Shadowhunters Simon Vampire Spoilers

Shadowhunters Star Talks Simon's Vampire Crisis: 'The Danger Is Real'

Now that Shadowhunters‘ Clary and Simon are adjusting to their new supernatural surroundings, it’s time to throw another breed of nighttime creature their way. Enter… the vampires.

Following his kidnapping at the end of last week’s episode, Simon finds himself a prisoner of some pretty unsavory vamps this Tuesday (9/8c) — including an enticing little number named Camille Belcourt.

“She’s going to give Simon an introduction to the Downworld that isn’t given to most mundanes,” Alberto Rosende tells TVLine. “The audience will see how the Downworld works, how it’s very much a political place. We’ll also learn more about the threat Valentine poses to the vampires.”

Season 1, Episode 3 ("Dead Man's Party")

As for that whole drinking blood thing…

“I can honestly say that was the first time,” Rosende says. “It was awesome, though. The whole scene in the hotel was one of my favorites to shoot. It’s the first time Simon gets a glimpse into the supernatural world without Clary. This all seems fake to him at first, but being dragged into this world makes him realize the danger is real. It scares him, but it also makes him more determined to be with Clary.”

Speaking of being with Clary, Rosende says he loves the show’s portrayal of the Simon/Jace rivalry.

“There’s that contentious relationship between them, Jace being the ultimate protector and Simon being the ultimate best friend,” he says. “They offer two very different but very real things — she wants that comfort, but she also needs Jace to lead her through this new life. We dive into it in a new way, but it’s very much still a competition between them.”

As a reader of all six Mortal Instruments books, Rosende is fully aware of the changes that occurred while bringing Cassandra Clare’s saga to the small screen. But rather than scoff at the differences, he embraces them.

Season 1, Episode 3 ("Dead Man's Party")“In the books, they talk about the Institute having this beautiful antiquity, representing this ancient world, but I really like how our show made it full of technology,” Rosende says. “That’s one thing that kind of needed to happen, from my perspective as a fan, because it makes sense that the Shadowhunters would be using all the technology that mundanes have offered them. Seeing it all come to life was so cool.”

He also knows that Simon wasn’t crooning Neil Young songs in Clare’s books — a change he not only embraced, but also hopes to continue.

“I didn’t sing in my audition, they just asked me if I could,” he says. “They said, ‘We either want Simon to be really good or really bad,’ and I didn’t think I was really either. … I learned guitar for the show, and if Season 2 comes about, I’m hoping the opportunity to perform gets to come around again. It’s a big part of Simon’s life.”

Your thoughts on all things Simon, vampires and ShadowhuntersDrop ’em in a comment below.

1. rinaex says:

Such a terrible show.

2. My God. This show sucks. And don’t just take my word for it, look at the ratings. Never going to get a second season. Unless the network exec is a teenage girl.

3. Sara says:

Great to see this interview! I am really enjoying the show. I like the changes they have made. They make sense for what the tv show seems to be trying to accomplish. Quite frankly, I would be pretty bored if I knew *exactly* what was going to happen in every scene.
    Can’t wait to see what happens next and to see where the show takes us in the Downworld!

• Titi says:

I just watched the first episode of shadowhunters (read up to book 4). I watched the adapted movie and thought the casting was poor, all except for the actor who played Valentine (happened to be the actor who played King Henry 8th in Tudors) and now I see this actor as Valentine who played king henry 2nd on Reign. Weird coincidence?

4. kevin says:

I don’t even know how FreeForm thought this show was good enough to make it on air. The source material is good enough, but this show is painful. The Acting is some of the worst I have ever seen on TV. Having watched the first 2 episodes, this show is barely a step up from Power Rangers. I am amazed that they hired these Actors, they are awful. I think better Actors could make this show at least watchable. The Simon character is one of the standouts on a poor show. Pull the Band-Aide!!

• John NYC says:

With these cartoon/comic book/fantasy shows I always have a hard time telling whether it’s the acting or whether it’s the direction to the actors to represent the source material? Given some of the lines being written for the people I’m inclined it’s the direction that was deliberately chosen, not the quality of the actors themselves that’s coming through. Quite a few made aside throwaway lines that are WAY campy.

• Power Rangers!! Hahahahahaha

5. Gabby says:

The acting sucks on this show. Simon is actually the best thing so far. I liked the movie version better, especially Robert Sheehan. Hopefully it gets better as the season goes on.

6. DoctorWhoFanatic says:

Simon changing shirts behind the van… hubba hubba.

He’s “nerd-hot” :)

• ChrisGa says:

Hardly needs the “nerd” qualifier–the guy’s gorgeous, plain and simple. Not to mention the best actor by far in the show’s young adult set.

7. ninamags says:

I’m actually quite annoyed by this character. He’s lame and such a debbie downer.

Maybe in future episodes he’ll lighten up not question every. damn. thing.

8. Katrina says:

The special effects and dialogue are laughable. Was expecting better given the source material.

9. Steph says:

If they replaced half the actors it may be a decent show. The Simon actor is actually one of the better ones. Clary is beyond horrible. I’m not sure if I will keep watching.

10. Naur says:

Simon becoming a vampire is really predicable but will that happen? He will lose clary if that happens

11. Kathy Burman says:

I have read ALL the books in the Mortal Instruments Series and very much enjoyed the movie (with the exception of the casting..thought several of those were wrong). I am ok with changing the story to fit TV as I agree with a previous comment that if I knew everything that was going to happen it would not be as fun. However I disagree with some of the other changes. I do not like Luke at all in this version and I loved him in the books and the Movie. It just isn’t believable that Clary and he are close in this version. There was very little building of his back story. Not sure if I will continue watching either but always give a new show at least 6 episodes before I bail. I am hoping it gets better as I really love this series and was happy to see it get a reboot (though to be honest a second movie would have made me happier).

12. talia says:

Still trying to decide whether or not I like the show. The acting is ok but I feel there is more chemistry between Dominic (who plays Jace) and Matthew (who plays Alec) than there is between Dom and Kat (who plays Clary). One positive, Matthew and Alberto (Simon) are hot.

13. AlliDone says:

This show is awful, and they didn’t do themselves any favors with their changes from the books. The actors are horrible (could they have made Isabelle any skankier?)
    I stuck out the 3 episode test and I don’t think I’ll stick around for more

14. Vanessa says:

I read somewhere they pulled the plug on the movies because they weren’t doing the books justice, the tv show was supposed remedy that…but it’s awful. Go back to the movie franchise please. Or wait for vampire diaries to die and snag their writers. They turned crappy books to gold, imagine what they could do with a good series!! Either way pull the plug on this

15. I am loving Shadowhunters Season 1 Episode 1-10 I love❤️Simon as a Vampire he got shot by someone but I hope that he returns as a Vampire and gets more and more power Clay and Jace will finally be together and Simon finds out about them both he is so not happy about it all Alca gets Marriage in Episode 11 I love❤️Simon and all Vampires in this show I am biggest fan ever