Exclusive
Mandatory Credit: Photo by Sam Deitch/BFAnyc.com/REX/Shutterstock (4432761u)
Mark Indelicato
Chromat show, Autumn Winter 2015, MADE Fashion Week, New York, America - 13 Feb 2015

Dead of Summer: Freeform Horror Series Casts Ugly Betty Vet, Others

It’s going to be a killer summer — perhaps quite literally — for a trio of young actors, including Ugly Betty vet Mark Indelicato.

Freeform’s upcoming chiller Dead of Summer, written and executive-produced by Once Upon a Time creators Adam Horowitz and Eddy Kitsis, along with Once writer Ian Goldberg, has cast its first series-regular characters, TVLine has learned exclusively.

Indelicato will play Blair Raymer, an openly gay, artsy and teasing new counselor (and longtime attendee) at Camp Clearwater, who’s thrilled to see his old friends and ready to get the party started.

Dead of Summer has also cast Paulina Singer (Gotham) as Jessie Tyler, a stunningly hot but slightly conceited Clearwater vet returning as a new counselor — and with a new look and newfound confidence. (She won’t, however, be too fond of camp neophyte Amy.)

Lastly, newcomer Ronen Rubinstein will play Alex, a handsome, protective and brave counselor who’s described as the classic polo-shirt wearing “John Hughes Villain.” He may be a candidate for coolest guy at Clearwater, but he “wants to be friends with everyone,” especially Amy.

The official logline for Dead of Summer, per the network, is as follows:

Set in the late 1980s, school is out for the summer, and a sun-drenched season of firsts beckons the counselors at Camp Clearwater, a seemingly idyllic Midwestern summer camp, including first loves, first kisses – and first kills. Clearwater’s dark, ancient mythology awakens, and what was supposed to be a summer of fun soon turns into one of unforgettable scares and evil at every turn. Part coming-of-age story, part supernatural horror story, “Dead of Summer” is a bold, new series that mixes genres as it examines the light and dark of a summer like no other.

Excited about seeing Indelicato back in a series-regular role? Will you tune in to Dead of Summer? Sound off below!

1. MissEllys says:

Well, this sounds really awful, like the next Scream Queens but without Niecy Nash to redeem it

• Dude says:

Scream Queens was fun and this sounds like what Scream Queens season two should have been. I’m digging the 80s summer camp slasher concept way more than whatever they have planned in that hospital. This is reminding me of the movie ‘The Final Girls’

• Jooshua says:

You are literally reading my thoughts. I loved Scream Queen and I commented below that season 2 should have been summer camp! When I heard it was a hospital, I was like what.. why?! And I JUST watched ‘The Final Girls’ last night! Great movie. ‘Dead of Summer’ should be entertaining.

• dan says:

Final Girls is fantastic. If they bring Jamie Lee back, the hospital setting might work. Halloween 2 was in a hospital, wasn’t it?

2. Jooshua says:

This sounds fun. I was hoping Scream Queens season 2 would be at a summer camp, so I guess this will have to do!

3. rinaex says:

I’d be excited, but it’s on “Freeform”, so…it will be terrible, just like Shadowhunters.

4. DianeDee says:

Happy with diversity but this is the same writes of the racist and misogyny once upon a time, I seriously don’t expect this’ll be good

5. Jared says:

Scream Queens was definetly a better show when you could binge watch the entire season. Watching the first couple episodes week to week bored me personally. But back to this article ..LOVE Ronen and Mark. Happy to see them together on the same series.

6. johnhelvete says:

I am not getting the Scream Queens comparisons since I have heard this described as a John Hughes movie meets a 70’s slasher movie. Perhaps posters are confusing set at a “summer camp” with “campy”

• esteban says:

there was a rumor that next seasons of SQ would be at a summer camp. plus these characters here seem to be the same kind of “types” as the ones on SQ

7. Marci says:

This sounds like a fun series, and I LOVED Mark Indelicato in Ugly Betty. Something to look forward to.

8. Elaine says:

Anyone remember Harper’s Island? This sound just like that only with teenagers.

9. This Sounds like it could be a lot of fun. I’m looking forward to it.

10. Dan the critic says:

Harper’s Island, Scream Queens, Scream, Bates Motel, AHS, Wayward Pines, The Strain, Fringe, and Supernatural, are all horror stories done right – hopefully this is good too.

• Maryann says:

Harper’s Island and Wayward Pines were two of the worst tv shows of the last few years. Harper’s Island made an incredibly ridiculous jump in both who the villain was and their motivation, without any possible clues leading up to the choice, and Wayward Pines pretended to be sci-fi, then had a cliched, horror movie ending. Both series left me sick to my stomach over the time wasted watching them.

11. b says:

This could work if done correctly. The gay artist and the Polo wearing John Hughes villain are the characters Ill be rooting for ;) Scream Queens was a showcase for Emma Roberts but somehow evolved into the Lea Michelle show which is why the final hour suffered she has a limited range and the neck brace was her only redeeming quality

12. Nick says:

This sound like my type of show mystery+ summer camp killer+ coming of age!! Count me in

13. Gerald says:

I read this and thought it sounds like the next American Horror Story.
    I’m in either way. Glad there will be something fun to watch this summer.