24 Legacy Corey Hawkins

24 Legacy's 'New Jack': Walking Dead's Corey Hawkins to Star in Fox Reboot

Corey Hawkins is about to experience the day from hell.

The Straight Outta Compton actor — who’s currently recurring on The Walking Dead as Heath — has landed the starring role in 24: Legacy, Fox’s in-the-works reboot of the seminal real-time thriller.

Hawkins will portray Eric Carter, a strong and smart former Army Ranger who finds himself pulled back into action as his past comes looking for him. He eventually turns to CTU for help in saving his life and stopping what potentially could be one of the largest-scale terror attacks on American soil.

“There’s a time jump, a new organization, a completely different story,” Fox co-chairman and CEO Dana Walden teased last week. “It’s a contemporary story about the potential to activate sleeper cells in the United States. There are nods in the pilot to prior CTU agents, but no ongoing characters.”

Fox has thus far only ordered a pilot, which will feature nods to prior CTU agents but no ongoing characters — that includes Kiefer Sutherland’s Jack (although the actor may serve as an EP on the project alongside fellow 24 vets Howard Gordon, Manny Coto and Evan Katz).

“I have said from the beginning that the real star of 24 is the idea, and I mean that wholeheartedly,” Sutherland recently said of the revival. “I have every faith they’ll do something cool and clever.”

The new series would span 12 episodes, similar to the recent, acclaimed limited series.

1. They need to bring back Tony.

2. Steve says:

What does this mean for Heath? Will he do both shows?

3. Phillip says:

Pass. His character on TWD is incredibly annoying and turned me off of the actor.

4. Chris says:

Not feeling it, it’ll be hard to give it a shot since there wasn’t much closure on the series and they don’t plan on going back to it (at least for now) so I’m on the fence. Also, if they do the 12 episode format, I hope the time jump(s) will be better. (In LAD they jumped from 10pm-10am. They totally ignored 12 hours! Kinda ruins the spirit of the show).

5. Mr. Tran K says:

Hope Corey Hawkins should be a great fit as the “black Jack Bauer”.

• JP says:

I hope he has a good speaking and screaming voice. Those two aspects are key. Oh, and borderline psychotic behavioral patterns, hahaha.

6. Mark says:

Okay so its NOT a reboot though, as previously stated. Time jumps, references to past characters….it DOES exist in the same universe, I’m gathering? So there’s totally an opportunity to bring back old characters. I’d love to see Jack, Tony, Chlose…and even some of the lesser known characters come back! Whatever happened to Bill Buchnanen’s wife? She had a main role in two years of the show.

7. obriensg1 says:

No, and not because he’s black btw!

Just the reboot in general, unless they bring in many more characters from the original. Watch Heroes Reborn to see how badly this could suck.

Couldn’t they bring back Yvonne Strahovski?

8. LynnH says:

It’s not 24 without Kiefer. No matter how hard Fox tries to sell it. I’ll pass.

9. Liam says:

Who is he on The Walking Dead? Not sure how good a thing that is that his character seems totally forgettable. But hey, more 24 is good by me

• wrstlgirl says:

You probably don’t recognize him because on TWD is has long dreads and wears glasses. He was also in the movie non-stop with Liam Neeson.

10. JCPrime says:

I hope to hear about the female lead soon.

11. Ian says:

Not the most charismatic actor of color they couldve gotten.
    This decision probably wasnt made based on any other reason than Straight Outta Compton.

12. Dia says:

Why no Kate Morgan? Because she’s a woman?
    Tony should be in this too!

• JSS says:

It’s possible Yvonne isn’t interested. She’s already been in the last and worst season of Dexter. A likely to fail spinoff would be even worse.

• Dia says:

Thank you!
        But this is very disappointing. They created a badass female character and now they are just going to ignore her. Bravo…

• JP says:

Her character was almost as ludicrous as Jack. She was captured by a group soldiers/torturers, handcuffed behind her back and hung from a hook. She escaped by choking a guy to death in a leg scissor. As if he couldn’t immediately grab her legs, drop, and rip her shoulders to shreds. LOL

She’ll never top Jack’s revival from cardiac arrest to complete seasons 2-9, though. 24 was always good for a laugh.

• lechatnoir says:

This ! lol! I really rolled my eyes as that scene. How unbelievable. Frankly they could get Ronda Rousey , Iwona Strahowski is stunning but she is unbelievable as a skilled warrior

• Dia says:

That’s why I liked Kate, sometimes she was almost as over the top as Jack! I thought it was refreshing that a female character was allowed to be like that.
            But sadly, it looks like Fox executives want to get rid of her. I bet she will be killed off off-screen.

And please no Ronda Rousey. She is not only a terrible actress, a hack fighter but also a Sandy Hook truther. Keep that horrible human being far away from 24.

13. wrstlgirl says:

Cool, he’s one of my favorite Alexandria peeps on TWD.

14. Luis says:

No potato face :-(

15. Guest says:

Sorry… but “NO”…. to make it worse there will be no “Chloe”…. just a mention of the past character(s).. Why not bring back Yvonne Strahovski? It would have been nice to see a strong female lead… Meh! Not a happy “24” fan… I will miss the Bauer Power!

16. DavidJ says:

Sorry, but the concept felt tired and played out a long time ago. Getting a new actor in there isn’t going to magically change that and make the idea suddenly seem fresh and new again.

17. Matt says:

24 without Jack is like Tom without Jerry!

18. Monika says:

Looking forward to it

19. drhenning says:

I totally agree with Kiefer that the format is the real star.. It is a shame that they couldn’t do a Kate Morgan version… Anything by Howard Gordon, I’m in.. I also agree that a 24 episode new show is a non-starter in today’s TV world.. Fox can commit to 12 episodes.. not 24 these days.. So the full real time has to go by the boards….

20. Joe says:

eh, I wanted it to be BJ Britt

21. Gregory Richards says:

They need bring Chole B. Brilliant C.T.U analyst

22. another I will not watch

23. Kathy Bucciarelli says:

No one wants to watch 24 without Jack! Are you kidding? Jack is 24 and 24 is Jack! I won’t watch if Jack is not back! Count my family out!

24. Pam De La O says:

Only 24 is with Jack Bauer and Keifer Sutherland.
    No remakes, i don’t think this show will make it without Jack.
    He is the show, sorry i won’t watch this without Jack Bauer and Keifer playing him.

25. If it has no jack its not 24, I wont be watching this pc gone mad reboot.

26. Rose cooper says:

Noooooooooooooo there is & always will be only one jack, do you lot copy that!!!!!!!arghhhhhh 😠😠😠😠😠

27. jazzyt2u says:

I’ll give Dr. Dre a chance.

28. James says:

I will never give this show a chance.

I will not watch a show that has a black as the lead character.

I don’t care if you call me a racist. I hate black people.

• William says:

Amen! They should just quit and leave it as the best show ever. Don’t ruin it.. 24 is leyend. Go make your money some place else! Invent something new.. I know they’ve tried but nothing can come close to 24’s cast.

• Gage says:

Then don’t watch it you racist idiot. Bye!

• melissa says:

We can call you a racist not because you don’t want to watch the show but because you wrote that you hate black people. That would make you an actual racist.

• Natasha says:

Nice to know. White people are hated too.

• coneyro says:

James,
      It’s 2016, not 1816. Don’t like black people, too bad….They, and all other minorities are part of the human race.
      Part of the problem is people with YOUR attitude. Well, I hate bigots and ignoramuses. So, we’re even.
      Go troll the KKK or neo-Nazi sites. You’ll be more than welcomed by those degenerates. They’ll make you feel at home, among the other white trash.
      Have a nice day…..

29. Nikki says:

No Clohe either?

30. I’m not excited about it, just hopeful. But I guess the biggest thing is that we were left hanging with Jack’s departure. And you know, part of the appeal for me (if not most), was the tortured, self-sacrificing soul of Jack. How will this new guy compare?

31. Caren says:

In my opinion 24 is NOT 24 without Kiefer

32. Tony says:

If Jack isn’t in this, why should I care?

33. brio43 says:

No. You’re wrong Mr. Sutherland. You, and only you, are Jack Bauer.

34. BarryFlash says:

Pass!

35. Joe says:

“24” is Jack Bauer! And what Kiefer Sutherland brought to the character. No Jack, No “24”
    Congrats to Corey for getting the roll but I think it’s an up hill battle in grabbing the millions of fans along for the ride.
    The excitement & anticipation of “24” coming back without Kiefer as Jack sure is not the same as the last time.
    Good luck!

36. Cj 24 says:

No Jack?! No Chloe!? No thank you.

37. garbage, there are far better young minority actors to fill the role.

38. Jarl says:

I think I’ll pass. I’ve had enough of 24.

39. Doris says:

No Jack Bauer, no 24! I never missed an episode of my favorite show. But without Jack, Chloe etc. it is NOT 24! Fox exects sit in a board room and ruin our favorite shows. No wonder they fall flat when it comes to,having good shows on TV! leave our favorite shows alone if you can’t bring back our favorite stars. Don’t call it 24 because it won’t be 24!

40. N says:

No thanks. Pass.

41. dhiraj says:

I was hoping they do some justices to bring jack back from Russia. ….The previous story has few things unanswered

42. Stacy Diebold says:

I’m going to give it a try, but like it or not it wasn’t the story line that was great. It was Kiefer Sutherland that made the show believable and peeked my interest. I just don’t understand why you don’t name it something different. You obviously are trying to gain viewers by making us believe that we are getting “Jack Bauer”. Not smart.

43. Erik says:

I want to be wrong, but I don’t see big ratings in the future. Like a Big Mac is to McDonald’s, so too is Jack Bauer to 24. It’s a franchise thing. It is the story, as Sutherland says, but it’s the holistic execution of the story, i.e. the characters.

Conversely, take American Horror Story. There have been the same actors playing different parts and different actors introduced in new seasons. But when Jessica Lange left, it wasn’t a huge loss because it’s a completely new story and characters. The show is not inextricably tied in people’s minds to Lange playing any one character due to the nature of the show.

24, on the other hand, IS a culturally iconic show because of the evolution of Jack Bauer and Kiefer Sutherland’s portrayal of him. I’m just not sure the draw will be there. I like the actor in the Walking Dead, but I think he’s going to be in Bauer’s shadow in people’s minds. I’d love to see it work and I hope I’m wrong, but I think it’s a gamble.

One man’s opinion.

44. Colm says:

Why not just start a show called CTU which follows the organisation as a global threat builds… with the a tie into real time operations when needed… and eventually pave the way for past characters returns and fulfill their story arcs Tony has escaped from prison, jack is now with the Russians, chloe is safe and in the wind…. there is plenty in it with CTU and ints involvement in worldwide and national incidences.

• coneyro says:

Actually, calling this new show “CTU”, would be a better idea than using “24”. This way it makes it more genetic and plausible with new characters.
      The new black lead should make the PC neurotics happy, as well.
      Will give it a try. Who knows? Could be good.

45. cristobal says:

i guess they lost their creativity to write and produce 24 episodes, like the first 8 seasons of “24”. it was disappointing to have only 12 on the last so called season.

46. Cindy MARTINO says:

KEIFER OR NOTHING

47. Michal says:

No Jack – I’m not watching. He made 24 what it was.

48. Kristian says:

Why?? I told them for years, without Jack, you can’t call it 24 anything. Just do a spin-off called CTU and even do CTU Los Angels, CTU New York, CTU Londo…CTU everywhere if you need. You can even do one called Division that quarterbacks multiple CTU field offices to foil the bad guy’s plot.

No Jack = No 24…call it something else.

49. Carlos Lee says:

No Jack, Kate and Tony. I will probably pass. The new 24 plot should be Tony is wrecking havoc in Russia and Jack is released from prison to help catch Tony.