jai White. I was surprised by his casting as well.

7. Walkie says:

The show will end up being a repetitive mess like the last few seasons of the original were.

8. She did an amazing job on Homeland.

9. D. says:

I’ll watch it just because of her.